• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 Reveal Event now looks to be June 4th

thelastword

Banned
The PlayStation 5 will be revealed in full in early June, according to a new online report.

GamesBeat reporter Jeffrey Grubb revealed on the ResetERA forums that the reveal event is currently planned for June 4th. First-party games, however, may possibly be shown before the event.

While Sony has yet to confirm anything regarding the PlayStation 5 reveal, there's a good chance that was has been revealed today is true, as Jeffrey Grubb proved to have insider information in the past, confirming the date of the latest Nintendo Direct before the official announcement. He also hinted months ago that he had exclusive knowledge of Sony information. A June reveal also somewhat mirrors Sony's PlayStation 4 strategy, as the Japanese company revealed the console's final design in June. Still, take it with a huge grain of salt until an official confirmation comes in.

Earlier this month, reliable sources revealed that PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X events are scheduled for next month. Due to the current situation, however, console manufacturers are ready to make any last-minute changes to their plans.

With E3 cancelled, a lot of the planned reveals / announcements have been moved out of that single week. Some are now much earlier, others much later. Some still during E3 week ofc. The first proper next gen console/games showcase is much earlier too.
This is the one time I will actually add a caveat, for the last sentence in this case, as we are living through an unprecedented situation and this is the one time where external factors such as COVID-19 could actually change plans right at the last minute. But we'll see.

The PlayStation 5 launches later this year worldwide. We will keep you updated on the console as soon as more come in on it, so stay tuned for all the latest news.

https://wccftech.com/playstation-5-reveal-event/

Last edited by a moderator:

Psykodad

Banned
Horizon Zero Dawn 2 gameplay
jSa9v4ZvbNKORebYURzmptlLPUs4CUJgcqKcVxcd1plIupxax2TZzSkrwZMwc9GeOPnfxe9co12iC9o37XqU6N8xFHVkeQZlMW3H1ZiH7ndT4Pr4skMVvJyY23l9264Iqx96Tf_n-o29pdnVhYUWKY5gmTUOiKlyxdA

Temp0

Banned
That's great, could be even later, but this is cool. How high are the chances that they are also going to announce a price for the console? This would be interesting to know. But I think we will get the price later. They will show the console and games.

I just want to preorder the thing already! I'm anticipating it being sold out quickly, but I suppose seeing games first (why not at same time?) isn't the worst scenario. We have been starving for next gen gameplay. I really hope we get to see God of War 2, Horizon 2, Spiderman 2, and some brand new stuff.

replicant-

They are playing it late in delivering the narrative for their fans - approx. 3 months after the Mark Cerney stream. I guess that's another x amount weeks of leaks and rumours from *insiders.

Last edited:

replicant-

I just want to preorder the thing already! I'm anticipating it being sold out quickly, but I suppose seeing games first (why not at same time?) isn't the worst scenario. We have been starving for next gen gameplay. I really hope we get to see God of War 2, Horizon 2, Spiderman 2, and some brand new stuff.

I think it will be pretty easy to get a pre-order secured as I'm in the UK which is an important market for Sony. It maybe more difficult in smaller markets though.

Needless to say I won't be gambling it. Minute pre-orders go live I'll be clicking that button on Amazon lol.

I don't fucking care about Horizon Zero Dawn 2.

I'm waiting the new silent hill, God of war 2, BPGames top secret project, TLOU 2 remastered and Gran Turismo.
Horizon Zero Dawn has visuals that lend themselves very well to demos (the other games too)... I can't wait for them to reveal that the hub world in God of War PS4 was a giant interactive load screen for what was originally a linear game.

Sethbacca

That's great, could be even later, but this is cool. How high are the chances that they are also going to announce a price for the console? This would be interesting to know. But I think we will get the price later. They will show the console and games.

They usually do the pricing at the reveal. I wouldn't be surprised if preorders start the same day or within days of the event. That said, the new wait to be disappointed starts today I guess.

I think it will be pretty easy to get a pre-order secured as I'm in the UK which is an important market for Sony. It maybe more difficult in smaller markets though.

Needless to say I won't be gambling it. Minute pre-orders go live I'll be clicking that button on Amazon lol.

Yeah I'm in the US, so I'm not too worried about stock for us either. But I'll just feel anxious until I know my console is reserved. I'll have Amazon and Best Buy pages open during whatever online event Sony has. I imagine it will be something like, "the presentation has concluded and online orders are live!" I just know this will sell out in less than 10 minutes. People are going to be stuck out in the rain of last gen this holiday if they miss the preorder.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Then we need to wait even longer for the Xbox event, I think. Would be weird if they go first with pricing again.

KAL2006

Banned
I'm expecting a reveal in May.

I think Sony will focus on marketing Last of Us 2 in June. Then Ghost of Tsushima in July.

May is a good time because they can reveal everything about PS5. Then let things settle down in June and July and focus their marketing on the last 2 PS4 exclusives. Then in August back to PS5 marketing until release.

They can't wait until July or August to reveal as third parties have their own schedule for marketing. And this won't have a small window of marketing like Switch as way more 3rd party are involved than Switch.

yurinka

I think these supposed 'insiders' throw random dates to the wall and hope one of them sticks. I'll believe it once it's officially announced.

I highly doubt that Sony may release a major PS5 reveal a week or two before TLOU2 release: they need to keep these days cleans of news to give TLOU2 all the attention to maximize sales.

I think that ideally they would have revealed PS5 after TLOU2 release. But TLOU2 will be after E3 and soon after it has Tsushima. So I think they will make a PS5 reveal in late May more focused on the machine itself (box, minor tech specs, OS features and experience, services, etc) and some minor launch window exclusives and 3rd party multi games that were going to be announced anyways at E3, plus maybe a logo o quick tease of an important exclusive.

And then after Tsushima (maybe in August or September) to show the top tier launch window exclusives, detail launch stuff like release day, release games list or price and open preorders.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Chances are very high of that; Sony promised on an investor call to follow a similar schedule for that info as they did with PS4. Price was revealed in June last time around.

Fun Fanboy

Banned
Foxy UK guy eh? Meh.

Glad that there will be some PS5 stuff coming now. June they say. E3 time. Yup. Sounds about right.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
And in what kind of setup would that thing fit horizontally? It's thick as hell. Could almost stack two Xbox One and a Ps4 Slim together.

Lots of home theater furniture? It's not any taller than a lot of surround sound receivers. How is it going to work vertically if you can't fit it horizontally?

Don't get me wrong I'm gonna use it vertically, and hope to god PS5 can be vertical too. Veritical consoles are the best way to do an HT setup.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully this "rumor" actually turns out to be accurate. I put my bet on it being 50/50. Not sure why Sony would reveal first party games ahead of the event because that kind of defeats the purpose of having the event. But whatever. Have to wait and see. It's over a month away.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Lots of home theater furniture? It's not any taller than a lot of surround sound receivers. How is it going to work vertically if you can't fit it horizontally?

Don't get me wrong I'm gonna use it vertically, and hope to god PS5 can be vertical too. Veritical consoles are the best way to do an HT setup.

Vertically it’s 30 cm so it will fit most furniture with squared shapes, which IKEA turned real popular, and it will look good vertically in that scenario while horizontally it will look weird imo. In most furniture it won’t fit in the and I think a lot of people if not most will actually put it on the ground. But we will see, I obviously am not in tune with what everyone has and just go by my experience and the houses I’ve been too.

I don’t think I know a single persons with a receiver, just sound bars and 2.1 speakers.

Last edited:

yurinka

This sounds clearly fake stuff. It doesn't make sense at all for Sony to drop all these bombs at the same time.

I see them using the BC improvements with one or two of their biggest games. I buy using GoW for that. Then only one or two of their big guns as PS5 exclusive announcements to highlight crazy gameplay visuals (HZD2/Spiderman 2/God of War 2/Bloodborne 2/Gran Turismo/Kojima/etc.), then one or two small exclusive launch games (probably from Studio Japan or London) focused on taking advantege of one or two of the new features (adaptative triggers, haptic feedback, mic, RT, etc) and then 2 or 3 3rd party games or tech demos from popular publishers (Ubi/EA/Acti/Capcom/Square/Sega) showcasing the new tech or visuals they are using for the next gen.

All their other big guns (HZD2/Spiderman 2/GoW2/Bloodborne 2/GT/Kojima/etc.) would be saved for another day (one of them would be shown next to multi stuff and more low tier launch games between GoT release and PS5 release) and all the other big guns wouldn't be shown until next year or 2022.

Last edited:
Top Bottom