• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Platinum Games Atsushi Inaba and Hideki Kamiya talk about what Xbox should do for Japan and debunk aquisition rumours

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Microsoft’s Phil Spencer recently said he wasn’t satisfied with Xbox’s position in Japan and that he wants to improve it with Series X. What advice would you give him for how he can improve Xbox’s position in Japan?

Kamiya:
I don’t know if I’m really fit to give advice on how somebody should run their platform since only some of my games have sold well. But if I were to share my innocent opinion as a gamer, I would say that ever since the Xbox has been introduced to the Japanese market it’s always felt like something foreign and far away. It doesn’t feel like it’s ever been cultivated for Japanese tastes.

It reminds me of the NES and Super NES days when I had to go to these really niche game stores to get foreign games you could only get through import. They weren’t localised to Japan or anything, they were just imports that you were kind of buying just to have this rare token as a gamer.

I think that Microsoft Japan could do more to market towards actual Japanese gamers’ tastes for their console. If you want a concrete example, when you unlock an Achievement it says ‘Achievement unlocked’ and in Japanese, this phrase is translated extremely literally. Compare that with Sony’s Trophies: that idea is very easy to grasp and even in Japanese the word ‘trophy’ is the same as in English. There’s no awkward translation and it’s easy to understand.

Achievements have been part of Xbox since the 360 days and we’ve just come to expect it at this point, but it’s something that when I really think about it, doesn’t really have any meaning in Japanese. I feel like that could have been localised better. I think maybe someone should tell Phil Spencer that the Japanese translation for Achievement is a little literal [laughs].

Inaba: We love Phil Spencer by the way! We’re not trying to speak badly about him.

I agree with the foreign feeling nature of the hardware, but I also admire that Phil wants to try hard in Japan. I would love to give him some advice, but I also feel that the success route into Japan has not always been about having the best hardware. Sometimes it’s about familiarity. The biggest exception is the iPhone, but that was able to break in because it just took the world over – and it’s not easy to make something of that momentum every day. It’s a tough question that I don’t know the answer to.

Kamiya: The home menu translations feel a bit too literal too, by the way! [laughs]

On this same topic, Phil Spencer has also been very public in his desire to acquire a Japanese studio. Has Xbox been knocking on your door and would you be interested?

Inaba:
I did read some rumours about Xbox wanting to purchase PlatinumGames, and I thought, ‘people on the internet write the craziest stuff’, because that conversation has not come to our doorstep at all. That said, we’re not Microsoft, so we don’t know what happens behind their doors, we don’t know if they had any thoughts about it possibly.

Kamiya: Maybe somebody reminded them that I’m still at the studio, and they were like, ‘right then, forget that! We’re not going to acquire them!’

Inaba: We’ve not had any talks like that, but I think even if it was a possibility, we’re now going into more independent self-publishing. It’s not that we’re disinterested in Microsoft, but if the relationship were to be us working under their direction, I feel like that would be the opposite of what we’re trying to do now and limit our possibilities. Any opportunities that would limit our freedom I think we would be against.

Last edited:

Dee_Dee

Interesting read. Did know the translations were poor. Also after all this time they haven’t done anything to fix it....or maybe that’s something that is hard to fix? I’m not really familiar with how localization works

At the end of the day, Sony is a Japanese company. That has established itself for over 3 generations now as the powerhouse console. Brand loyalty in Asia is a real thing, especially when the brand is domestic.

Xbox should give up this dream. Focus on the US, Canada, Mexico and the UK.

Last edited:
S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
If they put the effort in, market Series X properly & make any kind of impact at all in Japan, I'll be hugely impressed.

I just don't see it happening. Fuck all they can do but try though.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Which is a shame.

Xbox with a studio like Platinum would get a lot of attention of PlayStation and Nintendo fans.

I really believe that MS needs a first party japanese studio to get more hardcore gamers.
I actually would love both Sony and MS have dedicated Japanese studios making JRPGs same way Nintendo has with Monolith Soft and Intelligent Systems.

Danjin44

At the end of the day, Sony is a Japanese company. That has established itself for over 3 generations now as the powerhouse console. Brand loyalty in Asia is a real thing, especially when the brand is domestic.

I see where you coming from, same way western developers making games thats mostly marketed towards west, Japanese devs makes games thats marketed towards Japanese gamers. So its hard for them make games exclusive for system thats mostly ignored in Japan. One day we might see games like Persona and DQ get released in Xbox but we will never, ever gonna see those those series be exclusive to Xbox.

I honestly didn’t know that DQ11 isn’t in on Xbox. That’s a bummer. Great game

I don’t know if it’s as simple as “MS just needs to give up” on Asia. It’s an uphill battle, and maybe insurmountable in the end, but they gotta keep trying. Any progress there is better than nothing.

Bernkastel

Which is a shame.

Xbox with a studio like Platinum would get a lot of attention of PlayStation and Nintendo fans.

I really believe that MS needs a first party japanese studio to get more hardcore gamers.
I think Microsoft may acquire White Owl or Itagaki, even JP games or Yuke's is a possibility. The Platinum Games and FromSoftware rumours are straight up bullshit. Even the Sega and Konami ones are wrong, since Microsoft does not want to acquire a publisher.

whitesugar

Banned
it's always felt like MS were half-assing it a bit outside their main territories - like with their different tiered launches from this gen., so not surprised to hear translations aren't the best. problem is, Playstation [and Nintendo, though they are in less direct competition] is so ingrained that any effort would probably make such small inroads in Japan as to be barely worthwhile. it's more likely that getting more Japanese games onto Xbox would help more in the west than Japan itself. Any Japanese studios that MS could likely get probably wouldn't be big enough to make an impact.

Danjin44

that's not interesting. PC Gamers in Japan obviously want to play something after their eroge.
It just you would imagine releasing DQXI in every major systems including PC but not Xbox.....why? Did you know original Valkyria Chronicles is not on Xbox even tho VC4 did came out Xbox.....again why?

jakinov

The 360 was era was a good evidence that even with better performing games, A lower price (?), a non shit OS, and a bunch of JRPG exclusives (timed or perpetuity). Japan still barely cared about the Xbox. You got bumps every time a game came out but PS3 generally kept selling better.

Arkam

I honestly didn’t know that DQ11 isn’t in on Xbox. That’s a bummer. Great game

I don’t know if it’s as simple as “MS just needs to give up” on Asia. It’s an uphill battle, and maybe insurmountable in the end, but they gotta keep trying. Any progress there is better than nothing.
It really is. For all the great things there are about Japan, its one xenophobic place. I am still amazed that the iPhone gets traction there. Fortunate for MS they are a smaller market, but not having the support of those devs is rough.

It really is. For all the great things there are about Japan, its one xenophobic place. I am still amazed that the iPhone gets traction there. Fortunate for MS they are a smaller market, but not having the support of those devs is rough.
iPhone in Asian countries are viewed as luxury items, status symbols essentially. In Korea for example even though a lot of people have Samsungs many have IPhones just to show off.

They put in a decent effort at the start of the 360 generation then just gave up all of a sudden. Like your not gonna see results that fast, if they stuck with it who knows where they would have been now.

Which is a shame.

Imagine if they got Mistwalker while they were still worth a dam. Now they're just mobile devs.

Bernkastel

Imagine if they got Mistwalker while they were still worth a dam. Now they're just mobile devs.
Mistwalker only acts like a producer, they are only 15 people. Lost Odyssey was made by feelplus and Blue Dragon by Artoon. Would love to see a Mistwalker - JP Games partnership.

MS spent an enormous amount of money trying to court Japanese gamers during the 360 era. It simply didn't pan out for them. In the end, the only thing propping 360 up in Japan was a few people obsessively playing The Idolmaster.

There aren't a lot of good reasons to keep trying for the shrinking Japanese core gaming market. Most of Japanese gaming is on mobile now, and most of that is gachas. At this point, even spending resources beyond just releasing XseX in Japan for the few American nationals stationed overseas who want it is a waste of money for MS. Focus on the West, it's where you still have a shot beyond a hope and a prayer.

Pallas

Gold Member
Funny interview, enjoyed it OP. Can also bury the rumor about platinum games hating Microsoft?

lachesis

As a gamer who has a Japanese-centric taste in games, I kinda get it. Most Xbox games doesn't somehow look like it originated from there - feels rather exotic and western. Problem is, the Japanese developer who makes the game, also seem to feel that way and somehow think making Western style of game would be the safe choice. I can only think of few exceptions to this rule - like Idol Master or few other games - so it's like never ending cycle of being a "gajin" of the gaming market in Japan.

Basically to win Japanese and other Asian market, they'd need to have pretty much all the available Japanese 3rd party games on Playstation side to release simultaneously on Xbox - but Sony is not dumb either that it will never happen like that. Perhaps a little bit of national loyalty is in play as well?

I would love to see more niche and mainstream Japanese games on Xbox Series X - To be perfectly honest, I am likely to get Series X on day one, but not for the any of announced 3rd party games (maybe except Ryuga Gotoku 7 - but I have been neglecting the series after Kenzan and 3 on PS3...) - but because of its BC enhancements of few select games that I like (Mostly Japanese games)

teezzy

Banned
They made the controller like 3% smaller to accommodate Asian hands. Series x will dominate now. 🤔

Last edited:

Durask

Have to remember that mainstream gaming in Japan is now on mobile + switch (distant second) , consoles are for more hardcore gamers.

So with shrinking console market I think that it will be a waste of time to launch it in Japan.

Durask

MS spent an enormous amount of money trying to court Japanese gamers during the 360 era. It simply didn't pan out for them. In the end, the only thing propping 360 up in Japan was a few people obsessively playing The Idolmaster.

There aren't a lot of good reasons to keep trying for the shrinking Japanese core gaming market. Most of Japanese gaming is on mobile now, and most of that is gachas. At this point, even spending resources beyond just releasing XseX in Japan for the few American nationals stationed overseas who want it is a waste of money for MS. Focus on the West, it's where you still have a shot beyond a hope and a prayer.

I think they'll make more money in Japan if they just pushed PC gaming for hardcore crowd who likes competitive Western games.

Danjin44

Maybe Sony should give Japan Studio more TLC.
You have no idea how much I want that but these days it seems Sony cares far more about their western studios. I like some of their western games like God of War, InFAMOUS and TLOU but the reason I got in to Playstation in the first place is because of their Japanese titles.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Xbox will be important in Japan once they fully release xCloud there. Console wise, they never have been and regardless of what they do, they never will be.

As for Microsoft acquiring Platinum, no thanks. Glad that's not happening. Would much rather see Microsoft build a brand a brand new studio from the ground up instead of acquiring a studio based in Japan.

Greeno

I think I agree with him. The marketing of Xbox in non-English speaking countries is tailored to English and American attitudes.

Microsoft has marketing teams all over the world but usually these marketing teams are underused. In my country (an Arab country), translations seem to be made without consideration of our attitudes. The same is true for all console manufacturers (relative to my country).

Reactions: GHG

Majukun

The 360 was era was a good evidence that even with better performing games, A lower price (?), a non shit OS, and a bunch of JRPG exclusives (timed or perpetuity). Japan still barely cared about the Xbox. You got bumps every time a game came out but PS3 generally kept selling better.
you don't conquer a market with a couple games.
japanese players didn't bought a 360 because they knew that outside that handful of japan focused exclusives, it was still gears of war land

Interesting read. Did know the translations were poor. Also after all this time they haven’t done anything to fix it....or maybe that’s something that is hard to fix? I’m not really familiar with how localization works
Nah, it's not hard. You only have to get a great translator

jakinov

you don't conquer a market with a couple games.
japanese players didn't bought a 360 because they knew that outside that handful of japan focused exclusives, it was still gears of war land
It wasn't a couple it was a lot more than that. Microsoft had multiple games released exclusively for the platform from Capcom, Mistwalker, Square Enix and Namco Bandai. Though a handful of the games did eventually come to PlayStation within a year or two, people didn't know that was going to happen . That fact that the console has 4 Gears of War games means nothing to how many JRPGs it had and shouldn't be any reason for a Japanese gamer to want an Xbox less. Despite Microsoft having a bunch of JRPG exclusives, having a better user-experience,OS/features, having mostly the same games for everything else, games performing better, etc. Japan still didn't really care for them. The only game that the 360 didn't have that sold well in Japan was MGS4. Unlike the Xbox One, the 360 got great support from developers.

GHG

Gold Member
I think I agree with him. The marketing of Xbox in non-English speaking countries is tailored to English and American attitudes.

Microsoft has marketing teams all over the world but usually these marketing teams are underused. In my country (an Arab country), translations seem to be made without consideration of our attitudes. The same is true for all console manufacturers (relative to my country).

Yep it's something I didn't even realise until I moved to the middle east and started talking to people here. They throw out the same adverts here that they did in the UK but just translate them and throw in a new voice over whereas Sony and Nintendo have advertisements unique to this region that you won't see anywhere else.

They need to get local teams in every region and entrust them with marketing the console in a way that will resonate with the local practices and cultures.

Nah, it's not hard. You only have to get a great translator

Translation is one thing but interpretation is another thing entirely. It's the interpretation side that they are really lacking.

Last edited:
We cant even get japanese games in america on xbox, it’s nuts to me that dq11 is on switch and ps4 but not xbox

It’s because not many people would even give Dragon Quest on Xbox a chance for the obvious reasons. The demographic just isn’t there. Even though it probably wouldn’t cost a ton of money to port over, developers probably feel it’s a waste of time and resources.

Last edited:
Microsoft just need to leave Japan alone. I feel it’s a waste of time and just keeps burying their reputation or presence deeper in the hole in Japan. If they are not going to go all out with some exclusive, high tier Japanese studios churning out exclusive great games one after another, I wouldn’t even think about it again. Even Sony isn’t doing as good in Japan as other parts of the world, so that should tell you something.

Top Bottom