• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Asia requires PS+ to enter lottery for PS5

PlayStation Hong Kong posted the following:

Announcement of PlayStation 5 Latest News
From now until January 6, all players can log in to the following PlayStation Platinum Shop "PlayStation 5" online pre-order lottery system website to pre-order PS5.

※ The event is limited to PlayStation Plus members registered in Hong Kong.
For more pre-order information, please refer to the top message, thank you for your support!

You have to have a PS+ subscription to enter a lottery to be able to buy a PS5. It's not even a guaranteed preorder.

What the fuck is this? Who the hell in marketing thought of this bullshit.

Last edited:

DarkBatman

PlayStation Hong Kong posted the following:

You have to have a PS+ subscription to enter a lottery to be able to buy a PS5. It's not even a guaranteed preorder.

What the fuck is this? Who the hell in marketing thought of this bullshit.

Isn't that exactly what many people online wanted to have?
To give the "real PS fans" a chance to order a PS5 and not some scalpers or "casual gamers"?
And now that's BS as well?

I mean... no matter what they do, there's one person crying about it online.

Last edited:
Am I supposed to be outraged over this? It makes perfect sense to me.

I WISH you had to have proof of PS+ or Xbox Gold to preorder or buy a console in the rest of the world. Scalpers would have been screwed and the players who most wanted a console most would have had the best shot at getting one.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Imagine having to pay subscription to get the chance of buying a console. Weird times.

DarkBatman

where is the guy from the other thread that called sony the most pro consumer gaming company?
I mean... it's a pretty pro consumer thing to do, isn't it?
If you're a loyal part of the PS ecosystem, here's your reward: You get a special chance to get a PS5. Scalpers or "casual gamers" have to wait.
Seems to be a pretty fair strategy if you just haven't got enough consoles for EVERYONE atm.

ethomaz

Banned
Imagine having to pay subscription to get the chance of buying a console. Weird times.
It is called Loyalty... all business market do that and consumers become happy.

"Loyalty programs are effective at retaining customers by preventing them from turning to the competition. These programs can also maximize the lifetime value of a customer by offering incentives to spend more and buy more often. Successful customer loyalty programs are win-wins for brands and consumers."

Keywords: win-win for both... pro brands and pro consumers.

Last edited:
It might seem BS but it's basically a ballot of loyal customers.
This.
When I first read this I was like wth. Now that I think more about it, it makes sense. They are basically giving *theoretically* their more loyal customers a first chance.

I'm not saying that you can't be loyal and not subscribe to PS+, but more so it makes sense from Sony's perspective.

ethomaz

Banned
This.
When I first read this I was like wth. Now that I think more about it, it makes sense. They are basically giving *theoretically* their more loyal customers a first chance.

I'm not saying that you can't be loyal and not subscribe to PS+, but more so it makes sense from Sony's perspective.
From Sony and Consumer perspective.

I developer and implement CRM (Customer Relationship Manager) Business Applications focused in Loyalty... it is basically a must for the company and consumers... actually I have a project at production stage in Localiza Hertz since 2011 in Brasil and it is basically a core of their business.

Most company needs and have/will have a Loyalty system... there is no downback... only beneficies for both companies and consumers.

Last edited:

GrayFoxPL

Subs:

i wanna go home tom hiddleston GIF

It's good.

Wish EU did something like this.

smbu2000

I thought most people bought into the ps ecosystem to play the single player Sony PS exclusive games, which don’t require ps+ to play? Isn’t this shutting out those players who don’t care about multiplayer games, but are still big Sony fans?

Azurro

Banned
It should be tied to playstation trophies. If you dont have 10 platinums you dont count as a human being and dont deserve to play next gen games.

They can buy a switch.

To be fair though, if you don't have enough consoles to fulfill demand, this is a pretty sound way of both giving their loyal customers a reward and also avoid random people scalping consoles.

Ideally they'd have 10 or even 15 million consoles for the worldwide launch ready to go from day 1 so anyone and everyone could get one, but outside of cellphones I don't know who can fulfill that kind of production demand so you have to find solutions.

WakeTheWolf

So if scalpers buy and sell the ps5, you'd have something negative to say as well.

So what do you want Sony to do then? Or are you just here to try to spin something negative out of this?
The scalping situation is on both retailers and marketplaces like Ebay to sort out. Having a lottery system for only PS+ members alienates both those new to the eco-system and those that only use it for offline. Sony likes to alienate their fanbase though especially with politics.

Last edited:
This is great, I can't see why anyone would view this as a bad thing and be mad at it. This gives loyal customers and actual players a chance at getting a console, and not, you know, random scalpers.

Not to mention this is when buying directly from Sony, it's not like they won't be sold anywhere else.

Last edited:
The scalping situation is on both retailers and marketplaces like Ebay to sort out. Having a lottery system for only PS+ members alienates both those new to the eco-system and those that only use it for offline. Sony likes to alienate their fanbase though especially with politics.

Speaking of fanboys...

🤡 🤡 🤡

AlexxKidd

I believe they should take it a step further. Those who have been subscribed longer should have higher chances.

What pea-brained sack of shit is supposed to be outraged over this?

WakeTheWolf

I believe they should take it a step further. Those who have been subscribed longer should have higher chances.

What pea-brained sack of shit is supposed to be outraged over this?
Why not both your subscribers and newcomers? Have two separate lotteries. They could easily implement a system to prevent scalpers.

Nester99

Seems weird to care enough about PlayStation to be all bent out of shape you can’t get a PS5 but at the same time play so little PS your not a PS+ member.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It is called Loyalty... all business market do that and consumers become happy.

"Loyalty programs are effective at retaining customers by preventing them from turning to the competition. These programs can also maximize the lifetime value of a customer by offering incentives to spend more and buy more often. Successful customer loyalty programs are win-wins for brands and consumers."

Keywords: win-win for both... pro brands and pro consumers.
So you are telling me Sony does not care about me, someone who spent years paying PS+ and a lot of money on physical games.

I don't know man. This is good for some consumers but it feels like a "fuck you" to the rest of us.

sainraja

Of course sony fanboys won't be bothered by this or anything lol But it does penalise others new to the console
I thought most people bought into the ps ecosystem to play the single player Sony PS exclusive games, which don’t require ps+ to play? Isn’t this shutting out those players who don’t care about multiplayer games, but are still big Sony fans?
And you guys think other people posting in this thread are fanboys? 😂

Boss Mog

I see no problem with this. Better for Sony to give pre-orders to actual Playstation users and fans rather than scalpers. I'm guessing Sony isn't the only buying option if you wanna get a PS5 in Hong Kong, so non PS+ members are free to try those avenues instead.

Man, you are really trying to spin this. Some people are really triggered over PlayStation's popularity.

MastaKiiLA

This gives loyal customers a better chance to get a system. Demand is stupid high right now, so many people who want a system, and will buy games, can't get one. PS+ subs are already paying customers, and probably more inclined to buy digital games, when compared to non-subs. This makes financial sense. If this offends you, vote with your dollar, and boycott the PS5. Seeing as people mostly like to complain online, while doing the opposite IRL, I don't expect anyone to boycott based on this.

I read that India gets their PS5 in February. I'm hoping I can get my hands on one here around the same time. Fingers crossed. I'm not super-optimistic, as there are enough crazy rich asians here, and they have the benefit of living in Bangkok, where all the largest retailers are located.

fvng

I can't be mad at this, anything to stick it to scalpers and make their job harder I'm fine with it. Regular non scalping customers are likely going to have Plus anyway or will buy one eventually as soon as they get a PS5. So it's part of the overall cost regardless.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
It’s a good idea to help thwart scalpers IMO.

For future launches I think Sony, MS and Nintendo should all do like a month preorder window 6 months or more in advance of release that‘s only open to current paid members. Let their most loyal customers have an easy way to secure a launch console and get them upgraded and still locked into the ecosystem ASAP.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Don't see a problem here whatsoever. Wish they would do this in the US too:

1) Scalper BOTs don't have PS +

2) Reward your loyal customers with a prioritized chance to join next gen over everyone else

Result- The people that truly want your new system have the best chance at getting one.

OP is mad that they don't have PS+ lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom