• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation confirmed to not attend E3 2020

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Sony's message will be clearer without all the noise surrounding E3, less clutter..... When Sony eventually does the PS5 spec reveal or PS5 game reveals, all eyes will be on them, it will be everything Sony without the competition's conference coming an hour later or earlier.....

They will be the full focus and talking point for days and weeks and they can control their messaging as they see fit instead of waiting for a big splash once a year.....
Also, they might use events from overseas.

In 1999, they had two phases of the PS2 reveals. At the two TGS events that year. First they announced the internal technology along with those famous demos, around March. And then later in September, they made the full reveal with actual games, and showed the box. All at TGS.

In both instances, their announcements were reported all over the world, literally everywhere. Including the evening news. The fact most people weren't watching live, made no difference what so ever.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This is gonna turn the screws on MS a bit, unless they decide to bail on or de-prioritize E3 Sony now has a target date to counter-market against in the ramp up to PS5 launch. It gives them a lot more room to maneuver and will inevitably have to put the green camp in reactive mode.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I don't know how much the rest of you know about E3 (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is at CES where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over at E3, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

cb92Xuu.gif

EDMIX

The shows were boring period and I'm a PS guy. The ps4 reveal, the pre launch e3, the year with FF7 remake and Shenmue...those were fun shows. I just want that again, doesn't have to be at E3. Just no more stuffy orchestra bullshit with no presenters.

Thats nice.

I buy games, I don't buy presentations or events. Sony can't always have a 3rd party publisher have a 20 year old game ready to remake as an announcement on top of a kickstarter of a old IP getting a rebirth. Those are too rare and out of the hands of any first party publisher to even ask for that as if its normal. So you want something that too many things must occur to even happen that have next to nothing to even do with Sony. Sony is suppose to force Square to remake FFVIII or announce it for a E3 regardless if its ready or being worked on? Sony suppose to force Yu and Sega to do another deal for Shenmue 4 or something? So those things are happenchance, that isn't something any first party can control. Even RE3 remake reveal at State Of Play is more so up to Capcom, look at when that was revealed.

You think Capcom is announcing a game EARLY at E3 2019 JUST cause Sony wants a "fun show"? So I think Sony and publisher alike want some freedom to have a trailer to take over a news cycle, not a flood of trailers on 1 night fighting for attention on a news cycle with hundreds of other games.

Red Dead 2 and Call Of Duties are not dying because of lack of E3. They'll be ok..

Thats nice.

I buy games, I don't buy presentations or events. Sony can't always have a 3rd party publisher have a 20 year old game ready to remake as an announcement on top of a kickstarter of a old IP getting a rebirth. Those are too rare and out of the hands of any first party publisher to even ask for that as if its normal. So you want something that too many things must occur to even happen that have next to nothing to even do with Sony. Sony is suppose to force Square to remake FFVIII or announce it for a E3 regardless if its ready or being worked on? Sony suppose to force Yu and Sega to do another deal for Shenmue 4 or something? So those things are happenchance, that isn't something any first party can control. Even RE3 remake reveal at State Of Play is more so up to Capcom, look at when that was revealed.

You think Capcom is announcing a game EARLY at E3 2019 JUST cause Sony wants a "fun show"? So I think Sony and publisher alike want some freedom to have a trailer to take over a news cycle, not a flood of trailers on 1 night fighting for attention on a news cycle with hundreds of other games.

Red Dead 2 and Call Of Duties are not dying because of lack of E3. They'll be ok..
Jesus Christ dude, I didn't know the fun police were going to crash the thread. Ease up on the salt, it'll lower your blood pressure.

Shrap

Is there something more to this? As in is there bad blood between E3 and Sony? Is it extremely costly for Sony to attend?

It seems like there is more going on than just "E3 is dying and Sony doesn't consider it a good outlet".

EDMIX

I have a gut feeling others will slowly follow. E3 these days costs a lot so it is common sense now that Sony and MS can easily have their own events. Most people watch from home anyway.

My favorite joke is that most people don't go to E3, they go to Youtube and Twitch to "watch" E3 lol Thus....no need for E3, bypass and just release a series of trailers on Youtube, twitch etc.

Many already just have their own events around E3 like EA, Activision etc

TTOOLL

I miss old E3! That said, Sony can get much more attention by doing an exclusive event to show the PS5, that's clearly their goal.

leo-j

It’s sort of a way to get people to not talk about what else is happening outside of PlayStation imo. In the past it was oh my Nintendo right after Sony?! Oh sony is later let me just watch the Microsoft conference. Etc. tbh I’m a little disappointed. It’s not like their access PlayStation stuff or whatever it’s called offers any big announcements. This isn’t a Sony I’m enjoying.

EDMIX

But they reveal the ps4 in a E3. This is weird.

The PS4 was revealed at their own personal event. The fact that anyone things this imho goes to show how irrelevant E3 actually is, if someone thinks this anyway. That didn't stop you or anything from buying a PS4, thus....irrelevant. If you can mistake that event for "E3", that might be one of the biggest reasons why Sony isn't even going to the event if they can just do their own and folks won't even know the difference anyway. Many say "EA at E3 revealed" not even realizing they are not at the event, but doing their own....but that mistake illustrates the lack of impact of the event if they can just release trailers at the own event and still get sales, press etc.

btw, PS4 was revealed in a event they set up in New York on Feb 2013. Not at E3...

leo-j leo-j I disagree... Resident Evil 3 remake was announced on a State Of Play. Events don't make games exist, they exist BEFORE events... so even if Sony states they will never go to an event and just do Youtube or something, that isn't going to stop Resident Evil 3 remake from existing or something, so to most gamers its pretty irrelevant for the most part. I think many publishers are just getting very low return on investment on such events when 1 youtube video can get you millions of views.

...for free.

Last edited:
Lmao what? look at ur negative ass post he was responding to lol, and you talking “fun police” 😂😂😂
I am negative about the past few Sony E3 shows, not about the ps4 or ps5. On the contrary, I'm actually hopeful now that Layden is gone and new leadership is in place. The ps5 is going to be another beast in sales and fun factor (I've spent more on ps4 games than any other console, and I spent a shit ton on 360)

E3 is irrelevant. They will have their events (probably 2) I just want fun presentations or at least interesting ones (Carney can talk for 2 hours and it'll be way more engaging than e3 2016,17,18)

Now kindly, step the fuck off.

ElCasual

The PS4 was revealed at their own personal event. The fact that anyone things this imho goes to show how irrelevant E3 actually is, if someone thinks this anyway. That didn't stop you or anything from buying a PS4, thus....irrelevant. If you can mistake that event for "E3", that might be one of the biggest reasons why Sony isn't even going to the event if they can just do their own and folks won't even know the difference anyway. Many say "EA at E3 revealed" not even realizing they are not at the event, but doing their own....but that mistake illustrates the lack of impact of the event if they can just release trailers at the own event and still get sales, press etc.

btw, PS4 was revealed in a event they set up in New York on Feb 2013. Not at E3...

Nop, was reveled in the E3, with the price and etc.

Klayzer

I don't know why the Xbox fandom is upset at Sony. This is a great opportunity for Xbox to control their message and be the center of attention for all the gaming media. Drop the specs and price, with trailers of upcoming new projects, from the studios equals win in my book. The Microsoft brass should be licking their chops at this opportunity to shine.

I am negative about the past few Sony E3 shows, not about the ps4 or ps5. On the contrary, I'm actually hopeful now that Layden is gone and new leadership is in place. The ps5 is going to be another beast in sales and fun factor (I've spent more on ps4 games than any other console, and I spent a shit ton on 360)

E3 is irrelevant. They will have their events (probably 2) I just want fun presentations or at least interesting ones (Carney can talk for 2 hours and it'll be way more engaging than e3 2016,17,18)

Now kindly, step the fuck off.
Solid response, respect ✊

Shin

Banned
Is there something more to this? As in is there bad blood between E3 and Sony? Is it extremely costly for Sony to attend?

It seems like there is more going on than just "E3 is dying and Sony doesn't consider it a good outlet".
I would say arrogance looking at the leadership of the company, but I'd get quoted till next year with the defense team.

I don't know why the Xbox fandom is upset at Sony. This is a great opportunity for Xbox to control their message and be the center of attention for all the gaming media. Drop the specs and price, with trailers of upcoming new projects, from the studios equals win in my book. The Microsoft brass should be licking their chops at this opportunity to shine.
Xbox fandom is upset because Sony ruined their lives and its becoming obvious that Microsoft will not get the retribution that Sony got at the end of the 7th gen and literally all of the 8th gen. Xbox continues to become more and more irrelevant despite fierce attempts to gain relevancy. Its sad. I’d be upset as well if I loved Microsoft

EDMIX

Nop, was reveled in the E3, with the price and etc.

Unless we are living in some alternate reality, it was never revealed at E3, it was revealed at a event in New York in Feb 2013, as the link and facts indicate...

100% entirely false, PS4 sold 20.2 million worldwide in 2017 while Switch shipped about 13 million in 2017, in 2018 PS4 sold 18 million while Switch shipped 16 million in 2018

Where did you get those numbers? The PS4 had hit 60 million units sold at E3 2017 and it's now at 106 million, the Switch is hovering around 50 million units right now. Did the PS4 really sell over 4 million units from march 2017 to june that year? I mean, fine if they did, my point still stands. Sony could have done a better job in their conferences in the past few years and it's disingenuous to suggest it had no effect on their hardware lead.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

I would say arrogance looking at the leadership of the company, but I'd get quoted till next year with the defense team.
Money saving.

But BS'ed by their PR department it's some kind of gaming or vision strategy.

Sony will have their own big showcase event, but when we see it, it'll probably be one of two things:

1. Another weird one like 2018 with 4 games and stage play

2. A traditional presentation with lots of first and third party games

Whether it's #1 or #2 makes no difference because either one of those presentations has been done at E3.

And when they do their own conference at their own hotel or Sony Hall, I bet every one of us will think the exact same thing........ "This could have been done at E3's stage too, but man those production values are cheaper"

Last edited:
Where did you get those numbers? The PS4 had hit 60 million units sold at E3 2017 and it's now at 106 million, the Switch is hovering around 50 million units right now. Did the PS4 really sell over 4 million units from march 2017 to june that year? I mean, fine if they did, my point still stands. Sony could have done a better job in their conferences in the past few years and it's disingenuous to suggest it had no effect on their hardware lead.
Idk what you’re saying bruv all I know is PS4 sold 20.2 million units worldwide for the entire 2017 calendar year and the Switch came no where close, and turns out I was off a tad with my 2018 dumbers because it turns out sources for these old ass pieces of information are hard to come by, but in 2018 for the entirety of the calendar year PS4 sold 17.7 million and Switch sold 17.4 million according to Benji, that drama queen sales bro who was on Era, and I believe originally from here also

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
I already mentioned the money part, the statement itself is just pure non-sense as it conflicts with what they are saying and want to attend.
Other than that I think Ryan will end up being CEO in no time if investors allow for it, Kenichiro is too weak and can't speak shit for English.
Wouldn't be surprised if Layden was sacrificed in the process and House didn't like how things were becoming, it's all unnatural compared to previous power shift(s).

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You never know. Maybe E3 has been constraining them the whole time.

Sony's vision will be shown in full force at their own big bash. Can't wait to see what is so gigantic and visionary which E3's facilities couldn't do.

Idk what you’re saying bruv all I know is PS4 sold 20.2 million units worldwide for the entire 2017 calendar year and the Switch came no where close, and turns out I was off a tad with my 2018 dumbers because it turns out sources for these old ass pieces of information are hard to come by, but in 2018 for the entirety of the calendar year PS4 sold 17.7 million and Switch sold 17.4 million according to Benji, that drama queen sales bro who was on Era, and I believe originally from here also

Okay maybe I should have double checked before I posted lol but anyway, if the PS4 was at 60 million at june 2017 and they are at 106 right now, then they sold 46 million during that period. And the Switch is at pretty much 50 million right now, so... I don't know, maybe the PS4 outsold that difference from march to june 2017. Any way you look at it, it's pretty close. Maybe the poor job they did at every single conference for the past few years can't just be brushed aside as irrelevant.

Keep in mind, what I'm suggesting is moot if they have a legit conference planned with several game announcements.

Dlacy13g

Sony is saying: "E3 is to small for us, we want to talk to everyone, you, you and you."

But E3 is an event that is covered by gaming media around the world as well as main stream media.... It gets far more coverage than any other single event including the likes of Gamescom and Tokyo Game Show..... so how is skipping this talking to everyone? Holding their own private event certainly will talk to their core base but I find it hard to believe they will have better coverage of that vs their E3 stage.

Okay maybe I should have double checked before I posted lol but anyway, if the PS4 was at 60 million at june 2017 and they are at 106 right now, then they sold 46 million during that period. And the Switch is at pretty much 50 million right now, so... I don't know, maybe the PS4 outsold that difference from march to june 2017. Any way you look at it, it's pretty close. Maybe the poor job they did at every single conference for the past few years can't just be brushed aside as irrelevant.

Keep in mind, what I'm suggesting is moot if they have a legit conference planned with several game announcements.
If you’re saying Sony could’ve had even better PS4 sales then I’d agree, but I don’t think better press conferences is what could have led to better sales, or any affect on sales at all, but rather a permanent price cut is what Sony should’ve done in 2017 let alone 2018, 2019 and now 2020.

EDMIX

But E3 is an event that is covered by gaming media around the world as well as main stream media.... It gets far more coverage than any other single event including the likes of Gamescom and Tokyo Game Show..... so how is skipping this talking to everyone? Holding their own private event certainly will talk to their core base but I find it hard to believe they will have better coverage of that vs their E3 stage.

I disagree.

Stuff like Red Dead 2, GTAV and many Call Of Duties don't get revealed at E3 yet break huge records. The reality is, gamers go on Youtube...see trailer, buy game.

That event being E3 or not is completely irrelevant to them. All they know is new game is coming out, here is a trailer and release date, buy game. E3 doesn't need to be in any of that to get the sale. Gamers buy games cause games themselves, not the event that announces the game. Even when E3 is happening, many of us will be watching on Youtube or Twitch anyway...thus...if we are watching on those platforms, someone doesn't even need to go to "E3" to have us WATCH THEIR DAMN TRAILER!

That is one of the biggest reasons you are seeing publishers leave that even and just do their own.

KiNeMz

Banned

1 tweet gets more covergae these days.

If you’re saying Sony could’ve had even better PS4 sales then I’d agree, but I don’t think better press conferences is what could have led to better sales, or any affect on sales at all, but rather a permanent price cut is what Sony should’ve done in 2017 let alone 2018, 2019 and now 2020.

Yeah that would have worked too, but they could have saved more stuff for the late life of the PS4. Especially japanese games, I know that Death Stranding counts, but it has a western engine and it pretty much doesn't look like a japanese game at all. If you exclude that, what is their last first-party japanese project? Gravity Rush 2? I mean fuck, if you disconsider yearly MLB games and remakes, the PS4 had seven retail first-party releases since 2018. It only doesn't look bad because Microsoft somehow fucked up even harder. The PS3 had much better late life support.

Gamernyc78

Banned
This is gonna turn the screws on MS a bit, unless they decide to bail on or de-prioritize E3 Sony now has a target date to counter-market against in the ramp up to PS5 launch. It gives them a lot more room to maneuver and will inevitably have to put the green camp in reactive mode.

Didn't think of it tht way but tht is definitely a smart chess move. It's like how thy would go second after Microsoft at E3 and allowed them to one up them after Microsoft laid out their msg and pricing.

Gamernyc78

Banned

This thinking was debunked last year when Sony said fuck E3.

trikster40

What Sony needs to do is have a MAJOR event during E3, have their own show, see if they can draw people away. Otherwise, I don’t understand this line of thought.

Neofire

Yeah the biggest gaming event is suddenly isn't the "right venue" but hey, we will participate in hundreds of smaller events across the globe!

Just stick to your event at this point and that's it. Better than the rest of the bollocks you said at least
Apparently you missed the point about them not being at E3 because they want the fans to be apart of such events. If I remember correctly E3 isn't open to the public like it used to.

Imo wise choice of their part, save money and actually let the fan base get a chane to attend the events they are focusing on being at.

Yeah that would have worked too, but they could have saved more stuff for the late life of the PS4. Especially japanese games, I know that Death Stranding counts, but it has a western engine and it pretty much doesn't look like a japanese game at all. If you exclude that, what is their last first-party japanese project? Gravity Rush 2? I mean fuck, if you disconsider yearly MLB games and remakes, the PS4 had seven retail first-party releases since 2018. It only doesn't look bad because Microsoft somehow fucked up even harder. The PS3 had much better late life support.
I’m sorry to be a pain but I’m gonna need something to back up that “PS3 had much better late life support” statement.

Also yeah if we’re talking first party games 2019 is one of the more underwhelming years for the PS4, but Days Gone and Death Stranding are huge AAA new IPs that were well received by the fans. Sony’s been going hard creating new ips with big budgets, while everybody else is making mostly sequels, and if they’re making a new ip nowadays its mobile phone compatible multiplayer garbage. Not to mention 2020 looks like some serious flames for PS4 first party wise, shits on PS3’s 2013 big time

Top Bottom