• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

eerik9000

Finally ordered mine as Amazon France had it for €369 (+€20 for shipping). Now I just have to wait 1-2 months until they have it in stock!

Screenshot 2017-03-02 11.21.21.png

Woohoo, didn't even have to wait a week as my order was shipped yesterday. Hope to receive it early next week!

Hopey

I am getting a recertified (refurb) Pro back from sony, not sure how it will be.

Anyone have any experience with refurbs from sony?

Yep, and the upcoming firmware allows playing games off external USB 3.0 drives if you need more space.

I asked this in the firmware thread; Pro has USB 3.0 ports?

Also, anyone want to recommend me the best external solution that I can order on Amazon? Something the consensus agrees is the best?

shanafan

I asked this in the firmware thread; Pro has USB 3.0 ports?

Also, anyone want to recommend me the best external solution that I can order on Amazon? Something the consensus agrees is the best?

A hard drive is just a hard drive. Find one that is USB 3.0, a decent file storage and a price that fits your budget.

Seagate or Western Digital, you will be fine with either.

I am sure some people may report better success with one or the other, but I have external drives from both companies and they have worked completely fine for me.

Traded in my launch PS4 yesterday and ordered the Pro and Horizon, hoping it will arrive tomorrow.

Is there a consensus on which games benefit the most from being on the Pro? I currently have Uncharted 1-4, TLOU, Skyrim, Watch Dogs 2 and Battlefront, plus a bunch of PS+ downloaded games, as well as Horizon arriving with it.

deadfolk

Traded in my launch PS4 yesterday and ordered the Pro and Horizon, hoping it will arrive tomorrow.

Is there a consensus on which games benefit the most from being on the Pro? I currently have Uncharted 1-4, TLOU, Skyrim, Watch Dogs 2 and Battlefront, plus a bunch of PS+ downloaded games, as well as Horizon arriving with it.

Do you have a 4K HDR tv?

Pasedo

So guys. Not bagging out the Switch or anything because I'll get it at some point. But I needed something semi portable as I move back and forth between two locations. I was thinking the Switch would be perfect for me but right now it just doesn't have the content that excites me. So instead I opted for a portable monitor from Gechic. Its Usb powered by my PS4 Pro so I only need one power outlet. And I carry it all in one decent size bag. Now I can play an awesome selection of PS4 games at downscaled to 1080p PS4 Pro graphics. Really loving this set up and playing my PS4 Pro on the bed.

y3mfjvQT0H_50sj7W-L2BB4Z0CZYVvisuDdGIlKrD_r1Wz6SBsYo9VGcFH9NQ2m6WZsOoML8TuCDHCuNEu7CuOiBFo-cnZKKCPGoO-geuxrJxW4pNi2E2qikMHSMupkV9XSMRrPwZugouZ0ThL6CYb4pZ7lMe92uXMqaJutzHFWdU0

yella

Sold my OG PS4 last month and got a Pro. I didn't get to enjoy it much at first since I had just moved and didn't have any internet until about 2 weeks ago. This system is awesome! It's whisper quiet compared to my old system and everything just moves so much faster! Played Nioh, Nier and Horizon as my first Pro enhanced games and can already tell the difference even though I'm only playing on a 1080p tv. Just installed firmware 4.50 and enabled Boost mode so I can't wait to see how some of the older games I have play!

Hopey

So after sending it in and missing some launch games, they are sending me back a recertified pro. Anyone have any experience with refurbished sony repaired consoles?

I do not want to go through it again.

Dreez

So guys. Not bagging out the Switch or anything because I'll get it at some point. But I needed something semi portable as I move back and forth between two locations. I was thinking the Switch would be perfect for me but right now it just doesn't have the content that excites me. So instead I opted for a portable monitor from Gechic. Its Usb powered by my PS4 Pro so I only need one power outlet. And I carry it all in one decent size bag. Now I can play an awesome selection of PS4 games at downscaled to 1080p PS4 Pro graphics. Really loving this set up and playing my PS4 Pro on the bed.

y3mfjvQT0H_50sj7W-L2BB4Z0CZYVvisuDdGIlKrD_r1Wz6SBsYo9VGcFH9NQ2m6WZsOoML8TuCDHCuNEu7CuOiBFo-cnZKKCPGoO-geuxrJxW4pNi2E2qikMHSMupkV9XSMRrPwZugouZ0ThL6CYb4pZ7lMe92uXMqaJutzHFWdU0

WTF that's lit I didn't know monitors could be USB powered

KyleCross

I need help.

Got my Pro at launch, I use it every day. Two days ago I started getting no signal on my TV when turning it on. I have to wait several minutes then the signal eventually appears. And now it's randomly dropping my hdcp 2.2 support. I haven't changed cables, firmware, or anything else. All I did was switch resolution from YUV to RGB which of course my display supports, but this is when the problem started. The black screen on boot/wake up and hdcp happens even after switching back to YUV.
Anyone have any ideas here? I'm at a lose.

Vashetti

Banned
I'm initialising my Pro at the moment. I transferred my backed-up OG PS4 HDD to the Pro back at launch and figured it was worth a clean start.

Can I expect any difference? I was noticing some stuttering in the Binding of Isaac audio which triggered me enough to do it.

.J.

Banned
Anyone have any ideas here? I'm at a loss.

The first thought that comes to mind is to try a different HDMI cable if you have one available from another device. Also try the old cable in a different HDMI port on your TV if you have one. Those will end easy ways to rule out a cable issue or a TV issue, both of which are the most likely causes of the issue you're describing I'd think.

KyleCross

The first thought that comes to mind is to try a different HDMI cable if you have one available from another device. Also try the old cable in a different HDMI port on your TV if you have one. Those will end easy ways to rule out a cable issue or a TV issue, both of which are the most likely causes of the issue you're describing I'd think.
But the signal works, it just takes a while to grab it.

Feeroper

Hey everyone,

Question about the blue ray drive. When I put a disc in and it spins up I hear a very slight whine. Same when I launch a game with the disc, when it starts up and when it winds down there is a slight whine audible. It's not interfering anything and no performance issues, but I wanted to know if this is normal for everyone else? I can't recall if my old PS4 did this as well.

Hopey

So after sending it in and missing some launch games, they are sending me back a recertified pro. Anyone have any experience with refurbished sony repaired consoles?

I do not want to go through it again.

Just wanted to give an update for anyone looking for answers.

Just got my ps4 pro back from the service center, was told it was refurbished/recertified. It looks new, no smudges or anything of that nature. My old pro was beginning to creak and give when you squeeze the case because of the heat and this one is pretty solid, probably because its still new.

Hopefully it lasts but its only been a few hours, and its quiet.

The Goat

I need help.

Got my Pro at launch, I use it every day. Two days ago I started getting no signal on my TV when turning it on. I have to wait several minutes then the signal eventually appears. And now it's randomly dropping my hdcp 2.2 support. I haven't changed cables, firmware, or anything else. All I did was switch resolution from YUV to RGB which of course my display supports, but this is when the problem started. The black screen on boot/wake up and hdcp happens even after switching back to YUV.

Thought this would be fixed with 4.50, but it's not. In the middle of a Dino fight in Horizon and my screen flashed black, came back, then snow and constant flashing. I'm so sick of this issue that I'm about to ditch my Pro.

I've done every single "fix" the internet has provided. Some work for a play session, then the issue is back. I bought completely new HDMI cables, that were assured to help with the problem, but it's all the same.

It's incredibly shitty and frustrating problem. Sony seems to be ignoring it. I hope a real fix comes soon, or I think my PS4 love-in will be coming to a premature end.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Just downloaded firmware update, is this supposed to have the uncapped framerate option or whatever because I don't see it?

The setting is named Boost Mode. It's under System settings and it doesn't uncap frame rate. It just unlocks more Pro power for older games which never got specific Pro update patches.

Don't expect 30 FPS games to turn into 60 FPS but expect games to stick better to their target frame rates. For example, Just Cause 3 is not a mess and is generally a lot more playable now.

Pasedo

WTF that's lit I didn't know monitors could be USB powered

Same. It's actually pretty amazing that's it's running off one usb port and looks as crisp and bright as any regular monitor. I was having problems getting into games lately but for some reason having this kind of set up and playing on the bed allows me to focus and put in some solid hours absorbed into the game. Next game I'll play is Horizon :)

Popsickles

I need help.

I had some issues at first but I ditched the packed in hdmi cable and bought a premium one (Phillips I think) that was HDR 4k certified and have had no problems since. 4k60 HDR uses all available bandwidth and I don't think some cheaper cables are man enough

SlickVic

Horizon is the first time I've noticed the loud fan issue on the Pro. Seems to only last a few minutes and then kicks back down, but had not heard that before.

Horizon is the first time I've noticed the loud fan issue on the Pro. Seems to only last a few minutes and then kicks back down, but had not heard that before.

I just bought one about a month ago and it has been very silent however looking at the map in Horizon is the only time I hear the fan kick up to an audible level. But if not in the map it runs quiet for me.

KyleCross

I had some issues at first but I ditched the packed in hdmi cable and bought a premium one (Phillips I think) that was HDR 4k certified and have had no problems since. 4k60 HDR uses all available bandwidth and I don't think some cheaper cables are man enough
I use Amazon cables. Like I said, things were perfect for 5 months. This only just started happening to me.

Tubie

Yep.

Fans went full speed whenever I would open the map, which was so weird to me cause they would be quiet during stunning looking parts of the game.

Wag

I am now the proud owner of a refurbished PS4 Pro.

I have bought 3 games so far: Horizon, Nathan Drake Collection and Second Son (later two used).

Unfortunately just 1080p right now. I have a PS3 but didn't buy a PS4 so I decided to go right to the Pro. Will I see any advantages to playing these games on the Pro @ 1080p?

Fbh

My new Pro did act a bit weird today.

I was installing Horizon and once it was done the disc drive kept working and became abnormally loud (so far the pro has been quiter than my OG Ps4). Then I turned it off but it took like 2-3 minutes to actually do so. Then when I turned it on it gave me an error message that there had been some issue when I turned it off. I just pressed "not report" and then it went back to normal.

Anyone else has had this?

I hope it was just some software bug related to the new firmware

brawly

How would the transfer work if you were using a SSHD in the regular PS4 and want to keep using it? Is there even a way?

Sooooooo my mfing cat knocked over my ps4 and the disc drive no longer works (was already wonky as hell).

Was already semi on the fence about buying a 2nd ps4 just so me and my wife can play overwatch together.

I had heard rumors during the pro launch that some games actually run at worse fps on the pro but with better effects etc. Is this still happening?

(I have no intention of getting a 4k tv anytime soon.)

Caayn

Sooooooo my mfing cat knocked over my ps4 and the disc drive no longer works (was already wonky as hell).

Was already semi on the fence about buying a 2nd ps4 just so me and my wife can play overwatch together.

I had heard rumors during the pro launch that some games actually run at worse fps on the pro but with better effects etc. Is this still happening?

I wouldn't worry about that. The lower performance was often only 1 or 2 fps. I think Skyrim is the only game left that suffers from judder compared to the base PS4 but that might've been patched already.

Tubie

This was mostly with some early pro patched games, and I believe most of those games having issues simply patched out the supersampling on 1080p sets as a quick and dirty fix.

I don't think this will be an issue going forward. Horizon looks and performs incredible on the pro even on 1080p sets.

Rellik

Those EU box spines, man :(
US gets full game logos on their spines and we get shafted.

I'm in the UK and I have game logos on my few physical PS4 games including Watch Dogs 2, Arkham Knight, DA:I and GTAV. Are we getting different boxes to mainland Europe?

Blitzhex

I'm in the UK and I have game logos on my few physical PS4 games including Watch Dogs 2, Arkham Knight, DA:I and GTAV. Are we getting different boxes to mainland Europe?

Not sure about those games because I have them on PC, but some publishers do full logo spines for every region (activision) and some do black text on white spines (SE FF series) for all regions, but even then there are some inconsistencies.
e.g ff13, ff type-0 and ff15 have black text on white, but ff13-2 has game logo spine.

On xbox360, pretty much all eu games have game logos.

I just hate how bland normal text spines look.

Hopey

My god i thought the stand is going to be really simple but its actually pretty good. It can wobble but it's sturdy as hell.

Top Bottom