• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 shipments reach 7.8 Million units as of March 31st, fastest selling console launch aligned Worldwide (PS4 was 7.6M at the same time)

MetalSlug

It depends from country to country, I would say that in Japan mobile gaming has already made the consoles kind of irrelevant. I am living in Japan, but am forced to play mostly mobile games (for me Switch), because the culture here is different. A majority of people commute to work here using trains or buses and here in Japan a very long commuting time its very common. I myself need to commute nearly 2 hours one way and many people have even longer commuting times. So you nearly have no free time at home and therefore gaming time is mainly restricted to the commuting times, where you only have the choice between your phone or switch.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to play more console games, but for me and many other Japanese it's not a real option.

In America or other countries people tend to commute more by car and if not, they have mostly a shorter commuting time, where it's not really worth to play. So for the foreseeable future I cannot see consoles getting irrelevant, because they will always be more powerful than mobile phones due to the different sizes.
I'd hate to have to travel long distances to work.

I'm exactly 7 minutes in the car from my house to work.

Where is the post saying that Sony is hiding information by grouping PS4 and PS5 software sales?
Just joking but yesterday's Microsoft post was full of those.
Both Sony threads have been refreshingly salt-free (mostly). Xbox threads on the other hand...

Gossip We Dont Talk About That GIF by OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network

Fredrik

A co-worker has one, that’s how far I’ve come. Was sent to him directly from Sony as a deal when he bought a Sony phone. I’ve given up on finding one, I haven’t even for one second seen one in stock at a store, still not sure it has ever actually been for sale in stores here in Sweden, some stores are arranging lottieries though so I don’t know. I’m guessing a slim revision are years away but maybe it’s possible to get a PSVR2 bundle next year.

ZywyPL

Banned
That's A LOT of consoles, which only means the whole scalping thing is much larger than I could ever imagine... Really, with such pace, if all those consoles went straight to actual people, the cross-gen period could've ended within just a year.

killatopak

Gold Member
That's A LOT of consoles, which only means the whole scalping thing is much larger than I could ever imagine... Really, with such pace, if all those consoles went straight to actual people, the cross-gen period could've ended within just a year.
eh...

Scalpers are such as small issue in the grand scheme of things. The bigger hurdle is the supply.

NikuNashi

It depends from country to country, I would say that in Japan mobile gaming has already made the consoles kind of irrelevant. I am living in Japan, but am forced to play mostly mobile games (for me Switch), because the culture here is different. A majority of people commute to work here using trains or buses and here in Japan a very long commuting time its very common. I myself need to commute nearly 2 hours one way and many people have even longer commuting times. So you nearly have no free time at home and therefore gaming time is mainly restricted to the commuting times, where you only have the choice between your phone or switch.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to play more console games, but for me and many other Japanese it's not a real option.

In America or other countries people tend to commute more by car and if not, they have mostly a shorter commuting time, where it's not really worth to play. So for the foreseeable future I cannot see consoles getting irrelevant, because they will always be more powerful than mobile phones due to the different sizes.

I live in Tokyo, have been teleworking since April 2020 due to my company being responsible and not wanting to endanger their staff. Plenty of time to play consoles (PS5 owner). Demand for PS5 is insane, yamadadenki and yodabashi camera still doing lotteries to be given a chance to even buy a PS5 demand massively outstripping supply.

killatopak

Gold Member
But they shipped 8MLN consoles within just 4 months, so the supply clearly isn't the issue here.
Supply is the issue EVERYWHERE. From GPUs to CPUs to Consoles. You know, due to covid, crypto and such.

People wouldn’t be scalping if the supply could meet the demand. Why buy from a scalper when I can buy one from a store?

It’s basic supply and demand. For example, you think Yeezy and Jordans would be scalped as much if there were more of them produced and they aren’t limited in supply? Limited editions are scalped because they are limited.

nani17

are in a big trouble
Not trying to stir console war bs but I've seen far more series X consoles in cex windows then I have ps5 in. One of my local stores has three sitting in the window for awhile now. I wonder why that is?

It may pick up when some exclusives like halo or a Bethesda title drops

killatopak

Gold Member
Not trying to stir console war bs but I've seen far more series X consoles in cex windows then I have ps5 in. One of my local stores has three sitting in the window for awhile now. I wonder why that is?

Not trying to stir up console war. Stirs up console war anyway. Lol

I do agree though that it will pick up. Console sales usually surge up during E3 and if MS has some bangers announced there, it could be just what the doctor ordered.

nani17

are in a big trouble
Not trying to stir up console war. Stirs up console war anyway. Lol

I do agree though that it will pick up. Console sales usually surge up during E3 and if MS has some bangers announced there, it could be just what the doctor ordered.
Honestly it's not mean to be but it did surprise me to be honest. Hopefully E3 we'll somehow good titles

ripeavocado

Banned
2020 has been a disaster for PS4

I guess Sony doesn't care about having higher numbers there and is moving all its efforts to PS5

MrA

Banned
Imagine stock was flowing normally wow.

Congrats Sony keep killing it so i can get more exclusives ;)
If supply was normal and there weren't lockdowns and the pandemic demand would likely be lower, ps5 benefitted from increased demand due to the pandemic just like every console. If lockdowns continue through the summer the PlayStation 5 will probably continue to be the fastest-selling console, but if lockdowns all end I think we'll see lowered sales for all consoles including the ps5
I still stand by saying the ps5 will be more or less in line with the ps4 (+/- 10% of the ps4s total during the lifetime of the console)

MrA

Banned
2020 has been a disaster for PS4

I guess Sony doesn't care about having higher numbers there and is moving all its efforts to PS5
manufacturing is limited, ps4 saw a demand spike due to the pandemic, but if the choice is between more ps4s or more ps5s getting as large of an installed base as possible for the new hardware has more benefits, plus given the complete back-compatibility software won't be hit by less new ps4s

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Where is the post saying that Sony is hiding information by grouping PS4 and PS5 software sales?
Just joking but yesterday's Microsoft post was full of those.

Here, page 7:

sony-FY2021.png

By the end of this fiscal year (March 31st, 2021) they've made only 342.192B yen ($3.141B) net profit out of 2,656.278B yen ($24.385B). That means they've spent 21.244B.

Can you provide transparent results from Microsoft about Xbox?

Last edited:

Three

Why are they forecasting a decrease in sales of non-first-party titles and add-on content? That seems weird.
Maybe they are expecting third parties to go next-gen only and not being able to keep up?
My guess would be that they have less third parties next year and a lot of them would go services only too. People can't see it but the writing is on the wall.

onesvenus

Here, page 7:

sony-FY2021.png

By the end of this fiscal year (March 31st, 2021) they've made only 342.192B yen ($3.141B) net profit out of 2,656.278B yen ($24.385B). That means they've spent 21.244B.

Can you provide transparent results from Microsoft about Xbox?
When you answer a legitimate question with console war bullshit you are acting like a fanboy.
Yes, Microsoft doing that is bad. It's worse than Sony because they even mix their games with other products on the same division BUT Sony not giving numbers of PS5 software is critizable too.

Three

Covid effect delaying games to later periods maybe?
Maybe that too but that would affect first party as well whereas they are estimating that it won't. More that there are less and less games releasing from big third parties because they are slowly moving to service type games and releasing less games to buy. There is also more freedom (less of a cut) in terms of add on content i.e you can buy from other stores or websites for the games where they do not get a cut.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
My issue with the way Microsoft does their financial reports it comes off just showing growth. But that growth also includes certain things not directly related to gaming.

They did this a while back because for the longest time when they did financials that were seperate division wise Xbox showed a lot of negative numbers when looking at operating costs, software sales, monthly subs. Then they started doing MAU as a way to show growth instead of numbers.

In my opinion its almost like stock manipulation. Because their growth sector shows net positive even if revenue doesnt cover operating costs.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

I think you're not in the US, or they'll be snatched.

Loope

Fair point, but is it really a cause of wonder that the company disclosing more data has less accusations of hiding info than the company that stopped reporting on some data/disclosed less?
I would say people need to analyse this crap as they are. Xbox division for MS is not that important when it comes to disclosing numbers to shareholders. Just yesterday i had a meeting about crap like this at the company where i work, and some of the divisions there were no numbers whatsoever to be presented, it doesn't mean they're hiding it, it's just not that important as of now. One of them was electrical mobility which is being developed. For MS, Office alone is brutal when compared to Xbox. Playstation for Sony, is very important and it shows.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

They are producing 1.5 million a month, I'm not going to consider this a stock issue, it's a demand issue. Sony or MS are not going to set up further capacity just to shut it down in a year when you finally see some on the shelves.

Well imagine what the numbers would be if the demands were met lol

Fredrik

I think you're not in the US, or they'll be snatched.
Yeah up here in Sweden there are no Xbox Series X to be found either, it’s not quite as rare as PS5 but it’s sold our everywhere. I managed to snag one at launch though.

But Xbox Series S is everywhere. Seems like it was a bad idea unless they can lower the price further and tap into the casual market. As of right now few seems to want it.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Yeah up here in Sweden there are no Xbox Series X to be found either, it’s not quite as rare as PS5 but it’s sold our everywhere. I managed to snag one at launch though.

But Xbox Series S is everywhere. Seems like it was a bad idea unless they can lower the price further and tap into the casual market. As of right now few seems to want it.
Early adopters are hard-core and unlikely to go to XSS. This would have been something cool to release this Christmas window with Halo and/or 3 months Gamepass.

MS should have concentrated on XSX first

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

I think both underestimated the market. They could've gotten away with $600 console and slightly higher specs. The prices of smartphones have change our spending behavior, I guess.

Top Bottom