• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Blog: PS5 April Update brings new storage options and social features

Wow. You still can't download PS5 games to your external storage or upgrade PS5 games on external storage.

You still have to copy/paste it fist and need the space on your main drive for anything. It's really just an archive solution.

What shitty programming by Sony.

Calverz

So your telling me my friends can play my ps5 games with a dual shock 4 but i cant locally??
confused will ferrell GIF

cormack12

Gold Member
Solid update. The storage temporary solution is the big win here. Not really convinced share play was a hugely used feature but hopefully some people get a fair bit of use from it. Game Base updates were needed but they are quite rudimentary. Long way to go for me. Customise Library will be excellent, will need to check it out before making full judgement on it though. PlayStation App - meh.

Bryank75

Banned
Appreciated, particularly the storage options but there is a lot to do....

Friends and messaging / parties needs to be centralized and immediately viewable when you come out of a game / pause. Trophies needs to go back to list form and also be closer to immediately viewable once you pause.

Folders as v_iHuGi v_iHuGi said would be great.

And we need word on the ssd expansions.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Can someone explain the Pre-Update again? I think I read it 5 times and still don't know how it is different from the current behavior.

I don't care, I have put all my PS4 games in an external USB 3 drive and so far I have no real PS5 game.

All I want are folders and the old front end, you kind of get used to the new one... But it's clunky compared to the perfect integration that the PS4's UI offered-it never got in the way.

Zeroing

Banned
Nice, glad they are evolving the PS5 OS. Is it my impression or the updates on the OS are being made faster than on the PS4 when it launched ?

Skifi28

This is actually great. I expected some of this stuff at launch, but it's not too bad given the times we live in.

HoofHearted

There are still not much of these fast PCIe gen4 NVMe drives available on the market atm.
Agreed - and that's ok...

But that's not an excuse for Sony to release the update supporting the feature and/or provide an official statement regarding minimum M.2 specs. Maybe I’m not aware of the latter but I haven’t seen anything other than “it’s going to require a high-end/speed SSD”.

graywolf323

Gold Member
I hope they eventually bring back update history for PS5 games so you can see patch notes like you can on PS4

I'm not sure I've seen any system besides the PS4 do that (and maybe the Vita? IIRC)

Looks like a big update.

The next one is probably about the M.2 expansion and hope VRR to stop the cries in every thread.
they'll just find new things to cry about

Last edited:

HoofHearted

Yeah I don't get that either tbh. My PS5 auto downloads updates already in sleep mode etc. ready to apply when I log in.
It should go ahead and apply the patch before you login (given you’ve enabled that option).

My XSX does this seamlessly... I keep signing in thinking that I have to download and apply latest update that I’ve read about and then realize it’s already been done.

JackMcGunns

PS5 Storage Expansion and Management

• Store PS5 Games on Compatible External USB Drives.* With this feature, you can now transfer your PS5 games to USB extended storage from your console’s internal storage. It’s a great way to extend the storage capabilities of your PS5 console, and you can seamlessly copy your PS5 games back to the console’s internal storage when you’re ready to play. It is faster to reinstall PS5 games from USB extended storage than to re-download or copy them from a disc.

How was this not a day one feature?

ManaByte

They really need another way to get screenshots off the system. Right now the ONLY way to get a screenshot off the PS5 is to share it to fucking Twitter. At least give us the option to save it to Google Drive (you're logged into Google with YouTube on the system anyways).

Zimmy68

Will I be able to multitask while transferring games like Xbox?
Currently the PS5 locks you out of doing anything until the transfer is complete which is infuriating.

Kuranghi

Still no folders so I've put my PS5 into an industrial shredder:

It hurts to watch doesn't it? Disgusting waste of peoples labor really.

We're in the bourgeois end-game now, next stop is:

"I shouldn't have to work at all because its just too stressful, please send the money in the post, but by courier because I don't want to deal with the postman he gives me funny looks and its stressing me out."

Top Bottom