• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation: Bungie deal is about multiplatform, live-service games

This is such an odd acquisition for Sony, unless they are going full multiplatform in the future? All future Bungie games will release on all platforms including Xbox obviously. That is in the contract I imagine given what's being said.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
This is such an odd acquisition for Sony, unless they are going full multiplatform in the future? All future Bungie games will release on all platforms including Xbox obviously. That is in the contract I imagine given what's being said.
GaaS games will be going full multiplatform, its obvious.

Stark contrast betwen the leadership of Andrew House/Shawn Layden and Jim Ryan/Hermen Hulst:

But we're still getting the same amount of single player games?
And having ONLY those games isn't really good for Sony with the way costs are increasing...2017 was half a decade ago and we need to let it go...

Also live service games don't need to be Fortnite clones...

lh032

I don't like this direction Sony is taking. They need to hire real people that have good gaming tastes, cause Hermen Hulst and Jim Ryan really ain't it.
its a smart business decision when your competitor is doing the same.
They have to do it to stay in the competitive market.

Traditional games are riskier and have to hit a certain blockbuster target to get actual profits.

Helghan

its a smart business decision when your competitor is doing the same.
They have to do it to stay in the competitive market.

Traditional games are riskier and have to hit a certain blockbuster target to get actual profits.
Which competitor is doing the same? Do you mean Microsoft? Im not aware they have 12 GaaS games in development to release by 2025

Swift_Star

Banned
Bizarre to say the least. You dont need to spend $3.5 billion just to get their live service expertise. Maybe consult them for future releases. You dont have to outright buy them.
Why don’t you present a business case do Jim ryan since you know so much about what you’re talking about. I mean, must be really easy, that’s the reason the majority of GAAS attempts succeed… right? 🙄

Edit: reading the thread further, people are really this oblivious to how much money Bungie makes?

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

Sony is smart to go with the Bungie style of GaaS. How Destiny 2 started to the game it is today, is like your playing a new game.

The expansions, the seasonal story lines and cash shop. They are great. It's not often I see myself praising a cash shop, but the cash shop in destiny 2 is great. You get a chance to buy stuff using an in game currency and that how I've got most of the things I wanted.

I think Bungie has one of the best GaaS games out, so Sony buying them just for their expertise makes sense to me. If being multiple platform was part of the price for Bungie, then so be it. It's not the ip Sony is specifically interested in anyhow.

yurinka

This might also mean future Bungie games are multiplatform as well.
Sony and Bungie said all future Bungie titles will be multiplatform day one including rival consoles.

This doesn't apply to PS Studios games, which are planned to continue being PS only, with some of them (not all) being ported time later aftere their PS release to PC. Their plans for FY2025 don't include even PC release day one for PS Studios games.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Sony is smart to go with the Bungie style of GaaS. How Destiny 2 started to the game it is today, is like your playing a new game.

The expansions, the seasonal story lines and cash shop. They are great. It's not often I see myself praising a cash shop, but the cash shop in destiny 2 is great. You get a chance to buy stuff using an in game currency and that how I've got most of the things I wanted.

I think Bungie has one of the best GaaS games out, so Sony buying them just for their expertise makes sense to me. If being multiple platform was part of the price for Bungie, then so be it. It's not the ip Sony is specifically interested in anyhow.
The expertise and destiny’s revenue makes it worth it. Sony know what they’re doing.

reinking

Gold Member
Well, mobile gaming is still gaming.
Apex Legends, League of Legends, etc.

I feel they are afraid to put them in the comparison as they would be higher in numbers than Playstation. Let’s not also forget around 85% of all gaming profit also comes from Free-To-Play games.
So you want Sony to do something no other console company does when they discuss these types of numbers? No console company puts Apple/Android gaming in the comparison with their gaming category. It might change in the future but I believe most can all agree that mobile gaming and console gaming are still different.

OuterLimits

But we're still getting the same amount of single player games?
And having ONLY those games isn't really good for Sony with the way costs are increasing...2017 was half a decade ago and we need to let it go...

Also live service games don't need to be Fortnite clones...

For now yes. However, many single player games coming out in next year or so have obviously been in the pipeline for awhile. Will be interesting to see what several years down the road looks like.

Not saying I expect Sony to abandon the narrative driven single player games. That is absolutely a strength of theirs, but with ballooning budgets, they may become less frequent.

John Wick

EA cow, which is called Apex legend gave them $2b since the release.

Live service games generate alot of money. If you control these games, you can make tons of money for a long time.
Exactly! Bungie will and are easily capable of making another great game. Will rake in the profits. Bungie will pay for itself while also helping all PS studios. Sony could also task them to make an exclusive game in collaboration with a PS studio.

What else would it be about?

Sony has had massive success releasing AAA single player games but that doesn't mean they won't want to be a big player in the multiplayer/GaaS space.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Sony and Bungie said all future Bungie titles will be multiplatform day one including rival consoles.

This doesn't apply to PS Studios games, which are planned to continue being PS only, with some of them (not all) being ported time later aftere their PS release to PC. Their plans for FY2025 don't include even PC release day one for PS Studios games.
Where did they say ALL?

What I love about Sony embracing things like this that would traditionally get another company flamed out of the building is it forces people to judge each product on their merits and level of enjoyment rather than judging them solely based on it's basic game category.

SaucyJack

Are people assuming that multi-platform = all platforms going forward?

Would not be surprised to see a move towards a prioritisation along the lines of:
1. PlayStation
2. Mobile
3. PC

…. daylight …..

4. Other consoles

Last edited:

yurinka

I like how they never mention Xbox not even Nintendo there. That's called smart marketing.
Both Bungie and Sony said that current and future Bungie games will continue being multiplatform including rival consoles meaning Nintendo and Microsoft.

SIE and PS Studios said PS Studios will continue focusing on PS games even now will increase the amount of PC ports and will experiment with when are they released on PC compared to their PS release. And also mentione will make more console games than before. Not only more PC ports or mobile games.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Weird that with the brand raising so much in profile, along comes the marketing guy to fuck it all up. Where have I heard this before?

Andodalf

Banned

Would not be surprised to see a move towards a prioritisation along the lines of:
1. PlayStation
2. Mobile
3. PC

…. daylight …..

4. Other consoles
This time three years ago people would’ve mass reported you and demand you be banned if you said sony was going to starting putting games on Mobile and PC. in another three years you’re going to be very surprised.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Both Bungie and Sony said that current and future Bungie games will continue being multiplatform including rival consoles meaning Nintendo and Microsoft.

SIE and PS Studios said PS Studios will continue focusing on PS games even now will increase the amount of PC ports and will experiment with when are they released on PC compared to their PS release. And also mentione will make more console games than before. Not only more PC ports or mobile games.

Yes, I know that. I mean they don't mention Xbox and Nintendo by name like the competition, avoiding giving unnecessary exposure for them.

yurinka

Isn't that exactly what Shawn Layden said back in 2019?

Makes sense to put multiplayer games on PC as well, especially with crossplatform mp being a thing nowadays.
No. Shawn was the one who thought PS had to start porting old games to PC. He also thought that was a good idea to bet harder on multiplayer. But are two separate things.

That will probably be the majority of all multiplat Playstation titles. All GaaS will be on PS and PC.
Sony said they plan to release a total of zero games on PS+PC during the current fiscal year and during the fiscal year 2025. They don't plan to release day one any PS Studios games on PC. They only will do it with the Bungie titles.

The current fiscal year they will port 2 titles to PC, being one of them the Uncharted Collection. I bet the other one will be the bundle of TLOU remake and TLOU2 PS5.

1. PlayStation
2. Mobile
3. PC

…. daylight …..

4. Other consoles
For them multiplatform means Bungie releasing day one in all platforms including rival consoles but PS Studios to continue focusing on making new PS only games, but also porting more old games to PC and making more mobile games.

Their priority for at least the next 3 fiscal years will be:
1. PlayStation
2. PC ports of old games and Bungie titles
3. Mobile
4. Bungie games and MLB also released on rival consoles

This is only for PS Studios, Bungie isn't included here but plan to continue releasing Destiny 2 stuff and before 2026 will release "at least" one new IP. I counted how many projects were in each bar and made the graph of the top right to see better the difference. Notice that the cost of new PS games is way higher than a port or a mobile game. And they will invest way more on PS only games than before.

unknown.png

Last edited:
It doesn’t make sense of exclude Xbox for Bungie - they have a fan base on the platform and as a result of xCloud and other initiatives (such as the forthcoming streaming puck) then it’ll be a platform that’ll have a wide reach.
If they aren’t going to be only on PlayStation then they’ll be on everything feasible.

lh032

This time three years ago people would’ve mass reported you and demand you be banned if you said sony was going to starting putting games on Mobile and PC. in another three years you’re going to be very surprised.
i doubt traditional PS games its going to xbox in the future (besides GaaS), i mean xbox has more studios than playstation now , pretty dumb to release any non-gaas games on your rival console (especially with superior subscription service), makes no sense in business perspective., thats like telling your loyal fanbase to go for xbox lol

Last edited:

GymWolf

hahaha. clever.

Jim Ryan said he only needs 2-3 of those 12 GaaS games to be successful. They are well aware of the GaaS failure rate.
Did that fucker really greenlighted 12 gaas games from basically every fucking studio he posses?!

Last edited:
Top Bottom