• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5: Which Design will Sony choose for its PS5?

And you, what type of design would you like the most for the PlayStation 5?

• Classic, horizontal design with the possibility of putting the console in a vertical position.

Votes: 156 69.0%
  • Cube shaped

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • At heights (Chimney Type) like the MAC PRO 2013 or the Xbox Series X.

Votes: 15 6.6%
  • I don't care about Design, it could look like a trout, I would take it anyway ...

Votes: 44 19.5%

• Total voters
The technical characteristics of the future PlayStation 5 from Sony are still obscure on some points. We also wonder what will be its aesthetic lines. We were used to rather sober designs and the brand's famous “Black Monolith” but the recent revelation of the Design of the next DualSense seems to herald a sharp turn on all points. As you may have noticed, the PS5 philosophy will focus onoptimization. Where we expected a console on an architecture close to the PC world, crammed with TéraFlops, it would seem that this fifth model of PlayStation is, as its creator, Mark Cerny presents, a small revolution. The same goes for its controller from a purely aesthetic point of view. Not only the DualSense is no longer a DualShock but its look in two white / black colors and its general design contrast completely with the old models which had hardly evolved so far.

The Design of the Dualsense is official and it will not go very well with that of other Sony consoles. We can therefore easily imagine that the lines of the future PS5 will probably recall those of this new controller. But before thinking of a Design, it is the technical sheet of the PlayStation 5 that we will have to watch. It is its ventilation system which can give us some information on its final look, except for the moment, we do not know much about this ventilation system. We know that the PS5 will have a GPU and a CPU to variable frequencies thanks to technologyAMD SmartShift. Bloomberg (who are quite well informed in general) had brought up the information that the ventilation system of the PlayStation 5 was abnormally expensive. We are not talking here about Water Cooling but about a more advanced system than normal.

Two solutions are therefore available to us. The first is to keep the radiator above the AMD chip but to move the fan. We will then be on a Design that we know well on the vast majority of home consoles. Type design Horizontal “VCR” with a big motherboard. The second possibility is to divide the motherboard into stages and align the APU, the radiator and the fan in a single direct cooling flow. We are here on a type design “Chimney” Vertical which has already proven itself in IT with Apple MAC PRO in 2013. Microsoft were largely inspired by this design on the Xbox X Series by opting for a square base instead of a circular base (MAC PRO).

PlayStation 5: A “classic” Horizontal Design?

Although Sony seems to want to focus its communication on the fact that the SP5 is a revolution, as much by its philosophy, its unusual material architecture and the design of the DualSense, it is possible that the Japanese brand remains “more classic” on the final design of its console. In this case, the machine is not very high but offers the advantage of being able to adapt to many TV furniture. The remote fan will cool both the APU chip and its SSD hard drive. This configuration is not the most natural to evacuate the heat (which goes to the top of the machine), it does however offer an infinity of Design possibilities and it is not because the console will opt for this more classic architecture than 'it will inevitably be little innovative in its lines.

Sony has always accustomed us to rather sober Designs, often very simple in their forms and it is clearly a good thing because they manage to pass the years without getting a nasty hang of it too quickly. It is therefore better to avoid the too complicated “Tunning” aspect which will age badly. The PlayStation 5 should, however, retain a certain symmetry to allow it to be positioned either horizontally or vertically. It's kind of the trademark of PlayStation since the PS2.

8e317ef7-design-ps5-001-1140x760.jpg

430ca7ea-design-ps5-002-1140x760.jpg

How about a Cube-shaped PS5?

The Nintendo Game Cube had known how to mark the spirit in its time. No need to wonder if we will place the console horizontally or vertically with a cube ! But this rather compact Design is not so simple as it seems to achieve. Although it offers the possibility of having a hot air extraction from the top, it is necessary to manage to store everything in a rather compact block. So we forget in this case the optical drive Bluray 4K horizontally if you don't want it to be a plug for good heat dissipation. The comparison with the Game Cube will be inevitable… Not necessarily the right choice if Sony wants to “Revolutionize” the world of game consoles. But hey, we still offer you a visual to illustrate this idea!

db9ab80f-design-ps5-003-1140x760.jpg

A PlayStation 5 on tour?

As we told you above, this configuration offers the advantage of offering a more natural exhaust of hot air, like a chimney flue. In this case, all the elements are aligned in a column. The reader Bluray 4K on the other hand is vertical to let the flow of hot air squeeze in without obstructions. But will Sony opt for this choice? Indeed, hordes of gamers will shout at plagiarism saying that Sony has only copied the Xbox X Series. However, it must be remembered that the Designers at Sony have been working on this PS5 for several years, Sony has made hundreds of prototypes and its Design is already well established for quite some time, well before the presentation of the X Series during Game Awards… Industrial leaks may have pushed Microsoft to announce the X Series urgently to style Sony on this point. Anyway, Apple was the first on this concept, Microsoft and Sony would be strongly inspired in this case if the Japanese firm decided to choose this architecture. The disadvantage of this type of configuration is its difficulty in entering a conventional piece of furniture. The console then becomes a “connected speaker” that will proudly sit next to your TV.

This Design being in a logic of fireplace, the aesthetic possibilities are more limited. We have seen that Apple had chosen a circular base, Microsoft a square base ... We can imagine a triangular base (We have already proposed a trailer on this idea), a base in pentagon, in hexagon but we will quickly turn in a loop…

Sony can however make this choice without however being too close to the X Series. The two black and white colors of the DualSense will decide, coupled with a line of bluish LEDs. Here is an idea that goes in this direction:

bc30f54c-design-ps5-008-1140x760.jpg

2af9c9a7-design-ps5-004-1140x760.jpg

e7a472c0-design-ps5-007-1140x760.jpg

e0ff7a20-design-ps5-005-1140x760.jpg

ff9fd3b0-design-ps5-006-1140x760.jpg

If Sony chooses to maintain the launch date of its PS5 for the month of November 2020 (Despite the Coronavirus crisis), we do not have much time to wait before being fixed on the Final Design of the PlayStation 5. The DualSense has already laid some foundations, but the number of possibilities is far too great to be able to truly anticipate the question of Design. If we put aside the idea of the Cube, two paths emerge: A “classic” console with two positions (vertical / horizontal) or on the contrary chimney architecture like Apple's MAC PRO. In any case, the future PS5 should be silent and efficient. As for aesthetics, it will not be unanimous because as we say: Tastes and colors…

Media:

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
don't really care and not sure what they'll do.

if the dev kit is anything to go by ( i know it doesn't represent the final version) then the console will need lot of airflow so it's gonna be a thick console no doubt.

Last edited:
Been reading the same thread concept on different places on the same topic

Theres only one answer: Sony will choose whatever is more convenient for them to fit in all the hardware

They won't care how good or ugly it looks. Just whatever is more convenient for them
So I will be getting all the parts in a box to put together myself? Yey

So far every single mockup was made based on the gamepad. Did it occur to anyone that maybe the console would just be plain white, simple and minimalistic. Everybody is going overboard with examples because they are incorporating everything that the gamepad has into a console as well. SONy always had pretty sleek and minimalistic designs, they arent making Alienware consoles just because the gamepad has 3 color tones.

Evrey single mock up of the PS5 has been ugly asf.

The controller looks like it was designed carefully and intentional in its design, wheres these console mock ups look disjointed and messy and out of place sitting next to the DS5.

Outside of color, Sony has never made their console resemble the aesthetics of the controller or visa versa. I dont expect that to change now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
It's going to be horizontal, but it would be very funny if it will be a tower shape. Can't wait for the flip flopping then

jts

...hate me...
I don’t know I just hope for a complete departure from the PS4 design. Really disliked that huge slab with the inconvenient slanted angles.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
People forget you need a TV to play these consoles, stick the console inside the TV and sell that.

sublimit

Banned
Design is also a process of engineering, not just picking a box shape. Whatever Sony is doing, it should be locked by now.
Of course,i meant that they should buy that design IF it could work out for them in terms of engineering.

Not knocking the concet creators here but every single design this far has either ripped design straight off the Dualsense or a mish mash of the devkit and dual sense.

NOT ONE SINGLE DESIGN TAKES INTO ACCOUNT THERMAL EFFECIENCY.

It's always a case of form and then function.

Ladies and gents the PS5 is supposedly running thr GPU and CPU at ridiculous clocks. How in gods green earth do any of the above designs make sense with regards to keeping these high performance components cool ?

Look at Series X. It's a tower and it looks a design that favours function over form.

Design something that firstly takes care of the heat efficiently and then slap the fancy box over that. You dont design the box first and then throw on the vents.

Best guess to get to the PS5 final design is to check any leaked patents regarding the cooling methods proposed for PS5.

As for my guess? I reckon its going to be similar to the Seris X in that it will be a thick, chunky and very heavy console. Almost cube shaped.

I say that they were waiting for MS to reveal theirs and they will do the same with a PlayStation logo slapped on it, because Sony too.

This or they look at the renders done by teens on the web and will steal the one with the most glow to it.

Ascend

It's in their best interest to have a more classic design. If they show a design similar to the XSX a long while later, people will use that as another argument that Sony boosted and redesigned their console at the last minute. And they'd have every right to.

Ladies and gents the PS5 is supposedly running thr GPU and CPU at ridiculous clocks. How in gods green earth do any of the above designs make sense with regards to keepi
3.5Ghz for a Zen 2 core is pretty reasonable, at this speed they basically leave all the cooling needs to the GPU... Which seems to run at a pretty high frequency, but we have yet to see how fast the clock speeds are on other rdna2 products to get a feel of how the architecture handles high frequencies.

But that's the point.

Both a Fujitsu and a console are high airflow appliances. Both need a cleanable filter, but only one delivers.

Why.

Cooling is not the purpose of the console. You would then have people complaining about needing to buy new filters when they and they will, break them while cleaning. The side panel that holds them is now another risk of breakage. The mainstream dont want to have to worry about manual maintenance.

The secondhand market and Gamestop/EB games flooded with filter and side panel missing PS5s.

Dumbarses taking the filter out altogether thinking it will be better for cooling and then complaining that their PS5 is full of dust.

Last edited:

xool

Not knocking the concet creators here but every single design this far has either ripped design straight off the Dualsense or a mish mash of the devkit and dual sense.

NOT ONE SINGLE DESIGN TAKES INTO ACCOUNT THERMAL EFFECIENCY.

It's always a case of form and then function.

Ladies and gents the PS5 is supposedly running thr GPU and CPU at ridiculous clocks. How in gods green earth do any of the above designs make sense with regards to keeping these high performance components cool ?

Look at Series X. It's a tower and it looks a design that favours function over form.

Design something that firstly takes care of the heat efficiently and then slap the fancy box over that. You dont design the box first and then throw on the vents.

Best guess to get to the PS5 final design is to check any leaked patents regarding the cooling methods proposed for PS5.

As for my guess? I reckon its going to be similar to the Seris X in that it will be a thick, chunky and very heavy console. Almost cube shaped.
Form over Function is what Sony has traditionally done though -case in point - the PS4.

I think the last/only "sensible" design was the OG Playstation - even the 'fat' PS2 was a mess inside - taking it apart was like unscrewing a laptop - so many layers squashed in .. in fact .. I think Sony's hardware designers are coming from a background making VAIO laptops and Walkmans - which could explain a lot.

I expect hidden air intakes and convoluted air paths unless something changed.

TLZ

Banned
ps5-design-fanmade-87834.jpg

This looks the best IMO especially when it is placed vertically. In fact it looks so good that Sony should just buy the design from the guy who made it and be done with it. I'm not a fan of the PC tower thing.
Yes. This is the only one I liked. It looks like something they'd do. But I'm not sure how good or practical its cooling is.

Form over Function is what Sony has traditionally done though -case in point - the PS4.

I think the last/only "sensible" design was the OG Playstation - even the 'fat' PS2 was a mess inside - taking it apart was like unscrewing a laptop - so many layers squashed in .. in fact .. I think Sony's hardware designers are coming from a background making VAIO laptops and Walkmans - which could explain a lot.

I expect hidden air intakes and convoluted air paths unless something changed.

The ps3 slim (not super slim) had terrible cooling, It almost melts the HDMI cable and leaves the hdmi cables metal plug hot to the touch.

Sony's hardpoints for design were no more than 449 in cost (I really expect them to go 399) and they wanted to be able to fit everything in case that fits in a horizontal case. Jim Ryan said they want to move the community from the current generation to next gen more quickly than in the past. They know they have to hit 399 to be able to do this.

MS clearly wanted to win the TF battle and was willing to go a little more outside of the norm. Things become really interesting if MS takes a hit on the console sell and offers the SX at 449 and SS at 349 or 299. Can't wait to hear the price on all the options

I want huge and heavy console that will have best cooling ever because of it. Don’t care about form, I care about functionality and cooling is by far biggest problem Sony has this gen. It can look like PC as far as I’m concerned if it’s gonna be quiet, I have space for it.

Last edited:

Texas Pride

Banned
It's going to need room to breathe. It'll be bigger than the traditional PS console but I doubt it's a tower. As long as it doesn't overheat who really gives a shit what it looks like?

I think it will be classic horizontal with option for putting vertical, maybe requiring a stand to do so.

I really don’t care, I think XsX looks great, I am sure PS5 will look great

I’m more interested in color scheme options than physical dimensions

Last edited:
Top Bottom