• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation and Microsoft suspends Facebook advertising

CRAIG667

As a resident of the United Kingdom it's absolutely insane to me that Trump has any support left, reading through the comments here has been eye opening.

What the f is wrong with you people? Alot of hate for them doing the right thing. F Trump and the racist a$$ rightwing.
i dont think many people here would dispute him being an idiot......but there are also alot of idiots idiots on the left side of things that sprout garbage just as much as the rightwing groups and they also need to be held accountable

sony removing their advertising really does fuck all except tick that feel good box that the left all love but is of not much actual substance

Neofire

I'm waiting for them to ban the Black Hebrew Israelites pages.
Bet it won't happen.
I get that black being at the beginning of the name isn't needed but how are the group themselves, misleading?

As far as any Isrealite group preaching inaccurate Doctrine isn't out of the realm of possibility.

People need to remember just because you don't agree with something or what someone is saying doesn't necessarily means it's false.

rofif

Banned
Some companies are saying they are supporting hate speech/racism because they are refusing to censor certain speech that they don't like. They are attempting to force them to change their policies.

Problem is of course, who decides what should or shouldn't be censored. And it looks to be purely politcal
oh ok.
I am nok with censoring everything nowadays, so facebook is actually ... good ?!

oh ok.
I am nok with censoring everything nowadays, so facebook is actually ... good ?!

Censoring/policing of language is a slippery slope imo.

There are certain blatant stuff that should be universally censored for sure and there are stuff that could or shouldn't be censored depending on your pov.

When it comes to those kind of issues, I prefer to let it be aired/posted and let each person do their research and decide for themselves instead of FB, Twitter or whatever social media decide for us.

Xplainin

Banned
I get that black being at the beginning of the name isn't needed but how are the group themselves, misleading?

As far as any Isrealite group preaching inaccurate Doctrine isn't out of the realm of possibility.

People need to remember just because you don't agree with something or what someone is saying doesn't necessarily means it's false.
Nah, they are a racist organization. They stand on street corners calling white people the white devil, they are anti-semitic as well.

They are a true hate group. But I bet they won't be kicked off Facebook.

cormack12

Gold Member
Marketing: How much will one month lost ad revenue cost?
Marketing: How much social media reach will we gain and what news cycles will we be in?
Marketing: We can take a small hit and enhance our image, CFO will you sign off?
CFO: Yea, sure.

Public: My favourite corporation ever!!!!!! They are ever so much smarter and altruistic than your mega corporation.
f595c599c9c5ee5e0468fa1758612a5a59a5b389_00.gif

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
These social media sites can't wipe out racism and hate because (uncomfortable truith alert) a lot of it comes from non-whites. And we can't just go around banning those, can we.

Drewpee

Banned
The platform holder joins Coca-Cola, Honda, Unilever, Ford, Starbucks and Microsoft

PlayStation is the latest major organisation to temporarily stop advertising on Facebook and Instagram.

It's part of the #StopHateForProfit campaign. Facebook has drawn criticism for its rules around allowing hate content and misinformation to be visible on its platform. Whereas other social media outlets, including Twitter and Twitch, have recently started cracking down on hate speech

PlayStation said in a statement: "In support of the #StopHateForProfit campaign, we have globally suspended our Facebook and Instagram activity, including advertising and non-paid content, until the end of July. We stand for working (and playing) together for good."

Microsoft has also reportedly stopped advertising on Facebook for the month, although it awkwardly follows news that it has partnered with the firm over its Facebook Gaming streaming platform.

🥱

This is all about trying to coherce another company into controlling speech in a way these companies prefer and it is 100% BS. Too many Americans have become supportive of censorship because they hate Trump soo much and see this as a way to hurt him.

I say that as someone who considers myself a proud progressive. It is just too obvious to ignore anymore and I can't be ok with it just because I don't like Trump personally.

ExpandKong

Banned
i dont think many people here would dispute him being an idiot......but there are also alot of idiots idiots on the left side of things that sprout garbage just as much as the rightwing groups and they also need to be held accountable

sony removing their advertising really does fuck all except tick that feel good box that the left all love but is of not much actual substance

*raises hamd*

I’m not saying he’s my favorite person or even my favorite president but I don’t think you get as far as he has if you’re an idiot. I can’t imagine stumbling upward to that extent.

A few months ago Zucker was taking a lot of heat from lobbies, the press and the industry. It's almost like there's a concerted effort to get rid of Facebook. It couldn't be to rid competition could it? Or that Facebook - dare I say it - isn't as bad as Google, YouTube, twitter et Al for censoring the 'wrong kind of hate'?

No, it couldn't be that...

iorek21

Facebook is right on this, “hate speech” is a very ambiguous word that can and WILL be used to silence diverging opinions if possible. Facebook already policies its social network for abusive posts, it’s more than enough.

As for what those companies are trying to do, here’s what will happen at the end of the year:

c8kFJLNM53URrxXRyvmFf8-320-80.jpg

CrysisFreak

Banned
Facebook is right on this, “hate speech” is a very ambiguous word that can and WILL be used to silence diverging opinions if possible. Facebook already policies its social network for abusive posts, it’s more than enough.

As for what those companies are trying to do, here’s what will happen at the end of the year:

c8kFJLNM53URrxXRyvmFf8-320-80.jpg
Is the Zuck, dare I say it, /ourguy/ ?

MastaKiiLA

In a choice between so called "virtue signaling" and doing noting, "virtue signaling" always wins. I fail to see how the choice of inaction would be superior. Could they do more? I'm sure they could, but this boycott is intended to pressure FB and other social sites into updating their policies on certain types of content. Playstation joining the boycott lends itself to that movement more than doing nothing would, and clearly more than anyone in this thread could. Individuals lack the clout to make a large platform implement change. But the threat of reduced ad revenue will certainly be more convincing. As more companies join the boycott, momentum is gained. This is just one of numerous attempts to affect change, so it's worth supporting. Unless you like the status quo, in which case, good for you. A public facing brand doesn't have the same level of anonymity or irrelevance.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
In a choice between so called "virtue signaling" and doing noting, "virtue signaling" always wins. I fail to see how the choice of inaction would be superior. Could they do more? I'm sure they could, but this boycott is intended to pressure FB and other social sites into updating their policies on certain types of content. Playstation joining the boycott lends itself to that movement more than doing nothing would, and clearly more than anyone in this thread could. Individuals lack the clout to make a large platform implement change. But the threat of reduced ad revenue will certainly be more convincing. As more companies join the boycott, momentum is gained. This is just one of numerous attempts to affect change, so it's worth supporting. Unless you like the status quo, in which case, good for you. A public facing brand doesn't have the same level of anonymity or irrelevance.
Why do you put virtue signaling in quotes? Do you not believe its a thing?

cormack12

Gold Member

I don't think anyone has said it's a bad thing per se. The conversation is around the honesty of it. It's like the comparison of the rich man giving $10 to charity and the poor lady giving all she has which is two coppers. This won't put any pressure on facebook financially. And it's not going to hurt the companies either. It's a carefully orchestrated show of pushback that's acceptable to both parties while keeping the partnerships healthy.

Microsoft pause advertising on Facebook
Microsoft partners with facebook for facebook gaming

Sony pause advertising on Facebook
Sony renegotiating music contract with Facebook

Don't be surprised if that loss is absorbed as a service cost somewhere in that contract. Now, if they said we're not going to use the platform ever agan until change is affected then yeah, that's probably worth saying fair play too. But then you get into all the sub arguments, should sponsors and affiliates be able to dictate and affect policy? Which inevitably leads to corruption. At the moment, it's a positive thing because it aligns with something you identify with. Let's say they pulled out of advertising because Facebook deplatformed someone like Alex Jones - would you be as quick to praise them. Generally on GAF, the cause isn't really discussed so much as the holistic issue. It;s not just as simple as doing this is better than doing nothing when we're talking about things of this scale.

Aidah

I need to look into this more. I found it funny for instance that Microsoft announced the same thing, but also at the same time announced that they're partnering with Facebook Gaming.

to be honest, it's not like young people uses Facebook all that much these days. probably just a way to get some good will points and cut down on their ad budget while they're at it.

Sam Hyde

Banned
Affirmative Racism.

Almost. Once you realise that the narrative is not so much about being pro one race as it is being against another then much becomes clear.

On the same note isn’t it interesting that we’re supposed to believe we live in a free market society yet I struggle to even imagine for example Xbox catering to a BLM-skeptic audience. The demand should be quite huge for people who are tired and done with Antifas mass violence and woke blackness.

Yet nothing.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
So some of you are okay with Facebook being used to spread racist nonsense and conspiracy theories that are being created by Russian Intelligence?

You're being disingenuous about why people are siding with Facebook on this one.
If they complied, we'd see more stifling of actual voices with substance, just as Google has been doing as well as Twitter.

Using "Hate Speech" as a Trojan Horse to crush our freedoms is a real and genuine thing. Wake the fuck up.

You're being disingenuous about why people are siding with Facebook on this one.
If they complied, we'd see more stifling of actual voices with substance, just as Google has been doing as well as Twitter.

Using "Hate Speech" as a Trojan Horse to crush our freedoms is a real and genuine thing. Wake the fuck up.

First of all the first amendment does not protect hate speech or racism. Second, some of the conspiracy theories being posted and reposted all over social media were started by Russian Intelligence, such as "wearing masks affects your oxygen intake." I think some of you are well aware of the misinformation being spread about SARS COVID 2 and the overt racism towards Muslims, African Americans, Latinos, and Asians. So when you accuse someone of being disingenuous, know and understand that when you support lies, half-truths, and overt racism, you are on the wrong side of the Constitution of the United States.

Freedom of Speech does not mean you can say whatever you feel like saying...

Perhaps you don't understand that you cannot run into a crowded theater and yell "fire" when there is no fire.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

I need to look into this more. I found it funny for instance that Microsoft announced the same thing, but also at the same time announced that they're partnering with Facebook Gaming.

I also have been laughing at the hypocrisy of this thread. Then I realized its just abother fuck Sony thread. Im also surprised its lived this long and not moved to politics.

First of all the first amendment does not protect hate speech or racism. Second, some of the conspiracy theories being posted and reposted all over social media were started by Russian Intelligence, such as "wearing masks affects your oxygen intake." I think some of you are well aware of the misinformation being spread about SARS COVID 2 and the overt racism towards Muslims, African Americans, Latinos, and Asians. So when you accuse someone of being disingenuous, know and understand that when you support lies, half-truths, and overt racism, you are on the wrong side of the Constitution of the United States.

Perhaps you don't understand that you cannot run into a crowded theater and yell "fire" when there is no fire.

There are no exceptions under the first amendment for hate speech or racist speech. One can say whatever they want unless they are threatening or inciting violence.

Edit: I was mistaken when I said hate speech wasn't constitutionally protected, however, it is true that you can't say whatever you want to say. Posting lies and certain "ideologies" on the internet is the same as running into a crowded theater and yelling "Fire!"

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
First of all the first amendment does not protect hate speech or racism. Second, some of the conspiracy theories being posted and reposted all over social media were started by Russian Intelligence, such as "wearing masks affects your oxygen intake." I think some of you are well aware of the misinformation and overt racism towards Muslims, African Americans, Latinos, and Asians. So when you accuse someone of being disingenuous, know and understand that when you support lies, half-truths, and overt racism, you are on the wrong side of the Constitution of the United States.

You read like a Twitter post, you aim to sound intelligent but you just sound like hot air with some fancy wording mixed in between. You have this condescension about you as well.
As for the First Amendment, it certainly protects the right to say what you want. But, you face consequences based on what you say. That's how the world works.
You are not protected from the consequences, but have a right to due process should it come to that.

Top Bottom