• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 Compatible Headsets with 3D Audio support "off brands PS5 headsets".

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I have steelseries Siberia 800 for over 4 years and they are solid af. Are the arctis 7 the top of the line now?

I paid $140 for mine, the 2019 editions appear to be about the same. So I don't know if that budget range = top of the line.

There are 9X's now and a Pro model that's $330 and appears to have more features. I bet someone else here could provide an informed opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSX
I've been looking at the Steel Series Arctis 7P and they seem nice. The 9X has bluetooth though which is nice because you don't need a dongle with some devices.

Last edited:
My only question is

Will it support universal bluttoth audio?

Im one of those that dont like headsets only wants to use bluttoth mic for talking

this may work only with some specifics headphones....

tried those videos with sony;
wf-1000xm3
V-MODA Crossfade

Nothing at all, same shit as 2012 videos

Last edited:

travisktl

All will work, but not all are finely tweaked.

I will test my old Astro A40 through the DualSense.

A9951518.jpg

The mixamp won't work, indeed, except if there is an adapter? So I'll test just the headset and compare it to Pulse 3D.

6430164_rd.jpg

Some games won't support Tempest 3D Audio, so you would still need 7.1 Channel for those games. But through the Tempest all of them should work as Cerny stated, and as some good musicians around here that know about HRTF-based 3D stated. I would love to have @IllegalLemon @Audiophile thurnishaleygw thurnishaleygw travisktl travisktl join us here! They have so much knowledge about headsets and audio.
Technically, any pair of stereo headphones should work. Check out binaural audio tests on YouTube (there are a few really good ones), and you should be able to get the effect with any pair of headphones you have. It all comes down to how the audio is recorded and processed afterwards.

FrankWza

Technically, any pair of stereo headphones should work. Check out binaural audio tests on YouTube (there are a few really good ones), and you should be able to get the effect with any pair of headphones you have. It all comes down to how the audio is recorded and processed afterwards.

I think the plan is for everyone to try their headphones/headset they have and report with any tips or tricks, Mic compatibility and overall reviews

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
can you try to go optical out from your tv and plug in the mixamp to the console with usb? Maybe you will still be able to mix?

Will try it out then later ;) Remind me.

Yup, I can feel those even with my cellphone's stereo headphones.

Reactions: PSX

Reallink

None of these demos work for me. The back 180 degree sound stage works well and I can position everything accurately, but the front 180 doesn't work at all. Everything in the front either sounds like it's directly overhead or a regular stereo image. I need to send Cerney a picture of my ears for some custom HRTF, mine is clearly nowhere close to the best fit average most implementations use.

I think the plan is for everyone to try their headphones/headset they have and report with any tips or tricks, Mic compatibility and overall reviews
But you guys mean that on a more hardware on hardware compatibility basis, right? I mean, what travisktl travisktl is saying is that the 3D Audio aspect of the sound has nothing to do with the actual hardware you experience it on (headsets or headphones), it's something that happens on an internal level on PS5 and it's presented as a 2 channel stereo mix for any headphones. If there are any compatibility issues is going to be, quite simply, that whichever headset not working, just does not work on PS5, regardless of the sound mix it's supposed to receive.

Now, if some people have working headsets and their problem is that they don't experience the sound as anything more than a simple stereo signal, that's when things get complicated, 'cause then the issue is probably HRTF related, it being that that person is probably one of those outliers Cerny made reference to when speaking about the tech on the Road to PS5 talk.

HRTF (to be specific, HRIR) addresses the delays when perceiving sound from a point and that sound entering each ear canal at any given point in time taking into account each ear's positions regarding the source of the sound, replicating that delay so that you positively hear the sound presented to you on a spatially accurate form, same that you would in real life. The thing is, to replicate this accurately for each person, we would have to take into account everyone's ear canal shape, size, their head density...so, obviously, that's an impossible task. What they're doing is, having as much HRTF profiles measured as they can (remember on Road to PS5, the photos of Sid Shuman having his measured on an anechoic chamber), making some profiles that can be as "one-size-fits-all" as they can. But obviously that's not going to happen.

Self

HRTF (to be specific, HRIR) addresses the delays when perceiving sound from a point and that sound entering each ear canal at any given point in time taking into account each ear's positions regarding the source of the sound, replicating that delay so that you positively hear the sound presented to you on a spatially accurate form, same that you would in real life.

Interesting read mate.
The thing I'm sceptical about is that in real life sound waves hit the ears in different angles, while headphones can't do that. Delays can be simulated, but angles do change the frequencies as well. I can't see how headphones can ever reach actual discrete surround sound setups.

Interesting read mate.
The thing I'm sceptical about is that in real life sound waves hit the ears in different angles, while headphones can't do that. Delays can be simulated, but angles do change the frequencies as well. I can't see how headphones can ever reach actual discrete surround sound setups.
Binaural panning comes in handy for that. It places the sounds around you in a way a simple L/R panning technique can't do, so that sound is effectively reaching your ear canals from those different angles and places.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone tried the Audeze Penrose? Are they any good?

they’re not out yet and IIRC those who preordered them just got a email a day or so ago letting them know there is going to be a further delay

Last edited by a moderator:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Some parts of Sony's 3R sorcery, related to spatial audio:

EDIT: I'm intruiged by those Sony open back headsets that have "Not for Sale" written on them! Seem like something beyond anything in the market from Sony.

Last edited:

gamer82

I've been looking at the Steel Series Arctis 7P and they seem nice. The 9X has bluetooth though which is nice because you don't need a dongle with some devices.

im in need of a headset might just get the 7x encase i pick up a xbox down the road. since the p wont allow you to use it on there , very odd that the xbox one works for PlayStation but not the other way around.

Last edited:
Some parts of Sony's 3R sorcery, related to spatial audio:

EDIT: I'm intruiged by those Sony open back headsets that have "Not for Sale" written on them! Seem like something beyond anything in the market from Sony.

In relation to that, I am probably going to purchase this to give it a try:

The principle behind it is basically the same, and I'm curious to hear how well it's able to recreate the spaces. I already have some experience with Slate Digital's Virtual Recording Studio stuff, and they usually do a pretty good job modeling analog gear via software.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
In relation to that, I am probably going to purchase this to give it a try:

The principle behind it is basically the same, and I'm curious to hear how well it's able to recreate the spaces. I already have some experience with Slate Digital's Virtual Recording Studio stuff, and they usually do a pretty good job modeling analog gear via software.

These are pretty interesting! Would love to hear about them with PS5 if you're gonna do the honor ;)

These are pretty interesting! Would love to hear about them with PS5 if you're gonna do the honor ;)
This is aimed towards mixing and mastering, though. It needs software to emulate the spaces on the headphones. Same as the Sony technology, really. Is not something that is going to translate to an environment like the PS5. Sony could do it with their own technology, potentially, but I am highly skeptical that they would. It is something much more aimed to us working on the sound engineering/mixing/mastering side of things.

The intent is to deliver a listening experience that mimics that of an acoustically treated room with a good set of monitors, but on headphones, so that you could potentially mix something just on headphones (which is something that usually you should absolutely avoid because headphones create an unnatural sound field, it places the sound inside your head as opposed to around you, so even if you can do a good chunk of the mix with headphones, you should always do a reality check on monitors).

Having a tool like this that gives us the power to potentially being able to mix a song to a good quality standard absolutely everywhere by doing it just on headphones could be nuts, honestly. Not that it can't be done right now, you can mix stuff on headphones and make it sound good, but it is not the best approach.

(Sorry about these walls of text )

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This is aimed towards mixing and mastering, though. It needs software to emulate the spaces on the headphones. Same as the Sony technology, really. Is not something that is going to translate to an environment like the PS5. Sony could do it with their own technology, potentially, but I am highly skeptical that they would. It is something much more aimed to us working on the sound engineering/mixing/mastering side of things.

The intent is to deliver a listening experience that mimics that of an acoustically treated room with a good set of monitors, but on headphones, so that you could potentially mix something just on headphones (which is something that usually you should absolutely avoid because headphones create an unnatural sound field, it places the sound inside your head as opposed to around you, so even if you can do a good chunk of the mix with headphones, you should always do a reality check on monitors).

Having a tool like this that gives us the power to potentially being able to mix a song to a good quality standard absolutely everywhere by doing it just on headphones could be nuts, honestly. Not that it can't be done right now, you can mix stuff on headphones and make it sound good, but it is not the best approach.

(Sorry about these walls of text )

I fully get you. Some songs feel great with headphones, when I listen to them on my car suddenly they're kinda bad. Could be my weak-ass sound system in my car though. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Captn

This is from 5 years ago. I have a pair of Beyer Dynamics wired Custom Gaming Stereo headphones and after listening to the below, I can safely say that I should be good loll!! And so are many of you with a stereo headset. No need for some 5.1/7.1 virtual surround headset for this tech to work.

FrankWza

This is from 5 years ago. I have a pair of Beyer Dynamics wired Custom Gaming Stereo headphones and after listening to the below, I can safely say that I should be good loll!! And so are many of you with a stereo headset. No need for some 5.1/7.1 virtual surround headset for this tech to work.

There’s no 5.1/7.1 virtual surround headset. We’re all aware you just need headphones. This is testing which perform best and which can be used with the system and not necessarily plugged into the controller and so on. Just different input from everyone since it’s new tech with a new sound format and built specifically for games. Just everyone paying it forward with info. When you get your PS5 plug in those beyers however many ways you can and put in your review.

Captn

There’s no 5.1/7.1 virtual surround headset. We’re all aware you just need headphones. This is testing which perform best and which can be used with the system and not necessarily plugged into the controller and so on. Just different input from everyone since it’s new tech with a new sound format and built specifically for games. Just everyone paying it forward with info. When you get your PS5 plug in those beyers however many ways you can and put in your review.

Yeah, I can't wait to test them out. Personally I believe that plugging that 3.5 into the controller or using usb with the ps5 will bold down to the same results as compared to PC where there is a difference. I prefer the 3.5 wired way. I have much more control using this on PC then using a usb connection like I had on my previous Hyper X cloud headset.

FrankWza

Yeah, I can't wait to test them out. Personally I believe that plugging that 3.5 into the controller or using usb with the ps5 will bold down to the same results as compared to PC where there is a difference. I prefer the 3.5 wired way. I have much more control using this on PC then using a usb connection like I had on my previous Hyper X cloud headset.

I hear ya. We all may have some legacy mixamps and headset that connect via optical that we can test with tv out workarounds too. All sorts of tests to do. Help each other out.

I fully get you. Some songs feel great with headphones, when I listen to them on my car suddenly they're kinda bad. Could be my weak-ass sound system in my car though. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:
It's more likely that the mix didn't get tested on different scenarios. It's one of the crucial steps of a mix, listening to it on different equipment. I hear all of my mixes in multiple devices before I qualify it as finished. Gotta try it on headphones, smartphone, laptop, TV and a car at the very least.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It's more likely that the mix didn't get tested on different scenarios. It's one of the crucial steps of a mix, listening to it on different equipment. I hear all of my mixes in multiple devices before I qualify it as finished. Gotta try it on headphones, smartphone, laptop, TV and a car at the very least.

Throw us some if you have anything available ;)

shubik

Is there any info out yet if the PS5 will allow the use of other non-Sony Bluetooth headsets and devices like the AirPods pros?

FrankWza

those earcups look way too shallow. For me, I will do anything and everything I can to not get a game specific headset. But If I have to, I’ll just go with the pulse 3d or a Sony platinum that will probably sound best with tempest. I am hoping there is a workaround to use my current headphones and mic with mix capabilities.
Also, those Arctic have small drivers

Last edited:

FrankWza

I wonder if the Astro mixamp is compatible with 3D sound? Maybe if I turn off the virtual surround.

i had asked bo to test that out. If you go into your tv and optical out to mixamp it should work, that’s basically what the Astro adapter does. But the question too is, will the mixing with chat work if you plug the mixamp into the PS5 via usb? That’s what strange about tempest not being available day one for anything besides usb audio. The Astro adapter splits sound from the hdmi cable and adds an optical port to the PS5.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I wonder if the Astro mixamp is compatible with 3D sound? Maybe if I turn off the virtual surround.

I have A40+mixamp. I'm try it out. But it's already inferior to HDMI though. Personally, I'll just throw them in the closet, and use A40 alone and test it. But I've preordered the Pulse 3D.

FrankWza

I have I'm try it out. But it's already inferior to HDMI though. Personally, I'll just throw them in the closet, and use A40 alone and test it. But I've preordered the Pulse 3D.

what do you mean inferior to hdmi? Because they’re wireless? Is there a mixamp that offers hdmi audio or are you meaning a dac? I always liked the sound quality of the Astro amps through optical. Have you tried other headphones/headset with the mixamp?As good as the mixamps are, their headphones are hit or miss.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
what do you mean inferior to hdmi? Because they’re wireless? Is there a mixamp that offers hdmi audio or are you meaning a dac? I always liked the sound quality of the Astro amps through optical. Have you tried other headphones/headset with the mixamp?As good as the mixamps are, their headphones are hit or miss.

Both HDMI and optical pass digital audio from one device to another. ... The biggest difference is that HDMI can pass higher-resolution audio, including the formats found on Blu-ray: Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio. These formats can't get transmitted across optical.

EDIT:

7255iFD69B30822352709

Last edited:

FrankWza

Both HDMI and optical pass digital audio from one device to another. ... The biggest difference is that HDMI can pass higher-resolution audio, including the formats found on Blu-ray: Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio. These formats can't get transmitted across optical.

Yeah, no doubt. I thought you were referring to another headset. Optical is good enough to pass tempest headphones. At least it seems to be based on the ones that Sony approved so far.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I would hate to give up my Beyerdynamic DT770's and the option to listen to music/vids from the PC or chat on discord while playing PS5 - I actually might disregard 3D sound for it.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Are the platinum on that list or it's just wishful thinking?

There is no such list from Sony though, it's our made up. All headset should work, but some will be tweaked for PS5 gaming (bass/etc). And here is PS4 using even PS3 headsets:

C0UVON1UoAEvNRH.jpg

Ciso5WaUUAAzVKf.jpg

So with Sony's own headsets you get further tweaking inside PS4, so expect something similar on PS5.

B3lTYde.jpg

GymWolf

There is no such list from Sony though, it's our made up. All headset should work, but some will be tweaked for PS5 gaming (bass/etc). And here is PS4 using even PS3 headsets:

C0UVON1UoAEvNRH.jpg

Ciso5WaUUAAzVKf.jpg

So with Sony's own headsets you get further tweaking inside PS4, so expect something similar on PS5.

B3lTYde.jpg
Soooo...very probable wishfull thinkings?!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Soooo...very probable wishfull thinkings?!

It's not:

On the PS5, you’ll be able to experience 3D Audio with the headphones that many of you already own, either through USB connection to the console, or by plugging your headphones into the DualSense wireless controller’s 3.5mm headset jack.

Why would they skip their own?

GymWolf

It's not:

On the PS5, you’ll be able to experience 3D Audio with the headphones that many of you already own, either through USB connection to the console, or by plugging your headphones into the DualSense wireless controller’s 3.5mm headset jack.

Why would they skip their own?
I guess i'm just pessimistic then.

Top Bottom