• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

We all know Sony paid Square Enix to get that exclusive content, but what if Sony is literally funding the development of this?
I guess people would still be mad about it even if Sony was giving their own money to make it happen.
People were mad at Sony for funding the MW2 Campaign Remaster (and have it be a 1 month timed exclusive) and people were mad at Sony for doing ALL of the Destiny’s marketing for a couple of guns, armor and a strike.

They literally spent the same in Destiny’s marketing as they did for their 1st party, there’s a reason why everyone thought Destiny was an exclusive game to PlayStation. That 500M budget from Activision to Bungie would have been eaten by marketing costs.

Vae_Victis

Banned

P.S. PlayStation 5 [OT] > Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| btw :messenger_smiling_horns:

Goddamit, they REALLY want to go after Microsoft. The only reasonable variable at this point that plays in the decision of when to talk about prices is what Microsoft does; everything else has to be already set in stone, and they must have made their calculations for all possible scenario a million times over.

To be fair this tug of war does work in favour of Sony in a sense, because they only still have to give a date and a price, but Microsoft supposedly needs to announce an entirely second console: doing that later rather than sooner would be a lot more awkward than just announcing a price in mid-late September, and announcing Lockhart now would mean adding even more confusion to the Xbox message with the last debatable event still fresh in everyone's mind.

If you want to know when PS5 prices will be revealed, keep your eyes on what Microsoft does.

Nickolaidas

Banned
Damn, I'm late to the party. You have no life, people! I had to go through a lot of pages to catch up. I hope you don't hate my multiple answer posts. I don't want to spam the thread like @sircaw
It's like saying that Demon Soul's is like Golden Axe but with better graphics. See what I did here? Socom is a tactical co-op game, nothing like COD. It's sad that COD is dominating the FPS genre so much these days, especially for people who hate it, like me.
Just to be clear, I wasn't being condescending - I literally have no idea what SOCOM is about because I am not interested at all in 'AMER-ICAAAA! FUCK! YEAH!' kind of games. It gave me such a vibe which is why I know next to nothing about it.
Nothing from first parties (for PS5 updates anyway) so none of those are on the table...
RE8 and Demon's Souls aren't first party ...

Brudda26

Just to be clear, I wasn't being condescending - I literally have no idea what SOCOM is about because I am not interested at all in 'AMER-ICAAAA! FUCK! YEAH!' kind of games. It gave me such a vibe which is why I know next to nothing about it.

Demons soul is a playstation studios title and a IP owned by sony it's a first party IP

zaitsu

Banned
Goddamit, they REALLY want to go after Microsoft. The only reasonable variable at this point that plays in the decision of when to talk about prices is what Microsoft does; everything else has to be already set in stone, and they must have made their calculations for all possible scenario a million times over.

To be fair this tug of war does work in favour of Sony in a sense, because they only still have to give a date and a price, but Microsoft supposedly needs to announce an entirely second console: doing that later rather than sooner would be a lot more awkward than just announcing a price in mid-late September, and announcing Lockhart now would mean adding even more confusion to the Xbox message with the last debatable event still fresh in everyone's mind.

If you want to know when PS5 prices will be revealed, keep your eyes on what Microsoft does.
My wish : UI, some first party sauce and price/preorders.
Teardown might be next month.

Mr Hyde

I wonder how big games on PS5 will be? I'm looking at external SSDs to buy at launch but they are quite expensive. I was impressed by DFs showcase of a 8TB Samsung SSD and how they improved loading and texture pop in on a PS4 pro so I figured it would be a must have on PS5 for storing games. Especially for PS4 BC.

825 GB sounds very little but if the SSD is making file sizes smaller maybe there is no need for external drivers. Wish Sony would talk a little bit about this.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I wonder how big games on PS5 will be? I'm looking at external SSDs to buy at launch but they are quite expensive. I was impressed by DFs showcase of a 8TB Samsung SSD and how they improved loading and texture pop in on a PS4 pro so I figured it would be a must have on PS5 for storing games. Especially for PS4 BC.

825 GB sounds very little but if the SSD is making file sizes smaller maybe there is no need for external drivers. Wish Sony would talk a little bit about this.

From what I understand, if I remember, only certain approved ones will work with PS5. It isn’t known yet what they are or from which manufacturers. Hell, they might be internal expansion only through a bay.

Perrott

Gold Member
Dusk Golem said:
So separate of Silent Hill, I know Sony has been trying really hard to keep a tight lid on certain things, I have a friend who's a translator who was going to sign contracts with a third party studio to translate some of their game stuff, but they had to be post-poned indefinitely due to the studio having a game for PS5 that's not revealed yet.
Huh...

ToadMan

Demons Souls is part of Japan Studios projects.

Might hear something about RE8 though - perhaps a longer gameplay demo although I think they might save something “big” like that for a PS5 specific show.

GRIEVEZ

didn't see the thread about ps4 controllers not working on the ps5 so ill just post it here.

NOT drive by shit posting, but I gotta say in my mind the only reason they won't allow dualshock controllers to work on the ps5 is because the Dualsense is going to be more expensive like 69-79 new (which I've been saying) and they dont want everyone to just go out and buy the cheaper dualshock controllers. Pretty damn shitty if this is the case.
Just wanted to iterate that if the DualShock4 would work on PS5 games, developers would make a lot less use of the DualSense4 features.

DrDamn

What's the big deal about SOCOM? I'm a medieval fantasy/Sci-Fi/Horror gamer meself, so this just looks like a Call of Duty game to me in 3rd person.

It was a lot about tactics, team work and more realism.

You know, that's a good point about SOCOM. I over-simplified it in my earlier comment as well, but you're right that SOCOM was a shooter with heavy emphasis on tactics and team tactics. So in a lot of ways it was superior to COD and MOH. I'm just not sure that the popularity of such an approach holds up today..at least beyond a more niche group of players. I suspect it didn't at the time and that's why the series went away. It had a really hard core fan base though. Might be interesting to see if they could come back with a new version and then attract enough of an audience to make it truly viable agin. Maybe we'll get an answer soon!

Rainbow Six has shown that this sort of shooter can thrive. I think their is a hole in the market for this sort of thing, and it's the sort of area Sony should look to fill. Multi-platform titles have a lot of the shooter genre covered, but there is room for something like SOCOM or MAG even where play is like Rainbow Six but scope of levels and objectives is larger - bigger maps, more Battlefield like in open areas.

Sethbacca

No sense even looking till you know which are going to be compatible. They're likely going to be pricy tho.

Lol they are just going to update the the engine & visuals. This is a forever platform now.:messenger_beaming:
They said Miles Morales is a glorified DLC. What they going to call GTA 6.

In case you are interested ...

How do patents work?? Can you share them?? Some of these are surely Sony's. They all look like Sonys customised changes. We know damn well AMD wouldn't of created these without Sony & console focus. AMD wouldn't of even gone in this direction.

Neo Blaster

I mean for sure.. not saying otherwise. None of what I'm saying is ignoring that MS put themselves where they are.

But stuff like Sony doubling or tripling down on buying up 3rd party exclusives are the things I'm talking about that aren't healthy for the industry in any way that seem directly targeted at taking MS out of the game.
The difference here is that MS went overdrive on buying 3rd party exclusivity on 360 era, and totally stopped nurturing their own studios. Sony seems to financially help 3rd party games development in exchange for exclusivity, and doubled down on their own studios. The results showed off during this gen and go on into the next one.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Here it is.
eg6iMBu.jpg

State of Play early Aug going into games. Some sort of video digging deep into UI and other functions of the system not yet announced late Aug then tear down video early Sept.

Might swap those last event but timing would remain the same.

I think I heard this somewhere before.

I wonder what the third party deals are, obviously the likes of Persona 6 are inevitable but I’m wondering if any deals with Western publishers have been struck, maybe to resurrect some older IP.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Do you believe a Soccom game could happen ?

I remember seeing some peoples speculating that the second team at Guerrilla would make it but personaly i think it would be a waste of talent.

Sure I believe it COULD happen.

This game, if done right would be probably my best game of next gen.

There has been a lot of talk about it recently seems a lot of people would like it.

Nickolaidas

Banned
Sure I believe it COULD happen.

This game, if done right would be probably my best game of next gen.

There has been a lot of talk about it recently seems a lot of people would like it.
Heisenberg, have you heard anything Mortal Kombat 11-related being announced this month?

Hiphop gamer has said there have been many pitches to Sony about Socom. Many have have failed. Many prototype demo's have failed. I think he said he saw a version as well. Im not sure under who's watch. But whatever version exist now it would of been under Yoshida/Laydens watch.

Yoshida ain't easy to please.(All this gen games are under him & Laydens watch) Santa Monica spent 100mill on prototype demos. Until Yoshida liked what he saw. And we got GOW 2018.

For Socom to get green lit. It must be good. I know a few of ubisoft & rainbow 6 guys are at guerrilla. So to get the greenlight. It can't be another me too game.I look forward to it ,if it exist.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Hiphop gamer has said there have been many pitches to Sony about Socom. Many have have failed. Many prototype demo's have failed. I think he said he saw a version as well. Im not sure under who's watch. But whatever version exist now it would of been under Yoshida/Laydens watch.

Yoshida ain't easy to please.(All this gen games are under him & Laydens watch) Santa Monica spent 100mill on prototype demos. Until Yoshida liked what he saw. And we got GOW 2018.

For Socom to get green lit. It must be good. I know a few of ubisoft & rainbow 6 guys are at guerrilla. So to get the greenlight. It can't be another me too game.I look forward to it ,if it exist.
None of that it's true. HipHopGamer is a fraud, such as every other youtuber/streamer who claims to know details about Sony's plans or games.

None of that it's true. HipHopGamer is a fraud, such as every other youtuber/streamer who claims to know details about Sony's plans or games.

Its up to you who or what you want to believe. He's had interviews with a lot of industry people in the Business for years. He's an actual character in games & has composed music for some games. That's way more than most "insiders" . Many are quick to believe a random 4 chan post ,red gaming tech, github,tweets & so forth.But don't want to believe hiphop gamer. That is fine. All individual choice.

Its up to you. Who or what you want to believe.Dude has been doing this for a long time.So I'm going to go on what he said.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
On Financials for the quarter

At 599 trillion yen ($5.65 billion), total PlayStation revenue was 36 percent higher than the same period last year and was the highest for any April-June quarter in PlayStation history.

(PlayStation) Profit for the quarter was more than XBox's entire revenue for the same period.

Of those 91 million PS4 games sold, 18.5 million of them were first-party titles and a whopping 74% of all those transactions were for the digital version of a game rather than a physical copy. The total number of PlayStation Plus subscribers has also increased to 44.9 million

Profit for the quarter ended in June was 228 billion yen (US$2.15 billion), compared with average analyst estimates of 137 billion yen. The company forecast operating profit for the year ending in March of 620 billion yen, compared with projections for 654 billion yen. Sony also said it would buy back as much as 1.64 per cent of its shares for 100 billion yen.

That's nearly enough to buy Bethesda / Zenimax at it's last valuation of 2.5 billion (probably more now but not by much) .... do it Sony!

Last edited:

FeiRR

Banned
I think the reason why DS4 can't be used for PS5 games might be a different communication system that the console will use for PS5 specific titles. There's haptic data to be sent, mic array data to be received, maybe something more we don't know yet. If you expect older technology to be forward compatible, you're generally in for a lot of disappointments.

HawarMiran

Banned

At 599 trillion yen ($5.65 billion), total PlayStation revenue was 36 percent higher than the same period last year and was the highest for any April-June quarter in PlayStation history.

(PlayStation) Profit for the quarter was more than XBox's entire revenue for the same period.

Of those 91 million PS4 games sold, 18.5 million of them were first-party titles and a whopping 74% of all those transactions were for the digital version of a game rather than a physical copy. The total number of PlayStation Plus subscribers has also increased to 44.9 million

Profit for the quarter ended in June was 228 billion yen (US$2.15 billion), compared with average analyst estimates of 137 billion yen. The company forecast operating profit for the year ending in March of 620 billion yen, compared with projections for 654 billion yen. Sony also said it would buy back as much as 1.64 per cent of its shares for 100 billion yen.

That's nearly enough to buy Bethesda / Zenimax at it's last valuation of 2.5 billion (probably more now but not by much) .... do it Sony!
I feel like Sony is going back to their glorious days (talking about all of Sony). Not that they were bad the past few years but something was lacking. Now it seems like they even want to bring a car to the market ;D. Why else would they test-drive the Vision-S in Japan?

Bryank75

Banned
I feel like Sony is going back to their glorious days (talking about all of Sony). Not that they were bad the past few years but something was lacking. Now it seems like they even want to bring a car to the market ;D. Why else would they test-drive the Vision-S in Japan?
Their big money makers are entertainment: games, film and TV and music....

But they also have banking, sensors, electronics which all make decent profits too.

Cars wouldn't be out of their scope, I like the look of the Vision S...reminds me of the Porsche Taycan.

Dee_Dee

Hmm so the DE PS5 could be 400 bucks after all. I’m still getting the regular one but that would be great news though

As for hardware upgrades, my guess is that Sony upped the memory and maybe the CPU clock speeds. For Xbox i will guess they increased the clock speed for the GPU.

aclar00

What's the big deal about SOCOM? I'm a medieval fantasy/Sci-Fi/Horror gamer meself, so this just looks like a Call of Duty game to me in 3rd person.

Blasphemy! You didnt play it back in the day huh? SOCOM 1 & 2 were some of the best days in gaming. In fact it has been the only game ive actually used a headset for.

It was no Call of Duty...in many of the online maps you actually had to have some kind of strategy, particularly when it was down to 2 or 3 people on your team. This is also when surround sound in my opinion was key, especially when people had suppressors and you couldnt tell which direction you were being shot from.

Single player, even with its flaws was fun too...nice to direct your teammates.

WellSheet

what do you think would be the likelihood of this? Bethesda has seemingly gotten into bed with Sony for next gen here at that start. That purchase would be wild. I feel likeBethesda are too big to buy though.

ToadMan

Their big money makers are entertainment: games, film and TV and music....

But they also have banking, sensors, electronics which all make decent profits too.

Cars wouldn't be out of their scope, I like the look of the Vision S...reminds me of the Porsche Taycan.

The joint marketing with Gran Turismo would be epic hehe.

kretos

Banned
“We previously stated that we’re huge Marvel fans, but we’re also PlayStation fans. We are honored to be working with them to provide additional advantages to PlayStation players. PlayStation players will have exclusive access to certain Community Challenges, where the PlayStation Nation will work together to accomplish a goal in order to gain rewards specific to them.”

Nickolaidas

Banned
Blasphemy! You didnt play it back in the day huh? SOCOM 1 & 2 were some of the best days in gaming.
Like I said, America Fuck Yeah! kind of games where you are a modern day soldier killing terrorists and evil Russians/Nazis just doesn't do it for me.
Errr ... personal Sony fanboyism aside, this isn't a good look for Square Enix. A company should at the very least PRETEND to be unbiased. It's like they're saying, "Yeah, we're releasing this game for both consoles, but MS sucks dick. PS IS THE WAY TO GO, MAN!!!" Might be great for a consumer to say, but for a supposedly neutral company? Not so much.

Top Bottom