• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation – Play Has No Limits

Cutty Flam

Banned
Loved this intro to start the PS5 presentation

Except those two pawns. You couldn't find an uglier couple of broads to act if you tried. Fucking hate it when directors ruin a great cinematic experience by placing actresses that have zero business being on camera

BaneIsPain

You Are Spider-Man GIF

FrozenFlame

This is most likely targeted to a different audience than me because I thought it was a waste of time, especially taking into consideration that the presentation was 40 minutes long. Then again, taking into consideration the content that was present, no wonder time was wasted with this ad...

Cutty Flam

Banned
As Bosman put it: this was VERY 2003, and perhaps not in a good way.

Pretentious nonsense, honestly. Who is this for, exactly? What does this say?
The video OP posted? Not sure if you play chess or not, but the outcomes of a chess game are not limitless, but may as well be. It can't be pretentious if the theme matches exactly what they're going for

ZywyPL

Banned
The slogan "Play has no limits" triggers me TBH, I feel like it's another "#4theplayers" a.k.a. false marketing that's actually the opposite of reality. Play has a lot of limits on Playstation, you are on Sony's/Ryan's mercy, all the patches, FW updates, remasters, DC's, pricing strategy etc. is a one big mess compared to PS4 where everything is so obvious and simple. If there really weren't any limits you'd just buy the game and it would be the absolute best version of it if played on PS5, and yet it's severely limited, mostly by a paywall. Like some say - PS5 as of now is the best PS4 model.

Zeroing

Banned

Video games are all about role playing, different characters, fantasy, multiplayer/building a team/ watching a game, cheering for that player… getting a better score aka taking the crown…

The trailer is not that complicated to understand.

Obviously they are trying to appear diverse and inclusive here… but how inclusive are you actually being if you pretty much exclude an entire section of your audience… especially when it’s still arguably your biggest one? 🤔
Maybe I play too many games where you build your own character but I assumed everyone on the trailer is an avatar of a player/real person.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is most likely targeted to a different audience than me because I thought it was a waste of time, especially taking into consideration that the presentation was 40 minutes long. Then again, taking into consideration the content that was present, no wonder time was wasted with this ad...
Given the action and setting seemed for n older crowd and they played a 1980s New Order song, they were probably targeting 40+ year olds.

The funniest thing about the clip was right before it, the show had a statement "Gameplay was captured on a PS5", yet Sony shows a 3 minute movie clip followed by a "Not actual gameplay" Star Wars Remake trailer.

Last edited:
Make an opening video showing games and nothing else. I don't care for bells and whistles like that, I don't have the time to sit through it when I've come to see the GAMES PRESENTATION.

ZehDon

Gold Member
"Play has no limits" is a tag line that fits Xbox's multiplatform approach better than PlayStation's "pay for patches" approach in terms of marketing.

This... whatever the fuck it was masquerading as a trailer for something... didn't do anything for me. And it utterly pales in comparison to my favourite PlayStation 4 advertisement:

Still absolutely lands.

Last edited:

NahaNago

Yeah this was a nope for me and just cringey. They went too artsy with this promotional video and should have made a more basic hype video.

thebigmanjosh

Gold Member

It’s marketing to other marketers.

PS has been leaning into this type of campaign advertising since Mary Yee took over global marketing in 2017 (when the three divisions merged into SIE). See the TV spots for PS4 Pro, last years PS5 ad, and this newest one.

GinSama

This really made the showcase start off on the wrong foot, 3-5 minutes of nothing. Its an okay ad, but to include it in the games showcase was a bad decision.

And I liked the crying doll PS3 ad better. At least I felt something. Slight unease is better than nothing.

The “old” commercials are gold….
And the Nintendo ones from the 80/90 are freaking epic and strange as hell.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The “old” commercials are gold….
And the Nintendo ones from the 80/90 are freaking epic and strange as hell.
Those were the times in the 80s/90s when TV ads were a combo of showing new systems and games, and also the mom and dad value play. Bundles, mail in offer free games, new low price etc..... lol

Azurro

Banned
The slogan "Play has no limits" triggers me TBH, I feel like it's another "#4theplayers" a.k.a. false marketing that's actually the opposite of reality. Play has a lot of limits on Playstation, you are on Sony's/Ryan's mercy, all the patches, FW updates, remasters, DC's, pricing strategy etc. is a one big mess compared to PS4 where everything is so obvious and simple. If there really weren't any limits you'd just buy the game and it would be the absolute best version of it if played on PS5, and yet it's severely limited, mostly by a paywall. Like some say - PS5 as of now is the best PS4 model.

Ah, good old FUD to what up to in the morning, courtesy of MS's astroturfing team.

I did get a chuckle at being at Ryan's mercy. I actually have his number, I call him to ask permission to leave my apartment and get a beer. What a tyrant. :)

EDMIX

I always loved the weird marketing shit they always have and the freedom they've given that department to freely make what ever.

Loved the ad.

Some of my favorites over the years.

Last edited:

kyussman

Obviously they are trying to appear diverse and inclusive here… but how inclusive are you actually being if you pretty much exclude an entire section of your audience… especially when it’s still arguably your biggest one? 🤔
I guess the thinking is that the white dude audience are fully captured within gaming so there is zero need to advertise to them.....but yea,diversity and inclusion seems to just mean the removal of white people these days,lol.

Rykan

Loved this intro to start the PS5 presentation

Except those two pawns. You couldn't find an uglier couple of broads to act if you tried. Fucking hate it when directors ruin a great cinematic experience by placing actresses that have zero business being on camera
I genuinely can't figure out which part of your post is more stupid or shallow. The fact that you think think that two completely normal looking people "ruin the great cinematic experience" or the bafflingly stupid argument that supposedly "unattractive people" have zero business being on camera. Your post has neckbeard written all over it.

Last edited:

Miles708

A whole lot of nonsense, just to justify the existence and the paycheck of all those employees graduated in all kinds of treacherous marketing courses.

As always, a waste of time and energy.

Great Hair

Banned
Any hints in this video?
a few (zoom in, some i´m not sure if just graffiti or belong to a game)

hints seen in the clip:
candy bar?
dark FF7 logo?
sly cooper logo
valtheasis 616 something out of FF apparently
new aloy skins for fallguys game + a wanted picture of a women (elden ring written over it?)
3x stickers at the ticket, trainstation "apparatus"
the blue bar sign looking familiar out of Devil May Cry?
the 4 Atari mushrooms, ghosts?
aloy and friends graffiti (where both girls are running)

Last edited:
Top Bottom