• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playing Final Fantasy XI in 2022

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
So, on almost a whim, I decided to try out FFXI since it was onsale super cheap and I was told the entire narrative is soloable now.

Man, I have never played a game that absolutely hates the idea that anyone is actually playing it so much before. Getting the game was my first hiccup. The website still looks like it is firmly out of 2002 and all of the links to get the game are of the archaic launcher with split archive downloads and don't work. So to simplify things, I just grabbed it off steam, it was like $9 so why not. I launch the configuration utility and set it up and I think I'm good, but no. Not even close. The Square account wasn't enough, I needed to create a playonline account that doesn't actually do anything since PlayOnline is dead. But I had to use the web site to create and add a PO account in my account settings. So that is all set up and after a restart of the launcher it now allows me log in and see the FFXI splash screen. But that doesn't allow me to actually play the game. I have to go BACK to the website, do a (immediately rebated) purchase for a character, relaunch the launcher AGAIN and then I can finally get in where I see that my resolution options set in the config utility did fuck all. I have to set the aspect ration now in the options. Eventually I actually got in game and am now trying to figure out what the fuck it actually wants me to do lol. I'm sure once I figure out the gameplay loop it will make sense but for now, none of these NPCs I have talked to have even given me a quest, so I just ran outside and started punching fish and rabbits.

swaffles23

FFXI is a tough game to get into.. it's not a game that holds hands at all. I'd recommend using a guide, There's some really good ones out there to help

Gandih42

I remember playing it back in the Vanilla WoW days. All my friends were playing WoW and I was sticking to Final Fantasy XI stubbornly, refusing the idea that WoW could be more fun to play. I eventually got to a point where I could only beat monsters my level by using an ability on a 24 hour cooldown (I probably sucked, but still) and caved.

Holy shit, even then the process of buying and starting FFXI was ridiculously obtuse compared to anything else, especially WoW. Never looked back after that.

In retrospect, I really appreciate the uniqueness and quirkiness of the game though. I hope you have fun with it.

GrayDock

Played it a lot on it's time, first the vanilla on PS2 an them on PC with it's 2 first expansions. At the time, updating wasn't that bad if you keep playing daily/weekly, but if you skip a month or so...
A SP version with NPCs to fill the rest of the group would be nice.
And Sandorian and RDM/BLM for life!

none of these NPCs I have talked to have even given me a quest
Oh you sweet summer child.

FFXI was made back in the day when MMOs didn't hold your hand.

That said, they added a system in FFXI called Records of Eminence that is made for the modern gamer, and generally points you in the right direction for the next quest. But don't expect any real meat to the story until the first expansion.
Focus on the Tutorial missions as well as the ones for your starter city

Also, try to pick up Trusts as soon as you can to make your adventuring more palatable.

Last edited:

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds

That said, they added a system in FFXI called Records of Eminence that is made for the modern gamer, and generally points you in the right direction for the next quest. But don't expect any real meat to the story until the first expansion.

Also, try to pick up Trusts as soon as you can to make your adventuring more palatable.
I'm okay with a lack of handholding. Morrowind is one of my most replayed games of all time, I just want a little direction until I get my bearings on the systems lol.

I'm okay with a lack of handholding. Morrowind is one of my most replayed games of all time, I just want a little direction until I get my bearings on the systems lol.
Yeah I hear ya. The thing about XI in general is that it was designed to be a game where you group up with others and discuss things, including what to do next. Since the playerbase has cratered on most servers, getting advice or direction from other players is no longer a real option. The Records of Eminence was intended to help out with that gap but in all honesty, it's still lacking. Like someone else said in the thread, the best option is having the Wiki open in another window to know exactly what to do next.

But don't ignore the RoE system in favor of the Wiki - it gives some pretty decent rewards to help with gearing up and adventuring in general.

Also, consider installing Windower for a 60fps unlock and other QoL plugins. Have fun!

It's probably the worst video game I've ever played. It baffles me how successful it became.
It's the best videogame I ever played. My only complaint is the fact my addiction to it consumed my life for about 6 or 7 years.

The FFXI that exists today is not the same experience it was in its prime. At all.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I like that meme format a lot but if I ever find the person who made it so reddit embeds autoplay videos with sound on I will end their existence via instantaneous sublimation of their body.

Last edited:

I think fighting Shadowlord is decent enough story; anf gettign through castle Zhavl at that level is no joke

Last edited:
Top Bottom