• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Vorheez

Hey guys, quick question:

I was watching Netflix and I had this weird power surge that shut my pro off. As I was turning it back on, there was a second surge and my pro shut down again. It wouldn't turn on afterwards until I unplugged it and plugged it back in. It seems to be running fine now, but should I be concerned about anything down the line?

It's probably just my anxiety talking, and also the fact that I wouldn't be able to afford a new one of it breaks. And with mass effect right around the corner, that would royally suck

Hey guys, quick question:

I was watching Netflix and I had this weird power surge that shut my pro off. As I was turning it back on, there was a second surge and my pro shut down again. It wouldn't turn on afterwards until I unplugged it and plugged it back in. It seems to be running fine now, but should I be concerned about anything down the line?

It's probably just my anxiety talking, and also the fact that I wouldn't be able to afford a new one of it breaks. And with mass effect right around the corner, that would royally suck

Don't worry Mass Effect is crap.

Joking.

I think you are 99.9999% fine if it's still working now.

I've had a few power cuts on mine and it's OK.

Vorheez

Don't worry Mass Effect is crap.

Joking.

I think you are 99.9999% fine if it's still working now.

I've had a few power cuts on mine and it's OK.
Hahah awesome, thank you for the quick reply!

I was mostly concerned about it checking the system storage on the second bootup while the power was cut.

Not sure if this is the right thread but I'm trying to test out HDR, what's the best example of this in a game? So far I feel like I'm not really understanding the hype around HDR but maybe I just haven't been looking at the right games.

That's mostly what I've been playing and I feel like I can barely tell a difference when HDR is on. I wish there was some HDR test mode on the PS4 that would show you what it's supposed to look like.

Oh you already tried that, do you use an OLED or LED TV? I played it on an OLED, so maybe that's why I see a huge difference.
A test mode would be a neat idea.

Oh you already tried that, do you use an OLED or LED TV? I played it on an OLED, so maybe that's why I see a huge difference.
A test mode would be a neat idea.

LED. I guess I'm just going to leave it be and continue to trick my mind into thinking that any change in brightness is the HDR at work.

LED. I guess I'm just going to leave it be and continue to trick my mind into thinking that any change in brightness is the HDR at work.

Ah I see, I played Horizon on an LED an then OLED, you see the difference clearly. HDR is still a thing hard to detect if used, especially on LED TV's.

Orion514

I realize that I didn't post here like I was meaning to when I traded my old PS4 for Pro at Gamestop last month.

I'm loving the upgrade with my Samsung KU6300 50" 4K TV (even if it doesn't really support HDR (rip)). All games I've tried on it so far have been super smooth, and omg Horizon in 4k is glorious. I need to try some other unsupported games with boost mode now.

Also, the experience with the trade in at Gamestop was really nice. They let me take the Pro home to transfer all the data and then bring the old PS4 back in and re-ring it up so I got the credit. The transfer went smoothly as well and only took about an hour and a half by plugging both systems into my router.

KevinG

Can't get my new B6 to detect the Pro, only getting audio. Directly connected. Any advice would be awesome.

Edit: Somehow got it to work, no clue how.

Yeah, everything's set up right as far as I can tell. I'm starting to think it's just a more underwhelming feature than I originally thought.
What did you expect? Your eyes to be seared?

HDR is an increased range of contrast. If you expected anything more than that, then your expectations are out of whack.

I really like this page's image to describe HDR:

colour_infographic.jpg

vegohead

ughh, Amazon is taking forever to get more PS4 Pro's stock in. I have 110 in credit from all the amazon promotions going on and am ready to spend it whenever it's back in stock lol.

So hyped :D

despire

Just got a Pro a few days ago! I was originally gonna maybe skip it but then the Boost Mode came and I decided that it would probably be worth it because I could sell my OG PS4 to compensate.

Got pretty lucky a few days ago when there was one unit at my work (electronics retailer) that I could get for -40% off because it was a customer return. So all in all I paid 264€ for mine :D Hoping to get around 200€ from mu OG 1TB PS4..

Anyway I've spent the last few days and nights making the transfer. First I transferred the data between the systems and then last night I backed up the stuff on the Pro to an external HDD. This morning I'm gonna swap out the hard drives because I want to keep the one I have on the old unit and then restore the Pro. Then I'm finally good to go and I can pack up the old release model.

Interested to see how the games look and perform on my 1080p TV :)

Yeah, everything's set up right as far as I can tell. I'm starting to think it's just a more underwhelming feature than I originally thought.

Do you know what HDR is, and what it's supposed to do? I think a lot people have the wrong idea about HDR.

Also which tv are you using? Have you watched any hdr video demos?

L.O.R.D

i know this question seems stupid,but hear me first

i have 1080P so i really don't care about 4K,sure there are other features like enhanced graphics or enhanced FPS,but many enhanced PS4 Pro games make the fan louder

and that sometimes make my roommate uncomfortable with the noise
my PS4 Pro is new,and not all games make loud noise from the fan
bloodborne doesn't make my PS4 Pro loud,but rise of tomb raider does
Nier automata does but not like to rise of tmb raider.

sometimes even small indie games make the fan loud.

so please don't say "why did you even bought the pro?"
well,sometimes i want to keep my PS4 silent as possible,my PS3 is super silent.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Posting this here, not sure where else to post.

Someone made a very interesting test with Horizon ZD's loading tests between internal SSD, external USB connected SSD and an external 5400 RPM HDD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcB4qfkFcbc

Load averages from starting game, initial loading to menu to loading a continue is 47 sec for internal SSD, 49 sec for external SSD and 85 seconds for 5400 RPM.

BigEmil

Posting this here, not sure where else to post.

Someone made a very interesting test with Horizon ZD's loading tests between internal SSD, external USB connected SSD and an external 5400 RPM HDD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcB4qfkFcbc

Load averages from starting game, initial loading to menu to loading a continue is 47 sec for internal SSD, 49 sec for external SSD and 85 seconds for 5400 RPM.
Making more use out of the sata3

Hi all, 3 months with my pro now. It's fantastic to join 3 years in, as you can have a really nice backlog to choose from at a nice price.
Well, here is the library i built :

AAA
Uncharted 4 (playing)
Until dawn
The witcher 3
The last of us remastered + left behind
The nathan drake collection (finished)
Street fighter V
Deus ex mankind divivided
Little big planet 3
Tearaway unfolded
Infamous first light ( finished)
Bloodborne
Metal gear solid V
Diablo 3
Odin sphere
Ratchet and clank

Indie/A
Bound
Abzu ( finished)
Inside. (Finished)
Bastion
The unfinished swan
Aliennation
Deadnation. ( finished)
The little ones
King's quest( finished)
The wolf among us
Rocket league
Lara and the temple of osiris
Life is strange
Transistor
The witness
Firewatch
Virginia (finished)
Helldivers
Resogun
Valkiria chronicles
Salt and sanctuary
Darkest dungeon
Trine 3
Invisible inc.

Foxxsoxx

So I bought a Pro and a Samsung 4k TV and I'm not sure if I'm crazy but I'm not really seeing a huge difference at all in the resolution bump from 1080p to 4k.

I was expecting something like 720p from 1080p and I can't really make out the difference, it does look slightly cleaner but that's it.

I know it isn't native 4K but I was really hoping Horizon would pop but it just looks so similar to 1080p that I can't tell if it is worth it.

Battlefield runs much smoother though, which is a plus.

I just don't know though, is this just me? I see the screens at places like Best Buy and it's such a huge difference and my screen looks nothing as clear as those. That can't be such a huge difference between LED and OLED.

shanafan

So I bought a Pro and a Samsung 4k TV and I'm not sure if I'm crazy but I'm not really seeing a huge difference at all in the resolution bump from 1080p to 4k.

I was expecting something like 720p from 1080p and I can't really make out the difference, it does look slightly cleaner but that's it.

I know it isn't native 4K but I was really hoping Horizon would pop but it just looks so similar to 1080p that I can't tell if it is worth it.

Battlefield runs much smoother though, which is a plus.

I just don't know though, is this just me? I see the screens at places like Best Buy and it's such a huge difference and my screen looks nothing as clear as those. That can't be such a huge difference between LED and OLED.

Surprised 720p to 1080p stood out for you.

What is your distance away? I am using a 4K 24" monitor at my desk for PS4 Pro, and sitting like 2 feet away, it is a big difference.

U2NUMB

Well went in today on a Pro.. pulling data from my launch PS4 as we speak. Hoping to see a bump for VR. Is it true the break out box for VR keeps 4K from happening?

Mine is whisper quiet so far so hope that continues...

What is your distance away? I am using a 4K 24" monitor at my desk for PS4 Pro, and sitting like 2 feet away, it is a big difference.

i got a couple of questions for you.

I'm also looking to buy a 4k monitor but i'm wondering if there are performance issues? Like any at all? I'm real sensitive to that kind of stuff.

Also how does 1080p content look on it? Like destiny for example?

Anung

Un Rama
Had my Pro a while but the 1tb isn't cutting it for me. What's the best internal of external harddrive with the most storage? Any benefits to loading would be great too.

Any help would be fantastic.

Had my Pro a while but the 1tb isn't cutting it for me. What's the best internal of external harddrive with the most storage? Any benefits to loading would be great too.

Any help would be fantastic.

Internal: https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Backup-Portable-External-STDR2000100/dp/B00FRHTSK4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1490618704&sr=8-4&keywords=seagate+backup

External: https://www.amazon.com/Book-Desktop-External-Drive-WDBBGB0060HBK-NESN/dp/B01LQQHKZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490618843&sr=8-1&keywords=6tb+external+hard+drive

External requires power, but only if you want 6tb or 8tb. If you want 4tb or 5tb, you could get an external Seagate drive that's exactly like the internal one I posted.

shanafan

i got a couple of questions for you.

I'm also looking to buy a 4k monitor but i'm wondering if there are performance issues? Like any at all? I'm real sensitive to that kind of stuff.

Also how does 1080p content look on it? Like destiny for example?

I've played Switch and Xbox One on it as well, and they look fine.

When shopping for a 4K monitor for PS4 Pro, you need to buy one that has a HDMI input that supports 4K @ 60 HZ. That is a requirement of the PS4 Pro. Not all monitors support this, so be sure to research before buying. Just because it may be an expensive monitor, doesn't mean it will come with it.

This is my monitor that comes with 4K @ 60 HZ - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DHS30OE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Anung

Un Rama

How's the firecuda? I remember good things being said about that back in the day. I guess it depends a decent internal with better load times vs an external with loads of tb's. I do have a crap load of games I'd like to just leave installed.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
How's the firecuda? I remember good things being said about that back in the day. I guess it depends a decent internal with better load times vs an external with loads of tb's. I do have a crap load of games I'd like to just leave installed.

Firecude is good, SSHD's also tend to give faster load times than the stock or regular 5400 RPM drives.

I only keep a few games installed, I trade them afterward so what I've done is I bought a 256GB Samsung TS (USB SSD) and have my couple of active games on it and have the 1TB internal storage as repository for digital games. I have no hesitation in deleting digital stuff after I've played it thoroughly.

The jump from 1080p to 4k isn't the end-all, be-all. The picture is going to be sharper. I like to refer to it as "razor sharp." However, if you really can't tell that, then you possibly check your picture settings? I've not picked up Horizon yet, but that definitely seems like it'd be a title where the clarity shines, being 4k checkerboarded.
I'm not 100% certain, but I think it passes 4K fine. Just not HDR.
Correct. The breakout box is only HDMI 1.4.

Anung

Un Rama
Firecude is good, SSHD's also tend to give faster load times than the stock or regular 5400 RPM drives.

I only keep a few games installed, I trade them afterward so what I've done is I bought a 256GB Samsung TS (USB SSD) and have my couple of active games on it and have the 1TB internal storage as repository for digital games. I have no hesitation in deleting digital stuff after I've played it thoroughly.

I'll have a think about it. The quicker load times sound good but having a huge chunk of my games installed and ready to go at one time would be great too.

Foxxsoxx

I went from a 32 inch 1080p Samsung to a 55 inch 4K Samsung (they're both LED).

I've tried sitting anywhere from 5 feet away to 20.

To be clear, it does look... clear. It's just that it looks as clear as 1080p did on my smaller 32 inch.

I was just expecting it to be crystal fucking clear like those display TVs at the stores that have those ULTRA HD banners under them. Even the ones that aren't ridiculously high end show this huge clarity increase that other 4K TVs weren't showing and I know the difference there couldn't have just been HDR.

For reference, I switched from Performance mode to Resolution mode in Horizon and couldn't tell a difference in which was which. However playing Nioh on my old TV going from resolution to framerate mode the difference was instantly noticeable.

This is the TV I bought, though from a different store. Again I know it isn't high end and I'm sure the HDR is fake (which I didn't know was even a thing beforehand).

For another reference, I have played multiple shows on Netflix and monitored the resolution changing from 1080p to 2160p as the stream loads in and I can't tell that it even changed unless I have the info showing by pressing L3.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/55-uh...=8356&wl13=&wl15=28407902435&wl17=1o1&veh=sem

I got my 4k TV and PS4 Pro around the same time, so it's not always obvious which one is the game-changer. But the experience is fucking sick. I'm playing Horizon, Titanfall 2, Battlefield 1, and Last Guardian. They all look incredible.

For another reference, I have played multiple shows on Netflix and monitored the resolution changing from 1080p to 2160p as the stream loads in and I can't tell that it even changed unless I have the info showing by pressing L3.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/55-uh...=8356&wl13=&wl15=28407902435&wl17=1o1&veh=sem
I don't have this TV, so forgive me, but looking at the manual, do you have "HDMI UHD Color" set to "on" on the input your Pro is going to? This online manual is not model specific, but it also mentions some models only have HDMI1 as the only input that will handle UHD.

8byte

Banned
I just got a Pro, and i seem to remember there being some differences in broadcasting options over vanilla PS4? Can anyone fill me in?

I just got a Pro, and i seem to remember there being some differences in broadcasting options over vanilla PS4? Can anyone fill me in?

1080p/60fps is an option now for streaming with 1080p/30fps being available for saving videos locally. You can also take 4K screenshots!

Anung

Un Rama
Anyone know what the best external hard drive would be? I'm looking at the Maxtor M3 4tb at the moment but whatever is reliable is good.

Top Bottom