• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 sales hit $3.8 billion within months, selling over eight million units

Zones

Why does everyone hate on VG Chartz? They have been doing this for almost 2 decades now and their numbers are pretty much always way off.

They estimate sometimes but it’s normally a good educated guess based on 0 source.

Show me another website that has the guesstimates that VG Chartz does?

I just don’t get it. Did they fuck up once and just get railed on since?
Fixed for you.
cFpTsg0.jpg

:messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

yurinka

Why does everyone hate on VG Chartz?
Because they always made up their numbers, they are just fanboy guesses based on nothing. The only numbers they get remotely right are the public ones reported by the companies on their quarterly reports, from NPD or Japan.

On top of that, regarding platform holders they always have been clearly biased saying one of them sold way under what later the company reported and others way above what the company later reported. They are a joke.

Example: in this case we know PS5 sold 7.8 Million units as of March 31st in 4 months and a half. Since then, with them trying to ramp up production and still selling out in minutes each new batch worldwide, according to VGChartz they sold under a million. That's a joke, they obviously must have sold way more. We also know that ~75% (not sure now, may be wrong but they publicly mentioned the number of their SKUs is the expensive one. Regarding MS, we know Sony sells around 2x or even more than MS. As always, it isn't the case for VGChartz, when we get to see real numbers we always notice they thought MS and Nintendo had higher sales than the real ones (the opposite than with Sony).

Last edited:

Zones

Nothing of note really and I meant no ill intention by the way.

I just remembered the back and forth you used to have with the mods and staff regarding their numbers even back then.

Good times I guess, but speaking for myself, I think spending my time on these forums have essentially become a waste of valuable time and I intend to practically move on from engaging with the comments in its entirety.

ethomaz

Banned
Nothing of note really and I meant no ill intention by the way.

I just remembered the back and forth you used to have with the mods and staff regarding their numbers even back then.

Good times I guess, but speaking for myself, I think spending my time on these forums have essentially become a waste of valuable time and I intend to practically move on from engaging with the comments in its entirety.
I did like the community there and have a lot for online friends… I did several threads with actual data to help they fix they own guesstimate… I did even made a breakdown with all public data by country.

Sadly I had a issue with the mods there and choose to expose them to the community that got my perm ban… after some years they removed my perna but I said that I didn’t want to back and they back it saying it was a system error.

To be fair there are maybe several years I do not open the forum there… it made me sad when I’m trying to find some official sales data and some sites pass VGC data as official.

Last edited:

Tsukumo

"selling"...
Is that the proper word for letting scalpers all over the world take advantage of the situation?

Zones

... and some sites pass VGC data as official.
But what about the likes of SuperData (defunct now thankfully) and NewZoo?

The figures / estimates from these sites are nothing except gigantic made up BS, but somehow we get reports from these sites and people & websites all across the industry pass it on like some sort of gospel.

What irks me the most is false made up nonsense being passed on as facts, but we disappointingly see it everywhere and there's unfortunately not really much we can do about it.

Best for me to get as far away from all this craziness and let the world function the way it does.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I have trouble trusting the data of a site that claims the average sale price is $449, indicating that they think the digital sold more than the disk.

I didn't think Sony produced anywhere near the same amount of DE's.. but maybe that's wrong?

edit: hahah they use VGChartz? lol

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

The figures / estimates from these sites are nothing except gigantic made up BS, but somehow we get reports from these sites and people & websites all across the industry pass it on like some sort of gospel.

What irks me the most is false made up nonsense being passed on as facts, but we disappointingly see it everywhere and there's unfortunately not really much we can do about it.

Best for me to get as far away from all this craziness and let the world function the way it does.
SuperData was pretty bad too.
NewZoo I never heard about.

IntentionalPun

"selling"...
Is that the proper word for letting scalpers all over the world take advantage of the situation?
Yes, scalpers bought all 8 million PS5s.

ALL

OF

THEM

But since there's only evidence of a couple hundred thousands selling online, that must mean they are hoarding them, for the great console war.

IntentionalPun

SuperData was run by Nielson, who people take as gospel for TV ratings.. when it's also an estimate based on basically polling (although it does actually monitor the habits of people who put devices in their homes, it's still a representative sample.)

These companies exist because the data isn't public info most of the time, and they hope that estimating it can make them money somehow (by providing insights for people who would be willing to pay for them.)

They aren't always accurate, but at least SuperData was owned by a legit company that does use basic polling science.

Zones

SuperData was pretty bad too.
NewZoo I never heard about.
I call them modern snake oil merchants (of data)...

Newzoo calls itself "the world's most trusted source for games and esports analytics and market research. No matter your goals, our insights and expertise can help you make data-driven decisions, quickly."

And then they go on to sell that 'super duper reliable' data via subscription for teams and enterprises.

SuperData was run by Nielson, who people take as gospel for TV ratings.. when it's also an estimate based on basically polling (although it does actually monitor the habits of people who put devices in their homes, it's still a representative sample.)

These companies exist because the data isn't public info most of the time, and they hope that estimating it can make them money somehow (by providing insights for people who would be willing to pay for them.)

They aren't always accurate, but at least SuperData was owned by a legit company that does use basic polling science.
Snake oil merchants can even fool seasoned players sometimes, and that seems to have been the case with Superdata.

Basically they made up shit from the get go, but they gave themselves the appearance of pros just through their masterful presentation on their website in order to make them come across as legit.

This seemingly led to even fool Nielson as they actually acquired Superdata back in 2018, only to close it down a few years later when they realized they were con artists and no one was paying hard earned money for fake data.

But it doesn't matter, the Superdata guys surely made out like bandits through the sale.

IntentionalPun

Basically they made up shit from the get go, but they gave themselves the appearance of pros just through their masterful presentation on their website in order to make them come across as legit.

This seemingly led to even fool Nielson as they actually acquired Superdata back in 2018, only to close it down a few years later when they realized they were con artists and no one was paying hard earned money for fake data.

But it doesn't matter, the Superdata guys surely made out like bandits through the sale.

Yes, I'm sure Nielson, a data and analytics company, was hoodwinked by Superdata lol

They bought them for their methodology, which Nielson would have vetted.. and is likely still using, as they absorbed it into their main business last year.

You are just being really dramatic about the fact that sales estimation companies exist, without even knowing how inaccurate they are, what their methodology is, etc. Nielson is certainly wrong sometimes, but why in the world does it matter to you?

The data exists for industry folks/investors, not for gamers.

Derktron

Banned
Either someone is doing the numbers wrong or someone is making dirty money with the products for the PS5. Many still do not have a PS5. I DO NOT HAVE ONE YET!!! SO HOW THE BLOODY HELL IS THIS POSSIBLE.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Why does everyone hate on VG Chartz? They have been doing this for almost 2 decades now and their numbers are pretty much always bang on.

They estimate sometimes but it’s normally a good educated guess based on their sources.

Show me another website that has the tracking and details that VG Chartz does?

I just don’t get it. Did they fuck up once and just get railed on since?
I remember the PS3 numbers always being low, never touching the 360 and PS fans was very vocal about them not being accurate.
And it came as a nasty surprise to some when it wasn't how it seemed and you know how that ended
Hence people hate VGchartz

VCAwe

Neo Member
"According to data acquired by Finbold, Sony’s PlayStation 5 has generated an estimated $3.8 billion in revenue from selling about 8.6 million consoles with an average price of $449.99 per unit. Microsoft’s Xbox Series X/S revenue stands at an estimated $2.04 billion globally, selling 5.12 million units at an estimated $399.99 per console price. Cumulatively, both consoles generated revenue of about $5.92 billion."

Who thought these idiots math?

Probably the same person that taught you English. :messenger_sunglasses:

Spidey Fan

Banned
For a console that has no 1st games, selling 5m is nice. it just shows that exclusive dont really sell consoles. or else, people wouldn't bought the xbox that much. I hope people realise this fud notion about how 1st party games sells the console. it really doesnt. people just want to play the new thing. that is all. we arent in the past anymore, where exclusive were selling the consoles. we have new generation of gamers, who have friends to play with. and since gaming isnt taboo anymore, people can buy consoles to have fun in gaming.

IntentionalPun

For a console that has no 1st games, selling 5m is nice. it just shows that exclusive dont really sell consoles. or else, people wouldn't bought the xbox that much. I hope people realise this fud notion about how 1st party games sells the console. it really doesnt. people just want to play the new thing. that is all. we arent in the past anymore, where exclusive were selling the consoles. we have new generation of gamers, who have friends to play with. and since gaming isnt taboo anymore, people can buy consoles to have fun in gaming.
This is silly.. Sony sold way more consoles last gen, and judging by the sales of their 1st party lineup.. and.. basic logic, it was in part due to their exclusives.

MS is selling consoles right now in part to THEIR console exclusives coming at a later date.

They aren't the only thing that sell consoles.. but.. exclusives sell consoles.

Now why gamers care so much about sales is beyond me.. they both sell more than enough to get great software support, and both run 3rd party games really well.. both have competitive online services.. both have sub services. All with different pluses and minuses.. buy what you prefer.. or buy both.. or don't buy at all..

But please, for the love of God.. some of you need to tell a therapist how much you care about whether your choice in gaming toy sells more than the other one.

Last edited:

Spidey Fan

Banned
This is silly.. Sony sold way more consoles last gen, and judging by the sales of their 1st party lineup.. and.. basic logic, it was in part due to their exclusives.

MS is selling consoles right now in part to THEIR console exclusives coming at a later date.

They aren't the only thing that sell consoles.. but.. exclusives sell consoles.

Now why gamers care so much about sales is beyond me.. they both sell more than enough to get great software support, and both run 3rd party games really well.. both have competitive online services.. both have sub services. All with different pluses and minuses.. buy what you prefer.. or buy both.. or don't buy at all..

But please, for the love of God.. some of you need to tell a therapist how much you care about whether your choice in gaming toy sells more than the other one.
this is just me taking a jap at the people who keep screaming about how exclusives sold consoles. In reality it doesnt. people generally like gaming, and they prefer certain console than the other. something that is hard to swallow for some people. They are still cling on the nation that their brand sold more, because of the epic games it had, while ignoring people who just want to play games with their pals. 2014 kids where in the middle school. now they are college student. They have their friends, and they like to play games with them.

I am happy that both consoles are selling good. this means more games down the line, compared to the last gen. We are getting avowed from the makers of the fallout Vegas, and fable from forza horizon makers. Its the new age of the unexpected talent. i am glad i get to experience talents from both sides. Ratchet was testimony, what next gen games would look like. hope we get something like those down the line.

IntentionalPun

it doesnt. people generally like gaming, and they prefer certain console than the other.

Nobody denies that people sometimes choose a console preference regardless of exclusives; it's truly bizarre to claim that many/most people aren't choosing consoles over exclusives though.

Like you said, people generally like gaming.. so therefor.. the games they have access to, are often going to matter.. and effect their purchase decision lol

You've proven nothing with your point either way, as MS has announced exclusives.. and people buying consoles right now, despite a lack of exclusives, could be buying them for these later in time exclusives. Just like there are people buying PS5s for the same reason.

Last edited:

Spidey Fan

Banned
Nobody denies that people sometimes choose a console preference regardless of exclusives; it's truly bizarre to claim that many/most people aren't choosing consoles over exclusives though.

Like you said, people generally like gaming.. so therefor.. the games they have access to, are often going to matter.. and effect their purchase decision lol

You've proven nothing with your point either way, as MS has announced exclusives.. and people buying consoles right now, despite a lack of exclusives, could be buying them for these later in time exclusives. Just like there are people buying PS5s for the same reason.
I might have taken a little bit too far, sorry about that. Its mix of both. Some do for exclusive, others just want to experience owning new console.

longdi

Banned
Such sales, dont make sense to X-gen until after 2023.

With how long big budget games need, games designed around zen2 cpu may take too long

Spidey Fan

Banned
Such sales, dont make sense to X-gen until after 2023.

With how long big budget games need, games designed around zen2 cpu may take too long
With gamepass, i wonder if Microsoft will focus on xbox in the long rune. Xcloud is basically a mini xbox console at this point.

Spidey Fan

Banned
"According to data acquired by Finbold, Sony’s PlayStation 5 has generated an estimated $3.8 billion in revenue from selling about 8.6 million consoles with an average price of $449.99 per unit. Microsoft’s Xbox Series X/S revenue stands at an estimated $2.04 billion globally, selling 5.12 million units at an estimated $399.99 per console price. Cumulatively, both consoles generated revenue of about $5.92 billion."

Who thought these idiots math?
Bound went to the space, yen went to the sea. Australia went to the jungle, and Africa went to Sahara. and last but not the least, Usd went to scalpers.

That is how fun that data is. The console sales on other countries is basically 1 and quarter of what Americans pay. That alone should discredit their math.

Spidey Fan

Banned
PS5 is fastest selling console, yet they still use shortage as excuse and make cross-gen games
The chargers are hazard to the environment, so we wont include it with your new iPhone. Here is your new charger cable, with nicely wrapped box. that would be $29.99 sir. The story of apple, trying to maximize their profit.

Anyone who believes these companies crap is to blame himself. Hell, spencer himself mastered the art of calming his base. He does good job of acquiring new studios for his company, and increase their talents pool. but, when that man speaks, he speaks the highest level of bullshit sales man, and i keep falling for his words. Maybe he learned persuasion from Tod Howard.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Either someone is doing the numbers wrong or someone is making dirty money with the products for the PS5. Many still do not have a PS5. I DO NOT HAVE ONE YET!!! SO HOW THE BLOODY HELL IS THIS POSSIBLE.

You know that 8 million PS5 =/= 114 million PS4. So while 8M this early is impressive, it still means the install base is relatively small.

BlackTron

PS5 is fastest selling console, yet they still use shortage as excuse and make cross-gen games
Are they really using that as an excuse? I think that stuff is made up by fans...IMO they are simply releasing games for PS4, with no explanation given to us, and the reason is because PS4 has a massive user base of potential customers. Just because PS5 is best selling of all time doesn't mean it can suddenly replace the utterly MASSIVE ps4 business.

If 50% of PS5 owners bought Ghost of Tsushima as a PS5 exclusive game, they still would not even have sold HALF the number it did while available on PS4 with an attach rate around 4-5%.

If you release an exclusive game on PS5, 100% of PS5 owners would need to buy it, for you to reach the same sales as 5% of PS4 owners buying it. I remember Mario 64 and BOTW having 1:1 attach rates (earlier on in the systems' lives). Not many titles go there.

As a publisher, if you were to release a game THAT successful on PS5 that literally every single PS5 owner bought it, you'd probably be wondering if it was reaaaally a game that couldn't have been cross-gen, wondering how many PS4 owners would have wanted it too.

It's not like SNES to N64, where there was a paradigm shift in how games were made and the tech behind them, or even like the advent of HD consoles that had capabilities far beyond their 3D predecessors. The concessions that have to be made to make a cross gen game today, just don't add up to enough for a publisher to give up 500%+ of the game's sales performance. The market isn't ready.

I HATE how Sony is trying to play both sides of this though. "PS5 exclusive game with also a PS4 version!"

Bryank75

Banned
PS5 was at 7.8 million at the end of March, that is from the official investor relations information.

So, they are low-balling that by about a million or so.

Zeroing

Banned
No they aren’t using that as an excuse but make sense to be cross gen because there’s a large user base.

people still didn’t realize that Sony right now is trying to make their studios grow!
Releases on pc, cross gen games… more money studios get.

if the studios grow… more teams, more games more IPs

Am I the only one seeing this as positive?

Top Bottom