• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation confirmed to not attend E3 2020

EDMIX

Hey looks like I responded to the wrong post. And I meant to say Sony's strategy can't possibly be better than MS and Ninty. And if it's due to financial reasons then just LOL.

How? Sony's strategy is to go to many, many events all over the world and still do State Of Plays. For all you know they still get millions upon millions of views all while saving money to buy studios and create new games.

So if they have more money to create more games and are able to get even more views, that could be a better strategy for them vs spend more to have a bloated event with announcements all fighting for some attention.

MS been going for a few years and ended up selling the least systems out of the 3.... So I think Sony sees EA, Rockstar, Activision all moving huge units and realizes they don't need to keep wasting money that could be spent on actual content if people are just watching Youtube.

This method allows for them to have each game get its own media cycle to get more attention and not lost in the shuffle. Its why you even see all those publishers making announcements in May BEFORE E3.

Psykodad

Banned
How? Sony's strategy is to go to many, many events all over the world and still do State Of Plays. For all you know they still get millions upon millions of views all while saving money to buy studios and create new games.

So if they have more money to create more games and are able to get even more views, that could be a better strategy for them vs spend more to have a bloated event with announcements all fighting for some attention.

MS been going for a few years and ended up selling the least systems out of the 3.... So I think Sony sees EA, Rockstar, Activision all moving huge units and realizes they don't need to keep wasting money that could be spent on actual content if people are just watching Youtube.

This method allows for them to have each game get its own media cycle to get more attention and not lost in the shuffle. Its why you even see all those publishers making announcements in May BEFORE E3.
Xbox is mostly about ponchos and Cirque du Soleil.

Anyway, E3 has become a circus. The last great E3 was when FFVII Remake, Shenmue III and TLG were announced. The one before that was E3 2013.
Other then those two, E3 has been mediocre at best this gen.

Last edited:

Pug

Having worked as Marketing manager and communications manager for more years than I care to mention, what I can say is that Trade shows, no matter what the industry are always one of the biggest discussions and expenditure. Trade shows are still important, miss a major and competitors instantly wonder if the company is not at one, if a cutting exercise is going on or worse still, they in the shite financially. Obviously, this isn't the case with Sony and I understand what they are doing. Years back trade shows were a great place to launch major new product lines as you could control the messaging, butter up the press at the conference with drink and free food, then wait a few days for the stories to appear in print material. Launching at trade shows today is a risky business and it’s why many companies don’t go down this route any more.

For one, you have way less control of the messaging and mapping you are trying to get across, in fact, months of preparation can go awry through just one comment, photo, video posted to social media. Sony holding their own conference allows them to control the narrative as tightly as is possible these days. It’s up to them if they invite the press and who from the press they invite, this is much easier to control than a trade show. Obviously, social media is another matter but if they pack the hall with PS5 fans, they will control the narrative. The only negative on these types of shows is that the press hates them. Normally one channel is picked as the major outlet and there’s generally a lack of questioning and critique involved, which to be fair is exactly what Sony would want.

Zero7

Kind if an arrogant and dickish move, but I kinda get it.

Why spend millions on a trade show, where you will be sharing and competing for the spotlight?

Sony hosting their own events and live feeds is cheaper for them and all eyes will be on nothing but them.

Nintendo were the first to see this ironically. And do you really think the average PS4 owner really knows what E3 is?

It makes sense. It's not like I wanted it to happen, and I hope that State of Play improves and makes up for this (lol gl).

Yeah the biggest gaming event is suddenly isn't the "right venue" but hey, we will participate in hundreds of smaller events across the globe!

Just stick to your event at this point and that's it. Better than the rest of the bollocks you said at least
The expo was cut in half last year, I don't think it's the biggest gaming event anymore.

It's slowly dying.

Bad move from Sony. It was understandable in 2019, since they only showcased games, but... a new console? New consoles MUST be on E3. It's THE event where companies show their new consoles and compete with each other.

Heck, PS4 won the generation thanks to the fiasco that was Microsoft's E3 presentation in 2013. It's THAT important.

Lol okay, Microsoft avatar. 🤪

Thing is, the event is dying, and PS4 won this generation because it had mlm ore and better exclusives, had a better price tag, etc. You really think that a couple million people who view these things make a difference? Maybe I'm missing something, but there's no way you can give any credit to E3 when it comes to that, just because they announced it there doesn't mean anything, it was because of their strategy. I have a feeling that next gen will be closer to this gen.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
E3 is a small gaming event compared to gamescon and many other events, so I understand they want to focus on the larger events instead.
Based on what? Because E3 is definitely has the biggest coverage and attention

The expo was cut in half last year, I don't think it's the biggest gaming event anymore.

It's slowly dying.
Yes because cunts like Nintendo and Sony decided to give it the finger

Lol so now Xbox not selling as much as the PS4 and Switch has something to do with E3 ...? Thanks for sharing your thoughts but we have different opinions. I don't see how it benefits Sony and you think it's a good move.

Now lets see how this works out for them :)

Anyway, E3 has become a circus. The last great E3 was when FFVII Remake, Shenmue III and TLG were announced. The one before that was E3 2013.

When was the Cirque du soleil at MS E3 again please remind us ... ?

Based on what? Because E3 is definitely has the biggest coverage and attention

Yes because cunts like Nintendo and Sony decided to give it the finger
How is it their fault when the company who runs it had recently changed their policies? It's their fault.

It's not nearly as big as Gamescom anymore, things is that Americans like me would have to travel hours and hours to get there.

EDMIX

As for all the other multiplat publishers you mentioned, it's just not the same thing because they aren't pushing a platform/ecosystem like Sony, MS and Nin do.

It doesn't matter.

A trailer shows for GTAV on Youtube, it becomes on of the best selling games in the world.

The information released on Youtube by the publisher, not at a event. The product is irrelevant.

Sony didn't even reveal PS4 at E3, they did it at their own event in New York, heck even Nintendo that you JUST BROUGHT UP revealed Switch on a trailer.... and then later at their OWN EVENT IN NEW YORK!

So the trailer got 40 million views, no E3 and the system sold fine...

Let's see how this pans out for Sony but I can't help but have the feeling something just doesn't feel right since 2019 at Sony. Maybe it's the total shift in their communication style I don't know.

By that logic Switch should have failed. It was revealed during a trailer and they had their own event. So I think you are overacting and you've yet to even explain HOW they could sell record units all with a reveal and hands on even all before a single E3 showing yet went on to move record units. You've yet to even explain how on earth Rockstar broke as many records as they did with zero E3 showings in YEARS. So this "doesn't feel right" would be like saying Red Dead 2 reveal doesn't feel right, oh its not at E3, sounds like no one will hear of it and it might fail cause no one watches Youtube /s

So Sony is seeing what Nintendo saw, what EA saw, what Rockstar saw and what Activision saw and many more. The key is engagement and views, the place you are at regarding the trailer is absolutely irrelevant, how many people have EVER heard say they won't buy a game cause it was revealed on Youtube and not at the physical location of E3? So all roads lead to Youtube and Twitch and the consumer simply wants the trailer.

The location of the event itself is irrelevant. Even us here, majority of us will watch many E3 stuff at home on Youtube... which begs to question why go to the event if you could just go on Youtube and upload for free, any time you feel like it , dominate a media cycle etc?

By that logic you worry about Call Of Duties too considering those don't even get reveals at those events anymore and just get trailers Youtube. Didn't seem to stop them from moving record units and getting huge views.

Stop asking for the event, start asking for the RESULTS of said event. If the goal is to get MORE views, explain how on earth Nintendo, Rockstar, EA and many more are getting massive views on Youtube outside such an event?

It doesn't matter.

A trailer shows for GTAV on Youtube, it becomes on of the best selling games in the world.

The information released on Youtube by the publisher, not at a event. The product is irrelevant.

Sony didn't even reveal PS4 at E3, they did it at their own event in New York, heck even Nintendo that you JUST BROUGHT UP revealed Switch on a trailer.... and then later at their OWN EVENT IN NEW YORK!

So the trailer got 40 million views, no E3 and the system sold fine...

By that logic Switch should have failed. It was revealed during a trailer and they had their own event. So I think you are overacting and you've yet to even explain HOW they could sell record units all with a reveal and hands on even all before a single E3 showing yet went on to move record units. You've yet to even explain how on earth Rockstar broke as many records as they did with zero E3 showings in YEARS. So this "doesn't feel right" would be like saying Red Dead 2 reveal doesn't feel right, oh its not at E3, sounds like no one will hear of it and it might fail cause no one watches Youtube /s

So Sony is seeing what Nintendo saw, what EA saw, what Rockstar saw and what Activision saw and many more. The key is engagement and views, the place you are at regarding the trailer is absolutely irrelevant, how many people have EVER heard say they won't buy a game cause it was revealed on Youtube and not at the physical location of E3? So all roads lead to Youtube and Twitch and the consumer simply wants the trailer.

The location of the event itself is irrelevant. Even us here, majority of us will watch many E3 stuff at home on Youtube... which begs to question why go to the event if you could just go on Youtube and upload for free, any time you feel like it , dominate a media cycle etc?

By that logic you worry about Call Of Duties too considering those don't even get reveals at those events anymore and just get trailers Youtube. Didn't seem to stop them from moving record units and getting huge views.

Stop asking for the event, start asking for the RESULTS of said event. If the goal is to get MORE views, explain how on earth Nintendo, Rockstar, EA and many more are getting massive views on Youtube outside such an event?

NINTENDO NEVER SKIPPED E3 AND IS STILL AT E3.

stop comparing Nintendo to Sony. It's not the same situation at all.

Mista

Banned
How is it their fault when the company who runs it had recently changed their policies? It's their fault.

It's not nearly as big as Gamescom anymore, things is that Americans like me would have to travel hours and hours to get there.
And Middle Easterns like me stays up very late for these shows. Now all that is slowly fading away because everyone wants to give us a brief 20 minute "episode" on Youtube

Gamescom is bigger lately than E3 attendance wise ONLY and that's about it. Also what policies did they change that pissed them off?

EDMIX

Lol so now Xbox not selling as much as the PS4 and Switch has something to do with E3 ...?

It shows the importance of such an event is irrelevant if even the company that is getting the most views from it is also selling the least systems.

Yet the company that didn't go sold the most and even the publisher that doesn't go has one of the best selling games in the world.

Sooooooo yea, its showing going to the event doesn't even translate into much engagement or success to waste any money on it.

Release a Youtube trailer, control the narrative, own the media cycle and do it for cheaper.

EDMIX

NINTENDO NEVER SKIPPED E3 AND IS STILL AT E3.

So facts matter.

Nintendo revealed Switch at their own event.
Sony revealed PS4 at their own event.

Nintendo skipped E3 for MANY YEARS
Sony has now skipped E3 for many years.

Nintendo released "Directs" straight to Youtube.
Sony now releases "State Of Plays" direct to Youtube.

Sending you to the ignore realm now.

Last edited:

So facts matter.

Nintendo revealed Switch at their own event.
Sony revealed PS4 at their own event.

Sony has not skipped E3 for many years.

Nintendo released "Directs" stragith to Youtube.

🙄

Nintendo has ALWAYS had their giant booth at E3, and for the past 3 years they also had Treehouse live.

You can cite 100s of websites, it won't change reality: NINTENDO NEVER SKIPPED E3.

And don't use the word 'facts' for your anti-factual fanboy bs. Cringe.

Last edited:
It shows the importance of such an event is irrelevant if even the company that is getting the most views from it is also selling the least systems.

Yet the company that didn't go sold the most and even the publisher that doesn't go has one of the best selling games in the world.

Sooooooo yea, its showing going to the event doesn't even translate into much engagement or success to waste any money on it.

Release a Youtube trailer, control the narrative, own the media cycle and do it for cheaper.

What a load of BS. The Switch is outselling the PS4.

Must be because Nintendo are at E3 and Sony isn't right?

Tomeru

I think we should name this thread "The first international Armchair Critics Assembly".

Im confident someone can come up with a neat logo for it!

EDMIX

What a load of BS. The Switch is outselling the PS4.

Must be because Nintendo are at E3 and Sony isn't right?

??? The company that got the most views from E3 that also sold the least systems was MS.....that wasn't a reference to Switch. The reality is, PS4 sold the most systems this generation, skipping 2 E3s and selling the MOST SYSTEMS as a matter of fact very much shows skipping the event isn't killing anyone. Its why you can't even explain Red Dead 2's success or GTAV or many titles that don't even reveal at such events yet go on to break records. You don't want to talk about that cause it breaks that narrative that the event is soooooo key to some success.

So PS4 shouldn't be at over 100 million units and Switch and XONE combined not even touching that while skipping several E3s. By your logic, they should be failing without the E3 appearance yet they had no issue moving millions, same with publishers that no longer go to E3 and just have their own events. You just don't want to talk about those that are actually breaking records yet not at E3, it hurts the agenda you have going on or something. You seem scared to even talk about why GTA V, Red Dead 2, Call Of Duties and even Switch itself had youtube reveals and went on to do just fine without some E3 stage reveal lol

Stop getting emotional too bud. Going to have to add you to the ignore shadow realm bud.

Also, no reason to lie. 1 lie = ignore

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
"E3 organiser the ESA has struggled to satisfy all of its members who have been split over what they want the show to be. Some publishers such as EA and Sony want to see E3 become a fan celebration of games, whereas others would rather the event remained an industry-focused affair.

The ESA has tried to satisfy both groups by introducing some consumer elements to E3, but with limited success."
You can never satisfy everyone.
From what you quoted it seems ESA tried to meet wishes/demand as they were open to the public last year while still catering to industry that E3 was build upon.

Not seeing the fault lying with ESA here, so what am I missing? Since they still got the middle finger despite meeting demands of sorts.

What else does one expect from the show for that matter? There are press conferences, boots to try new games out, industry veterans consumers can talk to and get to know, merchandise, live demo with developers, etc etc.

Psykodad

Banned
You can never satisfy everyone.
From what you quoted it seems ESA tried to meet wishes/demand as they were open to the public last year while still catering to industry that E3 was build upon.

Not seeing the fault lying with ESA here, so what am I missing? Since they still got the middle finger despite meeting demands of sorts.

What else does one expect from the show for that matter? There are press conferences, boots to try new games out, industry veterans consumers can talk to and get to know, merchandise, live demo with developers, etc etc.
And who says the fault lies with Sony? (or EA)

Jason Schreier also tweeted that it might have to do with a disagreement between Sony and ESA.

??? The company that got the most views from E3 that also sold the least systems was MS.....that wasn't a reference to Switch. The reality is, PS4 sold the most systems this generation, skipping 2 E3s and selling the MOST SYSTEMS as a matter of fact very much shows skipping the event isn't killing anyone. Its why you can't even explain Red Dead 2's success or GTAV or many titles that don't even reveal at such events yet go on to break records. You don't want to talk about that cause it breaks that narrative that the event is soooooo key to some success.

So PS4 shouldn't be at over 100 million units and Switch and XONE combined not even touching that while skipping several E3s. By your logic, they should be failing without the E3 appearance yet they had no issue moving millions, same with publishers that no longer go to E3 and just have their own events. You just don't want to talk about those that are actually breaking records yet not at E3, it hurts the agenda you have going on or something. You seem scared to even talk about why GTA V, Red Dead 2, Call Of Duties and even Switch itself had youtube reveals and went on to do just fine without some E3 stage reveal lol

Stop getting emotional too bud. Going to have to add you to the ignore shadow realm bud.

Also, no reason to lie. 1 lie = ignore

I'll repeat. SWITCH IS OUTSELLING THE PS4.
Don't see where you see me getting emotional. Would never cross my mind putting somebody on ignore because I really don't care enough BUT you have the honor of being the first and probably last person on my ignore list✌️

EDMIX

Jason Schreier also tweeted that it might have to do with a disagreement between Sony and ESA.

Pretty much and they seem to have a list of other publishers that disagree with them too. I think the cost of such an event just doesn't match the views. Sony is seeing they can just get millions of views cheaper doing their own things like they see EA and Activision doing or even Nintendo with their Directs.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS

That right there tells you something. The last great E3 was great when they announced games that were nowhere close to being released.

sinnergy

Just watch the Sony event twice if you prefer that.
This year I won’t watch anything Sony! That will get them ... I’ll just read the threads here... now I only have to watch MS , more time for gaming and Netflix! #forthegamers

I will give them no social likes and shares on top of not watching 🤣

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
Sony has now skipped E3 for many years.

Nintendo released "Directs" straight to Youtube.

Nintendo has NEVER skipped E3 :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

1) They still have their Press Conference in the form of a special E3 Direct which is still meaty in terms of announcements.

2) They do a 3 days of Treehouse Live which has always been the most watched/followed post show of the entire E3. They have around 30 minutes of gameplay section for each game with their creators

3) They always have the biggest booth of E3, and it is always themed to their biggest release/s for the year

Nintendo%20E3.jpg

e6533d9d-983b-463c-980a-56a352caec8fjpeg.jpeg

They started skipping the Live press conference since 2013 and the news at the time was highly twisted as "it's like skipping E3 as a whole" which just shows how biased still are journalists sadly. (compare those articles to Sony now)

Last edited by a moderator:

sinnergy

Nothing is more fun at 7 pm my time after work, strong beer and start watching E3 conferences ...

Nintendo directs I also always skip..

Mochilador

Because Microsoft will also host their own event and then do this, isn't it obvious both can take place?
Not only that but Sony hasn't done a PS Experience since 2018 and skipped events like TGS and Gamescom. It's weird when people say "well, they'll do their own event". What event?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Not only that but Sony hasn't done a PS Experience since 2018 and skipped events like TGS and Gamescom. It's weird when people say "well, they'll do their own event". What event?

They did their own event for the PS4 announcement. Realistic to expect one for PS5 either next month or soon after that, with State of Play addresses throughout the year. No need to coincide with E3 and compete for headlines.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned

You response isn't unexpected, already told myself if this guy takes the above mentioned route not to bother with him.
I'm not blind, I know very well that you're in every Sony thread cheering them on, your post is even liked by someone with the same mindset.
With that said I'll leave at this as you're incapable of having a mature discussion.

You already have the answer to your question with information that's been available since last year.

They did their own event for the PS4 announcement. Realistic to expect one for PS5 either next month or soon after that, with State of Play addresses throughout the year. No need to coincide with E3 and compete for headlines.
Yeah but this event was like Microsoft's event for the Xbox One, they both just rattled over system related shit and very little revolved around games. That's where E3 came into the fold, that's where all the games were, that's where all the excitement was, the controversy etc.

Do you think you're actually going to see valuable shit in February from Sony? Do you think you're actually going to see a bunch of games? Do you think you're getting the hardware specifications?

Hell no, you're going to get vague information about everything that paints a general picture.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah but this event was like Microsoft's event for the Xbox One, they both just rattled over system related shit and very little revolved around games. That's where E3 came into the fold, that's where all the games were, that's where all the excitement was, the controversy etc.

Do you think you're actually going to see valuable shit in February from Sony? Do you think you're actually going to see a bunch of games? Do you think you're getting the hardware specifications?

Hell no, you're going to get vague information about everything that paints a general picture.

I was expecting the kind of "investors-targeted" event with lots of talk about not much in terms of game announcements to then leave the rest to E3 (exactly like you say, that's what they did with PS4).

Now i don't know what to expect, maybe they'll have the big blow out early on in February, or maybe they will replace the E3 press conferences with 3-4 State of Play throughout the year.

Psykodad

Banned
You response isn't unexpected, already told myself if this guy takes the above mentioned route not to bother with him.
I'm not blind, I know very well that you're in every Sony thread cheering them on, your post is even liked by someone with the same mindset.
With that said I'll leave at this as you're incapable of having a mature discussion.

You already have the answer to your question with information that's been available since last year.
Pretty sure I'm not the one incapable of having a mature discussion right now.

Just look at your post where you're going after me instead of addressing the fact that Jason Schreier also hinted at a disagreement between Sony and ESA, which falls in line with the reports that Sony, EA and other companies are in disagreement with ESA over the focus of E3. <_<

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

I think we're going to get all the information we need right now on a piece of kit that nobody can buy for probably another 9 months. Like you say, rough indications of hardware and features, a look at the box and the controller, some indication of their goals, some glimpses at games but nothing specific.

We really don't need everything laid out on the table so far from the actual launch. They can drip-feed that information over the year, a lack of information in February isn't stopping anyone from buying something in November.

I think we're going to get all the information we need right now on a piece of kit that nobody can buy for probably another 9 months. Like you say, rough indications of hardware and features, a look at the box and the controller, some indication of their goals, some glimpses at games but nothing specific.

We really don't need everything laid out on the table so far from the actual launch. They can drip-feed that information over the year, a lack of information in February isn't stopping anyone from buying something in November.
Just humor me for a second, but why do you guys across the pond say "piece of kit"? It kind of drives me nuts if I'm being honest lol.

Top Bottom