• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation CEO Jim Ryan on making PS5 more successful than PS4

Jokerevo

Banned
Xbox supporters don’t realise they are never gonna have a console like the 360 again and they will probably never sell more than 50–60 million units again.

1. It launched 1 year ahead of PS3

2. Was cheaper than PS3

3. Was easier to develope than the PS3

4. Took a bunch of Playstation centric games and ”exclusives“ or titles more associated with Playstaion like Tekken, Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry etc

5. 360 had a far better online service and started the trend and popularity of indies and DLC and timed exclusive Cod maps etc

6. 3rd Party games mostly ran better on 360

7. Playstation launching horribly and all the bad press it got those days.

Depite all this, the PS3 still sold 80+ million units and outsold the 360.
Not gonna ever be close again

Agreed. The ps3 vs 360 era was the best. I had both machines because of exclusives. It was actually Dead rising that convinced me to buy a 360,not because of anything to do with MS just the fact it was a Capcom game I couldn't play on playstation.

MS are making a huge mistake this gen by not securing more exclusives to XsX. Because of this I don't actually need a Xbox console because I have a PC that just obsoleted it.

MS don't seem to understand that exclusives drive sales, I mean look at the switch. Every meaningful console develops its own stable of exclusives that say: buy me if you want to experience this.

Right now XsX is saying to me: HI will never look as good as PC.

But if HI was an exclusive to XsX...you're goddamn right I'm buying one. Gimme an excuse to buy another toy MS!

Cato

Banned
The CEO of a division wants to put out a positive message that the business will become even more successful?

Why is this controversial? Isn't that part of his job description? To rally the troops and make the business bigger?
I don't understand.

reptilex

Banned
I read this As a parody post, Ps5 is launching in a much better position than Ps4.

Next few months will be rough for you, I feel bad but I'm bookmarking your post.

No thanks, keep the Series X I'll be playing Ps5 all gen long, sorry.

Good luck with that fanboy, I already have the projections from my ex-firm: The PS5 launch will move the same if slightly more number than PS4 because of brand growth but most importantly changes in consumer behaviors compared to 2013, in which more people who used to project their purchase after launch in the next years, are more susceptible to buy/pre-order the console at launch, especially with Covid, so technically the PS5 should sell way more than the PS4 at launch (5.3 millions)

Except it won't sell that much more and it will stall in the next months...see you then.

sn0man

I wouldn't be too sure. 2013 Nintendo fucked up Wii U, Xbox fucked up almost everything and in the end Sony had the most powerful and cheapest console (the most important factor) at launch. This year they neither have the most powerful console nor the cheapest console and Nintendo and Microsoft are serious competition again. Sony's advantage in terms of hardware sales is that Microsoft ports and streams everything on other devices. My guess is that they will hit the 100 million but they don't beat the PS4.
I like your take. I’m not saying PS5 is doomed. Far from it and I presume they will retain a lead this generation. More of just they did well on all fronts last generation and the other two tripped up.

I could also see a tiny chance where Nintendo releases something in power between a PS4 and a PS4 Pro that is another hybrid Super Switch or Switch 2 or whatever. It would allow them to do some sort of 1440p with reconstruction to 4K Nintendo flagships and build on the switch library and maybe that closes a gap.

reptilex

Banned
So wait, one crucial piece I was missing is that the few PS5 exclusive games announced so far are also going to release on PS4

jeux-ps5-ps4-horizon-spiderman-sackboy.jpg

and this until as far as 2022 according to Jim Ryan on gameindustry.biz

But PS4 will remain an important platform for a while yet. There are over 100 million customers on that device [...] In fact, with the coronavirus pandemic, the PS4 install base is as engaged as it's ever been. It's no wonder that Sony is planning to make several of its upcoming titles playable across both PS4 and PS5.

"Obviously, our eyes and our horizons have lifted with regards to what's possible with that PS4 community, based on what we've observed over the last six months," Ryan says, referring to an increase in players as a result of COVID-19 lockdowns. "That can be quite powerful, because in 2021, 2022... that PS4 community that we've spoken about, they will be the vast majority of people on PlayStations during that time. It is crucial that we keep them engaged and happy."

This is unprecedented. From a business standpoint it seems to make sense, more install base on PS4 means more sales for these non-exclusive PS5 title, but there's a huge common sense reason why it never was the case: from a branding, strategical and marketing standpoint this is a completely degenerate move.

One of the main and biggest incentive consoles have always had, what made the PS1, PS2 and even PS4 successful (goes for Nintendo consoles as well) is not just a decent console but the actual games that you can only find on these platform. Imagine a PS4 without Killzone MLB or Infamous at launch, then Horizon, Bloodborne, UC4, GoW, LoUII, Spiderman etc...as exclusives.

What is the incentive to get a PS5 over a cheaper, more compact and capable PS4-Pro, and wait for a PS5 Slim? How is this affecting your opinion?

Krisprolls

Banned
Ratchet will be full PS5 exclusive and it releases soon. It's fine having some titles with PS4 versions for a year or two. It's nice for people who can't buy the PS5.

But those titles probably won't be the ones which impress the most visually.

Repeat and reuse the same fud, no nee fud to spread?

we know of some titles already going on the PS4, the rest won’t.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
1. Several doesn't mean all. Sony hasn't changed anything from previous gens. Some games are next gen exclusives, some not.

This is nothing new......

2. This is the first time you've heard about this....really.....

vkbest

The guy is not wrong, they will make profit from AAA games they wouldn’t get only on PS5, and PS5 is out of stock.

Orta

Banned
Since the pre-orders went live, every day I open my inbox to some very emotional and heart-wrenching emails from lots of people," Ryan says. "But so many of them are from people in the mid-50s, who say they've been a PlayStation gamer since 1995, and they're asking us to help them get hold of a PS5.

Well pre-order or wait in line like everybody else has to you fucking old scroungers!

Top Bottom