• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation = Consoles, Nintendo = Portables, MS = Services

Will MS service strategy work?

• Yes, they will dominate the service market

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • No, this is a bad long term plan

Votes: 62 50.4%
  • Mid

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • other (specifies)

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters

brian0057

Banned
PC + Nintendo will always be the correct choice.
Especially these days when the two western console manufacturers are also putting their games on PC.

Crayon

I'm not convinced ms has locked up the streaming market. It's barely started. Sony and Nintendo are holding their territory right now so one of your things is not like the others.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Captain Planet Hero GIF by Droplet Adaptogen Drinks

Crayon

Meh. How much time do you spend playing the operating system?

Lots. Scrolling through walls of games in a state of paralysis. Steam is the worst with the 10 years of using and countless bundles. Holy moly I get lost picking through that shit and can spend great stretches of time organizing the library.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Microsoft knew they structured game pass to be a service, game pass killed xbox live pretty easily.

Ogbert

PC + Nintendo will always be the correct choice.
Especially these days when the two western console manufacturers are also putting their games on PC.
I used to think the same, but PC ports are so utterly
shit at the moment, there’s a solid argument for a static console.

brian0057

Banned
Perhaps.
But since I buy games a few months after release, I can play them on PC just fine after everyone else was beta testing them since launch. Also, I get them much cheaper.

Last edited:
Third party games and indies who saved us from the terrible first party games from all 3 consoles.

Nintendo still delivering, but need new ips. (I recognize their games quality, but not a fan of majority of nintendo ips)

Thanks third party!

Last edited:
My problem with any attempt at analysis with MS/Xbox is that a lot of time passes and then any previously stated metrics of success are then changed on heel turn since 2011. It's like an ongoing prank or joke. Is it console sales? Is it market share? Is it a path to the living room? Is it a service now? Is it software sales? They change the metric so many times it's hard to follow what it is this year. "Wait you thought that was our metric of success? Well not anymore! It changed yesterday." Before 2011, it did feel like they had a plan and metrics for success. Some of those metrics were shit with the kinnect. But they were there and obvious. It felt like they were taking shit seriously.

Last edited:

iHaunter

Microsoft is neither because they have significantly less service subscriptions.

PS+ has roughly 48 Million & Microsoft has roughly 25 Million.

So Microsoft is losing on all fronts significantly.

FPB-U_mWQAIBQTq

Lasha

I just wait. Games eventually get patched by the developers or community or they tank in price enough that I can overlook the flaws. A truly good game is still good months or years after release.

Ev1L AuRoN

I think Microsoft will inevitably become a monopoly, most likely Sony and Nintendo will eventually follow the SEGA route and turn themselves into third party developers. Cloud will be the norm and ownership of games a relic from the past. The community no longer will be able to maintain gaming history, the new games will be more and more connected, rendering them useless without the background infrastructure anyway. We might still be 10~15 years away of said future, until there I'll play ball with consoles, after that, like a good grumpy grandpa I will play my vintage games and talk about how much better it was when I was young.

PS+ extra is better than Gamepass so I don't agree with this.
I agree with you, but I think people aren't ready to have that conversation.

1-year old AAA Games from Sony >>> Day one Microsoft output. That can change of course but for now that's my sentiment exacly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom