• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Blog: PS5 April Update brings new storage options and social features

dorkimoe

I really hope the Suspend feature now works properly. I have to shutdown the PS5 completely because when I put the PS5 in rest mode while playing AC:Valhalla, the game disc isn't recognized when the PS5 is turned on again. Really annoying.
With ratchet and clank, when I resume I have no audio and have to restart

Still no external SSD support?

Cerny said PCs should have drives fast enough in Fall 2020 to work. its now spring 2021.
You are never going to play from an external SSD that was always said but yes once this new update comes out at least we can store PS5 games along with PS4 games on an external drive. When it comes to the drives that go into the expansion bay have not been approved yet as you are aware. I don't know if any are on the market yet that meet their standard but if so they haven't approved them, they said it would be sometime after launch before they would be able to approve drives so there was no real commitment on time there.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Bullshit. I’ve had my external with all my PS4 games plugged in since day one.

my brother didn’t have any issues either but lots of people did

skit_data

With ratchet and clank, when I resume I have no audio and have to restart
Tried tapping the ”mute” button once after restarting? The system automatically mutes all audio after suspend mode, indicated by a slow yellow pulse on the controllers mute button.

Last edited:

ManaByte

my brother didn’t have any issues either but lots of people did

This happened three times before someone on Twitter suggested these might be connected
I haven’t done enough testing since leaving the hard drive disconnected to ascertain if there are any additional crashing issues, though anecdotal reports seem to indicate that there are still issues

No, it's all speculation from people who had issues at launch. If there was an issue with external drives, Sony wouldn't be telling people to install games to one.

waquzy

5 months and this is still an issue. Unbelievable.
Not really an issue mate, get your priorities straight. What is an issue however, is the lack of external SSD support and no VRR support. No one cares about the social features etc or EPIC. Sort it out Sony!!!

skit_data

Not really an issue mate, get your priorities straight. What is an issue however, is the lack of external SSD support and no VRR support. No one cares about the social features etc or EPIC. Sort it out Sony!!!
Im pretty sure you can use an external SSD. Are you mixing this up with actual expansion of the internal SSD storage?

Hezekiah

Banned
I'm not sure if Sony are ready for the additional heat M.2 SSD will produce and accumulate. It won't be effectively and actively cooled by anything at all and even if you'll add custom cooper radiator (if it'll even fit), what exactly will be cooling it? There's literally no room there for active cooling of any kind and it is a real problem. I highly doubt that PS5 cooler (no matter how huge it is) will be enough to fix this issue and it is not directly on top of the M.2 chamber.

zCybzJ6.jpg

I'd say go for external USB SSD storage for storing both PS4 and PS5 games (for now) and wait for more info about the M.2 heat and what they'll be doing to combat this problem.
Maybe true, but they need to get on with it. They've had plenty of time for testing.

Nezzeroth

Just because it's not an issue for you doesn't mean it's not an issue for others.

waquzy

Just because it's not an issue for you doesn't mean it's not an issue for others.
Chill dude, I have the same issue, but I can live with it, it's not a deal-breaker there are far more important things that need to be addressed by Sony ASAP!

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I haven't heard anything yet about 8K support. It's listed as a feature on the packaging, but 8K is not supported. Class action suit in the making?

EijubvMWAAAkp6b.jpg

TLZ

Banned
Manage console storage from the PS App is great. It already had this feature but it was only available if your storage was almost full. This was one of the features I had sent as feedback, so glad it's in there now. I hope this also means you can copy screenshots and videos directly from the console via the app. Otherwise, i would like to see a feature in the future that you can use the cloud storage for screenshots and video's, accessible via the PS App.
What's the best place for feedback? I want them to add an option to increase trophy notification volume. I cannot hear it at all.

waquzy

I haven't heard anything yet about 8K support. It's listed as a feature on the packaging, but 8K is not supported. Class action suit in the making?

EijubvMWAAAkp6b.jpg
I think It's up to the developers if they want to add an 8K @ 15fps option in their games... you can't really blame Sony.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
980 Pro was released last year before PS5 even launched.

PCI-e Gen 4 M.2 SSDs are way faster than what PS5 has and it'll be interesting to see if PS5 will support these kind of speeds.
I've got the 980 Pro and it 's really quick, but like a lot of SSDs the write speeds drop after around 100gbs (5,000mb/s down to 2,000mb/s).

Gamerguy84

Good update for now. Didn't they say around summer for the internal expansion?

I need to order a fast enough external for fast transfers, 10Gbps.

Renozokii

I wonder if this is a disc issue... or a game one... maybe both? I have the Digital PS5 and I haven't turned it off since I got it. It's been on Rest Mode through many games + Netflix/Disney+ and has never had an issue coming out of Rest Mode.
Have 0 issues with discs here.

ethomaz

Banned
I'm not sure if Sony are ready for the additional heat M.2 SSD will produce and accumulate. It won't be effectively and actively cooled by anything at all and even if you'll add custom cooper radiator (if it'll even fit), what exactly will be cooling it? There's literally no room there for active cooling of any kind and it is a real problem. I highly doubt that PS5 cooler (no matter how huge it is) will be enough to fix this issue and it is not directly on top of the M.2 chamber.

zCybzJ6.jpg

I'd say go for external USB SSD storage for storing both PS4 and PS5 games (for now) and wait for more info about the M.2 heat and what they'll be doing to combat this problem.
What do you think about this one?

P1000619_1920.jpg

notebook-aberto_03.jpg

006.jpg

ethomaz

Banned
You're making your own counterargument there, of hundreds of millions of laptops out there with worse cooling, SSDs/HDDs aren't dying at epidemic rates and have gotten vastly more reliable. Most laptops probably have less to no airflow going over the SSD than the PS5 because of their thin designs.

NAND in fact prefers operating warmer to a degree, but not the controller. As cool as possible isn't the best for it like other parts, but rather bringing it to an optimal point and not having it go beyond.

There also is some overhead for some amount of heatsink height, the channels going up and down would be preferable. Looks like something like that WD Black with a flush heatsink would fit.

OYzId5RMBOKT5XyZIGNw1szZMgroJPl7kg16zwC3hvQ.jpg

I feel like assuming they just didn't think of heat is going to end up as...You know.
Exactlly... just look at the pics.

There is no cooling in M.2 NVMe SSD in any notebook in the world.
Plus there is no space for heatsinks.... PS5 at least has a very good space for heatsinks.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Yes. I think they could have designed internals of the system better to provide more room for big M.2 heatsinks and proper airflow, which could help to keep NAND from going above 85C or staying at around 80C at least which won't degrade performance too much (if at all).

Which, you're assuming they didn't. Above 85 also isn't immediately critical. 85 is only optimal, and overcooling NAND isn't. It won't take the biggest heatsinks SSD out there, but why assume the ones they approve will overheat and be unreliable especially where NAND likes heat.

See above. I'm not talking about screw mounts. Anyway, there's no point in arguing any longer, we'll see how things will turn out when they'll actually activate M.2 slot.

Is what I say!

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
8k will be mostly for streaming like Netflix and Youtube when they add 8k content. The console is ready to output 8k signal.

The console is ready for 8k, but it won't output 8K if you're one of the few people with an 8K HDTV. VRR is also MIA. It was supposed to come with a future firmware update, but it still isn't ready for relase six months after the console was launched.

Zoro7

Banned
The console is ready for 8k, but it won't output 8K if you're one of the few people with an 8K HDTV. VRR is also MIA. It was supposed to come with a future firmware update, but it still isn't ready for relase six months after the console was launched.
Do you have an 8k TV? No didn't think so. Anything to complain about. Whatever it is.

Klayzer

Custom themes when sony, I'm tired of looking at nioh 2 graphic
Long wait ahead, if we're going by previous Sony history. They literally take years to put back features from a previous generation.

Out of all console makers, Microsoft is the gold standard at retaining hard earned updates. Its an ongoing problem with both Nintendo and Sony at the start of a new gen.

kruis

Do you have an 8k TV? No didn't think so. Anything to complain about. Whatever it is.

Nope. And I don't have a TV that supports VRR. But I still think Sony should have implemented these HDMI 2.1 features right from the start and not "in a future firmware update".

DaveinAmaze

Neo Member
Hopefully this update fixes the issue with using an external ssd drive and rest mode. Currently if I leave my external drive connected to my PS5 and enter rest mode, when I turn the system back on I'll get an error saying the drive wasn't disconnected properly and that it has to rebuild the drive (only takes a few seconds to rebuild but still annoying).

I'm using the external Adata se800 1tb ssd nvme drive for reference

Sw0pDiller

I have an 1tb ssd where all of my ps4 games reside (about 8) and got 3 pure ps5 games installed (demons souls, astro and control) there is not a sign that I won't have enough space on this system. Ps5 game installes are about 40pct smaller that ps4 counterparts anyway. Where do you guys get the time to play these games that are clogging up your systems? I have too much already and psplus/collection keeps pushing games to my backlog.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Finally some good fucking news.
Still no folders so I've put my PS5 into an industrial shredder:

It hurts to watch doesn't it? Disgusting waste of peoples labor really.

We're in the bourgeois end-game now, next stop is:

"I shouldn't have to work at all because its just too stressful, please send the money in the post, but by courier because I don't want to deal with the postman he gives me funny looks and its stressing me out."

Anything for clout.

Arkam

The USB storage is a decent stop gap I guess until we can due the true expansion. Dont have an extra external drive at present, so I doubt I'll use. PS5 storage is very much limited, but tolerable for now. Sure hope the officially supported expansion drives happen this fall. Cuz I know I will need it once GT7 ships and (likely) becomes a perm install on my PS5.

I'll just get a massive HDD and just use it for storage. The games that I'm currently playing I'll just keep it in the internal drive.

Sounds like a good plan once I get my hands on a PS5.

Top Bottom