• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

Tschumi

If i buy a buffed PlayStation plus membership after they include ps2 and ps3 titles for top tier subscribers using my Japanese account, could i access the games i get through it after switching back to my Australian account?

I recently made a Japanese one to upgrade my Japanese copy of ff7:R, i can play the upgraded game in my Australian account no problem..

(I'm talking about switching users on my ps5)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Anyone have the Samsung 2tb NVME with heatsink?

Just got mine yesterday and it works flawlessly although the PS5 detected about 5700~mbps write which looked lower than some of the reviews showed (6300+).

I'm not concerned as long as as my storage concerns are answered and it performs on par or better than the onboard storage.

Either way I'm pretty happy. 660+2tb nvme+5gb USB storage means I'm set.

Anyone have the Samsung 2tb NVME with heatsink?

Just got mine yesterday and it works flawlessly although the PS5 detected about 5700~mbps write which looked lower than some of the reviews showed (6300+).

I'm not concerned as long as as my storage concerns are answered and it performs on par or better than the onboard storage.

Either way I'm pretty happy. 660+2tb nvme+5gb USB storage means I'm set.
You have to update the firmware on your PC Bro.😉

Kilau

Has anyone tried updating NVME firmware using an external enclosure? I don’t want to have to swap drives in my system.

T-Cake

Has anyone tried updating NVME firmware using an external enclosure? I don’t want to have to swap drives in my system.

I was wondering the same thing but when I plug my Samsung SATA SSD in via a Sabrent USB cable, it names the drive as "Sabrent" and I'm not sure the Samsung Magician software would recognize it. I was wondering if a PCI Express card might be a better option. All this firmware stuff is what is putting me off getting an NVME drive. Shame Sony don't do their own branded version that can be updated via the PS5 itself. (Or Samsung make the Magician software available as a PS5 app.)

Kilau

I was wondering the same thing but when I plug my Samsung SATA SSD in via a Sabrent USB cable, it names the drive as "Sabrent" and I'm not sure the Samsung Magician software would recognize it. I was wondering if a PCI Express card might be a better option. All this firmware stuff is what is putting me off getting an NVME drive. Shame Sony don't do their own branded version that can be updated via the PS5 itself. (Or Samsung make the Magician software available as a PS5 app.)
Those would be good options and I wouldn’t be surprised if Sony does that eventually. Samsung will probably just stick to putting newer firmware on later manufactured drives.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Did you try Samsung Magician though?

T-Cake

Did you try Samsung Magician though?

No, I haven't had a chance yet. I might do it this very instance. I hope the PS5 being in rest mode doesn't upset it. :D

EDIT: Yup, just as I thought. It sees it as "Sabrent" and provides zero information about the drive. Drat.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Hmm, I’d prefer Samsung myself but I reaaaalllllllly don’t want to have to put the drive in my PC first and then update the firmware… sounds like western digital is the way to go for now then right?

Edit: looks like I can update the firmware using an adapter like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09G5TJHKM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Also, if you install an nvme drive in the ps5, does it give you an option to download and install a game to either drive, or it it all seem as one big drive by the OS?

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Don’t know about adaptor - but please be Guinea pig and let us know?

PS5 will see them as two separate drives.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Luckily my motherboard has two m.2 slots so I just popped mine in, updated the firmware, then stuck it in my PS5.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
UC4 remaster sounded hollow and dry playing on my c1. Perfectly fine on headphones.
I noticed that uc4 remaster is using system setting hdmi device audio.
Change it from TV to soundbar if you are using your tv speakers. It will restore back to bass

Celcius

°Temp. member
I ended up getting the western digital sn850 2tb and it’s been working great for me.

Any word on when Sony plans to drop the new firmware supporting VRR and 8K? Any time this year?

Also, any word on when the starlight blue faceplates will be available?

Last edited:

Urban

Hey boys!

Can i disable the install of a PS4 DISC version when i already downloaded or upgraded to the PS5 version? I recently bought Horizon the PS4 DISC version and loaded the PS5 from the store but every time i start my PS5 the game shows me two "tiles" one for the ps4 and one for ps5. I always need to manually "delete" the PS4 tiles. every good damn time.

It happens with every PS4 DISC Edition game i have where i downloaded the upgraded PS5 version of it.

Hey boys!

Can i disable the install of a PS4 DISC version when i already downloaded or upgraded to the PS5 version? I recently bought Horizon the PS4 DISC version and loaded the PS5 from the store but every time i start my PS5 the game shows me two "tiles" one for the ps4 and one for ps5. I always need to manually "delete" the PS4 tiles. every good damn time.

It happens with every PS4 DISC Edition game i have where i downloaded the upgraded PS5 version of it.
This is a well known issue. You can't fix this shit. It's a problem on Sonys side.

That's why only buy the native PS5 version. This shit is also pissing me off.

Urban

I bought the PS4 of Horizon and installed the PS5 version via store but why is the patch copying taking so long ? I thought the PS5 editions of a game won’t copy that long ?

The 1.06 patch (1GB) downloaded so fast but it installs for 5-10 min now ?

Do you guys have to wait for the installing of the native PS5 version patches also so long?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Is there no way to force the OS to show more than 7 games at a time in the main menu bar? I want to see them all

Last edited:

CZY

I bought the PS4 of Horizon and installed the PS5 version via store but why is the patch copying taking so long ? I thought the PS5 editions of a game won’t copy that long ?

The 1.06 patch (1GB) downloaded so fast but it installs for 5-10 min now ?

Do you guys have to wait for the installing of the native PS5 version patches also so long?
Yes? They’re long as hell sometimes too. There’s nothing wrong with your PS5 if that’s what you’re asking.

Nitty_Grimes

Bought a Samsung 2Tb 980 pro yesterday for the console. Still had to upgrade the firmware on the drive but when I installed it into console easily got over 6500mb now. So at least that problem is ironed out.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Could anyone with the media remote answer a few questions please?

1. Can you turn your TV off using a button on the remote?

2. If yes, does that also turn the PS5 off at the same time?

3. What’s battery life like? In previous bluetooth remotes it’s been pretty poor and I’m assuming this is also Bluetooth.

I’m after a streaming unit that I can connect through Ethernet and I’m in 2 minds whether to use my PS5 (I’m worried it will become loud after a few years of heavy use) and just buying an Apple TV.

Urban

Yes? They’re long as hell sometimes too. There’s nothing wrong with your PS5 if that’s what you’re asking.
No no i think there is a difference.

Here is a example of what i mean(same game):

1 Disc Game "X" (PS5 Edition) --> installed from disc --> patch installation time nearly instant
1 Disc Game "X" (PS4 Disc ) --> Insert CD -> Load PS5 Edition from the game store --> patch installation time like when its the PS4 version for PS5 Edition from the Store.

unfortunately i dont have a PS4 & PS5 Edition of Horizon here to test it.

SSfox

I was looking for this topic, and this just POP UP!!

So guys i have question please, is there a way to use optical port for Audio on PS5?

MikeM

Most recent update nerffed the volume of the home screen, trophy pops and home screen sound effects. Why Sony????

mitchman

Gold Member
In general, it seems faster than PS4. It could be EA servers. From what I hear EA servers have been spotty of late.
PS5 is not so influenced by the throttling of speeds if an game or app is suspended in the background like PS4 was. PS4 would, on purpose, throttle speeds significantly if anything was suspended in the background.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Don't know a great place for this to go but if you are looking for a great deal on a Samsung 980 pro (1tb refurb) for your PS5 Best Buy is selling them for $115 USD today. YMMV in terms of delivery/availability but if you don't want to spend $200 on a new one and don't mind if it craps out down the road this could be a great pickup!

Ehhh...not that great of a deal since all the drives are currently on sale.. You can get the 1tb version with a heatsink for $169.

Last edited:

LucasBR

How does the ps5 still not have a web browser? Even the ps3 had one…

I remember reading something related to avoid exploits in its firmware, something like that. If i'm not wrong there's a way to use it on ps5, try checking out youtube, you might find something there.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I remember reading something related to avoid exploits in its firmware, something like that. If i'm not wrong there's a way to use it on ps5, try checking out youtube, you might find something there.
If you go to the main world menu of gt7 and click the link in the upper right corner to go to the website, then scroll down and click on the YouTube link, it will let you surf YouTube in a browser and watch videos lol. I just find it strange that they don’t put a standalone full fledged app in the OS, like the ps3 had.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Is Persona 5 Dancing compatible with PS5? I tried to download the demo but it says not compatible with PS5. Somehow the full game shows up on the store though… is it compatible?

edit: looks like the demo isn't for some reason but the full game is

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I'm starting to detect several flaws with NG+ and beyond in Elden Ring. The caves and dungeons are pretty much useless the second time around, as you've already collected all the stuff there. Other things get redundant too, such ruins, evergaols and towers, which makes exploration less fun. I'm in Liurnia now and have done Limgrave and Caelid and I'm starting to get bored. However, starting a new character is such a chore and something I'd rather not do, just because the game is too goddamn big. Just the thought of starting over just makes me say nope. I played Bloodborne and Dark Souls repeatedly just because the campaign was so tight and focused, and you could make different builds without it taking too much time. In Elden Ring I don't feel the same way and that revelation sucks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom