• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playdead (Limbo/Inside) is working on an Unreal Engine-powered third-person open-world game published by Epic Games, first artworks

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
unknown.png

According to a job listing, Playdead’s next game will be an open world, 3rd-person science fiction adventure set in a remote corner of the universe. This game will be using Unreal Engine, and will be published by Epic Games.
Since Epic Games will publish, it, will probably be exclusive to Epic Games Store.

Unfortunately, that’s all we know right now. So yeah, don’t expect to be playing this game anytime soon.
Below you can find the new artworks for this unannounced game:

unknown.png

unknown.png

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Really enjoyed Inside and Limbo, so I'll be looking forward to this one for sure.

I hope this will be running on Unreal Engine 5.

Last edited:

Physiocrat

I am interested how they will tackle the Open World style. Limbo and Inside were great in part because there was always something new and different to do, not just wandering round for ages or doing repetitive actions.

I suppose though I am cautiously optimistic. We shall see

Duchess

I imagine this will arrive on next gen consoles at some point. I'm quite fond of their art style, myself. Having it would full 3D would be interesting.

Epic should start to leverage their engines in the store war with Steam by throwing out no royalties fees for exclusivity to their store. No brainer. Lots of devs hurting for good tech. Obviously it has to be balanced of course as to not hurt their core model.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Inside was released 4 years ago. So i assume this project isn't in it's infancy. Unless they partied for 4 years.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A new Playdead job listing has added a new detail, indicating that the new game is built on Unreal Engine 5.

The job listing in question is for an Experienced Landscape Artist on Playdead's development team. The job listing references an expectation for the applicant to "meet technical performance requirements in Unreal Engine 5." While the job listing doesn't explicitly state it's for Playdead's known project, which doesn't have an announced name, it does reference a "large, third-person, open-world" game. Barring the project being rebooted, it's safe to assume this is the game Playdead's been working on since Inside.

CamHostage

A new Playdead job listing has added a new detail, indicating that the new game is built on Unreal Engine 5.

The job listing in question is for an Experienced Landscape Artist on Playdead's development team. The job listing references an expectation for the applicant to "meet technical performance requirements in Unreal Engine 5."

At this point, we're close to* all Unreal Engine games ultimately being UE5 games, whether they use the engine well and go all Nanite/Lumen or not. So, don't read into that too too much.

Interesting development though, and I'm eager to see what PlayDead do with this game. (I'd actually love it if the game looked like those first artworks, with desaturated colors and brushstrokes for background detail but then rather realistic mech and character models. A mix of painterly and tangible could be cool.)

(*Technically, we are not actually there yet... in lots of ways, it's actually better for a developer to stay the course rather than "upgrade" from UE4 despite the conversion being seemingly seamless for baseline UE projects, and then I think stability and features is mostly accounted for but there are some missing or sunsetted features of UE4 that certain game designs would still need access to.)

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Big fan of Limbo and Inside. Singular games, both.

I get that Playdead want their audience to impose their own meaning on their games, but does it bug anyone else that
1) the developer has alluded to a "true" meaning behind Limbo
2) that someone on Reddit got very close to it, and
3) Playdead won't say who it was and has not revealed their intent behind the game?

My best guess as to what's going on:
Limbo = Car crash with sister. Protagonist caught in purgatorial loop
Inside = Human boy ascends to the next stage of evolution, 2001: A Space Odyssey-style? Walking through the stages of technological advancement (from rural to industrial to sci-fi) and ending by breaking out of the simulation?

Last edited:

BodhiHogie

Neo Member
This and whatever Ueda is working on, are two of my most anticipated titles...
I had no idea Ueda was working on anything. I thought he left the industry before TLG was finished and only stayed on as a “consultant” to help Mark Cerny finally get it out the door. Great news if true, and totally in keeping with Ueda’s ridiculous development cycle.

Bartski

Gold Member
top of my hype list for sure. It's been over 2 years we've last heard about this project, but knowing how insanely polished INSIDE is I'm not worried.

Top Bottom