• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 Reveal Event now looks to be June 4th

DonJorginho

Banned
Is Resogun 2 a possibility?

I don't speak for anyone but myself here, but I really hope a Housemarque title isn't one of the big games at launch for the PS5, nothing against them and they make some fun titles but they've never really gripped me for more than half an hour and I personally haven't seen why they're more deserving of a takeover than other studios out there right now.

However if they're a lesser title in a large lineup for launch I'll be more than happy to give it a go.

Eanox

I just want games. It’s been 3 years since Sony announce a big game.
Hopefully we get an information on June 2.

Reactions: Isa

DonJorginho

Banned
Yeah, for example Nintendo had to silence them from reporting leaks. So it sounded like they were getting direct info from somewhere.

Yeah, out of all the "insiders" to cover things right now this account is the one that makes me think we're onto something along with Grubb.

It pisses me off that guessing merchants like Foxy, Tidux and others get fanbases off spindling lies and using other people's news as their own.

In Sabi we trust.

Tell that to the GAF members that keep posting these wannabe insiders tweets in this thread.

Just look at the above amazing examples: Tidux, Iron Man and Reddit (lol)
Excusez-moi monsieur, but can you dance like that? You need to show him more respect 'key (from Cartman's point of view at least, and no don't ask him about PS5, he's a XBOX dude).
tumblr_m5ivj475cS1rrtdw4o1_400.gif

Has the grunch spoken yet?

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
My Dream (and I mean Dream, as this is never happening) PS5 Event:

A look at the console and a teardown.

Teases for The Order 1886 Sequel, Spider-Man 2, God Of War 2.

A special announcement for a Silent Hill Reboot with a short talk from Toyama, and maybe a Silent Hills announcement too with Kojima?

Horizon Zero Dawn 2 gameplay trailer with a release window of Holiday 2020.

Multiple third-party announcements like RE8, Batman, Crash, Dying Light 2 to make an appearance?

Ratchet and Clank 2 and GT7 teases/reveals.

Multiple realtime gameplay demonstrations.

A Mark Cerny ASMR Fest ending with a Price reveal.

Last edited:

yeeeeeezy

Banned
If we don't hear an announcement soon I think they're pushing it after TLOU2 releases. Maybe early July? Jeff is the only one I see saying early June.

yurinka

Bullshit.

These 'leakers' have no idea about when is going to be the Sony event or what is going to show Sony there. Like all the ones who said that it was going to be in February or in May. All were wrong, like all the ones who supposedly were leaking PS5 hardware specs: none of them leaked guessed the specs.

Sabi also says June, is VERY reliable.
He only would be very reliable if he had a previous track record of leaks from Sony that weren't mentioned before him in other places. And as I know it isn't the case. So it's just a guess from a random Twitter user.

These people say early June not because they have insider info, but because it would make sense: in mid June many AAA publishers and popular indies will showcase their first games for next gen, so it would make sense that before that Sony would showcase at least the remaining new key console features and the main 3rd party deals (exclusives, timed exclusives, marketing deals for the launch windo) if not more.

In addition to this, OPM and Edge hinted to PS5 stuff for their early June magazine, but it may just be already known games like Godfall, Outriders, Dirt 5, Scarlet Nexus or Ubisoft crossgen stuff like AC Valhalla, Watchdogs Legion or Gods and Monsters.

Bullshit. If quite a few people were saying this to him, then they would be saying the same to more people so we would have heard this date from more people, and it isn't the case. Tixus is lying again to get attention, like when he said the console was going to be showcased in February.

So People say he's not a reliable source. I guess rolling the dice on being correct so regain some credits/karma. Like PSErebus.
They are just throwing shit to the wall trying to guess a date, and see if something sticks. If later they are lucky will say 'hey look at me! I'm an insider/leaker'.

I've heard this Sabi person is quite reliable so maybe we're onto something now?
He didn't add any relevant information. He mostly said only common sense stuff that any player would agree and guess:
-The rumored Sony PS5 reveal event would be hyping (obvious, a PS console reveal and many next gen Sony and likely very important 3rd party games too should be announced. And we don't know when but sooner or later Sony will do a console reveal event and announce games for it)
-The announced NG+ expo event too (because it's full of cool Japanese companies and during E3 so it must have some cool announcements)
-The announced MS 1st party event too (obvious, it must show many cool exclusives)

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
My Dream (and I mean Dream, as this is never happening) PS5 Event:

A look at the console and a teardown.

Teases for The Order 1886 Sequel, Spider-Man 2, God Of War 2.

A special announcement for a Silent Hill Reboot with a short talk from Toyama, and maybe a Silent Hills announcement too with Kojima?

Horizon Zero Dawn 2 gameplay trailer with a release window of Holiday 2020.

Multiple third-party announcements like RE8, Batman, Crash, Dying Light 2 to make an appearance?

Ratchet and Clank 2 and GT7 teases/reveals.

Multiple realtime gameplay demonstrations.

A Mark Cerny ASMR Fest ending with a Price reveal.

Sequelstation 5... No offence, at least half of your list will 100% happen, maybe not at launch but eventually, games like HZD2, GoW, SM2 are unquestionably coming, but I personally want to see Sony doing something completely new, not restricted/tied up to an old franchise with established gameplay, but something completely build from the ground up to utilize PS5 to it's fullest, most importantly DS controller.

replicant-

Edge hinted to PS5 stuff for their early June magazine

Nope, they hinted next gen, not specifically PS5.

I got my sub copy last week and XSX - The Ascent. Yet to take it out the cellophane, let alone read it so I don’t know what the content is.

As far as I can tell no Juicy PS5 content.

replicant-

I am more and more finding it bizarre that Sony can’t nail down a reveal date. By the time it happens in June it will more or less be three months since the Mark Cerney dev talk in March.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I am more and more finding it bizarre that Sony can’t nail down a reveal date. By the time it happens in June it will more or less be three months since the Mark Cerney dev talk in March.

How hard is it really to edit a video with game announcements and gameplay? It’s not like a live show with many things that might go wrong. It’s a video and you press play.

II_JumPeR_I

How hard is it really to edit a video with game announcements and gameplay? It’s not like a live show with many things that might go wrong. It’s a video and you press play.
Hey its impossible for Ubisoft to record gameplay of Valhalla because of reasons lol

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Couldn't it be that Sony is purely waiting on the June event from Microsoft? Let them go first, and them try to outshine them?

Couldn't it be that Sony is purely waiting on the June event from Microsoft? Let them go first, and them try to outshine them?

Sony want to wait and see what ms have up their sleeve, which could be lockhart, a cheap series x price point, or even a major exclusive.

The other reason they are waiting is to make sure the last of us 2 and ghost of tsushima sell 10 million each. They can also show off the ps5 upgrades in july/ august. There really is no rush and we have so many games to be released between now and november. I also doubt the consoles will be released this year and its just a case of who goes first. Microsoft cannot afford to wait and they know it. I would follow a similar strategy Sony employed with the ps2 i.e. let the competition release their console with low numbers and build the hype for next summer when everyone will want a ps5. It is risky because Microsoft could make their console more appealing, but i highly doubt people will want to miss any of sonys exclusives. Remember, sony have better quality exclusives, the best out of the three for sure.

Last edited:
Trump postulated running antivirus to get rid of covid 19 but unfortunately it came with complications and all video software at SIE was quarantined and removed.. :messenger_weary:

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
The June Xbox event isnt about games...
Yeah but isn't Sony going to host 1 event where they show their console as well as games, or do you think they'll split it into two? Because I thought just 1 event, which is why they might wait on the hardware event from Xbox in June.

II_JumPeR_I

Yeah but isn't Sony going to host 1 event where they show their console as well as games, or do you think they'll split it into two? Because I thought just 1 event, which is why they might wait on the hardware event from Xbox in June.
I dont know what Sony is doing nor do i care. But so far i know that MS is doing this stupid split with their E3 showing/s. That June Event is most likely the lockhart reveal. And why should Sony wait just because MS is doing a non games event?

There are more events coming. And sadly everything this year is way to spread up... i hate it.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Sequelstation 5... No offence, at least half of your list will 100% happen, maybe not at launch but eventually, games like HZD2, GoW, SM2 are unquestionably coming, but I personally want to see Sony doing something completely new, not restricted/tied up to an old franchise with established gameplay, but something completely build from the ground up to utilize PS5 to it's fullest, most importantly DS controller.
The great thing is that PlayStation has new IPs that have already been announced and will undoubtedly also come to the PS5 too

Wild
Lost Soul Aside
Project Awakening
Granblue Fantasy Relink

Naughty Dog is probably in preproduction with their new IP

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Well, this is THE WEEK that PlayStation MUST say something. If not a buch of people will be mad and that is bad for PS5 PR.
People will be disappointed if Sony doesn't do the PS5 reveal in early June but they would get over it and still be on board if it happens in July

Personally I think it'll happen in June

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I dont know what Sony is doing nor do i care. But so far i know that MS is doing this stupid split with their E3 showing/s. That June Event is most likely the lockhart reveal. And why should Sony wait just because MS is doing a non games event?

There are more events coming. And sadly everything this year is way to spread up... i hate it.
Not a fan of it myself, but I get why they do it. So that every couple of weeks people talk about the new information released on Xbox. The reason why Sony might wait is because if they do it in 1 event (hardware and games), they want to wait for Microsoft so that on a hardware level they can outshine them. For example on price.

yurinka

Nope, they hinted next gen, not specifically PS5.

I got my sub copy last week and XSX - The Ascent. Yet to take it out the cellophane, let alone read it so I don’t know what the content is.

As far as I can tell no Juicy PS5 content.
It was the other magazine (PS OM), sorry. In any case, this tease can be for any game or PS5 news we already know. I assume there won't be any exclusive reveal for that magazine and I highly doubt Sony will do a surprise reveal this current week, I assume they will announce the reveal with some time, at least a week or two before.
PS5-mayo.png

Looking at hardware and software sales, Sony shouldn't care about MS. If Sony is waiting too much and is not due to covid affecting their marketing campaign, it may be because they may want to release TLOU2 (and maybe Tsushima too) before creating the big next gen hype.

Tsushima and TLOU2 are their 2 main games of the year, and TLOU2 maybe it's the most important Sony game of the generation. So maybe they want to milk PS4 a bit more, since it's profitable and it's pretty likely that at launch they will sell PS5 at a loss. At this point hardware, services and games are not an issue for Sony, since theirs seem to be good enough, have stunning records on PS4 and MS didn't announce anything very disruptive / superior to theirs, and seems that 1st party games will be the same.

Sony must be very with facing MS, I think that now they only could be worried if Series X is like $150 (or more) cheaper than PS5, and I don't think it will be the case at all. I think both consoles will have the same price and if there is a difference will be of $50, max $100. And the difference in the market is so big right now that Sony would still dominate even having a $50 or $100 more expensive console.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Looking at hardware and software sales, Sony shouldn't care about MS.
You should always take note of your competitors and care about what they are doing, even when you are outselling them 2:1. Obviously you should set your own course, but ignoring what your competitor is doing at the launch of a new generation would be very dumb. You are correct that they might also be waiting on TLOU2 release and stuff like that, but they will also keep in mind what Microsoft is doing.

It was the other magazine (PS OM), sorry. In any case, this tease can be for any game or PS5 news we already know. I assume there won't be any exclusive reveal for that magazine and I highly doubt Sony will do a surprise reveal this current week, I assume they will announce the reveal with some time, at least a week or two before.
PS5-mayo.png

Looking at hardware and software sales, Sony shouldn't care about MS. If Sony is waiting too much and is not due to covid affecting their marketing campaign, it may be because they may want to release TLOU2 (and maybe Tsushima too) before creating the big next gen hype.

Tsushima and TLOU2 are their 2 main games of the year, and TLOU2 maybe it's the most important Sony game of the generation. So maybe they want to milk PS4 a bit more, since it's profitable and it's pretty likely that at launch they will sell PS5 at a loss. At this point hardware, services and games are not an issue for Sony, since theirs seem to be good enough, have stunning records on PS4 and MS didn't announce anything very disruptive / superior to theirs, and seems that 1st party games will be the same.

Sony must be very with facing MS, I think that now they only could be worried if Series X is like $150 (or more) cheaper than PS5, and I don't think it will be the case at all. I think both consoles will have the same price and if there is a difference will be of $50, max $100. And the difference in the market is so big right now that Sony would still dominate even having a $50 or $100 more expensive console.

EY-EZ8aXQAEVhrC

Last edited:

yurinka

Ok thanks, I see. I saw in Twitter that even if the magazine is released on June 2, subscribers will get it later this week. 38 games I assume it includes the dozen or so of games we know, several other PS4 games we already know getting a PS5 version/upgrade/becoming crossgen, in addition to several random indies.

I assume Sony won't want to reveal their console and big games there, and that if they will announce the PS5 reveal several days before, like a week or so before.

You should always take note of your competitors and care about what they are doing, even when you are outselling them 2:1. Obviously you should set your own course, but ignoring what your competitor is doing at the launch of a new generation would be very dumb. You are correct that they might also be waiting on TLOU2 release and stuff like that, but they will also keep in mind what Microsoft is doing.
I agree, I meant that for what we know from both consoles until now, Sony must be confident because there is not any visible serious harm for their market share in Series X. And for the cards they still have to show (like 1st party games, price, specific release date, secondary services or features, etc.) there is basically nothing MS can do to take the lead.

The only one I imagine is that by following common sense, both consoles would be priced around $499. Sony would use this price, and MS instead could go suicide as they did with Game Pass and price the console $299 or something like that. But I think it's going to be very unlikely that MS will repeat this. I think that instead MS maybe may not charge users with another subscription (to be paid on top of Game Pass and Gold) to use xCloud streaming from their servers.

Last edited:

Eanox

Sony want to wait and see what ms have up their sleeve, which could be lockhart, a cheap series x price point, or even a major exclusive.

The other reason they are waiting is to make sure the last of us 2 and ghost of tsushima sell 10 million each. They can also show off the ps5 upgrades in july/ august. There really is no rush and we have so many games to be released between now and november. I also doubt the consoles will be released this year and its just a case of who goes first. Microsoft cannot afford to wait and they know it. I would follow a similar strategy Sony employed with the ps2 i.e. let the competition release their console with low numbers and build the hype for next summer when everyone will want a ps5. It is risky because Microsoft could make their console more appealing, but i highly doubt people will want to miss any of sonys exclusives. Remember, sony have better quality exclusives, the best out of the three for sure.
I am glad your are not working for Sony. The last time they did that Xbox 360 took their market shares. Sony should not under estimate their competitors. PS4 launch was very bad. It only pick up with with the release of BloodBorne and Uncharted 4. They were lucky that xbone is 100 expensive and an anti-consumer Machine.

ZywyPL

Banned
The other reason they are waiting is to make sure the last of us 2 and ghost of tsushima sell 10 million each. They can also show off the ps5 upgrades in july/ august

I don't get this narrative - even if Sony made a full-blown PS5 reveal today, that console isn't coming to the store shelves in the next 6 months or so, while there are 100M+ PS4 gamers that are thirsty to play games NOW, especially due to Covid19 lockdowns, those two games will sell regardless. There are some guys who already claim they will hold on until PS5 arrives so they can hopefully experience them with enhanced visuals/framerate, no matter how long Sony will hold up with the reveal, but the vast majority simply won't wait and will get the games day/week 1. Sony can split the upcoming event into two parts - what's coming now, still for the PS4, and the longer part about PS5 and what's coming for next-gen, and I don't think anyone would mind.

On a personal note, I think Sony is just waiting for the OT SSD Speculation Thread to reach 2230 pages until they reveal the PS5, which means we have still about 100 pages to go ;p

The other theory is that Sony have had to make revisions to their hardware to compete better with Microsoft or are having issues such as heating or supply shortages. I think Sony would rather delay their launch until next year, but Microsoft want to take the advantage and sell their console this year. If I was sony I would delay the launch until summer 2021, let MS fall on their own sword and clean up as 90% of people will wait for the PS5 once they start building the hype. I really do not think the series x at £700 will sell well.

During his latest YouTube live stream, Japanese technology journalist Zenji Nishikawa teased he will have a “huge scoop” on the level of Wired’s initial PlayStation 5 article in the June 4-due issue of Weekly Famitsu.

Nishikawa has a regular digital technology column in the magazine called “Complicated Conversation About Games.” His scoop for the June 4-due issue is said to be “revolutionary” and “will rile up the games industry.”

Nishikawa’s comments are as follows (starts at 2:07:41):

My column in next week’s issue of Famitsu is crazy. I got a huge scoop… It’s a world premiere article. And an exclusive. It may not be Nikkei or Weekly Bunshun, but if you want to know if it’s a scoop that big…it totally is! It’s a scoop from a game company that everyone loves. An insane scoop. Last year, Wired got the exclusive story on PlayStation 5, right? Other media didn’t. It’s that level of a scoop. I interviewed a certain company’s executive and technical staff, it’s really revolutionary… really, it’s a revolution.

It’ll be in Famitsu next Thursday. I already sent in my manuscript, so the proofs are being made now. It’s a scoop on a level that when the story comes out, other media will make a fuss to the company like, “Why didn’t you let us cover it?” Maybe people will say, “Who was the first to break that story?,” “It was Zenji Nishikawa, right?” It’s a scoop as major as the PlayStation 5 scoop. I just wanted to say that in advance.

I can’t say [anything more] here, but it’s OK for me to tease it (laughs). I was told that it’s OK to do so at various meetings. It’s being talked about in other places. Just not by the media. It’ll rile up the games industry.

After this, Nishikawa reportedly confirmed the scoop is Sega-related after accidentally letting the name slip when mentioning the company’s public relations. However, it did not seem problematic. After his slip-up was pointed out in the comments, Nishikawa said, “Did I say Sega? Then it’s Sega.” He also said it’s not Dreamcast 2.

While we cannot be certain whether Nishikawa was simply teasing when confirming the company as Sega, June 3 does mark the 60th anniversary of the Japanese giant, meaning there could be some news around that date. The company began its 60th anniversary promotional campaign back in March.

Thanks, Games Talk.

Last edited:
Top Bottom