• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 Backwards Compatibility Tested - And It's Fantastic!

splattered

It does run better, it seems to hurt some people, but that's a fact. Locked 60 > unstable 60 any day. Running = FPS

Graphics look exactly the same. 1800p checkerboard vs 1800p native for example is virtually identical, so it's not like it changes anything.

Looks like some people must be put on suicide watch from today... It's okay, your machine is still fine.

Just no.

vkbest

Looks like PS5 problem is that it "respects" the game, unlike the SeX that tries to force things a bit.
Looks like that's the reason why the original 1.0 version of Unity is running so slow, it's not using the GPU properly. Because that version isn't aware of any compatibility modes is speculated that the GPU is running at the same clock as the PS4.
I hope Sony will release a update to override these cases.

This game run as crap on PS4 without patches

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
It does run better, it seems to hurt some people, but that's a fact. Locked 60 > unstable 60 any day. Running = FPS

Graphics look exactly the same. 1800p checkerboard vs 1800p native for example is virtually identical, so it's not like it changes anything.

Looks like some people must be put on suicide watch from today... It's okay, your machine is still fine.
Does it have have red dead redemption 1 and the Witcher 2 in 4K ?

Looks like some people must be put on suicide watch from today... It's okay, your machine is still fine. I told you from the start XSX wouldn't have "a huge advantage" and there would only be a small difference one way or the other. Here we are.

In the end, both machines are doing BC pretty well, that's what matters.

I'll take the fixed 60fps thank you very much.

Others can judder through their BC titles.

By this logic... considering the better performance we ARE seeing on unlocked/dynamic BC games on the SX does this mean that if a dev went in and unlocked settings for the games it would more likely perform better on the SX due to overall system power advantage?

Neither system are emulating with anything other than brute horsepower, so in theory yes. But don't forget PS5 boost mode too, which could be a factor down the line.

Currently the ways in which the PS5 BC is better are only down to the higher resolution expectations of the One X versions and only when Series X doesn't meet 60fps at that (or an unpatched game which OG Xbox One kept 900p)

Another example is Battlefield 5, which runs at dynamic 1800p on PS4Pro and dynamic 4k on Xbox One X. On PS5 that'll be 1800p locked and 60 FPS, but the Series X version holds to 60fps at 4k solidly so the increased resolution means it's the better version.

The PS5 could do that too, but the resolution limit means additional power is lost.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kagey K

Banned

Looks like some people must be put on suicide watch from today... It's okay, your machine is still fine. I told you from the start XSX wouldn't have "a huge advantage" and there would only be a small difference one way or the other. Here we are.

In the end, both machines are doing BC pretty well, that's what matters.
VRR stops the “instability “ to the point you won’t see the frame drops, while still holding better resolution.

Also these are cherry picked best case scenario games, as more and more games are tested it’s not going to be as favourable.

splattered

Neither system are emulating with anything other than brute horsepower, so in theory yes. But don't forget PS5 boost mode too, which could be a factor down the line.

Currently the ways in which the PS5 BC is better are only down to the higher resolution expectations of the One X versions and only when Series X doesn't meet 60fps at that (or an unpatched game which OG Xbox One kept 900p)

Another example is Battlefield 5, which runs at dynamic 1800p on PS4Pro and dynamic 4k on Xbox One X. On PS5 that'll be 1800p locked and 60 FPS, but the Series X version holds to 60fps at 4k solidly so the increased resolution means it's the better version.

The PS5 could do that too, but the resolution limit means additional power is lost.

Yeah but do we know if the PS5 "boost mode" is anything but a pass through of the legacy PS4 Pro boost mode for BC titles? So a title like Sekiro is probably already running in boost mode with stable frames but lower resolution... so boost mode still won't make a difference in most cases if games do get unlock patches? Just speculating...

Fbh

By this logic... considering the better performance we ARE seeing on unlocked/dynamic BC games on the SX does this mean that if a dev went in and unlocked settings for the games it would more likely perform better on the SX due to overall system power advantage?

Yes.
If devs went in and patched resolution on the XSX version of their games to match the Ps4Pro/Ps5 version then it would also lock them to 60fps.

The difference in these games is carried over from last (current?) gen.

Yeah but do we know if the PS5 "boost mode" is anything but a pass through of the legacy PS4 Pro boost mode for BC titles? So a title like Sekiro is probably already running in boost mode with stable frames but lower resolution... so boost mode still won't make a difference in most cases if games do get unlock patches? Just speculating...

No idea about boost mode tbh, I assume it will be implemented in conjunction with patches to unlock resolution and frame rate or otherwise it's mostly wasted. The opportunities for PS5 to hit 4k in BC mode are exceedingly limited

Hahahah, what? Where are you getting this info from?

Those are gen 7 games, which PS5 can't emulate.

RDR1 was Xbox 360 console exclusive even.

Krisprolls

Banned
Those are gen 7 games, which PS5 can't emulate.

RDR1 was Xbox 360 console exclusive even.

Yes. I doubt we see PS3 games on BC anytime soon, too hard to emulate properly.

RDR1 wasn't a console exclusive though (or you mean timed exclusive ?), I had the PS3 version. It ran much better on 360 though.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Very impressed. I’m curious, can the PS5 throw its oomph into something with a dynamic, unlocked resolution as well, and have that see gains?

Yes. I doubt we see PS3 games on BC anytime soon, too hard to emulate properly.

RDR1 wasn't a console exclusive though (or you mean timed exclusive ?), I had the PS3 version. It ran much better on 360 though.

Didn't know this. I went pc only near the start of that gen until today.

NXGamer

ryWGkmy.png

from an spanish review... just look what they transfered from a PS4... They said that when they transfered the PT worked fine... but as right now it not longer works
It's not True, PT never worked from out of the box. This is just an external HDD plugged in transfer, I did the same.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I'm not impressed as some of you are but then again I do primarily play on PC and exclusives only on PS4. I am fucking disappointed BB has not been worked with...wtf. I have no reason to replay anything else... still hoping for a PC version at least but if they didnt bother with the fucking PS5 why would they even make a PC one..? Whatever. Any news on Nioh 2?

"The legendary disc version of Assassin's Creed Unity, with its unlocked frame-rate, produces a flawless 60 frames per second experience on Xbox Series X. The PlayStation 4 disc code is similarly unlocked, but certain areas of the game and depth-of-field-heavy cutscenes see performance plummet - sometimes as low as the mid 30s. "

Also, no 16x anisotropic filtering confirmed
Really sucks that digital version owners are SOL here.

Reminds me of Batman Arkham Origins, and the development shitshow that was.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

BC looks very good. Two of my favorite games which I play regularly, Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro, capped at 60 fps. I come from base PS4 so gonna see a huge increase in quality on my PS4 collection. Gonna be fun replaying Just Cause 3 too, that game ran like garbage and was nearly unplayable when chaos ensued.

As it is now, I'm just gonna pause the games I play now at PS4 and wait for PS5.

LordOfChaos

Hmm interesting, 25 minutes in they say the PS5 is always running in HDR mode if connected to a HDR display, but it's tone mapped if it's running a PS4 game not in HDR, but you still see brighter brights and such elements of HDR mode of the display itself. Not quite auto HDR of Series X, but it is something.

On reflecting on it, since everything back to the OG PS4 could do HDR already, auto HDR isn't that big a miss, because developers had years to make their PS4 games HDR if they chose to, there's a bigger base of them, and then there's no worry for messing up a developers vision with the auto conversion.

So some of the BC games on the PS5 that have slightly better frame rates are actually running at lower ps pro resoultion compared to native, is that right?

The only time you'll get resolution improvements in unpatched PS4 games on PS5 are those with dynamic resolutions.

RAIDEN1

I wouldn't go as far as to say its "fantastic" - Fantastic would be, having the ability to play from PS4 all the way back to PS1. With some sort of workaround to get PS3 titles on there..Xbox shows how to do backward compatibility right when you get the chance to play titles which have not been bettered to this day: Panzer Dragoon Orta, Virtua Fighter 5, Burnout, MGS 2-3 hd, Rockstars Table Tennis....

skneogaf

Ps4 games at 1080p 60fps on ps5

Ps4pro games at 1440p 60fps on ps5

Xbox one games at 900p 60fps on xbox series x

Xbox one x games at 4k 60fps on xbox series x.

Is what I got from this video, absolutely locked 60fps apart from syndicate on ps5.

99 percent locked 60fps on xbox series x.

I am very happy with both results for backwards compatibility.

Now we need to bombard from software to unlock fps in bloodborne.

chinoXL

And all is a sudden Backwards compatibility becomes a huge selling point....
it usually isn't for me but i didnt get to finish TLOU2 and Ghost of Sushi, so to be able to run them at a sexy 60fps is good to know...its just a cheery on top, def not a selling point for me

Top Bottom