• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation CEO Jim Ryan on making PS5 more successful than PS4

Md Ray

BTO24RhGqh.gif

diffusionx

Gold Member
I bought some stock in Sony because I am confident the PS5 is going to be super successful. Especially in light of the way MS shit their pants with Halo and the launch library and are now talking about Xbox 360 games. If you have $500 for a new console I would recommend the PS5 over the XSX completely.

That said if they want the PS5 to be more successful than PS4 they need to branch out and deliver more than just grim third person action adventure games. Astro Playroom is hopefully an indication that they understand this and will be delivering that.

Last edited:

Aion002

I sure hope that!

And I hope that the Bloodborne 60 fps patch for the PS5 is coming too!

Last edited:

sn0man

How can they when the sentiment about MS and Nintendo was the worst at the beginning of last generation and now the Switch is well accepted and many more seem positive on MS?

oldergamer

How can they when the sentiment about MS and Nintendo was the worst at the beginning of last generation and now the Switch is well accepted and many more seem positive on MS?
Agreed. Halo at launch isn't going to make or break Xbox. xbox 360 launched without a halo game and sold 80 million units. As long as MS follows it up with lots of first party games, similar to what they did with the 360, they will do much better than people are expecting. Sony is not invincible.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Agreed. Halo at launch isn't going to make or break Xbox. xbox 360 launched without a halo game and sold 80 million units. As long as MS follows it up with lots of first party games, similar to what they did with the 360, they will do much better than people are expecting. Sony is not invincible.

They also launched a 10/10 Halo game early in the system's life, before many of those 80 million were sold.

If Infinite turns out to be a 10/10 game like #3, sure the launch will be a footnote, but what are the odds of that?

saintjules

"I am astonished at the number of people who are like that and writing to me. It's really taken me back. It's indicating that demographically the age profile is expanding rapidly with each generation. And at the same time, I get emails from really young gamers, frequently beautifully written...

What's his email? Wouldn't mind sending him some emails :messenger_smirking:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
They also launched a 10/10 Halo game early in the system's life, before many of those 80 million were sold.

If Infinite turns out to be a 10/10 game like #3, sure the launch will be a footnote, but what are the odds of that?

Bu-bu-bu-but the multiplayer will be free... why would a free multiplayer where they announce the removal of core features so that they can sell you it back as a premium not be a 10/10 experience?

It will be just as good as a multiplayer experience designed from the ground up to keep players entertained for decades, like they have designed a game that annoys you so that you spend money on it to temporarily remove the annoyance, how is that not the exact same thing from a design perspective?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Yeah it started well because they had a 12-18month advance on launch, really capitalized on the (then) novelty of online gaming and had an admirably broad range of software for all tastes and price-points from the start. It also didn't hurt that they took the OG Xbox (which was actually doing pretty well in the US) out behind the woodshed and stuck a bullet in its brain, to encourage rapid adoption.

The circumstances that led to 360's success are not at all what we have today, so expecting a similar result isn't what should be predicted. Not to mention the obvious fact that MS are way more intent on selling platform agnostic services than console hardware/software. Consoles are an element of, and not the core of their strategy.

Kokoloko85

Yeah it started well because they had a 12-18month advance on launch, really capitalized on the (then) novelty of online gaming and had an admirably broad range of software for all tastes and price-points from the start. It also didn't hurt that they took the OG Xbox (which was actually doing pretty well in the US) out behind the woodshed and stuck a bullet in its brain, to encourage rapid adoption.

The circumstances that led to 360's success are not at all what we have today, so expecting a similar result isn't what should be predicted. Not to mention the obvious fact that MS are way more intent on selling platform agnostic services than console hardware/software. Consoles are an element of, and not the core of their strategy.

Xbox supporters don’t realise they are never gonna have a console like the 360 again and they will probably never sell more than 50–60 million units again.

1. It launched 1 year ahead of PS3

2. Was cheaper than PS3

3. Was easier to develope than the PS3

4. Took a bunch of Playstation centric games and ”exclusives“ or titles more associated with Playstaion like Tekken, Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry etc

5. 360 had a far better online service and started the trend and popularity of indies and DLC and timed exclusive Cod maps etc

6. 3rd Party games mostly ran better on 360

7. Playstation launching horribly and all the bad press it got those days.

Depite all this, the PS3 still sold 80+ million units and outsold the 360.
Not gonna ever be close again

Last edited:

splattered

Benji pointed out on Twitter that Jim also states their stance has changed on next gen and they now plan to heavily support 1st party games on PS4 through at least 2022.. so for those people that keep claiming there will only be a rare cross-gen game here or there can chill on that. We can probably expect most 1st party games from Sony to also come to PS4 to take advantage of the huge PS4 userbase. I've been saying this for forever and got banned from the next gen speculation thread for saying so i guess i get banned from this thread too haha

yurinka

With PS4 they broke a gazillion gaming history records for platform holders during all the generation, and their next gen plans make sense. So considering they now start from a better position and this time there will be a smoother generational transition, I'm pretty sure PS5 will dominate again the generation.

My main question is when are they going to have ready their next gen version of PSN and PSNow, to take advantage of the way higher speed and latency reduction that wifi 6 (considering most people use wifi) offers compared to the competition and the previous generation. This plus the higher speed and smaller latency that Bluetooth 5.1 offers compared to their competition and previous gen I think will offer a big difference compared to other cloud gaming platforms (plus their catalog with many exclusives from 5 generations including remasters and remakes).

If they manage to get rid of the low ass PSN speeds and release soon their next gen PS Now reducing latency, increasing resolution and bitrate to 4K 60fps (if possible with a great connection) and extend their support to Android soon, I think they will continue being the leading cloud service on consoles. So they will continue the leaders selling consoles, selling console games, selling console game download subscriptions, selling console game streaming subscriptions and non-mobile VR (I'm pretty confident that they will do a great job with PSVR2 in both the hardware side and in the game library support).

Xbox supporters don’t realise they are never gonna have a console like the 360 again and they will probably never sell more than 50–60 million units again.

1. It launched 1 year ahead of PS3

2. Was cheaper than PS3

3. Was easier to develope than the PS3

4. Took a bunch of Playstation centric games and ”exclusives“ or titles more associated with Playstaion like Tekken, Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry etc

5. 360 had a far better online service and started the trend and popularity of indies and DLC and timed exclusive Cod maps etc

6. 3rd Party games mostly ran better on 360

7. Playstation launching horribly and all the bad press it got those days.

Depite all this, the PS3 still sold 80+ million units and outsold the 360.
Not gonna ever be close again
I agree, but I'd like to detail some few things and I'd add an additional points:

1. It had even a way bigger difference on Europe, the main PlayStation market
4. Since every generation the budgets increase, during that generation many 3rd party companies needed to go multi to compensate it with extra revenue. Due to point 1 and partly 3, some of these games even became (at least temporal) exclusives instead of multi.
8. It had big exclusives, now since last gen all their 1st/2nd party games are published on PC too so many people don't need to buy the console to play them.

I expect that the difference between PS5 and Series X|S will be bigger this time for several reasons. First because due to the lack of exclusives, many people who had PC+XBO now may switch to PC+PS5 in order to get the PS4+PS5 exclusives and to play the Xbox games on PC. Then for secondary resons like to have their friends playing in PS, better loading speeds and some other advantages PS5 may have.

I also expect that this time the amount of people migrating from PS4 to PS5 will be way higher than from PS3 to PS4 due to the bigger way install base plus amount of games sold plus amount of games 'rented' via PS+ on PS4, so people. Now this generation PS4 also had more big exclusives than XBO and most PS4 exclusives aren't available on PC, which means that there may be more reasons to swtich from XBO to PS5 than to PS4 to Series X due to the catalog.

Regarding performance, this generation the difference is way smaller than in previous gen, and the theorically weaker console has other things better than the theorically more powerful console (faster GPU, SSD and I/O stuff, wifi, Bluetooth, USB...) so the differences won't be too clear, specially when most games will likely run at the same or almost the same resolution and framerate at least from what we know until now. So if in the previous generation XB1X had a bigger performance superiority and didn't help its sales, I'm pretty sure this time Series X won't be benefited from it in the case it's noticiable more than in DF videos.

And in addition to this, the console market will continue growing year after year as it did since forever. So yes, I think PS5 will outsell PS4 and will increase the market share PS4 had because it will itself grow for its own merits, and MS will be more focused on other places Gamepass and trying to increase their gaming market in PC or mobile, plus Switch peaked this year on its lifecycle and from here will start decreasing its sales.

Last edited:

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Benji pointed out on Twitter that Jim also states their stance has changed on next gen and they now plan to heavily support 1st party games on PS4 through at least 2022.. so for those people that keep claiming there will only be a rare cross-gen game here or there can chill on that. We can probably expect most 1st party games from Sony to also come to PS4 to take advantage of the huge PS4 userbase. I've been saying this for forever and got banned from the next gen speculation thread for saying so i guess i get banned from this thread too haha
"I used to believe in generations like you, but then I took an arrow to my revenue."

Alebrije

If Sony manages to deliver great games of:

TLOU3
GOD OF WAR 2
UNCHARTED 5
BLOODBORNE 2
HORIZION 2
RATCHET AND CLANK
SPIDERMAN 2

Plus :

GOSH OF T. 2
DAYS GONE 2
GRAND TURISMO

And 2 or 3 new AAA IPs than can fill the possible holes of Elders Scrols , Fallout and Doom.

They will be fine.....

Woopah

By growing the market. He talks in the interview about the growth opportunities from expanding into and new geographies and demographics.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

"The global video game market size was valued at USD 151.06 billion in 2019 and is expected to grow at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 12.9% from 2020 to 2027" - this isn't a completely zero sum game. I think the Switch especially attracted a lot of people who weren't core gamers.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
If Sony manages to deliver great games of:

TLOU3
GOD OF WAR 2
UNCHARTED 5
BLOODBORNE 2
HORIZION 2
RATCHET AND CLANK
SPIDERMAN 2

Plus :

GOSH OF T. 2
DAYS GONE 2
GRAND TURISMO

And 2 or 3 new AAA IPs than can fill the possible holes of Elders Scrols , Fallout and Doom.

They will be fine.....
Bring back Motorstorm and Syphon Filter, then you can say you got something..

Calverz

I bought some stock in Sony because I am confident the PS5 is going to be super successful. Especially in light of the way MS shit their pants with Halo and the launch library and are now talking about Xbox 360 games. If you have $500 for a new console I would recommend the PS5 over the XSX completely.

That said if they want the PS5 to be more successful than PS4 they need to branch out and deliver more than just grim third person action adventure games. Astro Playroom is hopefully an indication that they understand this and will be delivering that.
If you have $500 for a new console i reccommend the xbox series x as its the most powerful console on the market, has bc crossing 4 generations of consoles, has gamepass where for a cool $15 per month you have access to hundreds of games which will include day one the big microsoft exclusives such as halo infinite, fable 3, elder scrolls 6, fallout 69, avowed, perfect dark 2. It will alow you to use all ur existing xbox one peripherals and will be the only next gen console to support the full rdna 2 feature set of the amd gpu’s meaning higher visual fidelity.
Also the party chats are private.
If not use the money towards a gaming pc where you can still subscribe to gamepass anyway and have access to all the awesome games on the service.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Jim and the team have done brilliant work getting the studios ready for new gen, especially considering Covid. 1st year of PS5 will be incredible and the last year of PS4 has been spectacular.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

If you have $500 for a new console i reccommend the xbox series x as its the most powerful console on the market, has bc crossing 4 generations of consoles, has gamepass where for a cool $15 per month you have access to hundreds of games which will include day one the big microsoft exclusives such as halo infinite, fable 3, elder scrolls 6, fallout 69, avowed, perfect dark 2. It will alow you to use all ur existing xbox one peripherals and will be the only next gen console to support the full rdna 2 feature set of the amd gpu’s meaning higher visual fidelity.
If not use the money towards a gaming pc where you can still subscribe to gamepass anyway and have access to all the awesome games on the service.
You are not supposed to copy-paste the astroturfing guide!
You need to find a way to say things in your own words.

diffusionx

Gold Member

Why would you spend $500 today to play a bunch of games that are nowhere near coming out or in some instances not even announced?

Last edited:

reptilex

Banned
The PS5 will NEVER be as successful as the PS4, they fucked-up way too much compared to the near perfect PS4 for it to happen. The question is whether it will even sell as much as the PS1 or PS3.

Kagey K

Banned
Was he out snorting lines with the 700 mil analyst?

There are too many factors that have changed now, unless they can get the next Fortnite or Minecraft phenomenon exclusive, they likely won’t even match PS4 sales.

LarknThe4th

I dont see it being more successful than PS4(that was a whole set of advantageous circumstances in concert with Sony firing on all cylinders)

It will make a metric fuckton of cash though

ZywyPL

Banned
TLOU3
GOD OF WAR 2
UNCHARTED 5
BLOODBORNE 2
HORIZION 2
RATCHET AND CLANK
SPIDERMAN 2

Plus :

GOSH OF T. 2
DAYS GONE 2
GRAND TURISMO

Is that what people really want tho, a Sequelstation? Back in the days, and by that I mean 10-20 years ago, Sony was known for A) variety of genres, and B) new IPs, then with PS4 it was just new IPs, since almost all their games are just TPP cinematic action games plus GT, and no offence but your above scenario is even worse than that, like, why even bother with a new console if those games can easily run on PS4? For example, Insomniac is releasing yet again another Sider-Man and R&C, their next game should IMO be a completely new title, new IP, with new gameplay, universe, characters. SSM haven't done anything than GoW since forever other than rebooting the series, and I'm confident they could've create a new flagship IP for Playstation if only given the chance. As always, only time will tell, within a year or two all Sony's studios will release their games (sequels), we will see where they'll go from there on, but something needs to change.

v_iHuGi

Banned

Doesn't matter, Console Userbase will grow, Ps5 will Smash Ps4, at the same time as Switch smashes the Wii.

v_iHuGi

Banned
The PS5 will NEVER be as successful as the PS4, they fucked-up way too much compared to the near perfect PS4 for it to happen. The question is whether it will even sell as much as the PS1 or PS3.

I read this As a parody post, Ps5 is launching in a much better position than Ps4.

Next few months will be rough for you, I feel bad but I'm bookmarking your post.

No thanks, keep the Series X I'll be playing Ps5 all gen long, sorry.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Is that what people really want tho, a Sequelstation? Back in the days, and by that I mean 10-20 years ago, Sony was known for A) variety of genres, and B) new IPs, then with PS4 it was just new IPs, since almost all their games are just TPP cinematic action games plus GT, and no offence but your above scenario is even worse than that, like, why even bother with a new console if those games can easily run on PS4? For example, Insomniac is releasing yet again another Sider-Man and R&C, their next game should IMO be a completely new title, new IP, with new gameplay, universe, characters. SSM haven't done anything than GoW since forever other than rebooting the series, and I'm confident they could've create a new flagship IP for Playstation if only given the chance. As always, only time will tell, within a year or two all Sony's studios will release their games (sequels), we will see where they'll go from there on, but something needs to change.
These are the arguements people used to use against Xbox when it was selling well.....

We don’t want sequels, new IPS only. Stop making sequel factories.

Stop hating indies. They help make games better.

Now it’s we want more sequels and make more games, fuck indoe looking trash, we want more sequels in the same IPS.

Its so backwards.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?

The cinematic sequels Sony gives us is part of the reasons why I've grown less and less interested in their output,. There are exception (Gran Turismo, Ratchet and Clank, anything Souls related). The strategy make sense though, as their tent pole releases sell tons of copies and move hardware. Games are so expensive to make these days that it's hard to offer the variety we saw on the PSOne/PS2 days.

Because the entire world recognizes the Playstation brand and their market is far wider and broad than just North America and the UK.

Idk why it's so hard to understand that.

Literally go to asia and ask every single youth you can find if they have ever owned an Xbox and you'll realise that it's likely that only 1 in 1000 have ever owned one.

It's either PC, Cyber Cafes, or Playstation around here my dude.

Playstation 5 hasn't had huge mishaps in its upcoming launch.

Anything we discuss here that looks negative, which is always some technical jargon in regards to specs, is something that 80% dont pay attention to.

turtlepowa

Banned
I read this As a parody post, Ps5 is launching in a much better position than Ps4.

Next few months will be rough for you, I feel bad but I'm bookmarking your post.
I wouldn't be too sure. 2013 Nintendo fucked up Wii U, Xbox fucked up almost everything and in the end Sony had the most powerful and cheapest console (the most important factor) at launch. This year they neither have the most powerful console nor the cheapest console and Nintendo and Microsoft are serious competition again. Sony's advantage in terms of hardware sales is that Microsoft ports and streams everything on other devices. My guess is that they will hit the 100 million but they don't beat the PS4.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Games are so expensive to make these days that it's hard to offer the variety we saw on the PSOne/PS2 days.

The thing is, this applies mostly exactly to the kind of games that Sony studios are making, the SP-only titles, were a lot of budget goes on the actors, mocap sessions, voice-overs, all the research that needs to be done on certain topic, historic period etc. and those games indeed have a hard time to sustain themselves, because once they hit the store they cost the same as for MP-focused titles, which cost so little to make in comparison, provide basically infinite amount of playtime, and on top of that are easier to incorporate additional money income tools, like DLC, MTX, season pass, lootboxes etc. those kind of games can even be F2P and will still make way more profit than a SP-only game, where all you can do is a 5-15$ DLC, or 40$ standalone spin-off, which again costs so much to make to begin with, so it's a dead end anyway.

The PS3 launching at $599 didn't help Sony to close the gap either.

Top Bottom