• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation – Play Has No Limits

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Fucking awful. Cringe worthy and a waste of time.

They have had some fantastic ads in the past. Sometimes less is more and this absolutely needed less.

Also I find it hilarious that Sony thinks they are a "lux" brand, when they have basically killed off and pushed away most of the reasons why people fell in love with the platform to begin with and have fallen into the same rut that their competitors found themselves in previously. Relying on the same, safe, generic niche without finding unique and fun experiences.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Also I find it hilarious that Sony thinks they are a "lux" brand,
ps5-showcase-2021.jpg

It is definitely cringe. Notice the diamond encrusted PlayStation button icons lol. It's just a weird vibe all around.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Are they really trying to convey a ”luxury” feeling? I guess they are but to me it just comes off as a slightly awkward bling-bling and ”street” style.
Yeah, that could be the case for both their logo and weird live action ad. I guess we'll never know.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall during the marketing meetings where they decide on some of this stuff.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
ps5-showcase-2021.jpg

It is definitely cringe. Notice the diamond encrusted PlayStation button icons lol. It's just a weird vibe all around.

Really does feel as if smug/cocky Sony is back in full force. I hope I am wrong, but every action since 2016 really feels to cement this feeling.

Great Hair

Banned
"Play has no limits" is a tag line that fits Xbox's multiplatform approach better than PlayStation's "pay for patches" approach in terms of marketing.

This... whatever the fuck it was masquerading as a trailer for something... didn't do anything for me. And it utterly pales in comparison to my favourite PlayStation 4 advertisement:

Still absolutely lands.

PS2 ads are still unmatched.

Roufianos

Obviously they are trying to appear diverse and inclusive here… but how inclusive are you actually being if you pretty much exclude an entire section of your audience… especially when it’s still arguably your biggest one? 🤔
There's nothing arguable about it really. PlayStation's biggest markets are Europe and North America where whites are a comfortably the majority.

Pure tokenism / pandering.

Saber

Gold Member
I would nicely ask to anyone in this damn forum to explain exactly what the heck was that.

If it wasn't for the game references in this video, I wouldn't know if I was watching a video-game conference or one of those "Netflix Originals" ads. Not a single clue, perhaps its not even aimed at gamers.

EDMIX

I would nicely ask to anyone in this damn forum to explain exactly what the heck was that.

If it wasn't for the game references in this video, I wouldn't know if I was watching a video-game conference or one of those "Netflix Originals" ads. Not a single clue, perhaps its not even aimed at gamers.

ok...but you just described like most of Sony's ads for PS over the generations. lol

The only thing I recognized was the Aloy statue. Everything else was outside my field of knowing.
When I win the lottery and move to Dubai and live in a shiny gold skyscraper I might then have a better understanding.
Does seem that this fits with expensive perfumes, diamond rings and handbags better than a gaming console.

Yeah, this is why I don't pay attention to ads. I didn't understand anything at all, what did it have to do with gaming or Playstation? To me it was just confusing and a waste of time. Why live action? Maybe I'm just old or something 🤷‍♂️

And why did it say "Captured on a PS5" before the video? Is it supposed to be a joke that I'm not getting?

Quasicat

Hated that opening. They should have edited and updated this PS4 video adding in the Slim, Pro, and PS5 models and call it a day. It would have been much more enjoyable.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
As Bosman put it: this was VERY 2003, and perhaps not in a good way.

Pretentious nonsense, honestly. Who is this for, exactly? What does this say?
It was a subliminal message towards Xbox IMO just look at the end with the PS logos in the crowd, the statue or Alloy and the Playstation pawn holding the crown

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Don't take me down to the woke town city where the girls have blue hair and they're not pretty.
Ouuh I don't wanna call it home.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I'm surprised more people don't see this. It's a pretty clear ode to multiplayer on Sonys part. PlayStation seems to be starting its reposition as a multiplayer brand moving forward.

yurinka

Edit: Mishima Zaibatsu logo from Tekken, probably teasing Tekken 8 (at first I thought it was a modified Hellgast logo)

image.png

This symbol in the left is on Ryu's globes. Street Fighter VI was planned for late 2022 as multiplatform crossgen game, probably now is planned for 2023:
image.png

image.png

Last edited:

Fahdis

This (0:27) seems like a modified Hellgast logo upside down. Maybe a new Killzone planned with Hellgast changed to become good guys?:

image.png

how-to-draw-killzone-helghast-logo-killzone_5e4c958d761d56.43230742_43537_3_3.jpg

Mate... that's the Mishima Zaibatsu logo from Tekken. I wish a new KZ was coming but looka like Guerilla has abandoned us.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Sony is the king at marketing. They love using emotion in there marketing, like all the best marketing.

yurinka

I'm very sad I didn't find any Wipeout reference, which makes me sad.

Mate... that's the Mishima Zaibatsu logo from Tekken. I wish a new KZ was coming but looka like Guerilla has abandoned us.
I'm not a Tekken guy, sorry.

Kerotan

This is most likely targeted to a different audience than me because I thought it was a waste of time, especially taking into consideration that the presentation was 40 minutes long. Then again, taking into consideration the content that was present, no wonder time was wasted with this ad...
40 mins was long enough to show a lot of things.

Top Bottom