• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Blog: PS5 April Update brings new storage options and social features

DaGwaphics

My solution to the low disc space was to upgrade to gigabit speed full fibre to the premises broadband. That first time you download a 5-10 gig game in about 20 seconds is really something.

I question these time estimates tbh. Looks like 10GB should be 80 seconds at least on a gigabit connection. Assuming you can get the full speed at all times.

The average spinner is still faster than a gigabit (125MBs) connection, so it should still be a good option

I Cant Help Myself Set It Off GIF by filmeditor

Maybe you meant to say 10Gbit or 100Gbit connection. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Quit gloating you lucky bastard. I've only got a 400mbit (50MBs) connection.

Last edited:

T_LVPL

I downloaded 13 Sentinels which I bought on sale, think the file is about 4 or 5 gig. Maybe 6. Ok I wasn’t timing it with a stopwatch but it was insanely fast, sub 30 seconds easily. hope this helps. I am happy with my investment.

edit: it’s 4.84 gig. a Small file.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I downloaded 13 Sentinels which I bought on sale, think the file is about 4 or 5 gig. Maybe 6. Ok I wasn’t timing it with a stopwatch but it was insanely fast, sub 30 seconds easily. hope this helps. I am happy with my investment.

I was just joshing you man. You've got a great connection that would cost me a kidney from the local cable co. Still took you at least 40 seconds for 5GB though.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
What do you think about this one?
Pretty much the same as I think about notebooks - they're absolute trash when it comes to cooling components, unless we're talking about really expensive ones with very substantial cooling solutions, but even there nothing actually cooling HDDs/SSDs, which are just sitting there and getting more heat from copper pipes as you can see below (that's just one example).

openup.jpg

Rodolink

i hope they fixed these 2 annoying bugs:
- fuckn console turning off while resting
- fuckin disk drive not opening while standing vertical

Arun1910

Nah. Theres two type of people in this world. People that cant google, and people that can.
That has nothing to do with my laziness.

I can Google, just never really cared too much to do it.

System Defaults should reduce user error in most cases. Whenever you design anything in Software you always have to assume the user is stupid (case in point: me).

vkbest

They have implemented the upload/download direct access from the game that PS4 have. That is good for people like me who like to upload manually the saves

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Well, the firmware update is live and it didn't fix any of my problems. I still can't resume AC:Valhalla from disc when the PS5 gets out of rest mode. (And the restart function still doesn't work, it just turns the PS5 off).

Incompetent idiots. :messenger_pouting:

Last edited:

Outrunner

Well, the firmware update is live and it didn't fix any of my problems. I still can't resume AC:Valhalla from disc when the PS5 gets out of rest mode. (And the restart function still doesn't work, it just turns the PS5 off).

Incompetent idiots. :messenger_pouting:

I can perfectly restart AC Valhalla from rest mode, it's also disc version.

Cold storage for PS5 games - finally!!
My solution to the low disc space was to upgrade to gigabit speed full fibre to the premises broadband. That first time you download a 5-10 gig game in about 20 seconds is really something.
If only we all had that option!

TimFL

This. People always complain about download speeds but I got no complaints here... I routinely download with peak gigabit speeds on my PS5.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Most likely a safety measure to avoid not having battery while updating the controller. Android smartphones do it when you update the system.
I think that could've been avoided by doing a simple check on the battery level. Like on a smartphone you may not be allowed to update the system if the battery level is too low. Anyway, like I said, not a huge issue, but it should've been more user friendly since the actual update takes less time than finding a cable and connecting the controller. ;)

saintjules

Yeah, gigabit connection is crazy. I just upgraded to it on Fios after years of 75/75 mbps.

The game library seems to load way faster now, even after scrolling way far down the list as soon as you stop the games populate almost immediately. Which is a very minor thing but it always seemed to have a bit of a delay since the PS4 even. Wonder if they are changing the file structure, or the caching or something.

wvnative

The console in general seems even snappier, excellent update but there is still some work to do. A great step in the right direction

I just tested moving around 200 gigs from my internal drive to my external SSD.

Seems to average about 5min for 50gb. Probably faster than redownloading and saves my data cap

This update hit right on time. I was filling up and MLB The Show + Returnal right around the corner.

graywolf323

Gold Member
has anyone else had system errors that have to be reported when turning on their PS5 since the update? the first time happened when it restarted after the update this morning and then when I just turned it on to check the new titles on sale after lunch :-/

Imtjnotu

LG Oled BX. If you are talking about the raised black, we now have an option with the latest firmware. If you are talking about something else, it's been updated a long time ago.
It still has some color artifacts and flickers along with elevated blacks. Does it on my cx48 and c9-55

twilo99

I really don't understand how they are yet to enable the nvme expansion slot on these machines. Its been how long now?

There must be something wrong. It just doesn't make any sense.

thebigmanjosh

Gold Member
Nice to see you STILL can’t copy games to USB storage in the background and it’s still slow as shit.

Thankfully I live in a place where I get 1GB down w/ no caps, so I've just resigned myself to deleting and downloading to the USB.

Also, not sure if anyone needs to hear this, but it helped save me from buying a new external ssd. Apparently certain enclosure chipsets for external nvme drives don't play nice with the PS4/PS5 rest mode causing them to power off momentarily/need repair every time you go into rest mode. I got a new one today and it works great other than super slow download speeds (<0.5MB/s) from the rear USB A ports. I switched it to the front C port and speeds are identical to the internal drive (~75MB-100MB/s).

Link for anyone who wants to go this route: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NPFV21K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Top Bottom