• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X Native games Load Times Comparison

AmateurPong

Looks like the difference in load times isn't going to be as big as was hyped these past months. The logo skipping bit on PS5 is great though (finally!), hopefully MS adds this feature as well.

This is pretty much what everyone expected. Exclusives will leverage the SSD advantage, multi plats will be about the same.

The real winner here is the feature that removes splash screens that the PS5 has.

Chukhopops

This is pretty much what everyone expected. Exclusives will leverage the SSD advantage, multi plats will be about the same.

The real winner here is the feature that removes splash screens that the PS5 has.
Did I jump to a different timeline?

Even yesterday there were plenty of « you will see huge gaps once next gen games are tested », « BC doesn’t matter », etc.

But I agree with you that 1st party games will show much faster load times and the rest will be within 10-20% at best.

Did I jump to a different timeline?

Even yesterday there were plenty of « you will see huge gaps once next gen games are tested », « BC doesn’t matter », etc.

But I agree with you that 1st party games will show much faster load times and the rest will be within 10-20% at best.
Well, I should have been more precise. Everyone with 2 working braincells. Plastic warriors were obviously dreaming the everything will load in 2 seconds dream.

It's still slow. If Spider-Man and Demon Souls can load within a few seconds, then that means there's more speed these developers can leverage.

Expecting majority of 3P games to perform like 1P games in data loads is pretty unrealistic tbh.

We were also led to believe the series x was going to be the more powerful console with side by sides, gaf told me this as well, but we see how that turned out 💁‍♂️

That's an...interesting...way to look at that particular metric. If you're just using DMC5, I've seen some people jumping to completely ridiculous conclusions being reached, none of which take into account two big factors:

1: The PS5 port was the lead platform

2: MS's SDK has been consistently behind (somewhat stupidly) because they've been retooling it into Gamecore

Like I said before, I wouldn't be surprised if some early 3P multiplats run a bit better on PS5, at least in some settings, due to these factors. But things should start to settle in on that front over the course of the first year or so. And FWIW, outside of some 1P games like Miles Morales and Demon's Souls, very few of the 3P games are leveraging the full suite of data storage I/O...on both systems...

Just look at the significantly reduced load time reductions for TLOU and Until Dawn on PS4, a system with a SATA II interface standard, and those are load times comparable to what we're seeing in BC titles on PS5 and Series X right now, with those systems having significantly better SSD I/O.

In all honestly, I'm expecting the relative parity in data loading between Sony and MS to stay where it is currently, and for 1P titles probably actually be reduced quite a bit, though it might require more work on MS's 1P dev end with smarter coding techniques. Because if PS4 games are able to get such significantly lower load times on just the PS4 (with its outdated SATA II interface), then it should be evident a lot of the data bottleneck I/O issues are in the software stack and file systems, something both Sony and MS are handling their own unique ways.

But I think the gap in storage I/O load times and streaming rates will actually reduce from wherever it is currently going forward, particularly WRT 1P games from both Sony and MS. Certain aspects of whatever "power differential" are present, I think it'll come down once again to 1P games to really leverage that, but even if Series X takes a general lead there, we'll still see some cases where PS5 performs better. It might just be more on a game-by-game basis (similarly when it comes to load times I still expect PS5 games to hold the advantage but the "general" gap will probably stay where it's at currently or shrink a tad, while for 1P games it'll fall within a literal margin of error).

There it is; M.2 wins. PC MASTER RACE REIGNS SUPREME!!!!

Last edited:
No.....no....this can’t be.....

The XsX has a fast SSD too?????????!!???!?!!?

That’s NOT POSSIBLE.....

NO.

NO.....

But.....they said.....

THEY TOLD ME......

giphy.gif

assurdum

Banned
Quick Resume was the real next gen loading after all.
I know, it's time to be realistic. Now any hope to put in the shame the ps5 hardware is gone for the series X, let's bet to the missed features. I joke

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

It's really impressive how close the Series X is after we've heard there would be huge differences for months now. I'm also really impressed with QR, Jedi FO loads instantaneously on my Series X.
Yes, QR is pretty amazing. MS just needs to make sure to fix the issues some games are having with it, and it will be perfect. And the difference between the load times from XSX and PS5 are very little... less than I initially imagined.

assurdum

Banned
No.....no....this can’t be.....

The XsX has a fast SSD too?????????!!???!?!!?

That’s NOT POSSIBLE.....

NO.

NO.....

But.....they said.....

THEY TOLD ME......

giphy.gif
Who cares of better multiplat when you can pridly beat the chest for 2 second of faster loading time! Can you hear me Cerny? You are caught off the guard, you and Sony, pussies lair.
Seriously speaking there is really someone who laugh about to have the same or even a little slower loading on ps5? We have really reached that point?

Last edited:

pasterpl

To load what?
It's like 5 seconds to get to the main menu and then about 2 seconds to load a save.

Here’s how long it took to load into Harlem on:

• PlayStation 4: 1:22.32
  • PlayStation 5: 15.58

dont kill the messenger

Mmnow

dont kill the messenger
It's so frustrating that people are getting upset by the prospect of 15 second load times. FFS, that's amazing.

lingpanda

I have an Xbox One X with an SSD and was blown away with how fast games loaded. Now that I have my Series X I figured it couldn't be that much faster. How wrong I was. Either system is going to pleasantly surprise you.

ethomaz

Banned

dont kill the messenger
"We thought it best to illustrate how long it takes you to get from the game’s icon on the PS4 or PS5 dashboard to actually having control of your character. In some cases, that meant pushing the X or Square buttons a couple times, to get through “continue” screens and the like, which you can rest assured we did as quickly as possible. "

Doing what they described you get about 7-8s max *is is lower most of times*.
I'm not sure what they did there.

PS. I'm not even sure if the game takes that much time on PS4 like it is in the article.

Last edited:

dont kill the messenger

These are the true next gen loading times.

Again, only seen on PS5 as of yet. I hope to see more of this in the future.

Lysandros

Those results are very disappointing and don't seem to really be taking advantage of the hardware. Probably because they're cross-gen games and are designed to load data in an HDD-friendly way. We've seen how quickly PS5 exclusives load (MM, DeS), so...
I agree, that's extremely disappointing. I think Sony should have some kind mandate persuade third party developers to use PS5's (supposed to be) avanced I/O or the results will continue to be somewhat embarassing after all that hype and PR.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Theoretical != practical. Both are excellent compare to last gen. But don't expect lighting fast.

Why couldn't this have been said back in the speculation thread and people could have accepted it and moved on. Instead we got endless pages of how the SSD is going to magically instantenous and that the XSX would perform like a conventional harddrive compared to the PS5. It was so ridiculous. I love it when actual real world results come out and all the wishful thinking gets buried under a rock.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
I agree, that's extremely disappointing. I think Sony should have some kind mandate persuade third party developers to use PS5's (supposed to be) avanced I/O or the results will continue to be somewhat embarassing after all that hype and PR.
"Embarrassing". Sure.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Only PS5 exclusives seem to be impressing.

Graphics and loading.

There's nothing about the exclusives that are magically special than the 3rd party games. You gotta realize that there are more graphics engines that target multiple platforms than any exclusive developer. Unless you are willing to only buy PS5 exclusive games, you need to deal with it. And the graphics are on par to what's being released now. There is no giant leap like you wish.

assurdum

Banned
Why couldn't this have been said back in the speculation thread and people could have accepted it and moved on. Instead we got endless pages of how the SSD is going to magically instantenous and that the XSX would perform like a conventional harddrive compared to the PS5. It was so ridiculous. I love it when actual real world results come out and all the wishful thinking gets buried under a rock.
WTF? Who said that now?

jaysius

Banned
Wow, it's almost like these 2 have equal power and both sides HYPE that CHANGED THE ENTIRE GAME, was just HYPE that in reality they're both PRETTY EVEN.

It's not. Its unreasonable to think third party devs cannot improve load times that are very similar to Spider-Man: MM.

Different games have different design frameworks, which require different coding practices and pipelines. They could also be using different file formats for various textures, models, audio etc. These aren't trivial things.

Not to mention, traditionally 1P devs usually have the best access to resources from both a financial and technical assistance POV. 3P devs usually do not, though it's gotten somewhat better over time and massive 3P devs generally do well on that front.

If you're expecting general 3P load times to hit into the range we're seeing with some 1P games now, you'll have to wait until UE5 is available most likely, though 1P games leveraging that engine will still have an advantage, generally speaking.

dont kill the messenger

Miles might be unoptimized on PS4 and could benefit from an update, seeing there are other PS4 games loading magnitudes quicker (TLOU, Until Dawn) on PS4 now.

Granted those aren't open-world games, but I highly doubt a ton more of data is being loaded for Miles on PS5 compared to PS4. The former only has 2x the RAM footprint (and likely 2 GB of that reserved for the OS, then a portion of remaining 14 GB for non-graphics data).

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned

This is no different than the PC using a fast SSD. There is no performance advantage over HDD unless the developer codes for it. You can't expect every single 3P developer to code specifically for the next-gen consoles AND the PC. Too wasteful.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
That's pure bullshit. No one has ever substained the series X will be slow as HDD. Let's move on to this generic nonsense.

I said that compared to the PS5 they made it seem like it would be a night/day difference. Please don't make me waste time trying to prove a point that has been well advertised several months ago.

Yams

I’m really happy with those load times. Claims of instant loading was obvious hyperbole. Getting them down into the 20 second range is a huge quality of life improvement.

Top Bottom