• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 shipments reach 7.8 Million units as of March 31st, fastest selling console launch aligned Worldwide (PS4 was 7.6M at the same time)

GHG

Gold Member
Early adopters are hard-core and unlikely to go to XSS. This would have been something cool to release this Christmas window with Halo and/or 3 months Gamepass.

MS should have concentrated on XSX first

By the time the casuals are interested in upgrading I suspect the Series X will be cheaper anyway, unless Microsoft want to keep the price artificially high in order to maximise margins.

I'm also uncertain as to whether casuals would be happy with a digital only console. The more casual gamers I know tend to buy physical games and will lend games to one another.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Ouch, that's right, aren't they selling it at a loss because of its expensive SSD?

Both are selling with loss, Xbox more as well, and XSS probably more. The PS5 SSD isn't that expensive as it's using more cheaper modules through more channels to reach 5.5GB/s raw. Retailers have their cut as well, and logistics.

Only BOM we heard about both PS5 being $450 and XSX being around $460-520. No idea about XSS.

skit_data

Them scalpers got huge pockets.

I’ve never even seen a PS5 box.
Here ya go buddy

w1gYaqC.jpg

jts

...hate me...
Even with Nintendo selling more, the normal console market still seems to be thriving. Just goes to show that Nintendo was able to cut themselves off the competition. Ocean is blue again.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I would say people need to analyse this crap as they are. Xbox division for MS is not that important when it comes to disclosing numbers to shareholders. Just yesterday i had a meeting about crap like this at the company where i work, and some of the divisions there were no numbers whatsoever to be presented, it doesn't mean they're hiding it, it's just not that important as of now. One of them was electrical mobility which is being developed. For MS, Office alone is brutal when compared to Xbox. Playstation for Sony, is very important and it shows.
So back when they reported those numbers the Xbox division was important and now it is not that important anymore? What argument is that?

It is more “similar” to why Apple stopped reporting iOS devices unit sales IMHO, they want to de emphasise data that does not fit with their marketing message/strategy and/or that does not look as positive as they want it to sound.

Last edited:

rolandss

Everyone buying one (me included who bought one about a month ago) will quickly realise that right now it’s not worth having. There’s no games. All I play on it are PS4 games, some of which are a worse experience on the console (I am looking at you Modern Warfare which is currently totally broken thanks to incomprehensible way it keeps deleting data needed to actually play the game).

Hardware sales, ps5 sales, exclusive game sales blah blah blah…. Sony earns money from…..

WAIT FOR IT

DLCs stake from big 3rd party games. As from the stuff it produces most money are coming from PSPlus.

CB735-B6-C-429-E-4-AB2-AA0-E-4-E156-AFB42-E9.jpg
Yeah but you need actual console and games for you to buy that DLC and PS plus. Once you have it, of course it’s constant and safe cash flow.

ethomaz

Banned

Retail software is only 5% of the total revenue. Holy crap.

It is net revenue.

So it doesn’t account the part that goes to publisher and retail... basically only the Sony cut is accounted... while in Digital Sony get an addictions 30% cut (the retail cut to be fair).

Plus Retail is cheaper than digital and there several more digital only titles than retail launch.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
That's A LOT of consoles, which only means the whole scalping thing is much larger than I could ever imagine... Really, with such pace, if all those consoles went straight to actual people, the cross-gen period could've ended within just a year.
Scalper or no scalpers won’t change anything in these numbers lol
Actually it is not possible to claim if there are scalpers or not with these numbers.

What are you talking exactly?

Last edited:
It is net revenue.

So it doesn’t account the part that goes to publisher and retail... basically only the Sony cut is accounted... while in Digital Sony get an addictions 30% cut (the retail cut to be fair).

Plus Retail is cheaper than digital and there several more digital only titles than retail launch.
He calls it net revenue, but he means net sales (and correctly writes net sales in the chart). My point still stands.

G-Bus

Banned
Damn thing sells out within 5 minutes of being in stock online. Really starting question if I'll even be able to get one this year.

Had an opportunity or two right near launch and decided to wait. Fuck.

Yeah but you need actual console and games for you to buy that DLC and PS plus. Once you have it, of course it’s constant and safe cash flow.
And this is why console hardware sales matter. It is the foundation on which the entire business plan depends on.

You don't SEE the foundations of your house. You might even feel you don't need it. But do without it and you are going to lose your home in the next minor flash flood. Without hardware sales, there is no console gaming period.

Hardware sales, ps5 sales, exclusive game sales blah blah blah….The main source of earning for Sony are from……………..

WAIT FOR IT

DLCs stake from big 3rd party games. As from the stuff it produces most money are coming from PSPlus.

CB735-B6-C-429-E-4-AB2-AA0-E-4-E156-AFB42-E9.jpg

That’s the direction gaming has gone. They’re doing it best. Sony has done an incredible job staying on top in the console market. Nobody has been able to sustain their level of success for this long in the console market.

ethomaz

Banned
When you answer a legitimate question with console war bullshit you are acting like a fanboy.
Yes, Microsoft doing that is bad. It's worse than Sony because they even mix their games with other products on the same division BUT Sony not giving numbers of PS5 software is critizable too.
There is a reason for that.
You can be buying PS4 software on PS5.
Plus if the game has a next-gen free patch you will consider it a PS4 or PS5 purchase?

But I agree it could be cool to have some kind of differentiation.

Last edited:

Loope

So back when they reported those numbers the Xbox division was important and now it is not that important anymore? What argument is that?

It is more “similar” to why Apple stopped reporting iOS devices unit sales IMHO, they want to de emphasise data that does not fit with their marketing message/strategy and/or that does not look as positive as they want it to sound.
Yes, i meant it like that. If the numbers are not impressive for a fraction of the business they won't report it. That's what happened in my company. I'm sure that if the numbers rise they will be on the report. Some companies group it with oither stuff, others report everything and others just don't. For example, Sony did it with the Vaio line. I don't think it is that huge of an investment to justify hiding it, when compared to the whole MS as a business company. Don't remember how they did it with the phone line (Lumia) but i remember people talking about it.

Last edited:

Alan Wake

Yeah up here in Sweden there are no Xbox Series X to be found either, it’s not quite as rare as PS5 but it’s sold our everywhere. I managed to snag one at launch though.

But Xbox Series S is everywhere. Seems like it was a bad idea unless they can lower the price further and tap into the casual market. As of right now few seems to want it.

According to Phil Spencer this is pretty much to be expected. Early adopters buy the Series X, the Series S is a Game Pass box for the casual market and they expect it to sell better than the Series X down the line (pretty much like One S vs One X, although they didn't launch simultaneously). We'll just have to wait and see. If Spencer's wrong, then the Series S is a bit of a miscalculation, I think.

dorkimoe

E0CiSjyXoAUrVhd

BTW Returnal launches tomorrow.
Software is not a issue on PS5 side... it keep being released frequently.
So 3 games that are on previous gen and an expansion.
im not even trying to flame or troll. I have a ps5 and an xsx. Their is no game that people need to be rushing out to get either console right now was my point. I’m really looking forward to returnal, that’s the first next gen game to me. Just seems weird the console is this popular with no software that’s a must have or even an exclusive to that system

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
When you answer a legitimate question with console war bullshit you are acting like a fanboy.
In fairness - when you have 1:1 BC, separating the sw-shipments between 'previous/current gen' isn't really a data point that offers any meaningful value/answers.
Ultimately this is one where MS argument is really valid - tracking active users per platform is far more meaningful/interesting than 'platform compatible purchases'.

Ie. there's a good chance PS4 active userbase is significantly declined and bulk of active purchases (PS4 or PS5 versions) are now from PS5 users - but we just don't know for sure. None of the platform holders are telling us that bit.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
So 3 games that are on previous gen and an expansion.
im not even trying to flame or troll. I have a ps5 and an xsx. Their is no game that people need to be rushing out to get either console right now was my point. I’m really looking forward to returnal, that’s the first next gen game to me. Just seems weird the console is this popular with no software that’s a must have or even an exclusive to that system
I'm not sure what are you saying... there is CoD and a lot of others games on PS5.
People doesn't buy consoles only for exclusives.

dorkimoe

I'm not sure what are you saying... there is CoD and a lot of others games on PS5.
People doesn't buy consoles only for exclusives.
But you don’t need a ps5 to play anything you’ve mentioned is all. I’m just saying people who can’t get one and are freaking out don’t need to be

"How do console launches work?"

If you are complaining there are only 3 games available for a new console.... have you ever seen a new console release???

What is with people pretending they don't understand that early console generations are slow going? Are you pretending you don't know how console launches usually work, or are you really ignorant of the matter?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
But you don’t need a ps5 to play anything you’ve mentioned is all. I’m just saying people who can’t get one and are freaking out don’t need to be
And? I mean you don't need to have a PS5 to play most of the games but if the guy wants to play on PS5? I mean see my example it is PS5 for me because PC or others consoles are not an option and I really don't want to play my games on PS4 anymore (in fact I retired my PS4 after PS5 unboxed).

The PS5 advantages even this early just make the PS4 a no go machine for me.

I can use the phone example... do you need a new phone? No, but I try to buy a new one each 2-3 years...
Or a car... do you need a new car? No, but I try to buy a new car each 2 years... I don't like to have to deal with the issues of a old car... I'm actually holding to buy a new car because I'm building a new house for us (my car is 2018... 3 years old that is already passed the time to sell it and get a new one... I too needs new car with bigger thunk and isofix in the middle of the back car seat - mine only has on the sides - because we will have a new baby soon).

Last edited:

The PS5 saved my life

If I had to continue playing on the PS4 Pro i'd be bleeding in a bath tub a long time ago

ethomaz

Banned
The PS5 saved my life

If I had to continue playing on the PS4 Pro i'd be bleeding in a bath tub a long time ago
I know you are making a joke but the truth is... it is really hard to go back to PS4 after PS5.

It is a fun experience that everybody should try themselves.

Last edited:

onesvenus

There is a reason for that.
You can be buying PS4 software on PS5.
Plus if the game has a next-gen free patch you will consider it a PS4 or PS5 purchase?

But I agree it could be cool to have some kind of differentiation.
There's also a reason why Microsoft does what it does. That doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for more transparency though

I know you are making a joke but the truth is... it is really hard to go back to PS4 after PS5.

It is a fun experience that everybody should try themselves.

Half joking lol I agree with you

Even if we didn't get Demon's Souls, Miles Sackboy or Returnal i'd still jump straight on to the PS5 just for the better framerates, amazing IQ and to get away from that fucking jet engine

The amazing launch games and upcoming exclusives are just icing on the cake

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
Even with Nintendo selling more, the normal console market still seems to be thriving. Just goes to show that Nintendo was able to cut themselves off the competition. Ocean is blue again.
True, I've been seeing a steady flow of consoles from Nintendo even though they sell out very quickly. I work in retail and I can tell you once we put the Switch in the glass case, they tend to sell out by the end of the day or the next two days. At one point in our store, we did not have any Switches for 5 months since the pandemic started.

mckmas8808

Banned
Well using the same MS weird metrics.

Sony had around 441% increase year over year in hardware revenue.

Do you know what Xbox's increase was year over year in hardware?

"How do console launches work?"

If you are complaining there are only 3 games available for a new console.... have you ever seen a new console release???

What is with people pretending they don't understand that early console generations are slow going? Are you pretending you don't know how console launches usually work, or are you really ignorant of the matter?

Plus there's WAAAAY more than 3 games. Sony gave one out for free and it's great!

maxresdefault.jpg

fHwV3PXKAUzvDSZCG9cjfM.jpg

Top Bottom