• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation boss says investing in new IPs is "very risky", Sony thinks very deeply and carefully when balancing its portfolio

kuncol02

Banned
I like how Dreams and anything from Sony Japan doesn't count. Sounds like xclown mentality to me.
Sony Japan don't count because they are team specifically created to make smaller games. We are talking about allowing existing teams to experiment. Sony is not doing that. They created specific team for that and make rest of their teams work in AAA machine.

Interfectum

Sony Japan don't count because they are team specifically created to make smaller games. We are talking about allowing existing teams to experiment. Sony is not doing that. They created specific team for that and make rest of their teams work in AAA machine.

Media Molecule doesn't count either then, right? So basically, with your goalpost moving, Sony doesn't experiment with games unless Naughty Dog or Guerilla make some cheap early access GAAS game on Steam, then they cool. lol

kuncol02

Banned
Media Molecule doesn't count either then, right? So basically, with your goalpost moving, Sony doesn't experiment with games unless Naughty Dog or Guerilla make some cheap early access GAAS game on Steam, then they cool. lol
"Glad MS let's their studios experiment with side projects like Grounded."

Is Sony allowing their teams to experiment with SIDE PROJECTS? Most of their teams not only is not experimenting AT ALL, but they actually make their games really safe. In most popular genres. Usually sequels or based on some known IP. And yes Assasins Creed clone in most asked time period is really safe project.

Interfectum

Is Sony allowing their teams to experiment with SIDE PROJECTS? Most of their teams not only is not experimenting AT ALL, but they actually make their games really safe. In most popular genres. Usually sequels or based on some known IP. And yes Assasins Creed clone in most asked time period is really safe project.

We don't know? Maybe ND doesn't want to make a low budget side project? What we do know is PlayStation Studios do allow for a ton of side projects as per studios we are not allowed to talk about here because of your specific goal posts.

Also, didn't Obsidian start Grounded before the MS purchase? I'm not so sure MS needs a pat on the back for a project already in the works that they didn't even greenlight.

kuncol02

Banned
We don't know? Maybe ND doesn't want to make a low budget side project? What we do know is PlayStation Studios do allow for a ton of side projects as per studios we are not allowed to talk about here because of your specific goal posts.

Also, didn't Obsidian start Grounded before the MS purchase? I'm not so sure MS needs a pat on the back for a project already in the works that they didn't even greenlight.
No they are not sideprojects. Dreams is only reason why MM exists. That's opposite of side project.

Then maybe they should make worse graphics. I rather have many good PS2 JRPGs a year than one good looking one.

I think Octopath Traveler proved unequivocally that sprite-based or "lower" end graphics are just fine in a AAA title as long as the art is good and the game is good.

corporate guy says corporate things, console fanboys spin it off into bullshit, news at 11

yes new IPs are risky. how is this controversial statement? LOL

Yea idk what the uproar is about.

Last edited:
Sony has the best games lineup in the goddamn industry. Amazing how a bunch of fanboys can take a common sense quote and try to twist it into a negative — especially when we are talking about an area where Sony is unquestionably stronger than Microsoft.

Sony needs to keep doing what it has been doing: kicking the competition’s ass by delivering better games.

Interfectum

I'm pretty sure that MS created more new IPs this generation than copy-paste sequels. Not all of them are worth talking butthat don't matter in that topic.

MS created more than Bloodborne, Knack, The Order 1886, Driveclub, Until Dawn, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Alienation, Matterfall, Detroit, Days Gone, Ghosts of Tsushima, Concrete Genie, Dreams, Death Stranding, etc, etc?

Copy paste? GTFO with your xclowning.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
MS created more than Bloodborne, Knack, The Order 1886, Driveclub, Until Dawn, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Alienation, Matterfall, Detroit, Days Gone, Ghosts of Tsushima, Concrete Genie, Dreams, Death Stranding, etc, etc?

Copy paste? GTFO with your xclowning.
Are you drunk? Can you read what i wrote again? Did I ever said they created more IPs than Sony?

I know I'm in the minority, but it the same either way.

New IP. Old IP. It'll be a singleplayer experience with some qtes, cutscenes that I'd skip through, with more stealth crouching through bushes than you can shake a stick at. The majority will feel similar to one another.

Sony has a winning formula though, so I can't argue with that. While a $60-$70 game, that cost $100m to make, with that blockbuster release might make sense to most... To me, it's largely a waste. There's simply not enough replayability in those games to justify it all.

Interfectum

I know I'm in the minority, but it the same either way.

New IP. Old IP. It'll be a singleplayer experience with some qtes, cutscenes that I'd skip through, with more stealth crouching through bushes than you can shake a stick at. The majority will feel similar to one another.

Sony has a winning formula though, so I can't argue with that. While a $60-$70 game, that cost $100m to make, with that blockbuster release might make sense to most... To me, it's largely a waste. There's simply not enough replayability in those games to justify it all.

Personally I like Sony's laser focus on premium single player gaming. You have so many publishers running after GAAS that it's nice to know if I wanted a good, blockbuster quality SP game, there is still a major publisher aiming for that.

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
You are genuine so I appreciate your posts. Even if you were it is not my place to censor you, I would just reply and challenge that.
I would just expect us to take the argument in context as it was not particularly controversial in the end.

As long as we can chat and either (in time) I change my mind or you change yours (or we can agree to disagree), I do not have much else to say :).
Understandable. Great reply, I respect your honesty. I, myself have nothing else to say on the matter. Thanks and have a great day.

BootsLoader

Banned

Lol, wasn’t horizon zero dawn a very big departure from Killzone? How about Ghosts of Tsushima after Infamous series? Like wtf man? Common, Sony is experimenting. They just make big AAA experiments and not spin offs or small titles, for example, do you remember The Order 1886, it was a AAA flop and not a side project. Oh I almost forgot, if Dreams is not an experiment I don’t know what is.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Lol, wasn’t horizon zero dawn a very big departure from Killzone? How about Ghosts of Tsushima after Infamous series? Like wtf man? Common, Sony is experimenting. They just make big AAA experiments and not spin offs or small titles, for example, do you remember The Order 1886, it was a AAA flop and not a side project. Oh I almost forgot, if Dreams is not an experiment I don’t know what is.
Not really most are using the Sony template in the 3rd person adventure genera. I like the games but a little diversity would be nice. A few more real RPGs or other types of games with huge budgets.

BootsLoader

Banned
Not really most are using the Sony template in the 3rd person adventure genera. I like the games but a little diversity would be nice. A few more real RPGs or other types of games with huge budgets.
Nah, RPGs are usually multiplatform games. Also we have indies for that. In the end I think that small games are not system sellers but more of backlog gaming situations. So companies tend to make bigger budget games to sell more, for reference take a look at the end of PS3 era and the whole PS4 gen. Sony pretty much won because of system seller AAA games. Triple A games also tend to have huge ROI. Small games not so much, they are niche games who only people who really care will play. But in the end, that’s just me.

DonJimbo

What can we expect then? More copy-paste sequels and more remakes?
I must have a talk with you on this matter
hcOFFda.jpg

BootsLoader

Banned
That's fucking Assasins Creed clone in safest possible setting. Japan is so safe and obvious for that formula that even Ubisoft refused to use it.
Well it feels like...more polished, far better than the assassins creed games we have nowadays. From any aspect.
But don’t forget that risk is not only make a game that depends on a “safe” scenario and setting. You have to consider that a studio never made a game like this. They had to change their whole workflow, optimize their engine and take the risk to make a type of game that they’ve never made. Fortunately they shit on every assassins creed that came out in recent years. And to think that Ubisoft is making these games their entire life’s. And lastly, Vikings is not only a very safe setting as was Greece and Egypt but Vikings era is a trend nowadays.

FALCON_KICK

I'd like if Sony makes Vanquish 2 in partnership with Sega/Platinum games. But knowing it'd categorized as a AA title today, it is highly unlikely.

Last edited:
Top Bottom