• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation confirmed to not attend E3 2020

thelastword

Banned
It's as simple as this; MS needs E3, they don't have the mindshare and trust that Sony has.... On the flip Sony does not need E3 because of the trust they have built in gamers..... Sony can announce the next system in the recesses of Mexico, more people will be tuned, boiling down with anticipation and expectation and excitement over an MS conference at the Four Seasons.

Outrunner

It's logical, isn't it? Present their new system in June/July when it's supposed to start selling somewhere in November? To Run into supply problems? Or present your new system earlier, give retailers time to order / set the pre-orders going and have a smooth launch on time for Christmas?

Tripolygon

Banned
It's as simple as this; MS needs E3, they don't have the mindshare and trust that Sony has.... On the flip Sony does not need E3 because of the trust they have built in gamers..... Sony can announce the next system in the recesses of Mexico, more people will be tuned, boiling down with anticipation and expectation and excitement over an MS conference at the Four Seasons.
Microsoft does not need E3, E3 needs Microsoft. If Microsoft pulls out of E3 that would be the end of E3. Nobody here watched E3 because of the name, we do because of the companies that choose to attend E3.

Here's another thing a lot of people don't get. Any company can have their own event around E3 period without necessarily being part of E3.

Microsoft does not need E3, E3 needs Microsoft. If Microsoft pulls out of E3 that would be the end of E3. Nobody here watched E3 because of the name, we do because of the companies that choose to attend E3.

Here's another thing a lot of people don't get. Any company can have their own event around E3 period without necessarily being part of E3.
I mean technically Xbox isn't even in attendance of E3, they're literally hosting booths, and holding their own press conference within the confines of a building they sponsor across the street.

The only attachment to E3 beyond proximity is the timeframe.

Mochilador

They did their own event for the PS4 announcement. Realistic to expect one for PS5 either next month or soon after that, with State of Play addresses throughout the year. No need to coincide with E3 and compete for headlines.
Well, they already announced the PS5 through Twitter so I don't think they will re-announce it.
Still, it's pretty weird to see them skipping E3 once again. There's no reason for that.

Airbus Jr

Banned
So heres the thing...

Heard lot of stories that the reason theyre not attending E3 is because theres been a feud between Sony and ESA ..

So turns out theyve been leaking personal profile, gaming related stuff etc...

Could be that Sony dont want their secret exclusive game to be leaked on E3 show...So they decided to move on to other gaming event...

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
I mean technically Xbox isn't even in attendance of E3, they're literally hosting booths, and holding their own press conference within the confines of a building they sponsor across the street.

The only attachment to E3 beyond proximity is the timeframe.
My point exactly. But Microsoft does refer to their event as part of E3.

Outrunner

So heres the thing...

Heard lot of stories that the reason theyre not attending E3 is because theres been a feud between Sony and ESA ..

Could be that Sony dont want their secret exclusive game to be leaked on E3 show...So they decided to move on to other gaming event...

Man, they said it very clearly:
"Sony's CEO Shawn Layden stated in a February 2019 interview that with changes in retailer procurement, their own switch to fewer but more quality titles, and the rapid spread of news via the Internet that having a trade show as late as June is no longer helpful, and that Sony had to create its own Destination PlayStation experience in February as to secure retailer sales"

Gamernyc78

Banned
What Sony needs to do is have a MAJOR event during E3, have their own show, see if they can draw people away. Otherwise, I don’t understand this line of thought.

I mean thy have ppl analyzing which is the best time for the pr blitz. I say let them do it when thy feel is the best time. Bet your life the hardcore are waiting salivating and once info drops and hits youtube and social media the masses will know. The dumb ass logo got 5 million plus likes in a day come on tht says it all. Everyone will know ps5 is dropping or there is info.

Last edited:

Bkdk

Sony is producing so little first party games and when they produce them, it’s Linear game with heavy cutscene focus, at most with a psuedo openworld.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Sony is producing so little first party games and when they produce them, it’s Linear game with heavy cutscene focus, at most with a psuedo openworld.

Lol 😂 😂 😂 thy are producing as many or more than the competition. At a higher quality at tht.

My bad I didnt know Dreams, Astrobot, Infamous, Firewall, Horizon, Gran Turismo, etc fit tht bill. I know with the "pseudo open world bs and linear" you tried to capture all the games for your trolling narrative but it just doesn't work.

🧂🧂🧂🧂🧂🧂

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Directs are cool
State of plays have the wrong tempo and tone, and they spoil them before they even begin.
The only directs I like are the ones that are about one game only. But when you give me a 20 minute shitsode and stuffing everything there like the news line you see under every news channel, then no, fuck that shit.

But E3 is dying! /s

pgnvAiV.jpg

So the top conference lost interest YOY.

So heres the thing...

And every other publisher *wants* their announcements leaked? Come on.

The whole ESA leak is overblown by sjw a la Jason Schreier and Co., because it 'hurt' them. Nobody else cares about the leak and it's not like ESA intentionally leaked anything, so shitting on them now is just toxic, unfair bs. There's probably no game event this year with better data security than E3.

Bkdk

Lol 😂 😂 😂 thy are producing as many or more than the competition. At a higher quality at tht.

My bad I didnt know Dreams, Astrobot, Infamous, Firewall, Horizon, Gran Turismo, etc fit tht bill. I know with the "pseudo open world bs and linear" you tried to capture all the games for your trolling narrative but it just doesn't work.

🧂🧂🧂🧂🧂🧂
Death stranding, last of us 2, days gone are all linear and pseudo open world games, horizon zero dawn is early 2017, which makes 2+ years of linear games, it’s crazy. Sony’s line up is crazy linear compare to what MS have. 2-3 years. Also horizon zero dawn isn’t even a game that have much choices from side quests, I have to stretch so far to even define it not as psuedo open world game, it has a big world but still super linear. It’s very linear for people like me who is looking for gameplay choices that can alter storyline and game world. Because of you keep playing Sony games this gen makes people like you don’t know what is a true non linear game anymore,.

Last edited:

Sygma

Sony doesn't need E3, and it was becoming a shit show because of the ESA anyway

good for them. Why renting a venue for millions when Twitter and passionnate will inevitably relay the message on every single forum for free ? all they need is their own format of ... HOLD ON A MINUTE

Last edited:

Fbh

Holy shit Pachter was right?

Anyway, kinda sucks as it simply makes that week of E3 less exciting.
I don't get all of the fighting over E3 though, no one outside of gaming forums gives a shit. People will read/watch about the Ps5 on their social media news feed or from their favorite youtube channel.... it's just not going to be on the second week of june.

Humdinger

Having worked as Marketing manager and communications manager for more years than I care to mention, what I can say is that Trade shows, no matter what the industry are always one of the biggest discussions and expenditure. ....

Launching at trade shows today is a risky business and it’s why many companies don’t go down this route any more.

For one, you have way less control of the messaging and mapping you are trying to get across, in fact, months of preparation can go awry through just one comment, photo, video posted to social media. Sony holding their own conference allows them to control the narrative as tightly as is possible these days. It’s up to them if they invite the press and who from the press they invite, this is much easier to control than a trade show. Obviously, social media is another matter but if they pack the hall with PS5 fans, they will control the narrative. The only negative on these types of shows is that the press hates them. Normally one channel is picked as the major outlet and there’s generally a lack of questioning and critique involved, which to be fair is exactly what Sony would want.

Interesting perspective, thank you. I think that probably sums up Sony's thinking pretty well. They can more effectively control timing and messaging this way. Lots of leaks happen prior to E3, which spoil things for the companies trying to pull off a surprise. The media are in a frenzy, with tons of stories pouring out about tons of different games, most of which gets ignored because of all the noise. Silly little pecadillos like flute guy get turned into memes that haunt the company, despite the effort and expense they required. It's a lot of work, and they don't have a lot of control over how things pan out.

Personally, I'm a little disappointed that they won't be attending E3. I've enjoyed E3 for 20 years or so, and it is kind of sad to see it on the decline. But I understand Sony's decision. I'd probably do the same thing, if I were in their position. They can more easily control timing and messaging this way. They've got a lot riding on the launch of the PS5. If they can reduce expenditure, risk, and effort with this route, and meanwhile increase control over timing and messaging, then that makes sense from a business perspective.

Last edited:

SNG32

I mean most third parties will be showing games for ps4 and ps5 and usually State of Play is usually where Sony announces exclusives. So I really don't think it's a big deal. I mean it's an end of era an E3 ain't what it use to be.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Death stranding, last of us 2, days gone are all linear and pseudo open world games, horizon zero dawn is early 2017, which makes 2+ years of linear games, it’s crazy. Sony’s line up is crazy linear compare to what MS have. 2-3 years. Also horizon zero dawn isn’t even a game that have much choices from side quests, I have to stretch so far to even define it not as psuedo open world game, it has a big world but still super linear. It’s very linear for people like me who is looking for gameplay choices that can alter storyline and game world. Because of you keep playing Sony games this gen makes people like you don’t know what is a true non linear game anymore,.

I'm struggling to come up with a single XB1 exclusive that has "gameplay choices that can alter storyline and game world". Maybe State of Decay 2? Is that it?

Horizon's game world might not change based on choices you make but that doesn't make it linear. Once you pass the first section of the game you're free to roam and do side quests, collect stuff, explore, farm and grind if you want.

Bkdk

I'm struggling to come up with a single XB1 exclusive that has "gameplay choices that can alter storyline and game world". Maybe State of Decay 2? Is that it?

Horizon's game world might not change based on choices you make but that doesn't make it linear. Once you pass the first section of the game you're free to roam and do side quests, collect stuff, explore, farm and grind if you want.
They don’t have it this gen, but with obsidian and inexile they should have it next gen, also a PC release would support modding to make it even more open, at least they give me much more hope compared to the Sony first party devs. Unless mini games created from Dreams give me some surprise here and there, but there are lots of limits from this.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
They don’t have it this gen, but with obsidian and inexile they should have it next gen, also a PC release would support modding to make it even more open, at least they give me much more hope compared to the Sony first party devs. Unless mini games created from Dreams give me some surprise here and there, but there are lots of limits from this.

So your complaint is that Sony don't have a thing that Microsoft also don't have, but might have later..?

molasar

Banned

MS only needs killer aps without them E3 serves as a method of bs customers towards their gaming platforms.

Skyfox

State of play is shit. The ps5 logo reveal was stupid and the devkits design of ps5 has leaked everywhere so if its similar to the real thing it wont be as interesting.

Contrast with how the ps4 was teased and then revealed at e3 and remember that ps4 pro reveal was done outside e3 and no one cared and youll slowly begin to realise that yes, Sony have fucked up.

They lose all the e3 streamers etc.

Theres no excitement. Theres no fun comparison with the competition.

By skipping e3 again Sony have sucked the fun out of what was a unique cultural event.

They've chickened out and Im not impressed.

Contrast with Xbox who have been as meek as shit since they fucked up by torpedoing their own console reveal in the "always on, Kinect" event a few weeks before e3 2013, and you'll realise how Sony are missing a brilliant opportunity by snubbing the core.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
MS only needs killer aps without them E3 serves as a method of bs customers towards their gaming platforms.
Like last year, so many third party trailers and lots of CG cutscenes, lots of DLC to existing games......That's to a base that was starving for great games for 5 years......The real question remains; what will MS show at this E3, what games? We know that they will have nothing ready for Scarlett's launch, so whatever they have, certainly can't be shown yet, as it's years away...….So perhaps a CG movie from the Initiative, but that Studio was hyped so much as the Sony Studio Beater, poaching all the talent, and talk that their game will be an instant classic etc...

Truth is, MS's hardware reveal wont be enough, we all saw the reception to the Series X Box reveal vs a PS logo........I expect some Halo Infinite gameplay, a Gears teaser and a Forza 8 trailer, maybe a Fable reveal...….along with a few Ubi, EA trailers.....I'm not sure that MS is going to pull people in with that...….It's pretty much the same first party games and the third party games is coming out everywhere........Don't expect to see any new IP besides Initaitive's teaser and that game will be a 2022/3 release, at best......

On the flip, expect exclusives from Sony being announced around the E3 timeframe and you can bet there will be new IP's...Also, if Sony hardware is stronger as a few devs have said and it's easier to develop for, you will get even more info about that around E3 time too, perhaps differences in gameplay trailers will tell the tale...….When EA provides Sony with a trailer for the next Battlefield, it will be based on PS hardware, so they can compare that with footage from MS hardware...….As opposed to E3 reveals where they just use PC footage and inscribe the logos based on the conference.

Psykodad

Banned
So heres the thing...

From what l got, Sony and other companies want E3 to be more gamer-focused instead of industry-focused.

And since they can't come to an agreement, apparently Sony is skipping E3 this year.
But Sony isn't the only company in a disagreement with ESA.
EA was named too.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Can we just for one moment forget about the business side of this?

What do you want as a consumer? For those of us who can't attend these events are you simply satisfied with a few youtube videos? You're happy about competition being diminished to these proprietary events?

I feel going this route takes a huge step in letting the air out of the excitement balloon. I'm gonna miss this mainly because no other event truly captured the spirit of competition like E3. This is fuckin bullshit.

Why would they change a formula that works for them? It's their bread and butter. Even with those shots there has been multiple diverse titles this gen like: last guardian, dreams, astro bot, concrete genie, Yakuza etc.
What bangers has xbox had since Halo 3..... ill wait
Not here to play list wars..simply stating that Sony went from having a diverse 1st party lineup to simply pumping out third person action adventure games with smaller vr experience games to fill in the cracks.....it's been very lazy.

Ms this gen has representations across fighting/driving/sandbox and it's own third person action adventures and Nintendo has been on another level in terms of diverse first party stuff....regardless of if you call them bangers/hits or mediocre titles they are different experiences and you become bored with third person action adventure titles as the third party is saturated with it.

Sony should be tapping into their relationship with Sega and revisiting some of their 1st party ips that are dormant and they should really start going back to the ps1/ps2 era to look at these games that shaped the PlayStation brand ...stuff like twisted metal/warhawk/jumping flash/ridge racer/a proper grant turismo/parappa the rapper/syphon filter/tenchu.....you don't need to put a sequel number next to those....re-imagine those sorts of games instead of the conveyer belt of 3rd party action adventure games.....as great as they are im fucking bored with that genre.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Not here to play list wars..simply stating that Sony went from having a diverse 1st party lineup to simply pumping out third person action adventure games with smaller vr experience games to fill in the cracks.....it's been very lazy.

Ms this gen has representations across fighting/driving/sandbox and it's own third person action adventures and Nintendo has been on another level in terms of diverse first party stuff....regardless of if you call them bangers/hits or mediocre titles they are different experiences and you become bored with third person action adventure titles as the third party is saturated with it.

Sony should be tapping into their relationship with Sega and revisiting some of their 1st party ips that are dormant and they should really start going back to the ps1/ps2 era to look at these games that shaped the PlayStation brand ...stuff like twisted metal/warhawk/jumping flash/ridge racer/a proper grant turismo/parappa the rapper/syphon filter/tenchu.....you don't need to put a sequel number next to those....re-imagine those sorts of games instead of the conveyer belt of 3rd party action adventure games.....as great as they are im fucking bored with that genre.
Playstation has a much more diverse library than MS and that is not an opinion its a fact esp this gen. When MS threw in the towel two years in Sony was the one pumping out diverse and quality games. The original xbox gave us Halo, 360 gave us Gears, what did the xbox one give us going forward....Ill wait for your answer

Last edited:

DJ12

I'm with you, others might disagree, but I think it's a mistake not to debut the PS5 at E3.
I'm interested to know why you think E3 actually matters.

There are much bigger gaming events. Most content from E3 is consumed broken down into trailers on youtube.

Sure hardcore gamers sit through the boring conferences, but these people have usually already decided which console their getting so E3 doesn't really do anything to change their perception.

There is literally no difference between attending e3 and just releasing a ton of in game content and teaser trailers on the same day as far as the mainstream go.

Seems like some of you are mainly upset because you cannot stick it to Sony for a week or so after as "MS won E3" despite that just meaning they had the least shit conference rather than it being any good.

E3 is dead, the ESA obviously tried a powerplay with Sony and Sony told them to fuck off.

MS certainly need e3 more so were more compliant. MS would be better off doing their own things also, but they are in no position to at this point being so far behind in market share. Every opportunity needs to be taken. Which is why they are currently reacting to everything Sony does and making it blatantly obvious by doing it almost instantly.

This. So much THIS.

Kagey K

Banned
Why would they change a formula that works for them? It's their bread and butter. Even with those shots there has been multiple diverse titles this gen like: last guardian, dreams, astro bot, concrete genie, Yakuza etc.
What bangers has xbox had since Halo 3..... ill wait

What? That’s Sega, Sony has nothing to do with it and they are coming to XB1.

EDMIX

Not only that but Sony hasn't done a PS Experience since 2018 and skipped events like TGS and Gamescom. It's weird when people say "well, they'll do their own event". What event?

They mean like the reveal in New York or the PSX Event or likely something else.

Could be, maybe they don't want to pay more money just to have less secret reveals.

There you have why E3 is important: it's exactly at that moment that Xbox one signed it's death sentence and PS4 won the generation (even before exclusives and all).

MS didn't start losing because of where this was said, they started losing because this was said at all....

Kagey K

Banned
2020 will be kicking off with Ori and the Will of the Wisps for Xbox and PC. Then, Bleeding Edge and ‘Grounded’ will be coming in March from Ninja Theory and Obsidian Entertainment respectively. Gears Tactics is arriving in April, as will Minecraft Dungeons.

Other games planned for the year without specific release dates include Microsoft Flight Simulator, Battletoads, Psychonauts 2, a remaster for Wasteland 1 and of course, Halo Infinite.

I dont know. This is what’s announced from Xbox Game Studios just in 2020. Granted not all are exclusive but it looks pretty diverse to me, and we haven’t seen the E3 announcements yet.

Gamernyc78

Banned

I dont know. This is what’s announced from Xbox Game Studios just in 2020. Granted not all are exclusive but it looks pretty diverse to me, and we haven’t seen the E3 announcements yet.

Idk tht list looks weak to me Gears tactics, Battletoads, Bleeding edge? Weak sauce but yeah there is some variety. I think Flight Simulator will be the most fun out of all.

Last edited:

Klayzer

I'm interested to know why you think E3 actually matters.

There are much bigger gaming events. Most content from E3 is consumed broken down into trailers on youtube.

Sure hardcore gamers sit through the boring conferences, but these people have usually already decided which console their getting so E3 doesn't really do anything to change their perception.

There is literally no difference between attending e3 and just releasing a ton of in game content and teaser trailers on the same day as far as the mainstream go.

Seems like some of you are mainly upset because you cannot stick it to Sony for a week or so after as "MS won E3" despite that just meaning they had the least shit conference rather than it being any good.

E3 is dead, the ESA obviously tried a powerplay with Sony and Sony told them to fuck off.

MS certainly need e3 more so were more compliant. MS would be better off doing their own things also, but they are in no position to at this point being so far behind in market share. Every opportunity needs to be taken. Which is why they are currently reacting to everything Sony does and making it blatantly obvious by doing it almost instantly.
I'm not in the "stick it to Sony" camp at all. E3 may have lost some of its importance due to social media and the like, but it's still the trade show in America.

As for some of your other points, I can't really provide a counter to it, because I'm of the same opinion as you. Its just difficult to imagine, Sony is debuting a new console without any E3 coverage.

Top Bottom