• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the biggest understatement I've read in all of the 390 pages that make up this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nZnPoCvBds

I meant nice in this way. THAT BETTER?

Being an FF fan has been depressing lately. No Versus XIII, still no localisation on Type-0. I've been waiting years. We'll probably get XIII-3 first, and Lightning instead of Cloud in this game :(

For the sake of your sanities you should forget about Versus XIII. It's a Duke Nukem Forever and when it comes out it'll disappoint.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
radec really sucks when using him on the hot shots golf level (the one with the fish at the bottom). all other levels i can do really well with him.

and i dont know why people complain about radec. he's not a good up close fighter. what are people supposed to do? not snipe and sticky bomb you even though that's what his success is built on?

It's not that he has those skills, it's that they use them over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over again, with no variation. Each character has over 20 moves at their disposal, and yet they keep using those same two moves over and over again.

Sure, Radec is not an up close fighter, but when battling against a good one, he has that awesome combo that you can pull off to get some space (that pistol butt/kick move that sends you flying, so he can then set you up with one of his long range shots). I was playing against a really good Radec that was using every trick in the book, and not just relying on spamming. He was super good at using the cover move, and rolling to evade my attacks and supers, and countering with his own attacks.

Fighting against a Radec like that is fun and challenging, not annoying because he just move spams.

Being an FF fan has been depressing lately. No Versus XIII, still no localisation on Type-0. I've been waiting years. We'll probably get XIII-3 first, and Lightning instead of Cloud in this game :(

I haven't loved a Final Fantasy since X. When I consider how consistently excellent the franchise was during the PS1 era, that's a pretty glum realisation. XI and XIV, due to their MMO nature, should never have been labelled as mainline Final Fantasys in the first place. X-2 felt like FF for tweenies, XII didn't feel like FF at all whilst having a completely inconsequential story/cast of characters, and XIII was just complete toss outside of its combat system. I haven't even bothered giving XIII-2 a try... I mean what's the point.

Lightning can go suck an egg. What hurts the most is deep down I know she'll be in Battle Royale. I just want to get that inevitable reveal out the way as soon as possible.

Shahed

For the sake of your sanities you should forget about Versus XIII. It's a Duke Nukem Forever and when it comes out it'll disappoint.

But I'm also waiting on Kingdom Hearts 3. That won't get started until Versus is done. So if I give up on that....

Let's move on! Who thinks we'll see an Infamous 3? Loved the second game, but that ending makes it awkward

It's not that he has those skills, it's that they use them over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over again, with no variation. Each character has over 20 moves at their disposal, and yet they keep using those same two moves over and over again.

Sure, Radec is not an up close fighter, but when battling against a good one, he has that awesome combo that you can pull off to get some space (that pistol butt/kick move that sends you flying, so he can then set you up with one of his long range shots). I was playing against a really good Radec that was using every trick in the book, and not just relying on spamming. He was super good at using the cover move, and rolling to evade my attacks and supers, and countering with his own attacks.

Fighting against a Radec like that is fun and challenging, not annoying because he just move spams.

well in that regard anyone can be annoying and spam the same moves with any character. if you have a radec spamming sniper shots you need to body him up and get him off the spot. radec is also god awful in the hot shots golf/fish stage because you can't get a clear open shot most of the time :(

in other news, i'm loving radec and sweet tooth. haven't been able to dig into the other characters too much yet. i've tried kratos a bit and he's ok. didn't like fat princess or sly too much :/

Shahed

I haven't loved a Final Fantasy since X.

Even if I liked XII and both XIII games, I'd agree with that line. They were good, but lacked that special factor I got from the previous games. It's one of the reasons I want Versus and Type-0 so much. They look really good, while I never got that feeling from XII and XIII in the previews

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
well in that regard anyone can be annoying and spam the same moves with any character. if you have a radec spamming sniper shots you need to body him up and get him off the spot. radec is also god awful in the hot shots golf/fish stage because you can't get a clear open shot most of the time :(

in other news, i'm loving radec and sweet tooth. haven't been able to dig into the other characters too much yet. i've tried kratos a bit and he's ok. didn't like fat princess or sly too much :/

That's all well and good, unless you are playing with two other people who don't seem to get it, and continually stymie you, so Radec is just building up AP unhindered, then unleashes a Level 2 that takes all of us out with one shot.

I can deal with a single Radec spammer, but in that match where I had 3 Radec spammers, it was unbelievably frustrating. In other matches, people are just all over the place, with no sense of battle strategy, so they just attack anyone that's near them, as opposed to attacked the person that's leading. Most people are just hitting buttons, grouping up in bunches (and also keeping you in that bunch of easy targets), and it's annoying more than fun. Especially when PaRappa does his kick flurry, which locks you in place, and doesn't let up when it's clear another player is about to unleash their super (you can usually hear the super wind up, or see the character start the super animation on most of the supers not including Sly's Level 1, which is devastatingly fast).

It's clear that there should be damage nerfing exactly like Smash Bros, it forces people to be creative and diverse with their attacks.

Shit, I just use Parappa's side O to build meter and then unleash hell.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
They should have a stage based off of Incredible Crisis. Or at least have Incredible Crisis mashed up with another stage. It would be hilarious to see Taneo come crashing into a stage on a wrecking ball, and the ball swings back and forth, adding a stage hazard to whatever it's mashed up with.

But Sony doesn't own Incredible Crisis, so, sadly, we probably won't get anything like that, but I loved that game.

There definitely needs to be something that encourages more creative use of skills. It's very easy to fall back on the one or two attacks that seem to be the most effective, but that's just not very fun to me as a player. I try and mix it up, even if it leaves me open for some kind of retaliation from other players. FFA is kind of getting annoying for me because of some of the people I get paired up with. I can't wait to get my hands on the other modes. I have a feeling 2v2 is where most of my love is going to go when I'm playing with other people. Outside of that, I'll probably stick to single player stuff.

EDIT 2: I think FFVII is the most overrated game of all time. I loved FFVII when it released (I was 16 at the time, and it was one of the first games I bought for my PlayStation), but I just don't find the characters fun or charming, outside of Tifa, Kait Sith, and Red XIII. Cloud was obnoxious, Barrett was a stereotype, and Aeris was bland. I LOVED FFIX, and think that, if there is any FF rep from the PlayStation era of FF, it should be Vivi. I can't think of anyone that didn't love Vivi, or even Princess Garrett or Zidane. Vivi could have a really fun combat style as well, what with being a black mage and all. I also loved FFXII and even XIII. I think Balthier, Fran, Basche, or Ashe would be great choices as well. Lightning is cool with me.

I guess I'm one of those FF fans that didn't get overly butthurt when FFXIII went multi-platform, but then again, FFXIII wasn't the reason why I bought a PS3. I wouldn't shed a tear if Cloud, Sephiroth, or any of the FF clan NEVER touched PBR. As far as FF's go, it really isn't that great story wise, but I loved the music and the battle system. It was certainly an amazing, genre defining title at the time, but I think it's been bested, in particular by FFIX. I wasn't a huge fan of X, but that's because I don't like Tidus. Auron was cool as shit though, and Jecht is way cooler than his bitch son. /FF talk.

Tuesday can't get here soon enough...

Going to sleep now. I expect to see a glorious new thread when I wake up. I'm counting on you guys ;).

To those who want spamming=reduced ap, I guess that would be ok but it really wouldn't change how people play Radec for example. They allways could just change it up to sniper->sticky granade launcher->sniper and it would basically be the same heh. Spamming characters are predictable anyway.

Kurod

Banned
radec is also god awful in the hot shots golf/fish stage because you can't get a clear open shot most of the time :(

He's not so bad in sandover village or dreamscape. I've gotten plenty of wins with him on these stages. You just gotta assess your position and use the moves best suited for the situation. Radec's diagonal laser is great because it passes through platforms and sets up people caught in them for a nice aerial shotgun blast to the face. Bounce grenades work well when on top of a platform to annoy the targets below. His invisible grenade move also doubles as a means to return to the stage if someone knocks you off.

Loudninja

Going to sleep now. I expect to see a glorious new thread when I wake up. I'm counting on you guys ;).

To those who want spamming=reduced ap, I guess that would be ok but it really wouldn't change how people play Radec for example. They allways could just change it up to sniper->sticky granade launcher->sniper and it would basically be the same heh. Spamming characters are predictable anyway.
I am going by my time,so in like 16 hours :p

SgtCobra

Ah did you play the game already? How was it? Spill the beans man, what disappointed you?

Sorry but.. You shouldn't draw conclusions so soon, we have only just seen one gameplay video

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm not picking sides in this Jen/Kat BS.

I love them both, and will support them both. So, from this day forth, I will refer to them as "Kate."

I want Kat and Jen Tate in this game.

Kate

Shahed

In all seriousness, what started the Kat movement? I mean we all know where the Jen Tate stuff comes from, but what about Kat?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
FF VII did have amazing music, some of the most memorable I've ever heard in a video game. In a perfect world, we'd get Cloud, or maybe Sephiroth. Or both?! I mean, I would be SO HAPPY if we got Cloud, but his inclusion doesn't make sense currently over Lightning. I just can't see Square Enix saying "You know, fans really want an older FF character over what we're currently pushing..", you know? As a huge fan of the older FF games, I'd love to see someone from an older game - I just can't see Square agreeing with the fans.

This is Sir Daniel all over again. Why is everyone wanting to put in a Legend of Dragoon character in that only had 1 game in the franchise on the PSX, over a Wild Arms character which is a franchise that has 7 games with the latest one being released in 2008. Don't they own a little more to the fans that have followed the franchise so long and paying for the 7 games in the series?

Personally I think Wild Arms is the better game, and it seems like history says most people agree with me, and generally reviewed better to boot sans a review or two that loved LoD, but here I am seeing a Legend of Dragoon request on every single damn page while no one says anything about Wild Arms.

SmithnCo

Jake

Dog's_Life_Jake.jpg

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
In all seriousness, what started the Kat movement? I mean we all know where the Jen Tate stuff comes from, but what about Kat?

I think people genuinely want her in. At least on these boards she and Wander sit at the top of popularity for first party, and she would fill a role in both gameplay and style that Wander wouldn't have filled.

So if we are rushing to a new thread, might as well do it with support for Kat.

J-Tier

I think people genuinely want her in. At least on these boards she and Wander sit at the top of popularity for first party, and she would fill a role in both gameplay and style that Wander wouldn't have filled.

So if we are rushing to a new thread, might as well do it with support for Kat.

This. At least this is the case for me.

KAT.

Jen Tate on the other hand is just us having fun. Well, the majority of us anyways.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
They should have a stage based off of Incredible Crisis. Or at least have Incredible Crisis mashed up with another stage. It would be hilarious to see Taneo come crashing into a stage on a wrecking ball, and the ball swings back and forth, adding a stage hazard to whatever it's mashed up with.

But Sony doesn't own Incredible Crisis, so, sadly, we probably won't get anything like that, but I loved that game.

I think it kind of sucks that in the end the stages all were based off franchises that already have a character to represent them. I was hoping that stages could have been one of the ways they represented the non-fighting guys. Even for the racing stage they ended up using a Twisted Metal theme when Sony has so many great racing franchises to pick from.

Yeah they still have the crossovers to do, but they already have Hydra and a Killzone mech as invaders too, so there's reason to worry that there will be more of that.

At least they look great even though it doesn't represent the franchises I want it to.

libregkd

I think it kind of sucks that in the end the stages all were based off franchises that already have a character to represent them. I was hoping that stages could have been one of the ways they represented the non-fighting guys.
So far anyway. I mean I know the leak isn't 100% accurate as to what is going to be in the final game. But you do have things like the Resistance and Loco Roco stages; both franchises that probably will not get a fighting rep in the game.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
So far anyway. I mean I know the leak isn't 100% accurate as to what is going to be in the final game. But you do have things like the Resistance and Loco Roco stages; both franchises that probably will not get a fighting rep in the game.

I know, I just don't like the ratio of stages like those to stages like the twisted metal stage. Subjective, I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom