• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlatinumGames‘ Hideki Kamiya has apologised to players and Microsoft for the events that led to the cancellation of Scalebound.

Concern

Yeah, they stole a third parties money to use for another third parties game

Use your head you idiot

Self Defense Fighting GIF

Fight fight fight

Enjay

Banned
This is the game that he pulled a Randy Pitchford on with Microsoft right? Would be great if they replied to him to ask his mom.

Enjay

Banned
Besides Tencent is already in the process of acquiring them... hmm maybe this is a stealth "please rescue me" to microsoft from kamiya.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Little Chicken

Gold Member
So they wanted an Eastern developer of single player games make a Western multiplayer game? Yeaaaahh
I was looking forward to it, really. But now? Focus on Bayo 3, hope it will be good.
No, this was the game he wanted to make, even with the ugly "photorealistic" graphics, it was all Platinum.

This apology really should've come out the day of the cancellation, good on Microsoft for shielding the devs from all of the bad publicity I suppose.

Kacho

Gold Member

It’s true though. I’m not saying literally no one cared about the game, but the general consensus was that the game looked awful and probably would have been bad. I’d love to see Kamiya go back to the drawing board and try something new.

I'll kinda always view what they did as stealing from Microsoft. I don't believe for a second they could produce a better quality game than what they showed. They clearly dedicated the real resources, financial and otherwise, elsewhere.

brendan-mccaffrey-thevideogamegallery-21137-2560x1440-1920x1080.jpg

Exceptionally mature of him to take this position.

That said, if Platinum didn't have the chops and the experience to build the game with the online features MS wanted, MS could have cut back on those features and focused on the core SP game which is a dev team like Platinum Games' core strength.

To me, if a dev known for SP games primarily, is failing to execute on something that's outside of their comfort zone, i.e. MP, it's on the game producer (and by proxy the publisher) to rejig the scope of the project to play to the dev's strengths. Why even contract Platinum in the first place if you want them to make something they have very little experience making? Why not contract a dev with more experience in MP games?

If MP was so important, they could have brought in another studio to help with the MP modes. Cancelling the game was premature and showed that MS Games Studios at some point stopped believing in the project, which probably had more to do with where they saw the project fitting into their publisher portfolio than anything else.

I mean, MGS bankrolled the abortion that was fucking Crackdown. I'd much rather have had a scaled-down SP-only Scalebound than that POS.

PJX

Yeah, they stole a third parties money to use for another third parties game

Use your head you idiot
I'm not saying Platinum is guilty of doing what the poster is accusing them of doing. It is something that happens on the regular in the industry though.

Level 5 did it to MS with Fantasy Live Online.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Show the evidence then if it's so clear
Where did they get the budget for Nier Automata? Yoko Taro games never got that budget from Square Enix in his previous titles. They even made an engine specifically for Nier Automata but used Unreal Engine for Scalebound. They kept missing milestones as if they never truly worked on the game. You are telling me 200+ devs worked on Scalebound while working on all of these
unknown.png

Many devs assemble a demo to show off in stage like the Anthem E3 demo, but in this case they didn't even put some effort into making the demo. Also, weird that they tell everyone multiple times its not Microsoft's fault, but people still choose to put the blame where they want to.4
This is just one of the many times they apologized for this.

Honesty, props to MSFT for not throwing them under the bus when it was canceled. Everyone attacked MSFT on social media, and they pretty much just took it. Sounds like they could have easily just said, "hey, PG fucked up. direct your hate at them."
If only certain people in this thread took MSFT's example here.

If they had more of an awareness how many canceled projects with millions of dollars in developments costs have occurred over the general span of videogame history, they'd probably have heart attacks. Sometimes projects just don't work out, and it's no one particular person or group's fault.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Honesty, props to MSFT for not throwing them under the bus when it was canceled. Everyone attacked MSFT on social media, and they pretty much just took it. Sounds like they could have easily just said, "hey, PG fucked up. direct your hate at them."
No one will believe that though.

Where did they get the budget for Nier Automata? Yoko Taro games never got that budget from Square Enix in his previous titles. They even made an engine specifically for Nier Automata but used Unreal Engine for Scalebound. They kept missing milestones as if they never truly worked on the game. You are telling me 200+ devs worked on Scalebound while working on all of these
unknown.png

Many devs assemble a demo to show off in stage like the Anthem E3 demo, but in this case they didn't even put some effort into making the demo. Also, weird that they tell everyone multiple times its not Microsoft's fault, but people still choose to put the blame where they want to.4
This is just one of the many times they apologized for this.

They didn't develop a game engine specifically for automata. It's the same in-house engine they've used.

You're acting like Nier Automata was some high budget AAA game. It wasn't. It's the same barren JPRG world like the original Nier. Only difference this time was it had good combat

It's almost like Platinum Games is made up of multiple teams and directors? This is normal for a big indie dev relying on contract work. Here's insomniac as an example

hxMdt9U.png

Last edited:

sendit

Plantinum is a hit or miss studio. Seeing how bad their upcoming game Babylon Falls is and it was probably for the best they canceled it. They definitely need to start
gaining experience on how to navigate the current AAA landscape.

Thanks for the video. Babylon Fall is going to be amazing.

I'm not saying Platinum is guilty of doing what the poster is accusing them of doing. It is something that happens on the regular in the industry though.

Level 5 did it to MS with Fantasy Live Online.

It's not regular. There are two rumoured cases of it happening with no actual substantial evidence to even back them.

I don't think people understand just how serious these claims are

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
It’s true though. I’m not saying literally no one cared about the game, but the general consensus was that the game looked awful and probably would have been bad. I’d love to see Kamiya go back to the drawing board and try something new.
I haven't even heard about this game until I watched that Wha Happun? video and I thought that the general concept and some of the gameplay footage looked incredible. I would love to play that game.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Exceptionally mature of him to take this position.

That said, if Platinum didn't have the chops and the experience to build the game with the online features MS wanted, MS could have cut back on those features and focused on the core SP game which is a dev team like Platinum Games' core strength.

To me, if a dev known for SP games primarily, is failing to execute on something that's outside of their comfort zone, i.e. MP, it's on the game producer (and by proxy the publisher) to rejig the scope of the project to play to the dev's strengths. Why even contract Platinum in the first place if you want them to make something they have very little experience making? Why not contract a dev with more experience in MP games?

If MP was so important, they could have brought in another studio to help with the MP modes. Cancelling the game was premature and showed that MS Games Studios at some point stopped believing in the project, which probably had more to do with where they saw the project fitting into their publisher portfolio than anything else.

I mean, MGS bankrolled the abortion that was fucking Crackdown. I'd much rather have had a scaled-down SP-only Scalebound than that POS.

Watch the interview series and its very apparent Kamiya is (1) a really nice man, and (2) extremely self-critical and deprecating.

Kamiya is doing the right thing by owning his part in the failure of the project, but I have absolutely no doubt there was fault on both sides. The guy's track-record speaks for itself, and if he ended up out of his comfort-zone on Scalebound you have to question MS production-side for putting a star developer in that position in the first place.

Reading between the lines my suspicion is that (like a lot of Xbox' internal projects around that time) it got fucked over due to corporate strategy demands putting the creative leads into a no-win situation. I can well imagine Kamiya freaking out under the circumstances because -and again, this is so him if you watch the series- because he's genuinely invested in his work and isn't one to hide his feelings.

I know you're joking but that would be the worst cop in the history of copping. Without the talent that studio would be worthless. lol

Wait, if Microsoft buys up Platinum all the people working at Platinum automatically become untalented?

PJX

It's not regular. There are two rumoured cases of it happening with no actual substantial evidence to even back them.

I don't think people understand just how serious these claims are
I'm telling you it is something that happens often. You don't have to believe me but I've witness it before and others I've worked with have told me the same.

I'm telling you it is something that happens often. You don't have to believe me but I've witness it before and others I've worked with have told me the same.

On an individual level, there's probably some small scale theft that happens

What people are claiming here though? No. It's not a regular occurance

Top Bottom