• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Play Steam Games on Xbox Using Geforce Now

Jagz

That might actually backfire on Microsoft as now people won't buy native Xbox games, and just buy them for PC/Steam instead and stream them through their Xbox.

As a PC gamer, I wish Microsoft would just put a Windows 10 mode on the Xbox Series X; that would be the only reason for me to buy a Series X, so I can use it as a cheap second gaming PC.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
That's pretty cool; hopefully MS doesn't pull a Sony and get scared and not put a web browser out.

I have no plans on streaming games from a console but sometimes it's useful to pop on the web.

fatmarco

That might actually backfire on Microsoft as now people won't buy native Xbox games, and just buy them for PC/Steam instead and stream them through their Xbox.

As a PC gamer, I wish Microsoft would just put a Windows 10 mode on the Xbox Series X; that would be the only reason for me to buy a Series X, so I can use it as a cheap second gaming PC.
It'll more likely end the same way as the Retroarch on Xbox situation. Not enough people will actually use it for Microsoft to care.

reksveks

Those users should just invest in the Nvidia Shield honestly.

FritzJ92

I dont think thats what they want the Xbox platform to be, but i would support this also

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Sony pulled out the browser app because most PS4 jailbreak exploits were based on the browser.
That's unlikely considering the browser is still in the machine, and the OS uses it in places and you can break out to the web and click links and shit.

If it was for security reasons, I doubt they would have been so sloppy.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Sony pulled out the browser app because most PS4 jailbreak exploits were based on the browser.
Correct, MS apps running in Sanbox anyway, so there is very little danger this way... It's like Android for example, outside communication it's just by "intents" and those can be filtered.

DaGwaphics

Because the world is full of people who want to stream games on a box capable of playing them locally? 🤷‍♂️

Jake Gyllenhaal No GIF

Banned
on Xbox apps like these run in their own virtual machine. and the Xbox One systems haven't been jailbroken yet either despite having a browser.

one of the reasons it hasn't been is that there's no incentive from homebrew developers to do so. you can run homebrew on your Xbox without any jailbreak.

Banned

who the fuck would do that? that would be the biggest waste of money ever as cheap Android boxes can run Geforce Now just fine

Concern

Not really impressed. Why would you play wreckfest when its on consoles? Show me something not on consoles.

If I can play something like mordhau, im interested.

PhaseJump

Banned
Those users should just invest in the Nvidia Shield honestly.

Why? You would prefer Shield native games over Xbox native games?

I own a Shield TV Pro. It's worse compared to Xbox, the GeForce now stuff is limited to begin with, and even if you get around it with other streaming apps there's latency or input lag when dealing with their controller. Emulators have lag too.

reksveks

I own a Shield TV Pro. It's worse compared to Xbox, the GeForce now stuff is limited to begin with, and even if you get around it with other streaming apps there's latency or input lag when dealing with their controller. Emulators have lag too.
Talking about users whom want to use geforce now. The Geforce Now ux is alot better than trying to stream it via the xbox edge app.

Is it a 100 quid better an experience? Depends on your usage of GeForce Now and how much value you put in the AI upscaling in GeForce now.

Fahdis

That reaaalllyy depends on your internet and tier of usage. Im on Fiber. Geforce Now feels local.

As for lag... what do you expect from a 2019 machine?

Topher

Gold Member

Played a few minutes of Shadow of the Tomb Raider on my XSX with GeForce Now. It wasn't horrible. I'm on a free account so it is 720p and looks as bad on a 4K monitor as you think it would But the input latency was surprisingly low. It felt like I was playing the game on an old laptop connected to my monitor. The disappointing thing was that GN only gives you options to connect to your Steam and Epic game library. It would have been nice to see GOG there as well.

Top Bottom