• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 was the top-selling gaming console in the U.S. during July 2022, as measured by dollars sold. It also still leads 2022 to date

Doom85

boom smile GIF

ANIMAL1975

They do get counted as they make up the initial sale, and in effect are pre-owned (never used) consoles sold on E-bay etc.
Yes of course, i meant not counting the resale in this new NPD dollar metric rank trend. It was badly accomplished joke

MacReady13

Like I mentioned in another thread- when the series X is in stock in Australia you have ample time to purchase it. When the PS5 comes in stock in Australia you seriously have mere minutes to jump on and they’re gone. It’s crazy how fast the PS5 sells in Australia.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Like I mentioned in another thread- when the series X is in stock in Australia you have ample time to purchase it. When the PS5 comes in stock in Australia you seriously have mere minutes to jump on and they’re gone. It’s crazy how fast the PS5 sells in Australia.

You can walk down to any JB and order one right now for every shipment coming in within a 2/3 week window.

Dollars sold? We’re about units thanks.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
What sucks about this is as soon as stock improves PS5 will be old and Switch 2 will be out.

I really feel like Covid was designed to fuck Sony in every way imaginable this gen.

MacReady13

You can walk down to any JB and order one right now for every shipment coming in within a 2/3 week window.

Dollars sold? We’re about units thanks.
Spot on. Yet when they appear on Big W or EB sites and the like, they're on there for a minute or 2 then they're gone.

Woopah

Wait, I thought the xbox one was leading in the US and now I hear PS5 has been leading in 2022 up to date
So PS5 wiped out xboxs lead in just 1 month?
I agree that sounds weird, stock must have been very big in July. ^^"
I think they were pretty close in th US throughout this year but I could be wrong.
Xbox was selling more units per month the last 3 months not more units total.

Just another useless metric bragged by ms

Year to date it is:

Units

1. Switch
2. Xbox Series
3. PS5

Revenue

1. PS5
2. Xbox Series
3. Switch

PS5 was behind Xbox Series in revenue, but overtook it in June 2022 and stayed ahead of it in July. The July figures haven't changed the rankings at all.

Last edited:
So PS5 wiped out xboxs lead in just 1 month?
Define “lead”

People gotta learn to see through garbage corpo “speak” these companies do. Video games sales around the board have been severely down this year. Hardware has been bad due to supply shortages and software sales have been down due no big AAA games (since Feb) and covid restrictions lifting.

There was never a huge gap in sales, its just that Sonys productions issues in the first half of the year has been atrocious, now that they are improving it was easy for them to start outselling the other two consoles that are primarily ‘winning’ with 300 dollar consoles

Last edited:

Celine

If Switch snatch up this year too, it will be the best selling console in U.S., in term of units sold, for the last 5 consecutive years.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

No, consoles are measured by units, not revenue
They are measured in both by NPD but that article says PS5 is ahead with units YTD, and that isn't true, Switch is.
Despite component shortages, the PS5 is still the best-selling console in the US for 2022.
The example of a blog that uses the title to confuse its reader base.... Then the text does not say the same thing and it is just like the answer you answered.

Units:
1-Switch
2-X Series
3-PS5

Dollars:
1-PS5
2-X Series
3-Switch
We don't know about units yet for YTD, but we do know Switch is still leading in it, not sure if PS5 is now tracking ahead of Xbox, I don't think Mat has said yet.

Top Bottom