• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Ok, took off the plates, and in tower mode.

Problem is that base is not on right, and tower is wobbly, but it's Ok.

Fan noise is the same, as I can't hear it.

Note, plates are really easy to take off, just bang downwards along the console with the palm of your hand at the top corner (logo corner), and they pop off.

I like the look. It has a technical utilitarian look.

Those ribs can be snapped off also (and yes on both sides).

X9MOGq7.jpg

edit: Without ribbing.

22zDBNH.jpg

Many Bothans died to bring us this information. :messenger_frowning_

lol.. with the naked drive you have hooked up to one of those adapters it looks like you have a fetish.

Portugeezer

Demon's Souls crashed twice on me today, and YouTube also crashed loading. Hopefully gets sorted soon, was hoping the software issues were overblown, but possibly not.

yurinka

Demon's Souls crashed twice on me today, and YouTube also crashed loading. Hopefully gets sorted soon, was hoping the software issues were overblown, but possibly not.
Dont worry, Sony will release 32098092384098203482039309 stability OS patches for PS5 to solve these things. Maybe even 32098092384098203482039310.

Last edited:
Ugh, put PS5 into rest mode then it wouldn't switch on with the pad. Used the power button and it immediately went into the rebuilding the database screen.

Looks like Spiderman was uninstalled and I lost my WRC9 save. Unsure of any other fallout yet but I guess that's rest mode not being used until I hear it's stable!

EDIT: Interestingly, when I took it out of rest mode after the weekend it clearly wasn't outputting in HDR, a restart of the PS5 fixed that. Lots of oddities!

Last edited:

peetfeet

Nearly had a heart attack, that was weird.

I just switched on my PS5 from rest via the hdmi (switching to the input on my tv (Sony XH90)). It beeped, my screen went black and then came back to the tv's wallpaper. The light went on briefly on the PS5 but then stayed off. Tried pressing the power button in case it had switched off again and it beeped once but still nothing, still no light or signal to TV. Starting to panic as my Demon's Souls disc was in there I pressed eject to see if it would come out,,,, it did with no issue and immediately the PS5 booted up normally. The first time this has happened but my heart was in my mouth lol. Besides it's quirks I still love it!

BTW, put the disc back in and game/PS5 seems to be running fine.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Had crashes on both of our PS5s. One is a digital edition, the other disk.. but all games installed are digital. No external drives used.

So far seen the following:

- Rest mode failing to return, sometimes with errors
- After disabling rest mode completely, still had some issues turning on the machine.. weird beeps, black screens, "repairing disk",etc.
- Spiderman Remastered hard crashed multiple times. Either locking up, or literally causing the PS5 to shut off..

One of the Spiderman crashes actually detected it as a software problem and we submitted it to Sony; the others all do the "you must have shut your system off while it was running" nag message (but they were crashes.)

A bit nervous TBH... at worst we've lost some save progress in games, but just feels like the system is having some basic underlying problem with files.... and that's.. not good.

Nymphae

Banned
I haven't had any crashes of the system yet. Both Demon's Souls and CoD have had freezing issues, just once for DS and a couple times for CoD, nothing major.

I always stay away from rest modes.

IntentionalPun

I haven't had any crashes of the system yet. Both Demon's Souls and CoD have had freezing issues, just once for DS and a couple times for CoD, nothing major.

I always stay away from rest modes.
On our digital edition that has had the most crashes, I actually disabled rest mode the first time we turned it on lol

It appears to be totally unrelated to any crashing, or at least, disabling it doesn't actually stop crashing.

And.. how is a system freezing 3 times in a week not something major to you? lol.. I've probably experienced 3 freezes / crashes the entire time I've gamed on PS4.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
And.. how is a system freezing 3 times in a week not something major to you? lol.. I've probably experienced 3 freezes / crashes the entire time I've gamed on PS4.

I just said the system didn't freeze.....quit the game and all was good. I've experienced individual games crashing occasionally on just about every platform I've ever owned.

One freeze for DS and a couple for CoD is not major in a week worth of playing, I assumed it's first week jitters with netplay. It's the first time they've done crossplay IIRC, I expect a crash or two with CoD.

The Demon's Soul freeze was during a dialog in the nexus, I just restarted it and was in the same spot like 10 seconds later. NBD.

IntentionalPun

I just said the system didn't freeze.....quit the game and all was good.
Sorry I understood what you meant and just didn't describe it well.

Games crashing so often is just not acceptable to me. But I play 100% singleplayer so maybe that's the difference. SP games crashing means at bare minimum some lost progress, and others have outright had their saves deleted.

It makes me not want to use the thing as it's just disheartening to have crashes happen in the middle of a tough mission or something.

Last edited:

JonkyDonk

Had crashes on both of our PS5s. One is a digital edition, the other disk.. but all games installed are digital. No external drives used.

So far seen the following:

- Rest mode failing to return, sometimes with errors
- After disabling rest mode completely, still had some issues turning on the machine.. weird beeps, black screens, "repairing disk",etc.
- Spiderman Remastered hard crashed multiple times. Either locking up, or literally causing the PS5 to shut off..

One of the Spiderman crashes actually detected it as a software problem and we submitted it to Sony; the others all do the "you must have shut your system off while it was running" nag message (but they were crashes.)

A bit nervous TBH... at worst we've lost some save progress in games, but just feels like the system is having some basic underlying problem with files.... and that's.. not good.
OS problems will be fixed, as long as you don't see anything indicating faulty hardware then no reason to panic. Spiderman Reamastered is known to be quite buggy, so maybe avoid just that until a patch comes.

IntentionalPun

OS problems will be fixed, as long as you don't see anything indicating faulty hardware then no reason to panic. Spiderman Reamastered is known to be quite buggy, so maybe avoid just that until a patch comes.
Well we have no idea if any of this is hardware related. Hence the worry.

If it's all just software; that's fine.. still sucks. It would be aided if Sony had automatic cloud saves.. my biggest worry is having my progress deleted, and having to constantly backup my saves is annoying and easy to forget.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
There’s something lose and rattling round in my controller already. I’ve not dropped it or banged it or anything.

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

Hondo4

I can't finish that level in the basement with the T-Rex. It's so annoying, that I kinda gave up on it.

Also I hear you need to do the time trials, which I'm not a fan of.
I just got the platinum today and you don’t have to do the time trials to get the platinum

My controller acts up during Borderlands 3 sometimes. It has happened three times. It just doesn't rumble right, like it's doing a half-assed job of spinning. I'll back out to the title screen and it will be fine in the game again. I dunno if it's my controller or the game.

it’s cool when you experience a moment where the tempest audio engine is really doing work. I am playing Spidey Remastered right now, finishing up DLC trophies, and I was walking down an alley while Peter was talking to MJ and his voice was echoing down the alley, just sounded cool, hard to explain

Man, I really want a 60 FPS Bloodborne on PS5...

I feel like they have to make it happen. It’s easily one of the most requested tune-ups across the platform

10 days with the PS5:
-Zero Crashes so far.
-System tries to keep installing the PS4 disc version of Miles Morales everytime I switch on the console, it's annoying. Have to keep deleting it from the system storage every time.
-Games look and run admirably across the board.
-Days Gone has been a transformative experience at 4K60fps.
-DualSense Controller is so damn good.
-Demon's Souls is easily the true next gen showpiece, closely matched by Miles Morales.
-UI is slick, but not quite as fast I wanted it to be (Still think PS3's UI was the fastest moving from left to right and vice versa).
-Console runs whisper quiet.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I had demon souls literally freeze on me for like 10 seconds. and after 5 seconds, a giant diagonal black bar appeared right in the middle of the screen.

I know in the other thread everyone is screaming fud fud fud, but this is something I was worried about as soon as i saw the high clocks. the controller not charging bug and the disc spinning every hour is a bug. you know those are the kind of things you expect at launch, but this screen artifacts is a symptom of a larger problem. I really hope its not silicon lottery for sony's sake because if it is then we could be looking at millions upon millions of ps5s dying in the next few years and sony will have to pony up billions in cash to replace them. the fact that they are selling almost 10 million just to start off is going to work against them because that just means more ps5s to replace. iirc, MS had to set aside a billion dollars to replace their launch 360s which didnt even sell as well as the ps5. Sony could be looking at $5-10 billion in losses in the worst case scenario.

I hope I am wrong for sony's sake. i dont want them to see them fail and leave the market to microsoft and nintendo. but even if im wrong, I would highly recommend everyone go back and buy some warranty for your consoles. at least 3 years because then you can trade it in when the ps5 pro arrives.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
it’s cool when you experience a moment where the tempest audio engine is really doing work. I am playing Spidey Remastered right now, finishing up DLC trophies, and I was walking down an alley while Peter was talking to MJ and his voice was echoing down the alley, just sounded cool, hard to explain
as someone who has been playing PS VR games, i am less impressed by the ps5 implementation. even astro bot only uses it during the ssd speedway. i bought the $100 ps headset and so far its been ok, some neat moments here and there, but nothing special. i think what they need to do is add more "things" to the game to make it work. stuff like a leaking water pipe in a tunnel that might cause the water drops to echo. more ambience in the levels. have wind effects swirl around you. i am thinking mostly of demon souls here. the wind should have been far more pronounced in bridge levels like in 1-2. i think they need to treat it like graphics. just add more things to make it feel lively.

Been playing around today with 2 old PS4 disc games:

God Of War: If you put this in and cancel the update, you can play it at 4k 60fps (there is a thread somewhere). It looks absolutely astonishing. Turn off motion blur and that wobble camera for best effect. I haven't seen any dropped frames or tearing, it just looks and plays glorious. I played just past the Stranger fight which was as epic as ever. Saves from a patched version are not compatible with the unpatched version so it's a new game only I am afraid.

The Last Guardian: Not sure of the res but again, it appears to be a locked 60fps. You lose out on HDR but I don't remember HDR being all that good in this game so not much of value is lost. I only ever played an hour of the PS4 hitch and jank fest (the stutter along with the controls just got on my nerves) so am having a blast now with the game and it really looks so good and smooth.

NOTE: Every time you put the disc in or start the game it will try to pull down the update. Just go to notifications and cancel and delete it. Make sure auto updates are turned off and don't use janky rest mode either if you know what's good for you :messenger_beaming:

SonicJams

Just got my ps5 and i think the stand is shot. One of the clip recesses is too small for the white frame thickness and doesnt fit properly. Anyone heard of this issue? Hoping i can send off for a replacement.

xacto

Just got my ps5 and i think the stand is shot. One of the clip recesses is too small for the white frame thickness and doesnt fit properly. Anyone heard of this issue? Hoping i can send off for a replacement.

You might want to try an aftermarket stand until you get your replacement? There are some around.

Tmack

Does anyone know if i can change the language setting of a region disk game?

I want to play in my own language but that disk is an import and i`m not being able to choose that language.

Will I have to re-purchase the game to have it on my own language? Will my current save file still works?

The DualSense is probably the greatest controller ever designed. It's so goddamned good that it's hard for me to go back to the Xbox controller, which is a superb controller, too.

It’s such a brave departure from the Dualshock. Wonderful controller which to me is the best “exclusive” out so far. Currently the star of next gen.

SCB3

I just got my first Crash today, a hard and somewhat scary one

I literally just finished Miles Morales and the game and system Hard Crashed and froze in game

I turned it off via the power button and the game made a loud sound and turned off.

After a few mins I turned it on via the power button (controller didn't work) and I got a rebuilding database screen, then a double Screen with a thick Green column on the left side. Very worrying and thought it was a GPU failure.

Restarted the PS5 via the menu and when it came back on it seemed fine again, so strange

Vtecomega

Banned
Hey guys. How do I purchase Spiderman Remastered for the PS5? Do I simply purchase the PS4 version and pay extra to upgrade to the PS5 version?

Shit go by Insomniac btw.

IntentionalPun

Hey guys. How do I purchase Spiderman Remastered for the PS5? Do I simply purchase the PS4 version and pay extra to upgrade to the PS5 version?

You have to buy the $70 Ultimate version of MIles Morales... but I think you know that lol

Last edited:

DrDamn

Does anyone know if i can change the language setting of a region disk game?

I want to play in my own language but that disk is an import and i`m not being able to choose that language.

Will I have to re-purchase the game to have it on my own language? Will my current save file still works?

Different languages can be downloaded separately by game. Can't remember the option but the the dots and then manage game or something like that? May have your language as a download option.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Astros Playroom is my first ever Platinum Trophy and I've been at this lark for years. I mean, I have 790 bronze trophies :messenger_winking_tongue:

To be fair though, Astro's is the first game I've ever actually wanted to Platinum, it really is that good!
Nice, I need to Platinum this as well

ManaByte

Gold Member
One of my cats knocked down my Dualsense and cracked the touchpad. Luckily Sony still had controllers in stock that the bots didn't buy up.

xacto

Actually, in the PS Store, you will only find Spider-Man, for PS4, with no availability to upgrade it to the remastered version for PS5. What you can do instead, is buy Spider-Man Miles Morales Ultimate Edition, for £69.99, which is actually the price for two games: Miles Morales for PS5, and Spider-Man Remastered for PS5.

ManaByte

Gold Member
It comes as a redeem code on the boxed version of MM Ultimate, so i believe that, in theory, one can buy a code from another who isnt interested in having it.

Who in their right mind wouldn't want it? Especially when you can get a cheaper version of MM without the code.

Top Bottom