• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlatinumGames Unsure Astral Chain Will Remain Exclusive To Switch, Ultimately It's "Nintendo's Call"

MagnesG

Banned
If they have such a good relationship with Platinum, then Nintendo is open to having them do another kickstarter.
Why do you think something so unprecedented happening in the industry can suddenly become a common course just because there's good relationship between them? Suddenly everything is not "business" anymore?

This is my last time trying to comprehend this kind of reaction.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
You are dealing with trolls/tools, they've repeated the same bullshit in at least 4 threads, each time following the same trajectory, from proclaiming "oh, it was timed, so everything ever is timed, I can't wait for Astral Chain PS4" to, after re-quoting the developers for them (which others have already done thrice in previous threads), yielding in that Nintendo unexpectedly according to Platinum itself allowed this given getting them involved and asking them to allow this 7 years later and stating so in interviews (when otherwise if rights simply reverted to the rightful owners after an exclusivity period there's no reason to mention Nintendo), then after also having to yield in that the developers are in fact super clear and super specific (rather than "blanket pr statements" etc.) about who owns Astral Chain (and the same for Bayo 2+ as was stated in the past) switching gears and going on about how they "could" allow more (theoretically true, they have the rights, they can, nobody else) yet twisting that into a "cool, they allowed it, so everything ever will be allowed, I can't wait for Astral Chain PS4" and supposedly not comprehending why that's a ridiculous expectation rather than something to celebrate on the very off chance it (never) happens (and how it's even more unlikely to happen during this PS4/PS5 generation) exactly because publishers, first or third party alike, aren't in the habit or business of relinquishing contractual rights and gifting games/IP they paid for left and right beyond super special circumstances such as this where the stars somehow aligned (yet Astral Chain's are clearly aligning differently to W101, as did Bayo's which Nintendo continued to invest in). As if anybody has argued against people going "wow, that's so cool, if only it happened more often" or "damn, wouldn't it be cool if this also happened for such from Nintendo or Sony or Microsoft, alas" vs the trolls/tools being adamant that it is nothing special or uncommon (because other games nobody said a publisher owns also are multiplatform or something and Platinum are dumb to be happily surprised) but an inevitability and Nintendo's shitty tablet has no gaemz (like they couldn't keep some if this started to appear true making their kindless and graciousness a negative for the company, when it's been established it's up to them, but nope, Nintendo now works against its interests and gives away all the shit they invested in and enabled the development of, they're a charity for third party developers, lol!).

Last edited:
Why do you think something so unprecedented happening in the industry can suddenly become a common course just because there's good relationship between them? Suddenly everything is not "business" anymore?

This is my last time trying to comprehend this kind of reaction.

I agree it's not likely, but there are reasons why he thinks this. platinum is about to raise 4 kick starter projects, or are these games already announced? Nintendo seemed pretty cool about the IP being made on another platform. why would you announce already announced projects again? If they are kick starters they will all be ports, and all the games they make are not owned by platinum. maybe they wanna port transformers or MGS rising, but again none of these are owned by platinum.

EDMIX

Why do you think something so unprecedented happening in the industry can suddenly become a common course

Easy, because it happened, the natural most logical assumption is that it will happen again. Never said this to be common course. Thats like saying Pokemon Go is "so unprecedented" Yea..that didn't fucking stop Mario Kart and Animal Crossing and Mario from joining Pokemon go.

Stop arguing that it being "so unprecedented" suddenly means it will NEVER happen again, as I'd argue it happening once is enough to assume it can happen again in the future. That would be like me seeing Everquest Online on PS2 go to PC and be like its "so unprecedented", that we shouldn't expect more Sony titles to be on PC, then proceed to have egg on my face when DCU goes on PC, Planetside 2 etc So the most fair thing to assume, is that such a thing clearly can happen again, vs NEVER AGAIN! I see next to no evidence of this never happening again. I'd say the good relationship many keep saying Nintendo has with this team even points to such a thing likely happening again. Its hard to argue something won't happen again, that clearly just happened.

When and or If Horizon Zero Dawn goes to PC,. do you really fucking think I'm going to say "oh bro, it was a 1 time deal bro and its so unprecedented, thus can and will never happen again". It makes next to no sense. Could you imagine someone cheating on you and the very next day they tell you its unlikely that they'll do it again and that them cheating that time was just "so unprecedented"?

I mean really? Why do I think a timed exclusive going to other platforms might point to other timed exclusives inevitably going to other platforms? Thats like acting shocked when you hear tales of vesperia go to PS3 as if you didn't just watch the same thing happen to Lost Planet, Bioshock and many more.

You are trying to understand how someone just saw 2 former exclusives go multiplatform, is expecting the same thing to continue in some form....

Why was I suppose to assume Octopath, Little Town Hero, Wonderful 101, Zombi U, Daemon x machina etc where all just 1 time deals? Yet that isn't 1 time is it? That is many times, but ignore that and those are just 1 offs and it won't happen anymore, just those times..... That sounds more unbelievable to me then anything man.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
Here is a quote from an interview with Platinum boss Atsushi Inaba explaining their good relationship with Nintendo and how they allowed P to use W101 for multiplatform release.

"Platinum has a really good relationship with Nintendo. We’ve been with Nintendo from the very beginning and we’ve released a lot of games with them, including Astral Chain which recently released and was a big success. So I think it’s largely thanks to our relationship with Nintendo that they kind of decided to give us a break. I think it’s our history that it’s largely attributed to. We were quite surprised ourselves. This is usually not something that is allowed in the games industry. We see it as a very unique opportunity that Nintendo has given us and we’re pleased to have it."

I saw “half-owned by Nintendo” and thought “that’s never happening then”; but then I read this quote.

I wouldn’t put tremendous odds on it, but I guess I can’t rule it out.

Glad to see Platinum and Nintendo are on such good terms.

EDMIX

I rather they make new games. I think the new strategy might be getting kick starters for ports making money off those then making new bigger games with bigger budget. with ps5/xsx coming up. i'm not interested in switch or wiiu ports.

The members needed to port is very small, so it won't really interfere with new games. Some port teams can be as small as 15 members.

I wouldn’t put tremendous odds on it, but I guess I can’t rule it out.

Pretty much. For all we know, that good relationship is what will be cited as for the reason for allowing them to port Astral Chain or something.

Meesh

Folks will say or do anything to get that sweet sweet Platinum Games love on their system of choice.
Yes, yes... we're all so in love with Nintendos "lucky charms".

*Edited because that wasnt supposed to be negatively sarcastic.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

Yes, yes... we're all so in love with Nintendos "lucky charms".

*Edited because that wasnt supposed to be negatively sarcastic.
Eh, my post is more of a reaction to the "W101 is mulitplat now... every Platinum (or exclusive Nintendo) game is sure to follow!" conclusion jumping shown by some.
Reminds me heavily of the whole "wen PS4 Bayonetta 3" situation:

Somehow that was two years ago :messenger_neutral:

In an ideal world every platform would get Platinum's games.

Meesh

Eh, my post is more of a reaction to the "W101 is mulitplat now... every Platinum (or exclusive Nintendo) game is sure to follow!" conclusion jumping shown by some.
Reminds me heavily of the whole "wen PS4 Bayonetta 3" situation:

Somehow that was two years ago :messenger_neutral:

In an ideal world every platform would get Platinum's games.

I get ya, I just thought it was funny. I mean, I don't think Sony or Microsoft have quite as many die hards complaining about their exclusives, but "everyone" seems to complain about Nintendos not being multiplat or whatever. But I know what you're saying 😃
So when was Bayo hitting PS4? Lol

Top Bottom