• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation confirmed to not attend E3 2020

Kagey K

Banned

PlayStation will miss E3 for a second year in a row.

The firm told GamesIndustry.biz that it does not feel the vision for the event is right for what it has planned for this year. Instead it will attend 'hundreds' of consumer events to showcase upcoming games for PS4 and PS5.

"After thorough evaluation SIE has decided not to participate in E3 2020," said a Sony Interactive Entertainment spokesperson. "We have great respect for the ESA as an organization, but we do not feel the vision of E3 2020 is the right venue for what we are focused on this year.

"We will build upon our global events strategy in 2020 by participating in hundreds of consumer events across the globe. Our focus is on making sure fans feel part of the PlayStation family and have access to play their favorite content. We have a fantastic line up of titles coming to PlayStation 4, and with the upcoming launch of PlayStation 5, we are truly looking forward to a year of celebration with our fans."

ManaByte

Gold Member

"After thorough evaluation SIE has decided not to participate in E3 2020," said a Sony Interactive Entertainment spokesperson. "We have great respect for the ESA as an organization, but we do not feel the vision of E3 2020 is the right venue for what we are focused on this year.

Mista

Banned
We have great respect for the ESA as an organization, but we do not feel the vision of E3 2020 is the right venue for what we are focused on this year.
Yeah the biggest gaming event is suddenly isn't the "right venue" but hey, we will participate in hundreds of smaller events across the globe!

Just stick to your event at this point and that's it. Better than the rest of the bollocks you said at least

This was fine last year, for the impending release of a new console I find it to be a mistake. You don't want to piecemeal your community, a clear concise show which goes over the system is a must, a clear and concise show which goes over the games is a must. An event where third parties go over their plans with your system and how they plan to leverage it is a must.

No one should have to piece the vision together, it should be made clear under a singular format. They can do all those smaller "hundreds of events" in conjunction with this, it's not an this or that situation but they're turning it into one.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
GOT DAMNIT SONY!

I look forward to E3 because of the sheer electricity that happens when both companies are on the stage. there will be no "Who won E3 conversations" that have any real meaning. All the players need to be there.

I'm really not feeling this holier than thou type of shit.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Looks like all eyes on MS again.

Whereas traditionally Sony and MS would share the love for promoting indies and third party games, looks like MS will carry the load again.

"We do not feel the vision of E3 2020 is the right venue"

At E3, you promote whatever you want for about 1.5 - 2 hours. At a company sponsored event, you promote whatever you want for 1.5 - 2 hours.

Am I missing something here? So what's the difference aside from Sony wanting to save money by hosting an event in their own building like Sony Hall?

Last edited:
Yeah, that's embarrassing. No matter what Sony excuses that with: Then why are Microsoft and Nintendo still attending?

I'm looking forward to another amazing E3, just like last year's. It's a bit sad that Sony isolates itself, but it won't lower my enjoyment much. Devolver will continue its story, Microsoft, Ubisoft, Bethesda and Square will have big conferences, and Nintendo will do the multi-day Treehouse streaming. Sony's just pouting - let them, I say. 💁🐧

R600

Banned
Their message kinda sounds weird. Plus Jim Ryan said they will deliver more news on PS5 in upcoming months, it sounds they are shying away from big conferences and perhaps doing mutliple small ones.

Their Wired reveal does point to that.

Entroyp

I’m curious about the conflict between Sony and the ESA statement by Jason. What could have gone wrong?

Hostile_18

Banned
The Playstation February event will be bigger than anything they could have done at E3. It's not like any company can have major reveals every single event.

Honestly just one or two big events a year feels right tbh. We only have to look at the 2017 Sony E3 to realize why not spreading yourself too thinly is a good decision.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's disappointing. The show floor felt horribly empty and pointless last year without Sony and Microsoft. It was the first time that South Hall felt more alive and exciting than West Hall, but even still, the whole show just felt weak as hell.

Hopefully Sony does decide to show up somewhere, though... It feels like their appetite for doing big events has really diminished in the last year or so.

Yeah the biggest gaming event is suddenly isn't the "right venue" but hey, we will participate in hundreds of smaller events across the globe!

Just stick to your event at this point and that's it. Better than the rest of the bollocks you said at least

Well, E3 is only visited by a handful of people that are able to during a one week period, but if they did a nationwide tour across the various countries and allowed everyone a chance to play upcoming PS4/PS5 games ahead of release I would be totally down for that, we have several gaming/comic conventions where I am at which they would easily be able to attend. It is nice to see them wanting to involve the whole gaming community first hand instead of a handful of people at E3 that either live in the area already or have the time/money to attend it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The Playstation February event will be bigger than anything they could have done at E3. It's not like any company can have major reveals every single event.

Honestly just one or two big events a year feels right tbh. We only have to look at the 2017 Sony E3 to realize why not spreading yourself too thinly is a good decision.
Just because they have a big media reveal in Feb doesn't mean they can't (or shouldn't) attend E3. Show us the hardware in Feb and give us the details on system functions, specs, backwards compatibility, controllers, etc. Then come out swinging at E3 and show us the software.

Feels like Microsoft gets it, at least.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Just because they have a big media reveal in Feb doesn't mean they can't (or shouldn't) attend E3. Show is the hardware in Feb and give us the details on system functions, specs, backwards compatibility, controllers, etc. Then come out swinging at E3 and show us the software.

They did a PlayStation Meeting in Feb 2013 and still attended E3 that year.

Vawn

Banned
Ouch. E3 is pretty much done. The biggest player is clearly done with the show. The next biggest, Nintendo, hasn't had a stage presence there in a long time. It's just third-parties and Xbox, who us moving more toward being a third-party itself.

Just because they have a big media reveal in Feb doesn't mean they can't (or shouldn't) attend E3. Show us the hardware in Feb and give us the details on system functions, specs, backwards compatibility, controllers, etc. Then come out swinging at E3 and show us the software.

Exactly, like I expect Microsoft to hold a technical event in say April or May which will go over the ins and outs of the system, the specs, their plans for capabilities and how they can leverage it in future. And then for E3 they can have a long show rattling over their games, what they have in the works, what third party is doing with their hardware and so on.

Sony is playing the social media angle and while it's effective I don't like it, you can do both.

ClearMind

Report me for console warring (Xbot, Xbro etc.)
No need for gamescom, TGS or paris games week either. Sony should make their own PSX fan events their main focus.
They could do them 2 - 3 times a year in different countries.

Vol5

Yeah, that's embarrassing. No matter what Sony excuses that with: Then why are Microsoft and Nintendo still attending?

I'm looking forward to another amazing E3, just like last year's. It's a bit sad that Sony isolates itself, but it won't lower my enjoyment much. Devolver will continue its story, Microsoft, Ubisoft, Bethesda and Square will have big conferences, and Nintendo will do the multi-day Treehouse streaming. Sony's just pouting - let them, I say. 💁🐧

Embarrassing? For who exactly....the global leader who have identified that they can do it on their own terms at a reduced cost? How does business and managing the message work again?

Literally zero fucks will be given when Sony reveal the PS5.

Mr Hyde

Nintendo also pulled out from E3 stage show after that embarrassing show with the Wii music and drummer on ecstasy. I think it was 2008? I'm telling you, these big companies don't wanna be ridiculed by their fans anymore. Only Microsoft can handle the heat, cus they used to it.

Fret Runner

Sony is doomed!
MediumDopeyHanumanmonkey-size_restricted.gif

DrAspirino

Banned
Bad move from Sony. It was understandable in 2019, since they only showcased games, but... a new console? New consoles MUST be on E3. It's THE event where companies show their new consoles and compete with each other.

Heck, PS4 won the generation thanks to the fiasco that was Microsoft's E3 presentation in 2013. It's THAT important.

Top Bottom