• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlatinumGames says it doesn’t expect Japanese creators to shun PS5, recent report accused Sony of "not taking Japan seriously" amid low launch figures

Woopah

L O L you guys crack me up, care to post examples of said companies?
Nippon Ichi is a good example. So far all Disgaea titles launched exclusively on PlayStation, but Disgaea 6 launched on Switch and PS4 on the same day in Japan (and is Switch exclusive in the West). They would be the type of company I would expect to focus on Switch/PS4 for the future and not move to PS5 until it has a larger userbase.

This has happened before with the PS3, but it was not due to censorship but to it being hard to develop for. Japanese developers mostly decided to make games for consoles that were popular in Japan at the time and that were easier to develop for, such as the DS, PSP and Wii.

If PS5 ends up selling as bad as the PS3, along with the lack of Sony's support for Japan and censorship, I wouldn't be surprised if mid to small-sized japanese developers would migrate entirely to Switch and/or PC.

This is not about console wars, it's about companies choosing the most favorable market for their audiences so that they'll be able to survive.
L O L Senran Kagura's chose to leave rather than develope the game for Switch or change his "vision" so the series is dead so I'll give you that, but a fucking visual novel that also released on PS4 anyway L O L, besides these articles are from 2018 when this Sony censorship shitstorm was going on and notice how nobody talks about it nowadays? Did Atelier Ryza 2 got censored? No.

Talk to me when companies like Koei Tecmo, Falcom, NIS start to pull out and not just release their games as times exclusives on Switch and then release it on PS4 weeks later like Blaster Master Zero 1&2, Gunvolt, etc.

Nippon Ichi is a good example. So far all Disgaea titles launched exclusively on PlayStation, but Disgaea 6 launched on Switch and PS4 on the same day in Japan (and is Switch exclusive in the West). They would be the type of company I would expect to focus on Switch/PS4 for the future and not move to PS5 until it has a larger userbase.
Disgaea 5 bombed at release that's for sure, that's why 6 is 3d and doesn't use sprites or expensive voice actors (sieyuus for the weeb) as for the loclized exclusivity watch as NISA releases it on PS5 months later, it's just the usual marketing bullshit by NISA.

Woopah

Disgaea 5 bombed at release that's for sure, that's why 6 is 3d and doesn't use sprites or expensive voice actors (sieyuus for the weeb) as for the loclized exclusivity watch as NISA releases it on PS5 months later, it's just the usual marketing bullshit by NISA.
Could very well be ported to PS5 later but I think it'll be a while. Their next release Fuuraiki 4 is also NSW/PS4 and I expect that to be the norm for the next year or so. Whether they then go NSW/PS5 will depend on how the latter performs.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Talk to me when companies like Koei Tecmo, Falcom, NIS start to pull out and not just release their games as times exclusives on Switch and then release it on PS4 weeks later like Blaster Master Zero 1&2, Gunvolt, etc.
Koei Tecmo is a very big company, not a mid-sized one.

But yes, if Falcom jumps ship then it's indeed sign that things went bad. Pretty sure Falcom wouldn't do that though.

Koei Tecmo is a very big company, not a mid-sized one.

But yes, if Falcom jumps ship then it's indeed sign that things went bad. Pretty sure Falcom wouldn't do that though.
Nihon Falcom isn't small either! They're a publicly traded company and they know that their audience is on PlayStation since it was the platform that modern Falcom was reborn on after the dark ages of the 90's and early 2000s, but really the thing is porting a game from Switch to other platforms isn't a challenge like it is when it's done the other way.
Could very well be ported to PS5 later but I think it'll be a while. Their next release Fuuraiki 4 is also NSW/PS4 and I expect that to be the norm for the next year or so. Whether they then go NSW/PS5 will depend on how the latter performs.
I'm telling you dude it's a marketing trick something NISA is notorious for, i guarantee it's all so they could sell you the same game for full price on both platforms while boasting about 4K on PS5/4pro under the guies of "complete edition", and I wouldn't put it past them to charge 70$ for it.

Woopah

Nihon Falcom isn't small either! They're a publicly traded company and they know that their audience is on PlayStation since it was the platform that modern Falcom was reborn on after the dark ages of the 90's and early 2000s, but really the thing is porting a game from Switch to other platforms isn't a challenge like it is when it's done the other way.

I'm telling you dude it's a marketing trick something NISA is notorious for, i guarantee it's all so they could sell you the same game for full price on both platforms while boasting about 4K on PS5/4pro under the guies of "complete edition", and I wouldn't put it past them to charge 70$ for it.
They probably will do that, but I do think that they are taking userbase into account here. For several reasons sales for the PS5 will be slow this year, so for smaller companies it makes sense to wait before moving over.

Or rather most small to mid-size companies will do that. They'll be some Sony loyalists like Falcom which will jump on the platform relatively early on (or at least that is what I'm expecting).

This has happened before with the PS3, but it was not due to censorship but to it being hard to develop for. Japanese developers mostly decided to make games for consoles that were popular in Japan at the time and that were easier to develop for, such as the DS, PSP and Wii.

If PS5 ends up selling as bad as the PS3, along with the lack of Sony's support for Japan and censorship, I wouldn't be surprised if mid to small-sized japanese developers would migrate entirely to Switch and/or PC.

This is not about console wars, it's about companies choosing the most favorable market for their audiences so that they'll be able to survive.

That had more to do with the fact that Japanese developers had trouble transitioning to HD. Handheld games required way less budget than a PS3 game.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
That had more to do with the fact that Japanese developers had trouble transitioning to HD. Handheld games required way less budget than a PS3 game.
Indeed. Also, there was a japanese games boycott going on at the time, so they were mostly releasing games on Japan only.

MagnesG

Banned

Let's hope so. It's just that we're reaching into uncharted territories here with PC and the Switch becoming more and more viable as launch platforms, and PS5 being a PS5 in Japan. Cumulatively small and mid sized devs could actually only opt to release there because of their budget/ PS5 install base being too small, we have also seen how PS4 software fares now, sales have been really low for any kinds of release.

I'm just saying that having these devs not opting for PS platform could snowball into something bigger if Sony would still half ass-ing PS5 shipments, scalpers rampant.

I dunno what there market looks like atm. but if it declines on the console space on user base and it becomes increasingly difficult to get games going for the remaining players why not just drop it into the western markets focus on it and have all the people that will buy your game without problems and just say farewell to japan.

Focusing on a market that does't care anymore is kinda pointless in my eyes.

It's what made sony and Nintendo big to start with.

And frankly a simple search on google gives you this as most successful japanese games. All western democratic focused games. when i played mario or zelda or pokemon or street fighter, or final fantasy not a single second i though i was playing a japanese game.

1. Super Mario Bros. Super Mario Bros. ...
  2. Space Invaders. Space Invaders. ...
  3. Pac-Man. Pac-Man Credit: Rex Features. ...
  4. Pokémon. ...
  5. The Legend of Zelda. ...
  6. Street Fighter. ...
  7. Sonic the Hedgehog. ...
  8. Final Fantasy
Sonic is not japanese. It's made with japanese people.... sometimes.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

PS5 will be fine, as they explain its just not dedicated to a Japanese audience, but a worldwide one. Like PS4 it will have amazing exclusives from japan, but right now its expensive and has little games.

Switch can't take all of Japan simply because there is always demand for AAA games (that the Switch can't even run) thats where the PS5 (and PC/XSX) comes in.

Good from this is more diverse content, instead of Monster Hunter World 2 is Montser Hunter RISE, but World had massive sales surely a PS5 World 2 version will come anyways, while portable gamers are happy. Companies are preparing for next gen, but also waiting for the install base to grow (and we have seen glimpses of new games from SE and Capcom that won't come to Switch, both new ip and sequels)

Astral Dog

Basically all consoles get fantastic content, Switch gets SMT V, MHR, Rune Factory 5,Disgaea etc and PS5 gets new RE, FFXVI, FFVII-2,new FROM games,upgraded version of some Switch games, Capcom next gen games etc.

Everybody wins except console warriors and portable haters lol

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned
nowadays japan is too small of a percentage of the whole market to focus on it..no one is gonna shun a console just because it's doing badly in japan...especially when the alternative is a microsoft console
I've been meaning to talk about this. It seems that many Japanese companies, despite possible or realized success in foreign markets, do very little in terms of courting them or even acknowledging that their domestic market is small. Nintendo is perhaps the most egregious example with their focus, research and principle concerns being with the Japanese consumption of their product (like commuters).

Perhaps my perception is completely flawed, but it's the impression I've been left with.

And don't get me wrong, part of the charm of Japanese products is they're so.. Japanese. I'm glad they aren't caving to western pressure when it comes to things like "inclusion" and gender politics. I'm just referring to the inability or unwillingness to adapt in ways which make sense. You can stay true to your roots without pretending that your country is actually the place making you most of your money, and that there aren't other ideas or options worth pursuing. Remember the stories trickling out with the WiiU and Nintendo asking developers what they use Xbox Live and PSN for? What those services even do?

Obviously Sony is a Japanese company, but I feel like they've adapted better than others (Nintendo).

Is it a national pride thing? Culturally?

MagnesG

Banned
I've been meaning to talk about this. It seems that many Japanese companies, despite possible or realized success in foreign markets, do very little in terms of courting them or even acknowledging that their domestic market is small. Nintendo is perhaps the most egregious example with their focus, research and principle concerns being with the Japanese consumption of their product (like commuters).

Perhaps my perception is completely flawed, but it's the impression I've been left with.

And don't get me wrong, part of the charm of Japanese products is they're so.. Japanese. I'm glad they aren't caving to western pressure when it comes to things like "inclusion" and gender politics. I'm just referring to the inability or unwillingness to adapt in ways which make sense. You can stay true to your roots without pretending that your country is actually the place making you most of your money, and that there aren't other ideas or options worth pursuing. Remember the stories trickling out with the WiiU and Nintendo asking developers what they use Xbox Live and PSN for? What those services even do?

Obviously Sony is a Japanese company, but I feel like they've adapted better than others (Nintendo).

You need passion to create something and perhaps western products don't appeal to them much? Then again Japan is still the 2nd biggest market of the world.

Mabdia

Well, if game developers like Bamco, Platinum, NIS, Nihon, and company say don't care about PS5, why should I?
If you put this and put together the fact that Sony might release theirs games on PC, I just don't need a PS5.

Let's hope so. It's just that we're reaching into uncharted territories here with PC and the Switch becoming more and more viable as launch platforms, and PS5 being a PS5 in Japan. Cumulatively small and mid sized devs could actually only opt to release there because of their budget/ PS5 install base being too small, we have also seen how PS4 software fares now, sales have been really low for any kinds of release.

I'm just saying that having these devs not opting for PS platform could snowball into something bigger if Sony would still half ass-ing PS5 shipments, scalpers rampant.
There's not a single Japanese game that's been released since the launch of the PS5 that's not also available on PS4, it's the same thing that happened during the early days of the PS4 just look at Deception IV, Tales of Zestiria and Tales of Berseria and with Atelier Ryza 2 this gen.

It's far too early for the doom and gloom especially with small-mid size Japanese games not needing the power of the PS5 anyway.

MagnesG

Banned
There's not a single Japanese game that's been released since the launch of the PS5 that's not also available on PS4, it's the same thing that happened during the early days of the PS4 just look at Deception IV, Tales of Zestiria and Tales of Berseria and with Atelier Ryza 2 this gen.

It's far too early for the doom and gloom especially with small-mid size Japanese games not needing the power of the PS5 anyway.
Sales in PS4 is not booming as it should be, PS5 would worse according to the current trajectory.

Doom and gloom is not coming now, it's later if Sony didn't anything to remedy it.

Sales in PS4 is not booming as it should be
??? It's the end of the gen, it's a home console not a portable and sold as well as it could've in the land of mobile gaming, what more do you want? I mean that as a non Japanese gamer you're getting all of their games on PS4/PC/Switch so what's your problem exactly? Why care if you're still getting those games on your prefered box at the end of the day?

MagnesG

Banned
??? It's the end of the gen, it's a home console not a portable and sold as well as it could've in the land of mobile gaming, what more do you want? I mean that as a non Japanese gamer you're getting all of their games on PS4/PC/Switch so what's your problem exactly? Why care if you're still getting those games on your prefered box at the end of the day?
Clear out your points I'm not sure what you're talking here. What I'm referring to is the software sales on PS4/ PS5 for the past 2 years, and how those sales will become going forward.

Who is seriously talking about low launch numbers in Japan? I live in Japan, but you can only sell as many consoles as are available. The situation is still the same here, a PS5 is something you cannot get easily your hands on. Believe me I tried nearly everything and entered every possible lottery and I still came up empty handed. Once the console hits Amazon or other online retailers the site is not responding because thousands of bots access the page and it is sold out within seconds. When a store get more units there is already a line with over 100 people and when you hear about the sale even if it is a near shop it is too late. The problem is extensive scalping here also, but that shows that the market is still there. The only way to get one now is to pay 250 Dollars above the normal price.

So every market analyst who speaks about low sale numbers has absolutely no idea what they are speaking about. As a gamer of course I am a little bit mad at Sony for not providing more units, but as a business man I understand the decision to focus also more on the America and Europe markets. Don't get me wrong, the market here is not so big compared to the USA or Europe (due to the fact that most people commute to work here by train (including myself) and a one way time of 2 hours is not rare (I also need 1 hour 45 minutes). So the mobile market is unbeatable) , but it is not so small like some people think if they read about the number of sold consoles.

Tschumi

Guys.. just the other day there was a video about people going crazy for a ps5 in a store in Tokyo. There's a market for it.

There are no consoles anywhere, when they stock up they'll sell out in minutes for months.

Japan's middle class is huge and heaps of those households are multi console ones.

Rumors of Sony being in trouble are.. exaggerated by orders of magnitude

Clear out your points I'm not sure what you're talking here. What I'm referring to is the software sales on PS4/ PS5 for the past 2 years, and how those sales will become going forward.
My points are clear, home consoles are a dying business in Japan that only a few hardcores are keeping alive, you think the Switch would've been successful if it wasn't a portable? Fat chance, the truth of the matter is if you want to make REAL money in Japan you make a mobile game, it's much MUCH cheaper to make and it ROI is absurdly high.

If you're a console/Core gamer outside of Japan what is it that you want from over there? Japanese console games are loclized more than ever because the real money is made outside of Japan, do you honestly think Atelier Ryza would've sold 800k puls if it was Japan only? Take a look at their sales, any mid size non big name console JRPG sales ceiling seems to be around 200-300k, Persona only cracked the 1 million ceiling with P5!

D.Final

Banned
Guys.. just the other day there was a video about people going crazy for a ps5 in a store in Tokyo. There's a market for it.

There are no consoles anywhere, when they stock up they'll sell out in minutes for months.

Japan's middle class is huge and heaps of those households are multi console ones.

Rumors of Sony being in trouble are.. exaggerated by orders of magnitude
Maybe in 2 years the things will be different

Boss Mog

Good high-profile Japanese games sell well in the West too so there's no reason for those devs to not support the PS5. Now if the dev only makes niche games that only sell in Japan, they might want to hold off or just keep making for the PS4 since that can be played on the PS5 as well.

Last edited:

Majukun

are you kidding me?
japan just came out from an huge wave of "westernization" of their IPs to try and cater to the much more lucrative western markets.

thing is, they failed because they lack the know how and the resources of many western publishers, and they ended up just losing sales from the customers that liked them for being so japanese.

only recently they went back to actually do some japan style stuff that netted much betetr results both in terms of quality and sales.

If Japanese developers port to PC there is no reason why they wouldn't port to PlayStation 5. The days when Japanese games could make money with a Japan only audience are long gone.

MagnesG

Banned
My points are clear, home consoles are a dying business in Japan that only a few hardcores are keeping alive, you think the Switch would've been successful if it wasn't a portable? Fat chance, the truth of the matter is if you want to make REAL money in Japan you make a mobile game, it's much MUCH cheaper to make and it ROI is absurdly high.

If you're a console/Core gamer outside of Japan what is it that you want from over there? Japanese console games are loclized more than ever because the real money is made outside of Japan, do you honestly think Atelier Ryza would've sold 800k puls if it was Japan only? Take a look at their sales, any mid size non big name console JRPG sales ceiling seems to be around 200-300k, Persona only cracked the 1 million ceiling with P5!
So what you're saying is "it is what it is" that this happen and there's no need for Sony to do anything?

We'll see how it goes then.

So what you're saying is "it is what it is" that this happen and there's no need for Sony to do anything?

We'll see how it goes then.
Beside releasing a handheld PS5 there isn't, and Japanese devs who want to make money need to release their games outside of Japan which is a win for everyone.

MagnesG

Banned
Beside releasing a handheld PS5 there isn't, and Japanese devs who want to make money need to release their games outside of Japan which is a win for everyone.
Or just release the games on Switch for small and mid sized devs, easy solution. What Sony could do is ramp up the PS5 shipping for Japan, I know they have their prioritizes, but if you kill off these small fishes and algae you actually kill off the entire whole ecosystem.

Last edited:

KingT731

Simply put there's a reason Japanese devs make PS4/Switch games and you can see that as soon as you start looking at 3rd party software sales on Nintendo platforms. I do think Sony should be extending a hand to those smaller devs though.

Or just release the games on Switch for small and mid sized devs, easy solution. What Sony could do is ramp up the PS5 shipping for Japan, I know they have their prioritizes, but if you kill off these small fishes and algae you actually kill off the entire whole ecosystem.
How are they killing them? 90% of the games that run on switch is on PS4/5, and shipment of PS5 will ramp up after this whole COVID-19 business is done with.

MagnesG

Banned
How are they killing them? 90% of the games that run on switch is on PS4/5, and shipment of PS5 will ramp up after this whole COVID-19 business is done with.
We're strictly talking about Japanese market here, no consoles means no software sales as showed by the PS5 numbers, and software sales for PS4 have been absolutely pitiful too. That's how you kill off their support, by not shipping consoles adequately to the market.

When do you expect this COVID-19 business to end? Next year?

Woopah

If anything the opposite happened. Japanese companies became very focused on succeeding in the West and that's where they made their games for.

Nintendo on the other hand continued to make games for everyone, and as a result they have been the ones to get the lion's share of the Japanese market's growth in recent years (while also making inroads in other East Asia countries).

The trouble with Japanese third parties isn't not acknowledging that their domestic market is small. Is that they've forgotten that their domestic market is the 2nd largest in the world.

Some have now made some changes to their strategy and they will be the ones to reap the rewards in 2021.

We're strictly talking about Japanese market here, no consoles means no software sales as showed by the PS5 numbers, and software sales for PS4 have been absolutely pitiful too. That's how you kill off their support, by not shipping consoles adequately to the market.

When do you expect this COVID-19 business to end? Next year?
Dude every SINGLE game released with the exception of Demon's Souls has been on PS4 as well, hell even future titles such as Resident Evil 8, Horizon 2 etc will be on PS4 as well, and with full BC you can continue to release PS4 games well into 2022 with no problems (hell i bought Trails of Cold Steel 2 on PS3 in 2016!) just like Atelier Ryza 2 just and the game will detect if it was on PS5 and run with 4k or whatever enhancments.

COVID-19 will pass and life will go back to normal and PS5 production will truly be in full force and these discussions will be meaning less.

Razvedka

Banned
I see, so I was very off the mark. I figured the Japanese market would be behind both US and Europe. I appreciate the responses guys.

Edit: well I was partly right at least recently where Nintendo is concerned.

Regardless, my assessment that the Japanese were less concerned for foreign markets vs their domestic one seems to be off the mark.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
Simply put there's a reason Japanese devs make PS4/Switch games and you can see that as soon as you start looking at 3rd party software sales on Nintendo platforms. I do think Sony should be extending a hand to those smaller devs though.
Probably you're right

KingT731

Probably you're right
You can look at the JP charts for their game sales and, despite having nearly 2x the hardware sales (17.5M to 9.3M), the sales are pretty close with the PS4 versions of games selling better than the Switch version at times.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
Dude every SINGLE game released with the exception of Demon's Souls has been on PS4 as well, hell even future titles such as Resident Evil 8, Horizon 2 etc will be on PS4 as well, and with full BC you can continue to release PS4 games well into 2022 with no problems (hell i bought Trails of Cold Steel 2 on PS3 in 2016!) just like Atelier Ryza 2 just and the game will detect if it was on PS5 and run with 4k or whatever enhancments.

COVID-19 will pass and life will go back to normal and PS5 production will truly be in full force and these discussions will be meaning less.
You could see the numbers on those releases. I should reiterate further, even if the PS4 currently is big their sales potential for sotfware have already went downhill whereas PS5 there's too little numbers of consoles in the hands of consumer making new releases underperforming most of the time.

You better bet Returnal was delayed because of that, and why we're not seeing even a hint of Ratchet & Clank in this quarter when it was already showed like almost complete last year. There's not much console of the market + scalpers that their sales potential is dangerously too at the moment.

And we would probably be seeing the same thing throughout 2021.

Last edited:
You could see the numbers on those releases. I should reiterate further, even if the PS4 currently is big their sales potential for sotfware have already went downhill whereas PS5 there's too little numbers of consoles in the hands of consumer making new releases underperforming most of the time.

You better bet Returnal was delayed because of that, and why we're not seeing even a hint of Ratchet & Clank in this quarter when it was already showed like almost complete last year. There's not much console of the market + scalpers that their sales potential is dangerously too at the moment.

And we would probably be seeing the same thing throughout 2021.
So we're not talking about Japan anymore? Again your arguments would be sound if there wasn't a global pandemic messing everything up.

And as for delays of R&C and Returnal given the current state of the US in general I'm not surprised.

MagnesG

Banned
So we're not talking about Japan anymore? Again your arguments would be sound if there wasn't a global pandemic messing everything up.

And as for delays of R&C and Returnal given the current state of the US in general I'm not surprised.
Both are affected, and for Japan it will be worse.
I should stop with this doom and gloom preaching though it's not that bad of a situation, it's just concerning.

Fbh

True
But they are connected with their people

Definitely.
I'm just saying, Ps5 not being a crazy hit in Japan probably won't cause big devs like Capcom, Square, Bandai Namco, etc to shun it, because they are getting most of their sales from other countries anyway.
But I wouldn't be surprised if smaller games from more niche genres or franchises migrate to primarily releasing on Switch.

Astorian

Most Japanese developers have realized that they don’t have to rely on their home market anymore, PlayStation gets their support due to its strong WW presence.

Top Bottom