• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 was the top-selling gaming console in the U.S. during July 2022, as measured by dollars sold. It also still leads 2022 to date

Darsxx82

We don't know about units yet for YTD, but we do know Switch is still leading in it, not sure if PS5 is now tracking ahead of Xbox, I don't think Mat has said yet.

If the unit difference in July would have been enough to overtake XSeries YTD it would be the first to be announced.
Several months Xseries sold with a great difference against PS5 due to Stock problems. And in July it is not that XSeries has sold poorly either.
As the colleague says, the data for the month of July have not changed the positions in both tables.

That said, it would be nice if Matt could clearly confirm that matter to save debate.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Eh, kind of mesleading. It is leading in dollar sales because it costs 500 dollars.

The one that is actually leading in the US is the Switch. For now anyways

Nautilus

Banned
It already says the Switch leads unit sales and PS5 dollar sales. What's misleading?
That the PS5 is the market leader in the US, which it isn't. As the Switch currently is.

But fine. This thread smells of bait, given we already had a thread about this, but I'm no mod.

noise36

"measured in dollars sold" ? units sold is all that has ever mattered considering its the software and services per unit sold that make all the money not the hardware.

Last edited:

Three

They are measured in both by NPD but that article says PS5 is ahead with units YTD, and that isn't true, Switch is.

We don't know about units yet for YTD, but we do know Switch is still leading in it, not sure if PS5 is now tracking ahead of Xbox, I don't think Mat has said yet.
Yep, he's only said units for July.

PS5 #2 second to Switch in Units and xbox #2 second to PS5 in revenue.

I think Woopah Woopah has access to data possibly though. Do you Woopah?

Last edited:

reksveks

So was Satya Nadella lying also?

1) They did specific that they were referring to net-gen consoles which you might have taken issue with. I did call it 'cheeky' either here or on a discord community
2) Last 3 quarters would have meant October 21 to June 22; I was interested actually as well and saw that PS5 at #1 revenue for July, August and #1 for revenue and units in September (https://venturebeat.com/games/september-2021-npd-playstation-5-outsells-xbox-switch/)

Nautilus

Banned
1) They did specific that they were referring to net-gen consoles which you might have taken issue with. I did call it 'cheeky' either here or on a discord community
2) Last 3 quarters would have meant October 21 to June 22; I was interested actually as well and saw that PS5 at #1 revenue for July, August and #1 for revenue and units in September (https://venturebeat.com/games/september-2021-npd-playstation-5-outsells-xbox-switch/)
Switch is a 9th gen system. Which would still make that sentence false.

TLZ

Banned
That the PS5 is the market leader in the US, which it isn't. As the Switch currently is.

But fine. This thread smells of bait, given we already had a thread about this, but I'm no mod.

Someone has to. If the NPD says that in most months, the Switch is the one that sold the most and thus is the market leader in the US, either NPD got something wrong, or MS did.
I'm not sure what you're arguing here. No one said PS5 or Xbox is market leader in units sold. They're clearly specifying sales.

You're just being overly sensitive about the wording.

Without counting the units that the scalpers are selling doble the price...
The scalpers buying the PS5 for $500,- thats whats Sony asking for it. For Sony the console is sold...The scalpers are asking $200-300,- and more for it.
The people that want to pay that for it i have no compasion for. I bought my PS5 in August last year for $500 for it. Fuck the scalpers....

reksveks

If you don't care, why are you quoting and responding to me?
Because you responded to me and it felt civil to respond. Also 'caring' means different things to different people. The energy required for a single response is quite small.

Maybe I should have used 'I don't care enough' in my first response to you but have a good day.

Nautilus

Banned
I'm not sure what you're arguing here. No one said PS5 or Xbox is market leader in units sold. They're clearly specifying sales.

You're just being overly sensitive about the wording.
I'm not being sensitive. I' m trying to be correct here. I don't get why some of you are resistance about it.

Nautilus

Banned
Because you responded to me and it felt civil to respond. Also 'caring' means different things to different people. The energy required for a single response is quite small.

Maybe I should have used 'I don't care enough' in my first response to you but have a good day.
Maybe you should have. Either way, felt that you cared since you continued with the convo but, like you put it, I don't care enough about whatever you felt like.Especially about something so basic as the Switch being current gen(9th gen)

But wish you a good day!

Fredrik

Not sales in the traditional sense, as I doubt the bots and scalpers are buying any software ( outside of a bundle) to go with their new console.
A sale is a sale. It’s not like official figures which are shipped to stores. For console sales bot sales are as real as anything else.
NPD isn’t counting individual sales though so it’s kinda pointless to go into detail, iirc they have some actual store data and then extrapolate and guestimate to get the monthly totals for the US. All trackers do this btw. There is no actual sales data for any platform as far as I know.

Nautilus

Banned
Apple hardware plays games on tv(4K as well) and is more powerful... shall we include Apple hardware and software sales?
Is the Iphone or whatever device you refer as a product built and designed especifically to play videogames?

If the answer is yes, then sure. It's probably in the same place as the ouya and 3DO as failed consoles though.

If its a telephone that you refer to, such as an iphone, then no. Telephone are an all around device that just happens to play games. Much like PC, with the difference being that PC plays games that the vast majority cares about, and that phones don't. And even then, we don't consider PCs as consoles, do we?

dollars sold is pretty silly for consoles. Switch is something else. Almost ps2 like
No it isn't. Units is the silly dick measuring err measurement.

Take the ps2 everyone and there dog bangs on about it being the king etc because it sold the most units.

BUT in terms of profit it's sonys 2nd worst console. The ps1 generated more profit and the ps4 absolutely crushed it. In fact I think in a single year the ps4 generated more profit than the ps2s entire life cycle. And don't get me started on Nintendos profits.

The less said about the ps3 the better

Woopah

Yep, he's only said units for July.

PS5 #2 second to Switch in Units and xbox #2 second to PS5 in revenue.

I think Woopah Woopah has access to data possibly though. Do you Woopah?

All I'm sharing in this forum is information that had already been posted on Twitter by Matt, so nothing confidential.
Apple hardware plays games on tv(4K as well) and is more powerful... shall we include Apple hardware and software sales?
Apple hardware isn't a dedicated video game device. That's why every single major industry tracker compares PlayStation 5, Xbox Series and Switch, but not iPhones.

Last edited:

Mozza

But they buy the console and sell it on. Then buying the console adds to the numbers and it’s not like the scalpers keep them long so software sales come after that to
Of course, but there always seems to be lots of consoles available on E-bay, some with more modest increases in price, but some of the more expensive ones will hand around for longer.

The worldwide demand for PS5 far exceeds Series consoles and the only thing in the way so far has been supply.

The Series (shit name aside) are a fantastic pair of consoles, but people were kidding themselves if they thought PS5 wasn't going to do better.

The Series (shit name aside) are a fantastic pair of consoles, but people were kidding themselves if they thought PS5 wasn't going to do better.
Context matters, though. PS5 is currently way more expensive than Series, on average. Especially since bundle revenue counts fully towards hardware revenue, so PS5 makes $550 per unit more often than not. Meanwhile Series is chilling at an average of $400 per unit or so. Quite the difference.

Context matters, though. PS5 is currently way more expensive than Series, on average. Especially since bundle revenue counts fully towards hardware revenue, so PS5 makes $550 per unit more often than not. Meanwhile Series is chilling at an average of $400 per unit or so. Quite the difference.

Its more expensive and its still a few million consoles ahead.

Does the decreased demand for Xbox impacts Sony capability of producing more PS5s? I assume they have to be slowing down the production of Series S consoles at the very least at this point, giving how wildly available it is. They all get their chips from TSMC and they all share the same node, correct?

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Of course, but there always seems to be lots of consoles available on E-bay, some with more modest increases in price, but some of the more expensive ones will hand around for longer.

Yeah but they have already been sold at retail so the numbers are added already.

If a scalper buys 100 consoles then Sony already sold 100 consoles. Simple as that

Last edited:

Mozza

Yeah but they have already been sold at retail so the numbers are added already.

If a scalper buys 100 consoles then Sony already sold 100 consoles. Simple as that
You are not really getting my point, to use your example of a scalper say buying a 100 consoles, yes you are correct in stating it would equal 100 retail sales. However it's not the same as 100 individual people buying a console for their own personal use, as they would buy software at the time etc, so now the question is how long do these consoles take to arrive in genuine gamers hands, and depending on the extra margin/cost, does the end recipient have as much to spend on software etc... so at some level Sony are losing out.

Not in anyway stating Sony are not selling consoles, it's just unfortunate that E-bay has now become an official inflated source, which can't be good for anybody except the re sellers.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
You are not really getting my point, to use your example of a scalper say buying a 100 consoles, yes you are correct in stating it would equal 100 retail sales. However it's not the same as 100 individual people buying a console for their own personal use, as they would buy software at the time etc, so now the question is how long do these consoles take to arrive in genuine gamers hands, and depending on the extra margin/cost, does the end recipient have as much to spend on software etc... so at some level Sony are losing out.

Not in anyway stating Sony are not selling consoles, it's just unfortunate that E-bay has now become an official inflated source, which can't be good for anybody except the re sellers.

Again as soon as the scalper sellers them, the ps5 is in short supply and it’s not like scalpers wanna sit on them for months. They are in and out as quick as poss otherwise they start to loose value. It wouldn’t surprise me if the turnaround was less than a week

Mozza

Again as soon as the scalper sellers them, the ps5 is in short supply and it’s not like scalpers wanna sit on them for months. They are in and out as quick as poss otherwise they start to loose value. It wouldn’t surprise me if the turnaround was less than a week
Fair enough.

Top Bottom