• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 Backwards Compatibility Tested - And It's Fantastic!

Yoboman

Seems like Ubisoft games in particular have some oddities with PS5 BC whereas the rest work well, I wonder if its some shared code across their engine base

P. T. supports backward compatibility with PS5, but you can't run the game "by the publisher's decision

Yoboman

In certain situations for current gen games, yes. I'm not sure most of Richard's examples highlighted it all that well though.

In other situations, and in general, Xbox Series X has superior BC.
Both seem to do BC about as well as you can expect. There will be differences but it seems to come down to how the last gen system handled the game. I dont think we need to keep the dick measuring going

Yoboman

P. T. supports backward compatibility with PS5, but you can't run the game "by the publisher's decision

Fuck Konami, seriously.

So some of the BC games on the PS5 that have slightly better frame rates are actually running at lower ps pro resoultion compared to native, is that right?

Fbh

Good stuff for sure. Better than I expected to be honest.

The obsession a lot of devs had with pushing high resolutions or even native 4K at any cost on Xbox 1 X seems to still hurt performance in some games even on next gen. Hopefully it's something devs take into consideration this gen, always offer a dynamic Res option for people who care more about performance than resolution.

Cherry picking one image when everything else in the video says otherwise LOL.

That's pretty much every Digital Foundry Thread ever lol.
"Screenshot the one frame in a 30 minutes video that fits your narrative and post it over and over again".

I still remember when the Pro came out and they tested Nioh. The overall conclusion was that it looked and ran much better than on base Ps4, but they mentioned that in very rare and extreme situations they saw the resolution briefly drop to 720p.... and then the entire thread moving forward was basically "Lol Nioh runs at 720p on Ps4 Pro".

So some of the BC games on the PS5 that have slightly better frame rates are actually running at lower ps pro resoultion compared to native, is that right?

Yes.
Games which aren't patched just run with the resolution and performance target of their last gen version.
Ps4 Pro games usually target lower resolutions or have dynamic resolution enabled while some X1X games target a higher resolution or are set to native 4K. That resolution is carried over into next gen BC and translates into smoother framerates on Ps5. Same way a lot of games perform slightly better on Ps4Pro than X1X.

Last edited:
Both seem to do BC about as well as you can expect. There will be differences but it seems to come down to how the last gen system handled the game. I dont think we need to keep the dick measuring going

I'm with you on that, it's about maximising the last gen (PS4Pro Vs Xbox One X) and, in that, they've both succeeded

Caio

Very good news, and I will be very happy to play again some of the best PS4 games at 60fps.

Because it runs those games at a much higher resolution, because the Xbox one X version had a higher resolution.
Only for unity, where both games had the same resolution, we see this beauty:

So much better:

EmJIASsU0AAK9z6
Rewatch the video until you understand why there is a difference in unity. Some people have to watch it multiple times to grasp it, it looks like. This is the unpatched version of the game also. The game runs in 30 fps on both consoles

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Bloodborne is not only Fromsoft, maybe Japan Studio will do the patch.

Its still FROM doing the primary (engine) development, and a publisher cannot just go in and start fiddling with their code. It'd be an absolute disaster for developer relations at the very least due to the precedent it'd set.

Looks like PS5 problem is that it "respects" the game, unlike the SeX that tries to force things a bit.
Looks like that's the reason why the original 1.0 version of Unity is running so slow, it's not using the GPU properly. Because that version isn't aware of any compatibility modes is speculated that the GPU is running at the same clock as the PS4.
I hope Sony will release a update to override these cases.

Kokoloko85

Looks good. Glad I waited for FF15 and Dark Souls 3 for PS5
Disappointed in the loading speeds though And any quick resume?

Last edited:

reksveks

So in the end :
Series X BC 4 generarions with good performance
PS5 BC 1 generation but better implemented and is the most recent one so tons of updated games to play.
Not better implemented, don't want to have keep repeating this. It's just a matter that the power difference between the PS5/PS4 Pro is greater than XSX/X1X.

Looks like PS5 problem is that it "respects" the game, unlike the SeX that tries to force things a bit.
Looks like that's the reason why the original 1.0 version of Unity is running so slow, it's not using the GPU properly. Because that version isn't aware of any compatibility modes is speculated that the GPU is running at the same clock as the PS4.
I hope Sony will release a update to override these cases.
The only thing that XSX is forcing that would impact FPS is the 16AF.

On this topic, I wonder if the PS5 has the VSYNC hack that Xbox have shown to double FPS.

N30RYU

ryWGkmy.png

from an spanish review... just look what they transfered from a PS4... They said that when they transfered the PT worked fine... but as right now it not longer works

Last edited:

LarknThe4th

I still don't get the appeal with old games payed via BC.

But nice to these that care.

Wrong thread?

BTW that was not the "surprise" video.
I mean just because a game is old doesn't mean it bad, and the chances that someone who buys a PS5 bought all the great games on PS4 is very low, well now with a robust BC solution someone can buy a PS5 and purchase a boatload of PS4 gems for a pittance, and with improved visuals, load times and frame rates

Krisprolls

Banned
But they never said the vast majority of games.

Games running in lower resolutions will perform better, if they fail to lock 60fps this is not surprising

Nearly every game is locked 60 fps on PS5, a lot of them aren't locked 60 at all on XSX. You can turn it the way you want, that's where we are now. Which doesn't make the XSX bad at all. The problem is too many people hyped it through the roof as "the most powerful console ever", "RDNA 2.X" and so on so when that happens, obviously it's a disappointment for some.

For example, on Sekiro, game looks exactly the same, 1800p native vs 1800p checkerboard, identical graphics according to DF, locked 60 on PS5, unstable fps on XSX. Not half the res at all lol. Don't worry, it's ok, the game is still perfectly playable on XSX even if it's not the best version.

Last edited:
Definitely wasn’t expecting KZ Shadow Fall at 60.

If that suggests Horizon, Until Dawn, and Death Stranding will run at 60 on PS5...:messenger_beaming:

Thirty7ven

Banned
At half the resoltion, so powerful...
But they never said the vast majority of games.

Games running in lower resolutions will perform better, if they fail to lock 60fps this is not surprising

Loving all the caveats about PS5 having better performing games in BC (Sekiro is Top 5 GOTG so, BIG DEAL) but when it comes to the SSD speeds, yall stay very quiet.

Looks exactly the same on Sekiro, 1800p native vs checkerboard, same pic, locked 60 on PS5, unstable fps on XSX. Not half the res at all lol.

Don't worry, it's ok, the game is still perfectly playable on XSX even if it's not the best version.

So one example is now the "vast majority of BC games". Right.

PS4Pro was already the best version for Sekiro. In fact, the general rule seems to be that if PS4Pro or One X had the best version then, it'll be the best version now too.

Ignoring load times of course.

Krisprolls

Banned
So one example is now the "vast majority of BC games". Right.

PS4Pro was already the best version for Sekiro. In fact, the general rule seems to be that if PS4Pro or One X had the best version then, it'll be the best version now too.

Ignoring load times of course.

They showed tons of games outside Sekiro in the video, go watch it again. Most games are locked 60 on PS5, unstable 60 on XSX. That's a fact.

It doesn't matter that much, unstable 60 is still very playable.

Last edited:

elenapska

XSX more resolution, less FPS. I wouldn't call that better BC. If we base how good is a BC solution with FPS, then XSS will be the best BC machine (less resolution more stable FPS)?

nowhat

Didn't quite catch that, can you post the same image again?
The guy has a point though - who among us wouldn't have gone through their back catalogue to see what to try to clear next and thought "I'm gonna go with unpatched AC:Unity". That's like the most common thing ever.

They showed tons of games outside Sekiro in the video, go watch it again. Most games are locked 60 on PS5, unstable 60 on XSX. That's a fact. Or ask Digital Foundry to remove the video.

It doesn't matter that much, unstable 60 is still very playable.

Again, that's not the same thing as saying the "vast majority of BC games run better on PS5"

I'll give you another example, since you can only list Sekiro. Hitman (all of them) runs at 1440p on PS5 and 60fps. On Series X it runs at native 4k (though has a 1440p mode too) and drops occasionally, like the Paris stage. In that situation, the PS5 version would be better if you value locked frame rate above all.

But, on the other hand, you have a plethora of games that are 30fps capped on both and only have a higher resolution mode in Series X, like Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster or Nier Automata. In these cases, Series X will be better.

I'll say it again, when PS4 Pro was superior, like in Sekiro, PS5 will be superior too. And the reverse.

Mahavastu

Its still FROM doing the primary (engine) development, and a publisher cannot just go in and start fiddling with their code. It'd be an absolute disaster for developer relations at the very least due to the precedent it'd set.
it was contract work, Sony contracted From Software to do the game for them, so Sony is way more then "only" the publisher.

jigglet

Banned
Without even a shadow of doubt the games that will be played the most are GaaS games like Destiny, Siege, Fortnite, Warzone etc. This is where 90% of the video should be focusing on.

Rob_27

It must be better because it does PS1 PS2 PS3 and PS4 BC right?

/ sarc

Im glad some games will be 60fps I will take that.

Yoboman

Without even a shadow of doubt the games that will be played the most are GaaS games like Destiny, Siege, Fortnite, Warzone etc. This is where 90% of the video should be focusing on.
Likely all these games will get proper next gen updates and patches. Fortnite is day one

splattered

Again, that's not the same thing as saying the "vast majority of BC games run better on PS5"

I'll give you another example, since you can only list Sekiro. Hitman (all of them) runs at 1440p on PS5 and 60fps. On Series X it runs at native 4k (though has a 1440p mode too) and drops occasionally, like the Paris stage. In that situation, the PS5 version would be better if you value locked frame rate above all.

But, on the other hand, you have a plethora of games that are 30fps capped on both and only have a higher resolution mode in Series X, like Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster or Nier Automata. In these cases, Series X will be better.

I'll say it again, when PS4 Pro was superior, like in Sekiro, PS5 will be superior too. And the reverse.

By this logic... considering the better performance we ARE seeing on unlocked/dynamic BC games on the SX does this mean that if a dev went in and unlocked settings for the games it would more likely perform better on the SX due to overall system power advantage?

Krisprolls

Banned
Is this the thread where the Sony Ponies ignore resolution and claim that PS5 BC runs better?

It does run better, it seems to hurt some people, but that's a fact. Locked 60 > unstable 60 any day. Running = FPS. Outside of some AC games apparently, for some reason.

Graphics look exactly the same. 1800p checkerboard vs 1800p native for example is virtually identical, so it's not like it changes anything.

Looks like some people must be put on suicide watch from today... It's okay, your machine is still fine. Everybody told you from the start XSX wouldn't have "a huge advantage" and there would only be a small difference one way or the other. Here we are.

In the end, both machines are doing BC pretty well, that's what matters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom