• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation = Consoles, Nintendo = Portables, MS = Services

Will MS service strategy work?

• Yes, they will dominate the service market

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • No, this is a bad long term plan

Votes: 62 50.4%
  • Mid

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • other (specifies)

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I accurately predicted this

4t70gp.jpg

Sony is the console king, Nintendo is the portables king and MS does services. It's never gonna change.

Everyone wins no more war, but do you thinks MS's services are gonna work?

Zones

An accurate description indeed.

But for what MS wants to work, either consumer behavior has to change (gamers en masse being fine with cloud and subscription), or they have to corner Sony to the point of irrelevence.

Mr.Phoenix

By MS we mean Xbox right? And by services, we mean gamepass and/or Xcloud?

I believe the jury is still out on what Xbox is doing, right now, its a lot of nice-sounding ideas and potential, but we are yet to see it really take hold. I do believe though that it in no way means they will be dominant in it, not as they are now(that Activision deal would have gone a long way to make that happen) because I feel that whatever strengths they have now, is something Playstation can negate with simply making games available on their own service on day one. And sony has the IPs and partnerships to grow such a service faster.

So as weird as this may sound, MS gets to make inroads in their current service-based push, because Sony simply does not take it seriously or prefers a different type of business mode..

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
If we're just talking MS, it could work but there still will be consoles. Pull the ROM drive out or whichever but that's where things are headed. Same with Nintendo and Sony some time from now. As much as I like hardware...that's all going to be obsolete in 10-years or less.

Fredrik

Everyone wins no more war, but do you thinks MS's services are gonna work?
Considering how things are going elsewhere subscriptions is going to be where everybody is in the future, not just MS.
If it works businesswise or not is hard to say. In music it seems to work, but vinyl has made a comeback. In movies it seems to work at least on the TV Show side, but the latest Antman movie is still not up on Disney+ but has been on iTunes to purchase for a couple weeks.

My guess: Day 1 AAA games will likely struggle, MS is already selling collector’s editions ahead of the normal release day, trying to catch some day 1 whales. Maybe physical media will be hyped up more, with included manuals and soundtrack etc. Episodic games will do well. Indies will do well as long as their payment to be on a subscription library is good.

Last edited:
Well, we know that Game Pass numbers are running significantly below their expectations, although I would argue that those expectations were way too high to begin with. Seems they were betting on cloud mobile gamers to pick up the slack for GP subs after the Xbox audience was saturated, but that hasn’t panned out, nor do I think it will. We know the type of games that mobile gamers prefer, and it’s not the traditional kind.

However, I do think there is significant potential for cloud streaming directly to TVs as I reckon people do want to play traditional games on their TV. Their PC initiative also seems to be working well with strong Game Pass growth and many of their first party games being quite popular.

In conclusion; too early to tell but I’m optimistic.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

If we're just talking MS, it could work but there still will be consoles. Pull the ROM drive out or whichever but that's where things are headed. Same with Nintendo and Sony some time from now. As much as I like hardware...that's all going to be obsolete in 10-years or less.
Be honest... isn't this the exact same thing that was said before the PS4/XB1 launched? When everyone and their dog was making a streaming service?

Sony = games
Nintendo = games

MS used to have games too. Which coincided with the most successful stretch they’ve ever had.
MS has become that athlete where people keep pointing back to how they came really close to a championship in their second season and captivated everyone.

That athlete has not won a championship, nor come even close to winning one, since that one moment 13 years ago.

Xbox Live Gold is part of Microsoft's services for the Xbox consoles right? XBL Gold is horse manure these days compared to PS Plus Essential when it comes to the games offered each month. Speaking of the XBL Gold membership, Microsoft did try to double the cost of the annual Gold membership from $60 to $120 a couple years ago. Not even an incremental increase, instead they attempted a straight up doubling of the cost of the yearly membership for Xbox gamers who want to play multiplayer online games and aren't interested in their Game Pass Ultimate offering.

Also, I don't think consumers can even purchase the $60 annual Gold membership directly through the Xbox consoles anymore as Microsoft took away that option, and now the annual Gold membership option is only available via other retailers (although this might have changed since I last checked on this so perhaps someone here can confirm if this is still the case). So much for Microsoft being 'service-friendly', I'd actually say Sony is far more service-friendly since you can actually purchase a $60 PS Plus Essential tier membership directly via their console, and occasionally Sony even offers discounts on the Essential membership and highlights it on their Home Screen for their customers to purchase.

bender

What time is it?
I think we've all had thoughts about the Xbox brand going away or being far less of a focus compared to Gamepass, XCloud, and as a games publisher. The 360 will most likely go down as their most successful console generation and likely be the ceiling they look toward for future hardware iterations. There are just certain territories they haven't and most likely will not be able to make inroads into. I do think we'll see another Xbox but it might be different approach than chasing power and trying to compete with Sony. Something like another Series S which has a really low barrier of entry.

Lasha

I would phrase it as :

Nintendo: Games, Consoles - Nintendo's primary business is producing first party games to play on Nintendo systems. Shitty services and poor digital options.
Sony: Services and Digital Retail - Sony's business is centered around services revenue and being the defacto third party console for the free 30% cut of all games sold.
Xbox: Services - Xbox is almost entirely focused on its ecosystem approach and maximizing revenue per customer through services like gamepass and XBL.

Out of the three, Sony is probably in the weakest position long term since it lacks the first party library to survive if gamers move to services or the console market moves to open platforms. Sony's operating income is less than Nintendo's despite massively higher revenues highlighting its reliance on third party sales. I think it needs to use the current gen to make moves that protect against any future market changes. Microsoft is in a weird position. Gamepass represents a massive risk that may or may not pay off. The existing profitable business and Microsoft's overall wealth are the only reasons I think its prospects are more secure. I think Nintendo is in a strong position but I don't think Nintendo wants to be a game company forever. The success of the Mario movie combined with its moves to leverage its iconic IP in other mediums makes Nintendo look like its pivoting away from tech to become something like Disney. I rate it the strongest because of its success with the switch and massive cash reserves that offer freedom to make a mistake without punching out.

SeraphJan

MS is the gaming fridges, toasters, nail polish and cookbooks king.
This is way too brutal:messenger_confounded:

Microsoft really need more games, missed how diverse their libraries are in Xbox 360 era, Series X is a great console from a pure tech point of view (Good hardware, Good OS), but content is still the king.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Shouldn't Nintendo also be counted in with consoles since the Switch (and I assume the Switch 2) is a hybrid system?

BbMajor7th

Stealth 'when you think about it, MS is actually winning' thread (recycled from about five years ago). Sony is clearly moving beyond their traditional model and looking towards transmedia mega IP with movie and TV show tie-ins. Services are also a massive area of development for them. On top of that, their traditional model is in very healthy shape.

Ogbert

Well, Sony's game subs have twice the subbers than MS and make way more money than the MS ones.

I'd say Sony is the console, game subs and console VR king.
Nintendo the portables king.
MS is the gaming fridges, toasters, nail polish and cookbooks king.
Console VR king? Lol.

Hell of a kingdom. About 1000 inhabitants.

Ogbert

Anyway, as others have pointed out, it’s games. Games games games.

Phil Spencer is 100% wrong on this, and a concerning admission for the head of Xbox Divisions.

Nintendo has the biggest IPs in gaming. Sony the second. Xbox has let its games slowly fade away. They have focussed on quantity of content rather than quality.

warnkale123

Banned
PlayStation and Nintendo consoles offer different gaming experiences. PlayStation has a focus on high-quality graphics and immersive gameplay, while Nintendo is known for its family-friendly titles and innovative hardware. It ultimately depends on personal preference and the types of games one enjoys playing check more on DownloadKaren.

Last edited:
PlayStation and Nintendo consoles offer different gaming experiences. PlayStation has a focus on high-quality graphics and immersive gameplay, while Nintendo is known for its family-friendly titles and innovative hardware. It ultimately depends on personal preference and the types of games one enjoys playing check more on *edited link*.

This is chatgpt response, lmao, plus a bit of spam at the end. I wonder if now bot farms are using the api provided by chatgpt to evolve their spam capabilities. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Time is the only currency that matters - and Sony and Nintendo respect my time.

MS’s hype cycle doesn’t respect my time, next year doesn’t respect my time, 50 MC doesn’t respect my time, wait for 3 years until MCC is fixed or SoT is good doesn’t respect my time.

Celine

Nintendo is the king of consoles. Period.
HE1OxMi.jpg

A curiosity:
As March 1995 (PS1 was launched in December 1994 in Japan) NES + GB + SNES had sold in total 141.49 million units therefore since the introduction of the PlayStation brand of consoles Nintendo has sold around 100 million dedicated video game systems more than what Sony did in the same timeframe.

* Note:
I considered only standalone consoles with interchangeable software (devices like Color TV Game, Game & Watch, Nintendo plug & play retro consoles, PlayStation Classic, PocketStation and add-ons in general were excluded).

Nautilus

Banned
HE1OxMi.jpg

A curiosity:
As March 1995 (PS1 was launched in December 1994 in Japan) NES + GB + SNES had sold in total 141.49 million units therefore since the introduction of the PlayStation brand of consoles Nintendo has sold around 100 million dedicated video game systems more than what Sony did in the same timeframe.

* Note:
I considered only standalone consoles with interchangeable software (devices like Color TV Game, Game & Watch, Nintendo plug & play retro consoles, PlayStation Classic, PocketStation and add-ons in general were excluded).
Exactly. And now with the Switch having a clear and plausible shot at being THE best selling console of all time, it seems increasingly silly to disregard Nintendo.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Nintendo destroys Sony in consoles and first party game sales. They are the true King of consoles. But yes, I agree. Sony is the king of high end consoles, Microsoft are the kings of Service - PC, Console and cloud.

supernova8

Banned
Even if they go down the purely cloud-based service route, Microsoft still needs some differentiating exclusive software (so-called killer apps) otherwise what are they going to do if/when Amazon realizes it also cannot compete on exclusive game content and just decides to permanently partner with Sony to offer the Playstation equivalent to whatever Microsoft wants to do with Xbox but with the added benefit of a lot more exclusive content (first party games and exclusive third party deals).

The likely failure of the ActiBliz acquisition suggests that Microsoft can not really rely on simply acquiring its way to victory, and it doesn't seem like any third parties want to make games exclusively for Xbox (or maybe Xbox just isn't offering that option?).

People seem to complain about Sony/Playstation having all these amazing exclusivity deals (like FF16 as a timed PS5 exclusive) but, as I've explained countless times already, Microsoft (and by extension Xbox) has far more cash than Sony to throw at this problem so it's obviously not a money issue. It's probably a "people" issue. More specifically, game companies (especially Japanese ones) would rather collaborate with Playstation than with Xbox, and it's up to Xbox to figure that out, not up to Sony to squander its lead.

Also, before people say "oh Japanese companies just don't like Xbox", that might be part of it but remember that only one member of Sony Interactive Entertainment (ie Playstation)'s 9-strong board of directors is even Japanese.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Be honest... isn't this the exact same thing that was said before the PS4/XB1 launched? When everyone and their dog was making a streaming service?
Yeah and you asked me to be honest. But, I still like that wishful thinking that things would improve. You know right before the 7th-gen, I thought everyone was going to eventually bail on the standard consoles and have these futuristic VR units. Nothing quite like we have now. I think part of the reason the 3 bigger platforms are where they are now is that it's hard to let go of what we've done.

yurinka

Shouldn't Nintendo also be counted in with consoles since the Switch (and I assume the Switch 2) is a hybrid system?
Switch is mainly a portable console with the monopoly of that market so it's what mainly defines it, but yes, can also be counted as a home console too because as hybrid it's also a home console because even if it's a portable it can be docked to a tv turning it into a home console.

Last edited:

yurinka

Console VR king? Lol.

Hell of a kingdom. About 1000 inhabitants.
The last PSVR1 sales number I remember was "over 5 million units sold", not 1000 units. Sony expects to outperform it with PSVR2.

And as happened with other things like game subscriptions or cloud gaming before, right now Sony is the only one/the first one seriously betting on the nascent modern VR market, so if/when MS and Nintendo joins them they'll already have a bigger established userbase bigger than the one from the competition.

Last edited:

Ogbert

The last PSVR1 sales number I remember was "over 5 million units sold", not 1000 units. Sony expects to outperform it with PSVR2.

And as happened with other things like game subscriptions or cloud gaming before, right now Sony is the only one/the first one seriously betting on the nascent modern VR market, so if/when MS and Nintendo joins them they'll already have a bigger established userbase bigger than the one from the competition.
I was being a tool.

Good on Sony for pushing VR. It’s just not going to happen. Will always be niche. But it’s great that they are supporting it.

I’d rather they released a Vita 2, but I understand why they don’t want to force that particular battle. They don’t need to.

Top Bottom