• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation acquires Haven, the new studio led by Jade Raymond

GHG

Gold Member
Games like Destiny, Gran Turismo, MLB, Wipeout Omega Collection, Dreams or Sackboy are single player walking simulators too?

Returnal and Demon's souls too. Just move the analogue stick gently and they're all walking simulators. Gaming can be anything to anyone, that's why we all love it.

The Land Of Make Believe Wow GIF

Games like Destiny, Gran Turismo, MLB, Wipeout Omega Collection, Dreams or Sackboy are single player walking simulators too? lol
You misread me, i was not saying that Sony was only making walkings simulator SP games, a lot of other fans from an other console where and are saying that.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Cool even more studios making even more games that are made with several years of support in mind... We certainly do not have enough of those, no...

EDMIX

Cool even more studios making even more games that are made with several years of support in mind... We certainly do not have enough of those, no...

I can't fault them.

They see something here that we don't, to buy a team like this tells me what ever they saw behind closed doors must be pretty fucking good. They know some flops will happen and I think it makes sense to have a good amount. As someone that started several business, some failed, some did well...you need to let go if shit will fail, expect that shit to fail and learn and move on. So I believe Sony is factoring for some to slip thru the cracks and use that data to help them, but to be honest, thats no different then even single player games.

Some flop, some do well. Those that do well get sequels and teams get trusted with new IPs, thats that do bad get shelved etc.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I can't fault them.

They see something here that we don't, to buy a team like this tells me what ever they saw behind closed doors must be pretty fucking good. They know some flops will happen and I think it makes sense to have a good amount. As someone that started several business, some failed, some did well...you need to let go if shit will fail, expect that shit to fail and learn and move on. So I believe Sony is factoring for some to slip thru the cracks and use that data to help them, but to be honest, thats no different then even single player games.

Some flop, some do well. Those that do well get sequels and teams get trusted with new IPs, thats that do bad get shelved etc.
Oh I do no blaime anyone but us gamers for this. Most of us seem to want these kind of games, so naturally that' where the focus. I swear that down the line we're going to have single game consoles if this goes on. Meaning, by PS Destiny 3 and then play that game until death does you appart.

I'm just sad a hell to see more and more games becoming MMO lites. Meaning, without the subscription but with the MTX.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It’s fair and all but I really do have them rather work on new games instead.

Wouldn't you rather they make one game that holds your interest for 1,000+ hours for $70 dollars, than 10 games that hold your interest for 20 hours at $70 dollars a pop? That feels so anti consumer in todays era.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Wouldn't you rather they make one game that holds your interest for 1,000+ hours for $70 dollars, than 10 games that hold your interest for 20 hours at $70 dollars a pop? That feels so anti consumer in todays era.
Game length doesn’t determine the price I am willing to pay for a game. When I go to the cinema I pay at least 10 bucks for the ticket and that movie usually is 2 hours of entertainment. Why shouldn’t a 20 hours or less game not be worth 70 bucks then? I don’t get it.

Now maybe a lot of it has been out of her control, but in recent years all the news I ever hear about regarding Jade Raymond are "Jade Raymond joins/founds _____ studio with ____ publisher", and after either little or nothing to show a few years later, "Jade Raymond leaves ____ studio, founds _____ studio with ____ publisher" and the cycle repeats. Just she just picked doomed projects, or is she part of what dooms them?

Let me remind you since 2010 from the outside looking in:
-2010, moved to Toronto to build a new studio for Ubisoft. They made Splinter Cell Blacklist, which came out in 2013. It underperformed, and became the last Splinter Cell release to date.
-2015, joined EA and took charge of Visceral games to make a Star Wars game with Hennig AND an original IP. Both got canned. Visceral is dead.
-2015, at the same time, also founded Motive, which appears to be a support studio, followed by Star Wars Squadrons. It wasn't a hit, and came and went without much fanfare.
-2018, left Motive, and in 2019, announced that she'd join Google to be their head at Stadia games and create exclusive content. Doesn't seem like anything came out of this endeavor. Stadia is pretty much dead.
-2021, founds Haven to create brand new IP for Playstation. Hmm wonder how this is gonna go.

EDIT:
straight from her Wiki page, you can't make this shit up.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Now maybe a lot of it has been out of her control, but in recent years all the news I ever hear about regarding Jade Raymond are "Jade Raymond joins/founds _____ studio with ____ publisher", and after either little or nothing to show a few years later, "Jade Raymond leaves ____ studio, founds _____ studio with ____ publisher" and the cycle repeats. Just she just picked doomed projects, or is she part of what dooms them?

-2010, moved to Toronto to build a new studio for Ubisoft. They made Splinter Cell Blacklist, which came out in 2013. It underperformed, and became the last Splinter Cell release to date.
-2015, joined EA and took charge of Visceral games to make a Star Wars game with Hennig AND an original IP. Both got canned. Visceral is dead.
-2015, at the same time, also founded Motive, which appears to be a support studio, followed by Star Wars Squadrons. It wasn't a hit, and came and went without much fanfare.
-2018, left Motive, and in 2019, announced that she'd join Google to be their head at Stadia games and create exclusive content. Doesn't seem like anything came out of this endeavor. Stadia is pretty much dead.
-2021, founds Haven to create brand new IP for Playstation. Hmm wonder how this is gonna go.

EDIT:
I read where she was there to hand out slips when everyone got cut from EA. Like she’s there to “not get fired” when they fail at their task.

I don’t even know why I care. I played AC back when it came out. I saw her face a lot especially on G4. There’s no sexism statement here cause all of this is from just keeping up with the industry.

I don’t get why she left Google. A Vice President role. Those jobs aren’t just handed to anyone and that’s a huge pay check every year. Another thing I don’t get is why Sony feels like she’s made another million dollar franchise. Why buy a studio just because she farts in it? Not trying to be rude with that statement.

I get it. She’s an industry veteran with a contact list that would belittle our understanding of the word “insider”. To me, they shut down the creative assembly in Japan to raise up a brand new developing house because she put it together?

That’s bat sh*t crazy to me, but what do I know? I know I don’t like paying for a lot of games published by Ubisoft or EA anymore. Assassin’s Creed was a whole new ball game with AC2 and so forth. I don’t get how she’s magically made the best studio on the planet overnight.

These things shouldn’t bug me, but I have more questions than I thought I would have. It’s not wrong to question why they’re doing this. Is she going to be the only person left when she has to fire everyone else due to a bad project?

I don’t get why she left Google. A Vice President role. Those jobs aren’t just handed to anyone and that’s a huge pay check every year. Another thing I don’t get is why Sony feels like she’s made another million dollar franchise. Why buy a studio just because she farts in it? Not trying to be rude with that statement.

I'm pretty sure she didn't leave. Google just straight up did what they always do - fail quickly.

Stadia was a disaster so they did not have the conviction to fund AAA studio development.

The reason Sony wants her is quite clear - she has a HUGE network in the industry, can recruit TOP talent, and that is essential for a big studio.

EDIT:
[/URL]
So now Ubisoft, EA and Google are examples to follow in this business? Stadia failing has nothing to do with her. Splinter Cell Blacklist is a game around 85% on metacritic and the IP was going down for years. The game is good. The fact it underperformed is nothing to do with its quality.
The fact the Star Wars game never came out is not her fault as well.

You also mentioned Hennig. Since she left Naughty Dog she's yet to do anything noteworthy. She created Uncharted when she was with Sony. Just saying.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'm pretty sure she didn't leave. Google just straight up did what they always do - fail quickly.

Stadia was a disaster so they did not have the conviction to fund AAA studio development.

The reason Sony wants her is quite clear - she has a HUGE network in the industry, can recruit TOP talent, and that is essential for a big studio.
Very good points. She probably has a ton of unknown talents that aren’t shared. The general public just sees her name and they’re left connecting the dots.

In a lot of states, the impact video game developers have on that state’s appeal is zero (nothing), so there’s no real way to figure a lot of this stuff out.

So now Ubisoft, EA and Google are examples to follow in this business? Stadia failing has nothing to do with her. Splinter Cell Blacklist is a game around 85% on metacritic and the IP was going down for years. The game is good. The fact it underperformed is nothing to do with its quality.
The fact the Star Wars game never came out is not her fault as well.

You also mentioned Hennig. Since she left Naughty Dog she's yet to do anything noteworthy. She created Uncharted when she was with Sony. Just saying.
Sorry, don't get your first sentence. From a gaming enthusiast pov, yeah Ubisoft, EA, and Google are horrible soulless corporations, but from a business point of view? How many are bigger? And if they're not to be followed, why did she join them?

She's a producer. That's the kind of job that oversees and stands above all creative talent. A successful producer gets shit out on time and to great success, and they can replicate that success.
You know what I hate about producers? They always get all the credit, and none of the blame. I work in an industry where I see it happen in front of me. And I know producers can be great at self promotion, that's their job. It's why they keep rising even when a lot of creatives take the fall in their wake. Now I'm not saying it's her fault and no one else's a lot of these projects failed, I'm saying you are not an insider and neither am I so, we cannot say for sure how much of the blame falls on her. All I got to go on is her track record. Plus, I'm also saying, she might not be at fault for a lot of these things, but she seems to pick a lot of projects that don't end up in a good place.

But I already considered all this, hence:
Dunno why you bring up Hennig, I have no love for her either outside the Uncharted games and fail to see what this has to do with Jade Raymond. Only mentioned her in ref to the game they worked on together.

Last edited:
I dont get it, first it was: Sony only makes walking simulator semi "open" world (play it once and done) singleplayer games. They lagging behind on multiplayer games big time.

And now they gonna make more multiplayer player games and now you are all bitching about it? Make up your minds...
I think people wanted more multiplayer games from Sony, not live service/GAAS games which are generally predatory and just not so great.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I think people wanted more multiplayer games from Sony, not live service/GAAS games which are generally predatory and just not so great.

The market has spoken. Old fashioned multiplayer (non GAAS) aren't competitive anymore. Almost no one prefers a game that doesn't grow as you play it.

The market has spoken. Old fashioned multiplayer (non GAAS) aren't competitive anymore. Almost no one prefers a game that doesn't grow as you play it.
That’s probably mostly true, but do most of these live service games even really succeed like a Fortnite or Apex Legends for such a huge push for them? Seems like less than half of the live service games do really well. Paid, complete multiplayer games can grow as well. I also think GAAS makes companies nonchalant and lazy as well because instead of giving us new games and sequels, they’ll just keep milking the same tired old outdated games for years and years. Unfortunately, I’m probably in the minority though.

Last edited:

Aenima

Producer, not creator. Something very different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassin's_Creed

In 2004, she started working for Ubisoft Montreal, where she led the creation of the first Assassin's Creed game. Raymond went on to become executive producer on Assassin's Creed II, and was executive producer of new IP at Ubisoft Montreal, which included Watch Dogs and The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot.

A game this size is never create by one individual.

Patrice was the Director, Jade the Producer, Corey the writter. Among many others. But when it comes to the original creators of the series, these 3 are mentioned as the creators of the original game.

Last edited:
That’s probably mostly true, but do most of these live service games even really succeed like a Fortnite or Apex Legends for such a huge push for them? Seems like less than half of the live service games do really well. Paid, complete multiplayer games can grow as well. I also think GAAS makes companies nonchalant and lazy as well because instead of giving us new games and sequels, they’ll just keep milking the same tired old outdated games for years and years. Unfortunately, I’m probably in the minority though.

How is this fair? I mean, couldn't it be said that even in the traditional multiplayer marketspace of days past, only a few games were exceedingly popular and had sustained userbases? I would suggest that the same underlying market dynamics are at work and both follow a Power-Law distribution (ie. few games are exceedingly popular and most games drastically trail off in userbase). The only difference is with GAAS you get the additional revenue stream which (hopefully) incentivizes the developer to continue developing the property well.

Last edited:

Patrice was the Director, Jade the Producer, Corey the writter. Among many others. But when it comes to the original creators of the series, these 3 are mentioned as the creators of the original game.

I see, I stand corrected. Just watched a interview with her and she seems actually involved in the development process and started out as a programmer in the industry.
So she actually knows her stuff, which is cool and not just a pretty face for marketing.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
How is this fair? I mean, couldn't it be said that even in the traditional multiplayer marketspace of days past, only a few games were exceedingly popular and had sustained userbases? I would suggest that the same underlying market dynamics are at work and both follow a Power-Law distribution (ie. few games are exceedingly popular and most games drastically trail off in userbase). The only difference is with GAAS you get the additional revenue stream which (hopefully) incentivizes the developer to continue developing the property well.

It would be interesting to see how many multiplayer games meet or slightly exceed their budget in terms of profits.

What are the Bloodborne of multiplayer successes?

Pelta88

EDIT:

So google dropped Stadia, ok fine.

But EA being EA is somehow Jade's fault?

Pzib.gif

Last edited:
Did she make anything notable in the last 10-15 years past AC, AC2?

Serious question.
Raymond has a reputation of being a great producer, but producers don't really make games. Producers have a hand in keeping a game within budget, maybe managing outsourced work, making sure the game stays on schedule and hits its release window.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Raymond has a reputation of being a great producer, but producers don't really make games. Producers have a hand in keeping a game within budget, maybe managing outsourced work, making sure the game stays on schedule and hits its release window.
Producers have been known to come up with design ideas as well alongside designers. I've know several who have.

ManaByte

Patrice was the creator of Assassin's Creed. Credit was thrown on Jade when UbiSoft realized her face would get more attention on the game than a scruffy French Canadian guy. Patrice was the one who created the game as an evolution from the 6th gen Prince of Persia: Sands of Time he directed at UbiSoft.

The whole thing was a huge controversy back when it happened, but it was the start of the whole identity politics that has consumed the gaming industry over the last fifteen years and as such the controversy of Patrice being shoved to the back of the room to push Jade into the spotlight has been swept under the rug like a Nintendo QA employee moonlighting as a hooker.

History is written by the victors so now she's labeled a creator of Assassin's Creed and given huge payouts from companies like EA, Google, and Sony while the real creator of the franchise languishes in indie development hell.

Jade Raymond has been more relevant than Shiguru Miyamoto for the last 30 years. Put some respect on her name.

I think Miyamoto is the single most overrated person in gaming, and your notion is still a joke. If it had been born Jason Raymond, it wouldn't even have that job. Some pervert at Ubi Soft literally gave her that position because she looked like a girl from a Colgate commercial. She has no game development talent or skills. She can't program. She's not an artist. She's not a game designer. She isn't responsible for anything significant (the first decent Assassin's Creed game was 2, you know, the one made AFTER SHE LEFT). Her entire so called career consists of failing upwards. Hasn't managed to associate herself with a single good game. Let's make her queen of the world!

%5B17691%5DOpticWhiteBaseDisplayHeader_5_Rev_6_30.jpg

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I think Miyamoto is the single most overrated person in gaming, and your notion is still a joke. If it had been born Jason Raymond, it wouldn't even have that job. Some pervert at Ubi Soft literally gave her that position because she looked like a girl from a Colgate commercial. She has no game development talent or skills. She can't program. She's not an artist. She's not a game designer. She isn't responsible for anything significant (the first decent Assassin's Creed game was 2, you know, the one made AFTER SHE LEFT). Her entire so called career consists of failing upwards. Hasn't managed to associate herself with a single good game. Let's make her queen of the world!

%5B17691%5DOpticWhiteBaseDisplayHeader_5_Rev_6_30.jpg

Jade Raymond threads go 16+ pages.

Shiguru Miyamoto threads don't get made.

Nothing more needs to be said.

ManaByte

Jade Raymond threads go 16+ pages.

Shiguru Miyamoto threads don't get made.

Nothing more needs to be said.

Jade Raymond threads go for 16+ due to white knights trying to defend her honor.

Miyamoto threads don't get made because he's the god of gaming and doesn't need white knights.

I, too, think that in certain circles Miyamoto is overrated, and the cult of personality around him is kind of weird.

Still, putting Jade Raymond anywhere near the same conversation as Miyamoto is at best laughable.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Jade Raymond threads go for 16+ due to white knights trying to defend her honor.

Miyamoto threads don't get made because he's the god of gaming and doesn't need white knights.

Fake News.

True artists know how to draw the emotions from the people. Jade Raymond is in a class above.

Haters keep hating.

Top Bottom