• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation acquires Haven, the new studio led by Jade Raymond

reksveks

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
If she will cancel the PC porting BS i'm all for it.

Haven’s game is already coming to PC and PS5

According to Raymond, following the pitch,“they finally asked us to do two, or even three [games], but we decided to focus on a first title to start.”

The game in question is said to offer a “persistent and evolving online environment accessible by a PC or a PlayStation console” – meaning that the game will only be exclusive to PlayStation on consoles.

1a6.png

Banned

is she tho, when did Splinter Cell start to lose traction? the exact moment it was dumbed down with Conviction. blacklist tried to make it less dumbed down again but the IP lost traction by then and also the game was not that great as the balancing in terms difficulty was a complete mess, you either had a game that's a walk in the park, or a game that is annoying to play... nothing in-between

clarky

Gold Member
is she tho, when did Splinter Cell start to lose traction? the exact moment it was dumbed down with Conviction. blacklist tried to make it less dumbed down again but the IP lost traction by then and also the game was not that great as the balancing in terms difficulty was a complete mess, you either had a game that's a walk in the park, or a game that is annoying to play... nothing in-between
Yeah agree on the above.

For me at least shes done absolutely nothing that comes remotely close to Sonys best first party output.

Id like to be wrong but hard to get excited about this one. Anyone know what they paid?

It lost traction after double agent. It was a dying IP whether it was dumbed down or not

reksveks

Just posting the possibility she might be right? Would be interesting to plot Splinter Cell sales numbers vs Assassin Creed.

It might be that they got saw Assassin Creed numbers and unrealistic expectations kicked in.

Dolodolo

They are making the same amount of single player games or more. They’ve just expanded their teams and bought new ones for GAAS titles. Best of both worlds.
No. Nobody needs another bunch of online gaas service games
Do you understand that literally every day more and more new projects of this type are being created?
Ubisoft is literally a company that's on shit right now, because in their stupid head the idea of making all their projects services did not seem moronic

For some reason, Sony decided that instead of increasing the focus on single blockbusters, they should make another dozen faps, 90% of which will be crap that people don't need

There are literally a few projects in the industry that have achieved success while being in this genre.

Fortnite

Warzone

Apex

Roblox

Maybe I forgot one or two more games.

It's literally rubbish direction, but I'm burning loads of money

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
is she tho, when did Splinter Cell start to lose traction? the exact moment it was dumbed down with Conviction.

Nah, it lost traction before then. The reason why Ubisoft changed the formula with Conviction is because they weren't happy with the trajectory of Splinter Cell --> Pandora Tomorrow --> Chaos Theory --> Double Agent.

"The series opened up with commercial success. It sold about 6 million copies, but the franchise never reached the high mark again."

Reading this just makes me sad. No where do they talk about pushing gameplay innovation. Just cloud and services. No talk of physics, AI, level design thats been stagnant since 2005. Just GaaS, GaaS, GaaS. I would expect this from Ubisoft and Activision trash, but not Sony.
Because that's not what the article is about?
That's literally the last part:

By the time our interview came to an end, we'd barely mentioned the game that Haven is actually building. We'd spent most of our time talking R&D and cloud and handling hybrid working, and how those things fit together.

But then perhaps the project itself isn't the most interesting thing about Haven right now; it's more about how it's being made, and what the team is developing alongside it. After all, it's this that has caught the attention of some of the more technically minded people within the PlayStation organisation.

There's clearly more to Haven than meets the eye.

The entire premise of the article isn't what you're mentioning...

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
when it’s a new studio filled with industry talent.
So was 343i. Means nothing really.

I am going by their statements and all they seem to care about is the cloud. Fuck that. Fuck GaaS. We used to dismiss games if they ever mentioned any of the GaaS terms like Live services and cloud. Why should this game be treated differently? Has there been a good GaaS game since this trend started 10 years ago with Destiny?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

I am going by their statements and all they seem to care about is the cloud. Fuck that. Fuck GaaS. We used to dismiss games if they ever mentioned any of the GaaS terms like Live services and cloud. Why should this game be treated differently? Has there been a good GaaS game since this trend started 10 years ago with Destiny?

Companies are allowed to make products you're personally not interested in.

I'm sure there were motorbike enthusiasts who were pissed when Honda started making cars.

Last edited:

I consider destiny a good GaaS title.

Let’s just see what they offer before casting judgment

I dont get it, first it was: Sony only makes walking simulator semi "open" world (play it once and done) singleplayer games. They lagging behind on multiplayer games big time.

And now they gonna make more multiplayer player games and now you are all bitching about it? Make up your minds...

Lognor

Banned
I know she's hot. Now she has the power and tools of SIE behind her. Definitely has the experience and been involved with some pretty big games.

[/URL][/URL]

And she's hot.
I'm not very impressed with the games she has been involved in really. She was involved in one good Assassin's Creed game and a few forgettable Ubisoft games. I really don't know how she got such a good reputation with her track record. Maybe because she is hot?

I dont get it, first it was: Sony only makes walking simulator semi "open" world (play it once and done) singleplayer games. They lagging behind on multiplayer games big time.

And now they gonna make more multiplayer player games and now you are all bitching about it? Make up your minds...
Yeah, agreed. Sony should do some multiplayer stuff. Not only single player content. I heard tlou multiplayer was good and I had fun with Uncharted multiplayer back in the day. Sony's issue is that most of the multiplayer stuff they've done has been pretty poor or had play to win elements that turned people off. If they can hire some good people and turn out better quality multiplayer content I think it's a great thing.

Last edited:

They'll give you the excuse that it's different people bitching but we all know it's the same people.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

Jup funny to see that. Might be scared since Xbox hasn't much big shooters anymore. CoD will stay multi, Halo Infinite is...lol...other then that not much else. With Firesprite, Firewalk, Deviation Games, Haven and Bungie...Sony can have some big fps/multiplayer/GaaS in the future.

Who knows what Insomniac is cooking.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
They'll give you the excuse that it's different people bitching but we all know it's the same people.

It's not.

I was one of those "Aren't we all sick of the sad dad walking sims from PlayStation?" and now I think Jim Ryan and Herman Hulst are the best leadership PlayStation has ever had.

People just want more games that appeal to their tastes.

Last edited:

VALCON 82

saw article (can't put URL up for some reason) that Mark Cerny is helping Haven Studios..

KNACK Battle Royale incoming fellas!!!!

Dolodolo

It's not.

I was one of those "Aren't we all sick of the sad dad walking sims from PlayStation?" and now I think Jim Ryan and Herman Hulst are the best leadership PlayStation has ever had.

People just want more games that appeal to their tastes.

People just don't want a ton of online crap from a company that made a name for itself on single projects that doesn't understand how to make a properly functioning service game. Literally the entire industry does not understand, but is chasing this money, through microtransactions. As a result, we have literally a few successful examples. But, let's pretend that everything is fine, and Sony does not flush all this money down the toilet, instead of focusing on new single IPs, instead of an endless pipeline of sequels :)

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
People just don't want a ton of online crap from a company that made a name for itself on single projects that doesn't understand how to make a properly functioning service game. Literally the entire industry does not understand, but is chasing this money, through microtransactions. As a result, we have literally a few successful examples. But, let's pretend that everything is fine, and Sony does not flush all this money down the toilet, instead of focusing on new single IPs, instead of an endless pipeline of sequels :)

Literally impossible to study the market over the last 5 years and think anyone could have a chance over the next 10 years by ignoring how dominant GAAS games have become.

PlayStation could get away with releasing two one and done single player games a year in the past because...Nintendo goes after a different market, and XBox was a minor league club for so long.

We're in a completely different era now. GAAS has become the Apex Predator and saying XBox is a major player is an understatement. The old way was never going to work.

And trust me, the industry understands GAAS now. Games greenlit post 2018 are going to look mighty different than games greenlit before 2018. They already do.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
The ‘cloud/hybrid working’ initiatives could help the other teams churn there games out even faster. It’s good to see someone is working on it because it’s not sustainable expecting everyone to work in the office anymore.
The thing I dislike about anything involving the cloud is that most of the games if not all will probably be always online

Lognor

Banned
Jup funny to see that. Might be scared since Xbox hasn't much big shooters anymore. CoD will stay multi, Halo Infinite is...lol...other then that not much else. With Firesprite, Firewalk, Deviation Games, Haven and Bungie...Sony can have some big fps/multiplayer/GaaS in the future.

Who knows what Insomniac is cooking.
Lol you think halo infinite is trash and Sony will destroy it? That's laughable. What was the last fps Sony had on the same level as halo? Oh that's right. They've NEVER had one. What was that halo killer again?

Last edited:

yurinka

Games like Destiny, Gran Turismo, MLB, Wipeout Omega Collection, Dreams or Sackboy are single player walking simulators too? lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom