• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playing back and forth on PS4 and PS5 and transfering saves

Guy Legend

Looking for the answer to this: I just got a PS5 which is in a different location than my PS4 & I want to keep playing/continue the same game on both consoles. On Xbox this works seamlessly.

As I understand if you want keep playing the same PS4 game back and forth between PS4 & PS5 with your saved game:

- Need to make sure the system save is uploaded to the cloud (PSplus) or usb
- the cloud save is only updated at certain times - so you should keep the systems in rest mode to ensure the cloud of save is up to date. Or the save could be uploaded manually.
- you then have to manually download the newer save to the next system.

Does this sound correct?

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

Im not sure certain games will let your transfer you're save from PS5 to PS4 version unfortunately, I think the files get converted permanently if you move to PS5

yeah you can either transfer using USB stick or the cloud, which requires a playstation plus subscription. easiest way would be to just manually upload to the cloud. definitely not as seamless as it is on xbox.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
There are games that let you go back and forth and there are the ones where you can just go from PS4 to PS5 and not back. And even some that won't work entirely.

Better check before buying, if a game supports cross progression, if this is important to you.

The rest of the things you've stated are correct.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
Looking for the answer to this: I just got a PS5 which is in a different location than my PS4 & I want to keep playing/continue the same game on both consoles. On Xbox this works seamlessly.

As I understand if you want keep playing the same PS4 game back and forth between PS4 & PS5 with your saved game:

- Need to make sure the system save is uploaded to the cloud (PSplus) or usb
- the cloud save is only updated at certain times - so you should keep the systems in rest mode to ensure the cloud of save is up to date. Or the save could be uploaded manually.
- you then have to manually download the newer save to the next system.

Does this sound correct?
You can manually upload when you're done playing. Then you download it on the other end... Did this for Cyberpunk 2077, Far Cry 6 and others.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
You can’t unless you manually upload the saves every time you finish playing and manually download them before.

Last edited:

P.Jack

You can’t unless you manually upload the saves every time you finish playing and manually download them before.
This is what I do between 3 PS4s and a PS5. Works fine, just make sure you’re playing the PS4 version of the game on PS5. Otherwise it might not work, as stated above.

Top Bottom