• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation: Bungie deal is about multiplatform, live-service games

Jose92

[Membe
5QYGsAp.png

licJFDL.png

Ay8Uzml.png

Game Industry Article
Link To Presentation
After buying Bungie, Sony goes all in on live service games | TechCrunch
"The first thing to say unequivocally is that Bungie will stay an independent, multiplatform studio and publisher. Pete [Parsons, CEO] and I have spoken about many things over recent months, and this was one of the first, and actually easiest and most straightforward, conclusions we reached together. Everybody wants the extremely large Destiny 2 community, whatever platform they're on, to be able to continue to enjoy their Destiny 2 experiences. And that approach will apply to future Bungie releases. That is unequivocal."
"I would back us to do [live-service games] ourselves, but when you have the potential to have a partner like Bungie who has been there, done it all before, learned the lessons and have got this wonderful, brilliant team who is there and has the potential to help us... we think we can take something that would have taken a certain number of years, and significantly decrease the time it will take to get it right."

Last edited:
This might also mean future Bungie games are multiplatform as well.

This has been known since the announcement.

In a way yeah. But I think these statements offer a bit more clarity. Their live-service/GaaS strategy is primarily focused around Bungie output, and more Bungie titles beyond just their next immediate IP will likely be multiplatform (& multiconsole).

I'm also personally thinking it might mean that Bungie could also act as publisher for any of the live-service games that actually do go to other consoles, and that they'll at least (most likely) have some type of technical input on other live-service games like Haven's project.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Bizarre to say the least. You dont need to spend $3.5 billion just to get their live service expertise. Maybe consult them for future releases. You dont have to outright buy them.

kingfey

Banned
Old story.
Plus Sony most revenue come from live service games these days. It explains, why they are going for this direction.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What the fuck is Peloton?

Edit: Workout stuff? Guess that explains why I've never heard of them, lol. But the 2nd largest brand in the world?! That's absolutely shocking.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned

Edit: Workout stuff? Guess that explains why I've never heard of them, lol. But the 2nd largest brand in the world?! That's absolutely shocking.
Yeah, I don't buy that list at all. Peloton was at its peak at the start of the pandemic but it's been nothing but bad news for them since. Stock has plummeted, they're facing countless lawsuits due to injuries sustained from their equipment. They lost their shine and are not the second biggest brand. Not even close.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So does everyone though according to how their statement is made, which then begs the question, "why buy the cow if you get the milk for free?"

They will get the profits from Destiny 2 (which I guess makes a lot of money) and any future games Bungie releases.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So does everyone though according to how their statement is made, which then begs the question, "why buy the cow if you get the milk for free?"

So they can get all the revenue the cow is generating.

GaaS games can make billions in year, they'll recoup these costs over a few years and anything after that is gravy.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Have they made any actual fun planets yet for destiny 2? That was the biggest draw fir me fir the first game that 2 failed miserably at.

Yoboman

Because they now get money on every sale on every platform, plus merchandising and movies etcs. And certain GAAS games have been billion dollar properties on their own

But most importantly it's a defensive acquisition cause MS is trying to buy up everything. Sony needs counters

kingfey

Banned
EA cow, which is called Apex legend gave them $2b since the release.

Live service games generate alot of money. If you control these games, you can make tons of money for a long time.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Peloton is fad exercise gear. $3,000 exercise bikes with a monthly subscription with an LCD mini screen. It got big sales and brand scores during covid when everyone was buying it.

Dont be surprised if Peloton drops off like a rock next time they do brand rankings because sales dropped off like a cliff, they laid off 2800 people (20% of their workforce!), usage is down as everyone goes back to the gym, they even stopped production of the bikes because hardly anyone was buying them and stock dropped from $150 to $15 and they looking for someone to come buy them out to save them.

A total disaster. But during those 2 covid years were a smash hit for cyclying fans in their basement.

Instatpot and beans are amazing. No need to soak beans overnight.
With the economy going down the drain more and more people will be eating Beans and rice.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Bizarre to say the least. You dont need to spend $3.5 billion just to get their live service expertise. Maybe consult them for future releases. You dont have to outright buy them.

Why consult when you can lock down their expertise? Denying resources is a pretty valid strategy here (and is how MS is creating value for its platform with their acquisitions).

They want consistent revenue. They get that by using Bungie's expertise to help with other Sony studios upcoming Live Service games AND all revenue Bungie itself makes via Live Service games such as Destiny across all platforms.

I'm not a fan of it, personally. I hate the focus on GaaS.

Hezekiah

Banned
They want consistent revenue. They get that by using Bungie's expertise to help with other Sony studios upcoming Live Service games AND all revenue Bungie itself makes via Live Service games such as Destiny across all platforms.

Tbf it's about 50-50 isnt it?

That's probably more GaaS than I would like, but plenty of single-player/co-op campaign games coming thankfully.

You do, if you believe what's in the pipeline might be really successful and print a lot of money; You also do if you ever intend to have your games featured on your new service at some point...

Bizarre? It's now a Sony publisher...they have been quite successful so far and now will have Sony backing them up. Both will win from this.

Robb

Gold Member
I remember reading something like that when the deal was announced, but it still sounds like a strange arrangement to me.

By the time Warzone 2 releases Microsoft will already own Activision Blizzard. Microsoft will also need a new bank with the amount of profit they'll be gaining.....

BlueHawk357

They have the Apple logo where it counts. Not sure Apple/iPhone belong on the gaming brand category slide.
Well, mobile gaming is still gaming.
Apex Legends, League of Legends, etc.

I feel they are afraid to put them in the comparison as they would be higher in numbers than Playstation. Let’s not also forget around 85% of all gaming profit also comes from Free-To-Play games.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
We have known that long ago.
Purpose of BUngie is to generate GaaS profit for Sony via multiplatforms.

I dont expect them to create exclusive content for playstation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom