• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X Native games Load Times Comparison

CobraXT

Banned

Watch Dogs: Legion ''from boot until title screen''
  • PlayStation 5: 21.25 seconds
  • Xbox Series X: 24.32 seconds
Watch Dogs: Legion ''form title screen to gameplay''
  • PlayStation 5: 23.42 seconds
  • Xbox Series X: 26.27 seconds
Dirt 5 ''from boot until the first cinematic scene''
  • PlayStation 5: 23.51 seconds
Dirt 5 ''form select screen to to gameplay''
  • PlayStation 5: 19.20 seconds
  • Xbox Series X: 14.09 seconds
Assassin's Creed Valhalla ''from boot until title screen''
  • PlayStation 5: 15.42 seconds
  • Xbox Series X: 40.30 seconds
Assassin's Creed Valhalla ''form title screen to gameplay''
  • PlayStation 5: 11.34 seconds
  • Xbox Series X: 12.16 seconds

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

tenor.gif

On topic:

Not bad. About what I expected minus that long to menu load on Creed on XSX. With Quick Resume I havent seen a load into a game since I got my XSX. Surprised how well it works.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Watch Dogs: Legion ''from boot until title screen''
  • PlayStation 5: 21.25 seconds
  • Xbox Series X: 24.32 seconds
Watch Dogs: Legion ''form title screen to gameplay''
  • PlayStation 5: 23.42 seconds
Dirt 5 ''from boot until the first cinematic scene''
  • PlayStation 5: 23.51 seconds
Dirt 5 ''form select screen to to gameplay''
  • PlayStation 5: 19.20 seconds
  • Xbox Series X: 14.09 seconds
Assassin's Creed Valhalla ''form title screen to gameplay''
  • PlayStation 5: 11.34 seconds
  • Xbox Series X: 12.16 seconds

Looks like a wash aside from PS5 noticeably faster for the ACV boot to title screen test.

Neo_game

I would say that is pretty disappointing. If they can't improve half a min to 1min is probably going to common soon for initial loading of the game 🤷‍♂️

I bet connection to live or servers involved. Such disparity is odd.

That is because XSX shows logos, Microsoft should have a solution like Sony
Oh, thought so.

Still, not that much difference. But why so slow though? 20 seconds for loading a game? That's a lot.

Last edited:

Lysandros

This is complete nonsense. Apparently PS5's I/O complex burns and curses third party developers who touch it.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Isa

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
That is too high.
Feels last gen.

3rd-parry should rip old gen versions ASAP.
Hard to say, how many 3rd party games were created with SSD in mind, probably not those games, because they are also build for old-gen consoles and old PCs. I expect this to get better with 2nd wave of launch titles. Think like inFamous: Second Son back in the day.

Mmnow

It's still slow. If Spider-Man and Demon Souls can load within a few seconds, then that means there's more speed these developers can leverage.
"THE SPEED OF THE SSD" is more about talented developers cleverly utilising tech rather than mystical raw throughput.

We've had dozens of games with no or few loading screens on a HDD. Those developers can now use those skills with far less need to squeeze so much out of something so bad.

That is true for PlayStation and Xbox.

N30RYU

How can we be sure in any of this... that the game isn't trying to connect to the server and you have something downloading in the background eating all the bandwidth...

I would run those test with the consoles Offline.

Last edited:
Having both of them...I'd say these battles aren't really gonna be worth too much. They're both fast as shit when it comes to loading, and at no point in time this week have I felt like it I was waiting really

In fact when playing Valhalla on Series X I hit start on the game, walked to the kitchen to grab a lighter and was already being attacked before I got back. I remember rolling whole joints and lighting them while waiting for Odyssey to load on the One X...thats my test..can I roll up in time :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Concern

This is not really the difference some GAFFers made me believe for the last 8 months. And I have heard stuffs like GTA will load instantly.

That's not even fair. Do you realize how clueless the guy you’re linking to is? Lol

Load times aren't all as good as expected overall. Maybe they're not taking full advantage of the ssd yet tho.

I remember at first the narrative was no more load times, then to "almost instant", to this.

supernova8

Banned
Having both of them...I'd say these battles aren't really gonna be worth too much. They're both fast as shit when it comes to loading, and at no point in time this week have I felt like it I was waiting really

In fact when playing Valhalla on Series X I hit start on the game, walked to the kitchen to grab a lighter and was already being attacked before I got back. I remember rolling whole joints and lighting them while waiting for Odyssey to load on the One X...thats my test..can I roll up in time :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Yeah I was thinking the same. Sure the PS5s SSD is objectively faster/better than that found in the XSX but when you're going from load times of like a minute or more, I really wonder whether anyone will care about the difference between like 10 seconds and 5 seconds.

If the PS5 can do what it does with Demon's Souls where it's literally no load times but do that in all first party titles, and Xbox cannot? That's when the Jeff Goldblum "Well, there it is" GIF should come out.

Funnily enough I also kinda enjoy load times on GTAV. Pop into the kitchen with just enough time to brew a cup of tea!

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Those results are very disappointing and don't seem to really be taking advantage of the hardware. Probably because they're cross-gen games and are designed to load data in an HDD-friendly way. We've seen how quickly PS5 exclusives load (MM, DeS), so...

Last edited:
Yeah I was thinking the same. Sure the PS5s SSD is objectively faster/better than that found in the XSX but when you're going from load times of like a minute or more, I really wonder whether anyone will care about the difference between like 10 seconds and 5 seconds.

Funnily enough I also kinda enjoy load times on GTAV. Pop into the kitchen with just enough time to brew a cup of tea!
Nobody will care about 5 seconds, which is something easily perceivable and relevant to the user, but they will definitely care about an extra hundred pixels and 5 additional frames a second which require a DF analysis and 10x zoom to demonstrate.

Top Bottom