• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation ‘is working on a counterpunch to Xbox Game Pass’, claims David Jaffe

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

That’s according to God of War creator and Twisted Metal co-creator David Jaffe, who claims to have spoken to a number of sources within PlayStation about the company’s plans to respond to the popularity of Microsoft’s subscription service.

Jaffe, who worked at PlayStation for 14 years but left the company in 2007, has also heard from his sources at Sony that a response to Game Pass is in the works.

“I’ve said time and again that people who are writing Jim Ryan’s obituary are way premature,” he said in a video published on his YouTube channel on Thursday.

“We had the guy on the show yesterday that had made the petition to fire Jim Ryan and I was like, ‘dude, that’s way premature’ because Jim Ryan doesn’t owe anybody, Sony doesn’t owe anybody, the truth about what’s coming and what their counterpunch to Game Pass is.

“What I can tell you is I know they are doing some stuff because I know people at Sony who have told me that they are doing some stuff,” he continued. “There will be a response to Game Pass.

“What it is we don’t know,” Jaffe added. “Here’s what I would say I worry about. If Jim Ryan thinks the proper response to Game Pass is to emulate backwards compatibility, PS3 games, PS2, PS1, and then to also add Trophies, which is what that patent suggests they’re going to do, and they’re also going to fold in all the movies and shit and make a streaming service, he’s absolutely wrong if he thinks that mixing it with PS Now [is the way to go].

“That would make me go, ‘I don’t think the man has a clue’, because that’s not going to compete with Game Pass, but I don’t know if that’s the case, but I don’t think Jim Ryan is ready to throw under the bus at all.”

Keihart

Can you imagine Playstation boasting about bringing some of their PS1, PS2, PSP, PSVITA and PS3 as Classics to the PS5? who the fuck would not want a box with that catalogue and ease of use?

It's never gonna happen, but i'm just saying, Playstation's legacy games are a selling point and some kind of identity a promise about the future, it is the brand. The dismissal of this identity by the new management can only rub the wrong way people attached to it, the PS5 has sold on a promise made by the PS4 so changing the tune now will ofcourse have some ripples.

This E3 it's gonna be interesting, unless there are some great news on the way, it's gonna be looking grim.

they don't have the 1st party library or money to build a library to sustain a gamepass model. i'd like to see Sony drop ~$7-10 billion acquiring somebody....anybody....

microsoft done that and it hardly made a dent in their valuation. it's a rounding error to them.

Last edited:

Interfectum

they don't have the 1st party library or money to build a library to sustain a gamepass model. i'd like to see Sony drop ~$7-10 billion acquiring somebody....anybody....

microsoft done that and it hardly made a dent in their valuation. it's a rounding error to them.
They don't have the library or the studios... the only thing they could do is mimic MS and get BC going for PS1-3 and third party deals until they get a steady cadence of first party games coming... but then that would just slot them behind MS.

MonarchJT

Banned
is 100% sure that they will come out with a copy gamepass. At least if they want to stay competitive in the next 10 years (the same goes for PC games) and people that today are saying "no" ..will find a way to spin it and defend the service till death later

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
Well it is what it is guys. Can’t you just accept it? If you like PS5 then go with it, if you like Xbox then go with it. nintendo? Oh yeaaah you can go with it too. Every console and brand has its own pros and cons. Choose wisely, that’s all.

Can you imagine Playstation boasting about bringing some of their PS1, PS2, PSP, PSVITA and PS3 as Classics to the PS5? who the fuck would not want a box with that catalogue and ease of use?

It's never gonna happen, but i'm just saying, Playstation's legacy games are a selling point and some kind of identity a promise about the future, it is the brand. The dismissal of this identity by the new management can only rub the wrong way people attached to it, the PS5 has sold on a promise made by the PS4 so changing the tune now will ofcourse have some ripples.

This E3 it's gonna be interesting, unless there are some great news on the way, it's gonna be looking grim.
Especially if some of those games got upgrades like they do on Xbox. I would gladly subscribe, and Playstation is my secondary platform right now. The only thing is that I wouldn't want them to be streaming games, give me downloadable games and I'm on board

tusharngf

giphy.gif

Interfectum

You realise Sony is the market leader here right? Like last gen wasn’t even close. And this gen is looking to be the same.
I mean, this is the last holdout for the Sony fan, I get it. % of marketshare and Playstation revenue.

Meanwhile, MS is changing the entire landscape of gaming right underneath Sony's reign of the market. Makes you wonder who the leader truly is and if that will matter once Game Pass starts reaching 40-50 million subs.

Zoro7

Banned
I mean, this is the last holdout for the Sony fan, I get it. % of marketshare and Playstation revenue.

Meanwhile, MS is changing the entire landscape of gaming right underneath Sony's reign of the market. Makes you wonder who the leader truly is and if that will matter once Game Pass starts reaching 40-50 million subs.
Last holdout? You literally said they are ahead in revenue and % marketshare lol.

Microsoft is still not selling well outside of US/UK. Same story as previous gens.

Nintendo is the current market leader.

Xbox is sowing seeds at the moment, will harvest the results later.

Playstation is desperate to find a way to keep the money flowing in. Currently, they're not doing a good job.

What? Come on dude. Nintendo is doing great, but they are a distant 2nd and are nowhere close to becoming the top dog. Microsoft has made some promising moves, but they have yet to deliver games and last gen was a failure. They have a lot of work to do. What 1st party launch title(s) did they have? The generation is early and Sony has the user base. Now, they need to deliver. However, they have a comfortable lead and history has shown they are tough to topple even when they fail, like the PS3 era. They still topped MS in sales in the end.

pasterpl

Problem I can see with this is that they will probably lock it to playstation devices + streaming on anything else. While gamepass is allowing installing games on pc and Xbox + streaming on alll devices (and offer cross device saves etc. ), also there was a news re. new Sony movies coming to Netflix, so there might be issue with licensing for movies streaming (existing deals with amazon and Netflix etc.)

Little Chicken

Gold Member

FrankCaron

Given Nintendo can't even pull this off properly due to various licensing issues, I can't imagine PlayStation — the console brand that literally invented CD soundtrack inclusion in games, let alone the vast array of other publisher nuances — will be able to effectively pull it off in perpetuity.

Microsoft is paying for and investing in the privilege, both financially and technologically, in a way that neither of the other two are willing to.

MonarchJT

Banned
Right? Sony could quite literally migrate their PS/2/PSP/Vita library to PS4/5 and blast MS. But Ehh.
the total inability demonstrated in not being able to insert a competent BC mode in the ps5 suggests that they are not that good at handling this type of problem. Let's not forget that Sony is the one that after years and years could not make you change your name on PSN, and when you did or let it be done at your own risk, you could lose everything on your account

Last edited:
they already got PS Now. they just need to improve it. It has streaming which Game Pass doesn't. It has better 1st party exclusives on it (as far as Sony vs. Microsoft games), it has PS3/360 era games on it. It has a foundation. Its just not advertised well. And also has too much shovelware

MonarchJT

Banned
they already got PS Now. they just need to improve it. It has streaming which Game Pass doesn't. It has better 1st party exclusives on it (as far as Sony vs. Microsoft games), it has PS3/360 era games on it. It has a foundation. Its just not advertised well. And also has too much shovelware
gamepass have steaming and in % higher metacritic games on it than psnow

hemo memo

Gold Member
They can’t afford pitting their first party titles on a service day 1. It is insane the value Gamepass offers and still be profitable.

Top Bottom