• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X Native games Load Times Comparison

yurinka

There it is; M.2 wins. PC MASTER RACE REIGNS SUPREME!!!!
The games of that video aren't native PS5 or Series X games: they are BC games so get bottlenecked by the hardware of the machines they are emulating, and don't take advantage of their I/O stuff.

PS5 native multi games like the ones listed in the OP plus DMC5SE or NBA2K should be a better reference of what the new consoles can do. Specially in the future once they stop being crossgen or use stuff like Oodle texture.

assurdum

Banned
I said that compared to the PS5 they made it seem like it would be a night/day difference. Please don't make me waste time trying to prove a point that has been well advertised several months ago.
I mean we heard multiple discussion about night/day difference in power between the 2 machines where is the same outrage there? It's more annoying to spot 2 second of difference in loading time or similar multiplat perfomance? I'm curious now.

Last edited:
Lazy devs!

They woulda gotten away with it, too! If it wasn’t for those Lazy Devs and their damn dog!

I’m really happy with those load times. Claims of instant loading was obvious hyperbole. Getting them down into the 20 second range is a huge quality of life improvement.

Yeah. Loading a game in 20 seconds instead of close to 2 minutes is a huge leap IMO

Last edited:

Ascend

That's pure bullshit. No one has ever substained the series X will be slow as HDD. Let's move on to this generic nonsense.
I actually got banned from that thread for criticizing people's nonsense on the XSX SSD. People were definitely doing it by posting videos comparing SSD loading times with hard drive loading times, and saying that the difference between the PS5 and the XSX will be exactly like that. And when I pointed it out, I was the one that was 'looking for trouble' or 'trolling'.

Yeah, I'm still salty about it, and that salt will never be removed.

Last edited:
The games of that video aren't native PS5 or Series X games: they are BC games so get bottlenecked by the hardware of the machines they are emulating, and don't take advantage of their I/O stuff.

PS5 native multi games like the ones listed in the OP plus DMC5SE or NBA2K should be a better reference of what the new consoles can do. Specially in the future once they stop being crossgen or use stuff like Oodle texture.

I know that, was just cracking a joke ;)

Don't count PC out of the picture just yet though; when DirectStorage becomes available on that platform, combined with a gradual shift for the playerbase to SSDs including ones that'll be faster than either system's internal drives on sequential and random accesses, provided we're dealing with AAA PC games I won't be surprised to see overall data I/O performance there at the upper ends that are at least very competitive with PS5 and Series X, if not surpassing both.

And you're right BC titles aren't the best metric for judging load time capabilities of the systems, and cross-gen games with native next-gen versions are a better metric, while also keeping in mind a lot of PS5's I/O isn't being fully leveraged yet. But, people should keep in mind the same applies with Series X and XvA; games are barely touching it at this time. So there's room for performance to grow on both systems (and Series S) in regards to load times and data streaming going forward.

Really can't go wrong with any approach in that regard, this gen.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Different games have different design frameworks, which require different coding practices and pipelines. They could also be using different file formats for various textures, models, audio etc. These aren't trivial things.

Not to mention, traditionally 1P devs usually have the best access to resources from both a financial and technical assistance POV. 3P devs usually do not, though it's gotten somewhat better over time and massive 3P devs generally do well on that front.

If you're expecting general 3P load times to hit into the range we're seeing with some 1P games now, you'll have to wait until UE5 is available most likely, though 1P games leveraging that engine will still have an advantage, generally speaking.

You're taking my words out of context.

Read again.

It's still slow. If Spider-Man and Demon Souls can load within a few seconds, then that means there's more speed these developers can leverage.

"Can leverage" doesn't mean exactly the same.

The devs can clearly improve on load speeds, which doesn't make it "unrealistic".

Its unreasonable to think third party devs cannot improve load times that are very similar to Spider-Man: MM.

Yes, if you think devs cannot improve or even load very similar to Spider-Man MM then that's ridiculous. Period.

This is well before devs start to get a better hold of the SSD tech behind both consoles and you think they already nearly tapped out on loading speeds. The reason why I say this because becoming within a 4-6 seconds of Spider-Man: MM speeds is "similar".

assurdum

Banned
I actually got banned from that thread for criticizing people's nonsense on the XSX SSD. People were definitely doing it by posting videos comparing SSD loading times with hard drive loading times, and saying that the difference between the PS5 and the XSX will be exactly like that. And when I pointed it out, I was the one that was 'looking for trouble' or 'trolling'.

Yeah, I'm still salty about it, and that salt will never be removed.
Forgive me but there is a fundamental difference if some eccentric person substained it and what the common sense suggest.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
WTF? Who said that now?
That's pure bullshit. No one has ever substained the series X will be slow as HDD. Let's move on to this generic nonsense.
You sure about that?
I absolutely do understand this. And PS5's SSD IO subsystem is far superior, more custom, less bottlenecks. MS's solution stinks of a drop-in replacement for a HDD with some cobbled-together buzzwords and spin to make it seem more advanced to fanboys.

Fbh

Pretty close....and overall not that impressive after months of people hyping up the "death of load screens".

Though I imagine once last gen consoles (and HDD's on PC) are completely dropped this should improve...right?

No.....no....this can’t be.....

The XsX has a fast SSD too?????????!!???!?!!?

That’s NOT POSSIBLE.....

NO.

NO.....

But.....they said.....

THEY TOLD ME......

giphy.gif

Ok but imagine trying to enjoy a fun next gen game knowing that out there there's bastards with a console from the competition having to wait a whole 2.5 seconds less for it to load:
vj2v8.jpg

Seems like Valhalla is the only one taking advantage of the new technology properly. It even loads ridiculously quick on PC as well (provided you have an SSD).

Valhalla has three extra splash screens on XSX that weren't shown in the PS5 one. They only show up the first time you boot the game. Likely PS5 was booted once which removed those and XSX was a first time boot. Not really comparable.

They woulda gotten away with it, too! If it wasn’t for those Lazy Devs and their damn dog!

Yeah. Loading a game in 20 seconds instead of close to 2 minutes is a huge leap IMO

Man it's nice to have you back dude!

You sure about that?

There's probably a graveyard or receipts in the Next-Gen Speculation Thread of people saying it, but who's fussed with searching all those pages for them :LOL: ?

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
How the hell Microsoft managed to get XSX loading speed closer to PS5 despite PS5 on paper is 2-3 times faster than XSX.

Answer: Velocity architecture bitch.
Another thing we continue to ignore we are still in the cross gen boundary. Data is yet to be pushed beyond the limits of the past generation, of course loading time can't change by much between the 2 next generation console

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
How the hell Microsoft managed to get XSX loading speed closer to PS5 despite PS5 on paper is 2-3 times faster than XSX.

Answer: Velocity architecture bitch.

Sure, or you are comparing cross gen games on with developers pushing them out on nine platforms. Feel free to compare Spider-Man MM to any XBox open world game if you want. You act as if the first game released in a gen is indicative to what we will see for seven years.

Ascend

Forgive me but that's drastically different if some person substained that and what the common sense suggest.
Go read for yourself if you're so interested, and see if it was "some person", or the primary point being pushed in the thread. You can start with this page;
]

That's not to mention the leaked Spiderman loading time constantly being compared to a non-optimized State of Decay backwards compatibility title on the Xbox Series X that came back again and again in that thread, despite that faulty argument being addressed multiple times. I would look them up, but I have better things to do with my time.

People without knowledge have opinions, and inevitably some of them are too loud.
The main reason that the PS5 SSD was hyped to the moon was because it was the only specification advantage it had on paper, and we all know it. With that came the inevitable downplaying of the XSX as much as possible, beyond all reason. People are still looking for this, which is what the whole loading time comparison is all about. Some are still desperate to find the loading advantage on the PS5.
Don't get me wrong. I have no problem with the comparisons. It's fun to think about, and some people that love tech might like those details for the sake of it. But for all practical purposes, those comparisons are futile. Add in Quick Resume, and the whole game shifts again.

Because truly, honestly, objectively, if a game loads in 6 seconds rather than 7, nobody is going to notice or care. You buy a console to play games, not to do side by side comparisons. And if someone really buys a console based on that second of difference, they need to get their priorities straight. But priorities haven't been straight ever since the spec announcement of these consoles.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Go read for yourself if you're so interested, and see if it was "some person", or the primary point being pushed in the thread. You can start with this post;

That's not to mention the leaked Spiderman loading time constantly being compared to a non-optimized State of Decay backwards compatibility title on the Xbox Series X that came back again and again in that thread, despite that faulty argument being addressed multiple times. I would look them up, but I have better things to do with my time.

People without knowledge have opinions, and inevitably some of them are too loud.
The main reason that the PS5 SSD was hyped to the moon was because it was the only specification advantage it had on paper, and we all know it. With that came the inevitable downplaying of the XSX as much as possible, beyond all reason. People are still looking for this, which is what the whole loading time comparison is all about. Some are still desperate to find the loading advantage on the PS5.
Don't get me wrong. I have no problem with the comparisons. It's fun to think about, and some people that love tech might like those details for the sake of it. But for all practical purposes, those comparisons are futile. Add in Quick Resume, and the whole game shifts again.

Because truly, honestly, objectively, if a game loads in 6 seconds rather than 7, nobody is going to notice or care. You buy a console to play games, not to do side by side comparisons. And if someone really buys a console based on that second of difference, they need to get their priorities straight. But priorities haven't been straight ever since the spec announcement of these consoles.
I mean it could end to have a notable advantage for ps5 in loading time in the future game. Just depends how data is handled by the engine. I don't find extremely crazy expect it. But it's a bit early discuss about it. We are stuck yet to the previous generation.

Last edited:

frogger

Why couldn't this have been said back in the speculation thread and people could have accepted it and moved on. Instead we got endless pages of how the SSD is going to magically instantenous and that the XSX would perform like a conventional harddrive compared to the PS5. It was so ridiculous. I love it when actual real world results come out and all the wishful thinking gets buried under a rock.

I saw multiple people said this, fanboys just refuse to believe it.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Where did he said is fast as an HDD? Except the overhype around the ps5 SSD and the downplay of the serie X, he stayed quite vague.
You are new here and definitely not present during the speculation drama. At that time they were not talking about loading times. They were talking about how the I/O will enable it to load higher quality assets at high settings and will make 3080(because 3090 was not announced) look like medium settings and XSX low settings.
They tend to forget XSX has an SSD as well, it may have probably done this but the loading times would be much longer or the detail of the worlds less to make up the speed of transition, even worse with a mechanical HDD. Imagine waiting 7-10 seconds on a XSX at the same asset and texture quality of the worlds or 20-40 seconds on an mechanical HDD. What was shown in R&C below the 1 second would not work.
Ps5 games will stream high quality assets and models will be more detailed.
Tim Sweeney did say the SSD allows for denser, more detailed environments. A Naughty Dog developer also alluded to it. They're saving memory because not everything has to be kept in ram for immediate access
kWzOKWx.jpg
These quotes are from the first 3 pages of just one thread.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
This is not really the difference some GAFFers made me believe for the last 8 months. And I have heard stuffs like GTA will load instantly.

"Over 200% performance delta, and that isn't even the whole picture considering the custom I/O like decompression block, two coprocessors, SRAM, cache scrubbers etc., the loadings will be instant, virtually non-existent. #GameChangingParadigm #CernyIsAGenius"... Just shows how clueless the SSD warriors are about the entire route the data has to go through before a frame ends up being displayed on your TV, which is perfectly demonstrated in the vid below where an ordinary NVMe drive easily keeps up with the new consoles, sometimes ending up even faster:

I keep saying the consoles went overboard with the SSDs, they already skipped the SATA drives, but on top of that went with speeds which the rest of the components cannot fully utilize. IMO both consoles could have eaily use standard, cheap-ass 1.2-1.8GB/s M.2 drives and it would be absolutely enough, leaving more budget for something else or allowing for slightly cheaper consoles.

Ascend

I mean it could end to have a notable advantage for ps5 in loading time in the future game. Just depends how data is handled by the engine. I don't find extremely crazy expect it. But it's a bit early discuss about it. We are stuck yet to the previous generation.
It's possible. I guess I simply don't find it that relevant. If the loading times were 2 seconds vs 2 minutes it's another story. But even if the PS5 is twice as fast, say, 10 seconds vs 20 seconds, I honestly wouldn't care either way. And with Quick Resume, we also know that it will be less than 10 seconds for pretty much everything anyway.

It's a non-issue.

Mmnow

You are new here and definitely not present during the speculation drama. At that time they were not talking about loading times. They were talking about how the I/O will enable it to load higher quality assets at high settings and will make 3080(because 3090 was not announced) look like medium settings and XSX low settings.

Oh God, I'm getting "Ratchet and Clank won't be possible on Xbox" and "Tim Sweeney said..." flashbacks.

Why do people put themselves through this shit?

geordiemp

If you look at detail in miles morales up close, does it look exactly the same details as Ubisoft models in next gen games. Have you even looked ? Go watch Digital foundry on close up details in miles morales.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I love how we went from "it's just BC games, it's just bottlenecked by old APIs, next-gen games will show a huge difference" to "it's just cross-gen games, they don't optimize the SSD yet and it will become better later".

Let's face it, if there are some optimisations in load times from future 3rd party games I doubt they will be specific to one brand against the other.

There was one poster who was saying he's making a list of everyone saying the load times difference will be insignificant and how he will make them pay for their words or something, this is how I picture him now:

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
On Series X, Valhalla seems to take a pretty long time respawing after death. I wonder how it compares to PS5.

But also going from the XBOX being off to jumping back into Valhalla takes like... 4 seconds.

Last edited:

Resenge

Why couldn't this have been said back in the speculation thread and people could have accepted it and moved on. Instead we got endless pages of how the SSD is going to magically instantenous and that the XSX would perform like a conventional harddrive compared to the PS5. It was so ridiculous. I love it when actual real world results come out and all the wishful thinking gets buried under a rock.
Or when a certain VFX vet said that Sony's Machine was a 9tf instead of 10.28tf machine and got banned for it, ahh good times.

Sony fans are not the only ones here spreading FUD (although there are some mega Sony fanboys), both sides are doing a ton of it, and you have even dabbled in it yourself.

Last edited:

KingDankKush

Neo Member
Wow. That's quite a difference between PS5 and Xbox on Assassin's Creed Valhalla boot-up. Curious if that'll get fixed with a patch.

ZywyPL

Banned

The best part was when some people claimed that RTX 3080 will run games at medium settings compated to PS5, that shit was priceless.

Leyasu

Banned
Well, I should have been more precise. Everyone with 2 working braincells. Plastic warriors were obviously dreaming the everything will load in 2 seconds dream.
Don’t forget that only the SSD in the PlayStation 5 entertainment system has the bandwidth to load high resolution textures too.

Any day now we are going to see it with our own eyes

Lethal01

At that time they were not talking about loading times. They were talking about how the I/O will enable it to load higher quality assets at high settings

Here is a timestamped video of a developer literally confirming that their launch game is doing exactly this..

You gotta accept reality dude. Laughing at the truth helps nobody.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I keep saying the consoles went overboard with the SSDs,

These are not PCs and levels is not driving the design. These systems are fundamentally RAM limited, there was only a 2x increase this gen versus 16x last gen. The fast access to data on the SSD along with compression is to keep the limited RAM pool fed with data. Now with cross gen games they will be designed for 8GB in mind (5GB usable) so it's not really going to matter, but with next gen exclusives and new engines, we are going to expose bottlenecks.

Top Bottom