• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X Native games Load Times Comparison

Bodomism

Banned
Switch has overtaken the Wii, but it won't overtake the PS4. Playstation is just a bigger brand, appeals to more people (not just kids), and it has a superior games library.
Switch already has overtaken PS4 launch aligned.

I mean, take a look at the graph.

MrFunSocks

Banned
You'll get a cold boot multiple times in both consoles in real life gameplay experiences, so they matter.
Yeah nah lol.

Ever since about a week ago when it came out that the PS5 doesn't have quick resume for multiple games, all I've heard is that people don't care because they don't play more than 1 game at a time, ever. If that's true then cold boot times are literally irrelevant and could not matter any less, since you'll only ever see it a single time in your entire time playing the game.

Traxtech

As a PS5 owner I am very envious of xbox owners with quick resume, would be perfect for someone like me that switches between exclusives and Indie titles. Ah well

yurinka

Yeah nah lol.

Ever since about a week ago when it came out that the PS5 doesn't have quick resume for multiple games, all I've heard is that people don't care because they don't play more than 1 game at a time, ever. If that's true then cold boot times are literally irrelevant and could not matter any less, since you'll only ever see it a single time in your entire time playing the game.
If you only play a single game at a time yes, it will be the same in PS5 and Series X just using the console rest mode, that suspends your active game in both consoles. But many people play at least 2 games at more or less the same time, or goes back to and old game from time to time. So in this case if you can save time with QR in Xbox or with the PS5 method, that doesn't work in the same way but also vastly reduces the loading times due to:

-By default, the next gen native games load faster in PS5
-When you already loaded a game in PS5, the next time it skips the logo screens
-In PS5 with the activity cards you have a quick access to different game modes, different stages etc (depends on the game). By using them, you go to that point/checkpoint of the game skipping logos, menus or game world map/hub, so on top of that you can skip some seconds spent in these pages or related loading screens. These activity cards work with all native next gen games you have in the console, they aren't limited to the most recently played games like in QR

So at the end, if you aren't resuming from the Rest Mode in PS5 (works like in PS4, resume the game exactly in the same point where you were, like QR), even if with the activities method doesn't resume exactly in the same point, the loading times end being pretty similar specially in the exclusive games -I assume it's because they are already using Oodle Texture (to be available to all devs for free), because their loading times are way shorter than in the multis-.

This PS5 method has pros and cons compared to QR. Another pro would be to don't need like a hundred GBs to store the RAM of all the suspended games as QR does because it only requires normal savedata and quick access to a few specific parts of the game that only requires a very small coding from devs.

Bodomism

Banned
"Launch aligned" must be your favourite words. It's not selling 140m units.
Because that's the fairest metric for comparison.

You don't compare 7 years old hardware vs 3.5 years old hardware by using LTD sales.

Here's the complete data set where it shows Nintendo is following NDS trajectory and not Wii.
yiza67Q.png

0 price cut.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Demon souls having 3-4 second loading times is a godsend compared to the old days of From’s prior games.

but overall that list is pretty negligible. Though I would also like to tip my hat to how destiny 2 on ps5 no longer takes up to THREE FUCKING MINUTES to load into the game.

Hezekiah

Banned

You don't compare 7 years old hardware vs 3.5 years old hardware by using LTD sales.

Here's the complete data set where it shows Nintendo is following NDS trajectory and not Wii.
yiza67Q.png

0 price cut.
PS4s are still selling for £250. After seven years.

Let me say one final time because you seem a little slow on the uptake. Switch isnt selling 140m units. 160m units is laughable. Sales on the Switch will start to slow soon, and even though Switch is more of a kid's console, the PS5 Digital Edition and Series S will surely eat into its sales as they have far bigger games libraries, and are much more technologically advanced (particularly the PS5 DE).

Bodomism

Banned
PS4s are still selling for £250. After seven years.

Let me say one final time because you seem a little slow on the uptake. Switch isnt selling 140m units. 160m units is laughable. Sales on the Switch will start to slow soon, and even though Switch is more of a kid's console, the PS5 Digital Edition and Series S will surely eat into its sales as they have far bigger games libraries, and are much more technologically advanced (particularly the PS5 DE).
PS4 pro and XBOX didn't do jack shit to Nintendo Switch, why the heck PS5 and SXS would stop Switch momentum?

None of those consoles library have game like these below

1. Zelda BOTW - 4M-5M copies each year
2. SMO - 3M-4M copies each year
3. MK8D - 6M-8M copies each year
4. Smash Ultimate - 4M-5M copies each year
5. Animal Crossing - The fastest selling game ever and second only to GTAV in the same time frame.
6. Pokemon - Well it's Pokemon the COD for Nintendo in term of sales.

PS5 and XSS/S will stop PS4 and XBO from selling because of library overlap and not Nintendo Switch.

140M is likely for Switch based on current momentum.

Hezekiah

Banned
PS4 pro and XBOX didn't do jack shit to Nintendo Switch, why the heck PS5 and SXS would stop Switch momentum?

None of those consoles library have game like these below

1. Zelda BOTW - 4M-5M copies each year
2. SMO - 3M-4M copies each year
3. MK8D - 6M-8M copies each year
4. Smash Ultimate - 4M-5M copies each year
5. Animal Crossing - The fastest selling game ever and second only to GTAV in the same time frame.
6. Pokemon - Well it's Pokemon the COD for Nintendo in term of sales.

PS5 and XSS/S will stop PS4 and XBO from selling because of library overlap and not Nintendo Switch.

140M is likely for Switch based on current momentum.
Haha you're comparing mid-gen refreshes (the One X was a dud ffs) to new a generation consoles. The PS5 has way more hype around it and is much more sought after than the Switch, and this will continue throughout 2021. Even the Series X likely will be for the next few months.

Fastest-selling games blah blah, when's the tie ratio hitting PS4 levels because last we heard it was about half.

Hurry up and banned again, I fear forumistas are losing brain cells by engaging the troll 😁.

Bodomism

Banned
Haha you're comparing mid-gen refreshes (the One X was a dud ffs) to new a generation consoles. The PS5 has way more hype around it and is much more sought after than the Switch, and this will continue throughout 2021. Even the Series X likely will be for the next few months.

Fastest-selling games blah blah, when's the tie ratio hitting PS4 levels because last we heard it was about half.

Hurry up and banned again, I fear forumistas are losing brain cells by engaging the troll 😁.
Remember Nintendo Switch will fail list from before?

-Underpowered Hardware against PS4 and XBO
-Expensive price point for underpowered hardware specs
-Lack 3rd party supports from big publishers
-Nintendo already used all of heavy hitters in 2017 with BOTW, SMO, Splatoon 2, and MK8D.
-Nintendo already used all of heavy hitters in 2018 with SMP, Pokemon Let's GO, and Smash Bros Ultimate.
-Nintendo already used all of heavy hitters in 2019 with LM3, RFA, NSMBUD, and Pokemon SwSh.
-Nintendo already used all of the heavy hitters in 2020 with ACNH and SM3DAS.
-Covid will stop Nintendo Switch momentum.
-Next gen consoles will stop Nintendo Switch momentum

Can't wait to see your reaction to Switch hardware explosive record sales in Q3.

October number without heavy hitters and only WiiU port of pikmin 3.
US - 736K
EU - 650K
JP - 360K
ROTW - ??

Now imagine what is going to happen in November with MK8D bundled and Age of Calamity?

😎

Hezekiah

Banned
Remember Nintendo Switch will fail list from before?

-Underpowered Hardware against PS4 and XBO
-Expensive price point for underpowered hardware specs
-Lack 3rd party supports from big publishers
-Nintendo already used all of heavy hitters in 2017 with BOTW, SMO, Splatoon 2, and MK8D.
-Nintendo already used all of heavy hitters in 2018 with SMP, Pokemon Let's GO, and Smash Bros Ultimate.
-Nintendo already used all of heavy hitters in 2019 with LM3, RFA, NSMBUD, and Pokemon SwSh.
-Nintendo already used all of the heavy hitters in 2020 with ACNH and SM3DAS.
-Covid will stop Nintendo Switch momentum.
-Next gen consoles will stop Nintendo Switch momentum

Can't wait to see your reaction to Switch hardware explosive record sales in Q3.

October number without heavy hitters and only WiiU port of pikmin 3.
US - 736K
EU - 650K
JP - 360K
ROTW - ??

Now imagine what is going to happen in November with MK8D bundled and Age of Calamity?

😎
And then afterwards it tails off and you cry yourself to sleep in your mum's basement.

Pikmin 3 and Age of Calamity, wtf I really am talking to a little kid (whose parents have shares in Nintendo) 😅.

Bodomism

Banned
And then afterwards it tails off and you cry yourself to sleep in your mum's basement.

Pikmin 3 and Age of Calamity, wtf I really am talking to a little kid (whose parents have shares in Nintendo) 😅.
Imagine feeling superior while playing a video game 🤭

Matured and older gamers love playing family oriented games.

Edgy teenagers and children prefer triple A blockbuster cinematic games.

Hezekiah

Banned
Imagine feeling superior while playing a video game 🤭

Matured and older gamers love playing family oriented games.

Edgy teenagers and children prefer triple A blockbuster cinematic games.
Imagine getting a hard-on about Nintendo sales, and then posting about it. Constantly
😅. To the point where GAF labels you a troll 💩.

Stick to your 'family-oriented' games aimed at kiddies, I'll stick to playing the widest, most diverse library of games on console and PC.

Bodomism

Banned
Imagine getting a hard-on about Nintendo sales, and then posting about it. Constantly
😅. To the point where GAF labels you a troll 💩.

Stick to your 'family-oriented' games aimed at kiddies, I'll stick to playing the widest, most diverse library of games on console and PC.
66212-196471-hardcoregamersjpg-620x.jpeg

Switch already has overtaken PS4 launch aligned.

I mean, take a look at the graph.

Comparing switch and ps4 is pointless

Handheld vs home console. or handheld&"home console" vs home console

they have some over lapping features but also are different.

Maybe if there would be statistics of people whom only have ps4 and only have switch(dockable model) hooked on the tv etc.

only remotely fair comparison would bee combined wii+3ds sales vs switch+switch lite sales, or ps2+psp vs switch+switch lite

But IMO switch is just in different segment completely, ps4 and switch arent really competing from the same audience. In a same sense than xbox vs playstation

Hezekiah

Banned
Oh yes, from sales talk to calling people taste kiddy. Despite playing a video game for yourself 🤣
I'm guessing English isn't your first language. But I think deep down you know the new consoles will take a lot of momentum out of the sales of the Switch, and you're upset about it because you view its sales as a source of pride for some reason. You're a weird dude.

It's best not to talk about 140m, 160m, things that aren't going to happen. That's when depression hits and you become dejected.

Bodomism

Banned
I'm guessing English isn't your first language. But I think deep down you know the new consoles will take a lot of momentum out of the sales of the Switch, and you're upset about it because you view its sales as a source of pride for some reason. You're a weird dude.

It's best not to talk about 140m, 160m, things that aren't going to happen. That's when depression hits and you become dejected.

Sales analyst from NPD that has the access to all of video games sales data in the US.

Daymos

It just took 5 seconds to load my dragon quest 11 save on switch, mad speed!! A good thing too, I need something handheld to play while I wait for games to load in my ps4 pro.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Activity cards to switch between games.

Ok so now show me how you can instantly go back to 6 minutes into that sack boy level, while you were mid jump, after having been playing spider man for 2 days and having unplugged the console and taken it to your mates house.

Oh right, you can’t, because a level select isn’t the same as save states.

I’ll use the analogy again - Netflix. Are these 2 scenarios the same?

1. Netflix let’s you pick up right where you left off watching a movie, even after you turn the tv off completely Or have watched another 10 movies.

2. Netflix only lets you skip to chapters, doesn’t resume from where you left off, so you have to try and find a chapter close to where you think you were and then play from there.

Do you see the difference? 1 is quick resume, 2 is PlayStation cards. 2 isn’t a replacement or substitute for 1.

You’re essentially saying that Netflix doesn’t need to let you resume watching movies because it can start from the start again really quickly. See how dumb that sounds?

Last edited:
As a PS5 owner I am very envious of xbox owners with quick resume, would be perfect for someone like me that switches between exclusives and Indie titles. Ah well

I don't switch between games often but I would like to know that my game progress was safe in the event of a power failure or if another user shuts down the console . I have a 5yr old nephew who will take over my system when I am not around and he will often just play under whoever's account he presses first. I have lived without it on the PS4 but it would be a nice option to have.

Hezekiah

Banned

Sales analyst from NPD that has the access to all of video games sales data in the US.

What did I say about October? You're not very good at reading or comprehension...

That second tweet, literally every point applies to Sony 😄 - except the top three best-selling home consoles of all time are Playstations, the Wii a creditable fourth.

Last edited:

yurinka

yiza67Q.png

0 price cut.
Switch isn't following the DS (or Wii) trajectory. It's following the PS2 and PS4 trajectory.

Notice that it's exactly like the PS4 numbers outside 2 big differences:
-PS4 had an extra Q3 at launch
-Switch had a sales bump during the current Q1 and Q2 numbers due to Covid, so big and unexpected for Nintendo that they bumped their estimation for the current fiscal year in 5M.
-Outside these two main differences, Switch sold 53.01M and PS4 52.96M: basically the same

That extra Q3 was the reason of why PS4 was outselling Switch when launch aligned until the current FY, and the extra unexpected Switch sales bump during Q1 and Q2 more than compensated that PS4 lead, so now Switch is outselling PS4 when launch aligned.

The thing is:
-PS home consoles last selling during ~10+ years.
-PS4 is following exactly the same sales curve than the PS2, which lasted ~12 years.
-Most Nintendo and MS consoles last around ~5-6 years.
-Wii and the portables typically last ~8 years.

So it's very likely that PS4 will last for 10-12 years and the Switch will last for 8 years, which means is more likely that PS4 will sell more at the end of both life cycles. And who knows, maybe PS4 can go beyond 12 years specially having stuff like PS Plus, PS Now, BC and crossgen games, plus apps like Netflix and so on, and PS4 being too expensive for its lifecycle point so has a wider margin for price cuts than PS2 had at this point of their life cycle.

Ok so now show me how you can instantly go back to 6 minutes into that sack boy level, while you were mid jump, after having been playing spider man for 2 days and having unplugged the console and taken it to your mates house.

Oh right, you can’t, because a level select isn’t the same as save states.

I’ll use the analogy again - Netflix. Are these 2 scenarios the same?

1. Netflix let’s you pick up right where you left off watching a movie, even after you turn the tv off completely Or have watched another 10 movies.

2. Netflix only lets you skip to chapters, doesn’t resume from where you left off, so you have to try and find a chapter close to where you think you were and then play from there.

Do you see the difference? 1 is quick resume, 2 is PlayStation cards. 2 isn’t a replacement or substitute for 1.

You’re essentially saying that Netflix doesn’t need to let you resume watching movies because it can start from the start again really quickly. See how dumb that sounds?
Well, you can make other comparisions saying that the PS5 feature is more like Netflix than QR:

1. Activity Cards work with all native PS5 games you have installed in the console, while Quick Resume is limited to the to the most recently played 5 native Series X|S games or 12 BC games.

2. We also should compare loading times of QR versus launching them with AC, specially once devs start using Oodle texture so they became even shorter in PS5.

3. Quick Resume provides you a quick access where you left the game (a single episode/a single movie/a single tv series'), while activity cards also provide you quick access to the other 'chapters of the tv series or all the series and movies' (other stages or game modes).

And well, most players and in most games you don't care about going back to the most recent checkpoint.

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
Switch isn't following the DS (or Wii) trajectory. It's following the PS2 and PS4 trajectory.

-Switch had a sales bump during the current Q1 and Q2 numbers due to Covid, so big and unexpected for Nintendo that they bumped their estimation for the current fiscal year in 5M.
-Outside these two main differences, Switch sold 53.01M and PS4 52.96M: basically the same

That extra Q3 was the reason of why PS4 was outselling Switch when launch aligned until the current FY, and the extra unexpected Switch sales bump during Q1 and Q2 more than compensated that PS4 lead, so now Switch is outselling PS4 when launch aligned.

The thing is:
-PS4 is following exactly the same sales curve than the PS2, which lasted ~12 years.

So it's very likely that PS4 will last for 10-12 years and the Switch will last for 8 years, which means is more likely that PS4 will sell more at the end of both life cycles. And who knows, maybe PS4 can go beyond 12 years specially having stuff like PS Plus, PS Now, BC and crossgen games, plus apps like Netflix and so on, and PS4 being too expensive for its lifecycle point so has a wider margin for price cuts than PS2 had at this point of their life cycle.

Well, you can make other comparisions saying that the PS5 feature is more like Netflix than QR:

1. Activity Cards work with all native PS5 games you have installed in the console, while Quick Resume is limited to the to the most recently played 5 native Series X|S games or 12 BC games.

2. We also should compare loading times of QR versus launching them with AC, specially once devs start using Oodle texture so they became even shorter in PS5.

3. Quick Resume provides you a quick access where you left the game (a single episode/a single movie/a single tv series'), while activity cards also provide you quick access to the other 'chapters of the tv series or all the series and movies' (other stages or game modes).

And well, most players and in most games you don't care about going back to the most recent checkpoint.
PS4 peak on Y3 while Switch is currently on route to sell around ~30M on Y4 without a single price drop at this point.

PS4 leg is already lagging behind based on this FY shipment. We're not going to see any shipment above 10M for PS4 anymore.

Oct number for US, Japan, and EU.
US Switch - 740K
US PS4 - 40K
JP Switch - 350K
JP PS4 - 15K

Nintendo Switch is going to catch up really soon to PS4.

soulbait

Watch Dogs: Legion ''from boot until title screen''
  • PlayStation 5: 21.25 seconds
  • Xbox Series X: 24.32 seconds
Watch Dogs: Legion ''form title screen to gameplay''
  • PlayStation 5: 23.42 seconds
  • Xbox Series X: 26.27 seconds
Dirt 5 ''from boot until the first cinematic scene''
  • PlayStation 5: 23.51 seconds
  • Xbox Series X: 26.27 seconds
Dirt 5 ''form select screen to to gameplay''
  • PlayStation 5: 19.20 seconds
  • Xbox Series X: 14.09 seconds
Assassin's Creed Valhalla ''from boot until title screen''
  • PlayStation 5: 15.42 seconds
  • Xbox Series X: 40.30 seconds
Assassin's Creed Valhalla ''form title screen to gameplay''
  • PlayStation 5: 11.34 seconds
  • Xbox Series X: 12.16 seconds

This is fraud I tell you, fraud. All these games, except for Dirt 5, they are cheating. They did not allow enough Xbox people to watch the game load, and kept them at a distance. This is a disgrace. Xbox clearly won, I mean look at Dirt 5, so all the other numbers are fake. I am going to get my lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, on this quickly.

yurinka

PS4 peak on Y3 while Switch is currently on route to sell around ~30M on Y4 without a single price drop at this point.

PS4 leg is already lagging behind based on this FY shipment. We're not going to see any shipment above 10M for PS4 anymore.

Oct number for US, Japan, and EU.
US Switch - 740K
US PS4 - 40K
JP Switch - 350K
JP PS4 - 15K

Nintendo Switch is going to catch up really soon to PS4.
These October USA and JP only comparsion is super cherrypicking, it doesn't make sense at all.

No, it won't catch up. Switch is too far of the over 112M PS4 sold until now. It won't outsell PS4 because outside the current fiscal year with the unexpected covid sales bump, launch aligned pretty much has the same curve than the PS4, but looking at previous Nintendo consoles and portables it's very likely Switch will be 6-8 years in the market while PS4 will be very likely 10-12+ years in the market as previous Sony home consoles did.

As I explained, pre-covid (so outside the 2 recent quarters) PS4 was above Switch in launch aligned sales until March 31st 2021 due to having an extra Q3. Switch isn't 'catching up', it just experienced a big unusual sales bump due to covid that nobody -even Nintendo- expected.

Before the unexpected Q1 & Q2 peak Nintendo's estimation for the current fiscal year was to sell 19M, exactly what PS4 sold that same FY. So Nintendo expected that their peak year was going to be their previous FY, but due to the covid peak now it's going to be current year.

These October sales just mean many shops replaced their PS4 shipments for PS5 shipments because PS5 is going to have the best launch of a console in gaming history, and that this month many people didn't buy a PS4 because will buy a PS5 next month.

It's also dumb to compare a console year on its peak year with another one sunseting and that will see the release of its successor the next month. It's obvious that the console in the peak will sell more than the one sunseting if we only look at this month. Spoiler: same will happen next month. And PS5 will sell way more than Switch the month before the successor of Switch gets released.

And well, USA is like 25-33% of the worldwide revenue, and Japan is now a small market for consoles. The biggest market for PlayStation is Europe, and you didn't post or can't know the European sales because they don't exist. They aren't public until Nintendo or Sony publish them.

Regarding PS4 legs, PlayStation home consoles traditionally sell around 1/3 of their sales after the release of their successor. If PS4 does it -they can skyrocket sales if desired by applying a price cut, they have a lot of room for it- then it should end selling almost 170M if we use the 112M figure of September as reference.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned

The thing is:

Excuses and justifications is all I see. “Wait for oodle” seems to be the new secret sauce lol.

Given the choice of quick resume exactly where you left off and loading your last save s as always, 100% of unbiased people would choose the former because it’s just better in every way.

Bodomism

Banned
These October USA and JP only comparsion is super cherrypicking, it doesn't make sense at all.

No, it won't catch up. Switch is too far of the over 112M PS4 sold until now. It won't outsell PS4 because outside the current fiscal year with the unexpected covid sales bump, launch aligned pretty much has the same curve than the PS4, but looking at previous Nintendo consoles and portables it's very likely Switch will be 6-8 years in the market while PS4 will be very likely 10-12+ years in the market as previous Sony home consoles did.

As I explained, pre-covid (so outside the 2 recent quarters) PS4 was above Switch in launch aligned sales until March 31st 2021 due to having an extra Q3. Switch isn't 'catching up', it just experienced a big unusual sales bump due to covid that nobody -even Nintendo- expected.

Before the unexpected Q1 & Q2 peak Nintendo's estimation for the current fiscal year was to sell 19M, exactly what PS4 sold that same FY. So Nintendo expected that their peak year was going to be their previous FY, but due to the covid peak now it's going to be current year.

These October sales just mean many shops replaced their PS4 shipments for PS5 shipments because PS5 is going to have the best launch of a console in gaming history, and that this month many people didn't buy a PS4 because will buy a PS5 next month.

It's also dumb to compare a console year on its peak year with another one sunseting and that will see the release of its successor the next month. It's obvious that the console in the peak will sell more than the one sunseting if we only look at this month. Spoiler: same will happen next month. And PS5 will sell way more than Switch the month before the successor of Switch gets released.

And well, USA is like 25-33% of the worldwide revenue, and Japan is now a small market for consoles. The biggest market for PlayStation is Europe, and you didn't post or can't know the European sales because they don't exist. They aren't public until Nintendo or Sony publish them.

Regarding PS4 legs, PlayStation home consoles traditionally sell around 1/3 of their sales after the release of their successor. If PS4 does it -they can skyrocket sales if desired by applying a price cut, they have a lot of room for it- then it should end selling almost 170M if we use the 112M figure of September as reference.
Nintendo Switch +77% YoY in Oct 2020 vs Oct 2019

Playstation 4 is already in a capitulation mode and it will be in much worse condition after PS5 launching date.
4CQZaah.png

Nintendo Switch is projected to have a record breaking Q3 which is around 12M-14M shipments.

NSW is going to extend the lead much further in launch aligned data

Switch is projected to sell around 150M while PS4 will struggle to cross 125M

Self

It's also dumb to compare a console year on its peak year with another one sunseting and that will see the release of its successor the next month.

I think it's dump to compare a stationary console with a freaking handheld.

yurinka

Nintendo Switch +77% YoY in Oct 2020 vs Oct 2019
Wow, I didn't know there were public numbers for EMEAA. Thanks for sharing!

Regarding Switch sales, it says there has been a decrease instead a 77%YoY: "In terms of games hardware, just under 750,000 games consoles were sold across the EMEAA region. That is a drop on the 795,000 consoles sold during October 2019 "

Playstation 4 is already in a capitulation mode and it will be in much worse condition after PS5 launching date.
4CQZaah.png
No. PS4 crossed its peak year but it's far away of a 'capitulation mode' looking at this graph, because this false graph is misleading for two big reasons.

This graph only includes the PS5 sales of the first half of it's 8th fiscal year -the current one-, and if you see it without knowing it, it looks like as if it stopped selling this current year. Which is false, because once you add there the future sales of Q3 and Q4 it will continue outselling PS2 and every other console in gaming history. It only needs 2.6M to do it, which is quite easy to achieve.

The graph also stops including the PS2 numbers on its 8th year to don't make Wii and PS1 too bad. The PS2 graph continues reaching over 155M on its 12th year. And PS4 is outselling it on the 8th year.

Nintendo Switch is projected to have a record breaking Q3 which is around 12M-14M shipments.
No, Nintendo until a few weeks ago expected to sell this 4thFY exactly the same PS4 sold this year, 19M. So expected to sell around 9M in Q3. Now they expect to sell 5M more, which is the extra sales they had compared during Q1+Q2 increased to what PS4 had that same 4thFY.

This means Nintendo had a scheduled number of units to be produced and shipped this FY and due to sales bump brought them forward, and will produce 5M more, which is a lot. It's something very rare specially when unexpected, it's a big effort. Let's say they can increase their production into 7M instead of 5M. That would be crazy. And if they do it and put it for Q3, it would be 11M. But I think it's more realistic to expect 9-10M for Q3.

NSW is going to extend the lead much further in launch aligned data
I think it's possible that they may increase it in Q3 but after that will go back to sell the same PS4 did back in the same launch aligned FY as it did outside this covid-related bump. The unexpected peak during Q1 and Q2 was unexpected even by Nintendo, happened due to covid and shouldn't last way more.

Switch is projected to sell around 150M while PS4 will struggle to cross 125M
This 'projection' is an unrealistic fan wish based on nothing.

Switch would sell around 150M if it would be in the market during 12 years as PS2 did, or at least 10+ as the other PS home consoles did. But it won't be the case. Most Nintendo/MS home consoles last around 6 years, and portables around 8FY, as Wii did. I expect it to last 8FY and to sell around 140M.

Sony said they will continue supporting PS4 for at least 2 or 3 years with some crossgen games. 3 years would be its 11th FY, so it's fair to think they expect it to last 12FY years, like PS2. This time they have digital games, a great BC in its successor, PS Plus, PS Now, services like Netflix and so on that will provide them extra revenue, the indie games that can be crossgen for longer, it's priced still at $300 and there are even more things that will help it last longer.

So PS4 is going to outsell PS2 afther its current 8th fiscal year and has all these things that will help it to have more legs compared to what PS2 had back then, so can continue doing it for at least 2 or 3 years. This means PS4 will outsell PS2 at the end of its lifetime with at least almost 160M.

I think it's dump to compare a stationary console with a freaking handheld.
You can think whatever you want, but Switch is both a home console and a portable. So it can be compared both to a portable or to a home console.

In fact, as seen in the table posted above, outside the extra quarter PS4 had at launch, and the recent Switch Q1 and Q2 that experienced the covid bump, PS4 and Switch sold the same until now. And Nintendo expected to sell 19M this 4th FY, which is exactly what PS4 sold its 4th FY. They increased their prediction in 5M after seeing they sold in Q1+Q2 of their 4thFY 5M more than PS4 sold in its 4thFY Q1+Q2.

Last edited:

Self

You can think whatever you want, but Switch is both a home console and a portable. So it can be compared both to a portable or to a home console.
It can, but it would be a dishonest approach.

To be fair, the Switch is not a "handheld" per se.
It is a handheld, which can also be used stationary. So it can play on both fields, twisting the numbers along the way. It's like putting Wii sales and 3DS sales together to make a point.

yurinka

It is a handheld, which can also be used stationary. So it can play on both fields, twisting the numbers along the way. It's like putting Wii sales and 3DS sales together to make a point.
In any case, it would be to add WiiU and 3DS together. Which wouldn't be so crazy considering basically the idea of Nintendo was to merge their portable and home console business and teams in a single console.

scalman

i kinda like to make tea and sandwich for myself until my games loading on current gens.. damn... nah joking it will be great. just plz be quiet consoles ...plz

Top Bottom